Jump to content

Maxfli Tour


chisag

Recommended Posts

Playing the Maxfli Tour (Gloss White ONLY!) for 8 rounds now.  Could not be happier with everything about the ball.  I also use the CG for placement on the tee, and don't use it as an alignment aid but make sure it's on the line I am putting.  I tried a sleeve of the Tour X but think the Tour is best for my game.  I find I am getting much improved distance over the Bridgestone RXS and Contacts, as well as the Callaway Chrome Soft and Supersoft, and also Pro V-1s (although the Pro Vs are a bit older but new out of the box).  Just a really good ball - I won't be switching any time soon. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Which ball you play has very little impact on your score unless you’re scratch, and probably not even then. I’ve been a single digit handicapper most of my adult life (currently 6.7 index, up from 3.5), and I play whatever I find in the bushes or the creek. I especially like Top Flites because my playing companions are so outraged by them. The only exception is a ball that is obviously damaged. Mower cuts, bubbles on the surface. I won’t play those more than one round.

  • Like 2

Not afraid to play hickory, vintage Hogans, or Top-Flites.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just bought 4 dozen. I've been left dash guy for a couple years but bought a dozen TOUR and TOURX to try.  TOUR feels better and I get the same playability for $2.20 per ball as the $5.00 ball and don't have a heart attack when I hit it in the lake.  HEY! I'm not a pro.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I grabbed 4 doz around Christmas 2021 (2 Tour, 2 X). Played the X last week. I play to a 9.3 and to be honest I saw no difference between the MaxFli and a ProV1/X and even my usual ball, Srixon Z Star XV. I’m playing the MaxFli again tomorrow. I’ve come to the realization that at my level although I prefer a “premium” ball, I can go out and play a Kirkland 4 piece, a Titleist, Srixon….and I get the same playability. Am I hitting wedges into greens and pulling them back on a string? Sometimes, but certainly not on demand. Do I notice a higher trajectory from certain balls? No clue. Personally I think the guys that are ball snobs are more caught up in the brand name and what the brand tells them what the ball is designed to do rather than what they can actually do with the ball. I say this because I was also a ball snob but I’m seeing a big variety of alternatives to a ProV1/X that provide the same/similar performance at a considerably lower price. Just my opinion……

Callaway Epic SZ 9.5 degree driver

Callaway Epic 3 wood

Mizuno 2018 CLK 3 hybrid

Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-7 iron, MMC 8-PW

Mizuno T-20 50 deg gap wedge

Callaway Jaws 54 and 58 deg wedges

Ping Sigma G Wolverine T putter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Gullbyrd said:

Which ball you play has very little impact on your score unless you’re scratch, and probably not even then. I’ve been a single digit handicapper most of my adult life (currently 6.7 index, up from 3.5), and I play whatever I find in the bushes or the creek. I especially like Top Flites because my playing companions are so outraged by them. The only exception is a ball that is obviously damaged. Mower cuts, bubbles on the surface. I won’t play those more than one round.

You'd probably be a scratch player if you stuck with one good golf ball. Buy a dozen and see what happens.

  • Like 2

Krank Formula X Veylix Alpina 573 45" 9*

:755178188_TourEdge:CBX 3 Wood Matrix HD Radix S VIII 43" 15*

Krank Formula X 5 Wood Matrix HD Radix S VIII 42" 18*

Wishon Golf 775HS 3H Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid X-Flex  39.75" 21*

Wishon Golf 585HI 3DI  same shaft as irons 38.25" 21*

Wishon Golf 575 MMC Forged 5-A N.S.Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Wishon Golf Micro-Groove HM S, L same shaft as irons 

:EVNROLL: ER7B Gravity Grip 35"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Slap said:

You'd probably be a scratch player if you stuck with one good golf ball. Buy a dozen and see what happens.

 

... One of my old playing pards refused to believe golf balls made any difference in his scoring. He played to about a 10 but was short off the tee but had a very good short game and played balls he found because he wasn't frugal, he was self admittedly cheap LOL. "Why should I pay for balls when I find plenty of them on the course?" The problem of course was one chip/pitch rolled out 10 feet and another only 4 feet. I tried to tell him those 6 feet and full shots rolling or stopping are the difference between a 5 and a 10 index for him and he said even if that were so, it wasn't worth actually paying for balls when you can get them free. 

  • Sad 1

Driver:     :cobra-small: LTDx 10.5* ... AD-IZ 6SR
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
                 :taylormade-small: DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
Irons:        :cobra-small: 4-Pw MIM Tour ... Steelfiber i95R
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 50*/MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber i95R
Putter:      :cleveland-small: Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:           :taylormade-small: Maxfli Tour '22/TP5x '21

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, chisag said:

 

... One of my old playing pards refused to believe golf balls made any difference in his scoring. He played to about a 10 but was short off the tee but had a very good short game and played balls he found because he wasn't frugal, he was self admittedly cheap LOL. "Why should I pay for balls when I find plenty of them on the course?" The problem of course was one chip/pitch rolled out 10 feet and another only 4 feet. I tried to tell him those 6 feet and full shots rolling or stopping are the difference between a 5 and a 10 index for him and he said even if that were so, it wasn't worth actually paying for balls when you can get them free. 

Haha! He must not gamble on the course either. 

Krank Formula X Veylix Alpina 573 45" 9*

:755178188_TourEdge:CBX 3 Wood Matrix HD Radix S VIII 43" 15*

Krank Formula X 5 Wood Matrix HD Radix S VIII 42" 18*

Wishon Golf 775HS 3H Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid X-Flex  39.75" 21*

Wishon Golf 585HI 3DI  same shaft as irons 38.25" 21*

Wishon Golf 575 MMC Forged 5-A N.S.Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Wishon Golf Micro-Groove HM S, L same shaft as irons 

:EVNROLL: ER7B Gravity Grip 35"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Slap said:

Haha! He must not gamble on the course either. 

 

... You know him? 🤣  He would not bet a penny he found on the floor for the entire round. 

  • Like 2

Driver:     :cobra-small: LTDx 10.5* ... AD-IZ 6SR
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
                 :taylormade-small: DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
Irons:        :cobra-small: 4-Pw MIM Tour ... Steelfiber i95R
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 50*/MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber i95R
Putter:      :cleveland-small: Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:           :taylormade-small: Maxfli Tour '22/TP5x '21

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After reading the MGS review, I bought two dozen of the Maxfli Tour CG balls.  Loved them, I only wish they'd offer the 4-dozen for $104 with the yellow balls.

 

  • Like 2

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver
:srixon-small: ZX 3W
:cobra-small: RadSpeed 3-hybrid
:taylormade-small: M6 irons (4-GW)
635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  CBX-2 SW & LW
:EVNROLL: ER7 Putter
image.png.759aae909d1e285c243d16aec01bb7c2.png ELIXR / :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour DIVIDE
image.png.01a298ec5595cfbe94cf034d738c10fd.png Revolver XL
image.png1500Li Cart

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder / image.png.e9071b3377299921b87f929d3e042fa6.png S20 GPS Watch
image.png.a78b2d4ee5b8826f57bf30ca7bcf0cb7.png Launch Monitor


Denver, Colorado

Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy   usafa.png.fb60aa7a77f130b1057160837c0a4a29.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Peejer said:

After reading the MGS review, I bought two dozen of the Maxfli Tour CG balls.  Loved them, I only wish they'd offer the 4-dozen for $104 with the yellow balls.

 

I see in your signature that you play the Snell MTB-X. That was my go-to ball ever since it came out and after testing the Maxfli Tour X for MGS I made the switch. I got incredible results with it, almost identical to the Snell, and it was easier to buy. At the time Snell was having inventory issues so it was nice being able to walk in Dick's and get these.

  • Like 4

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED XB PTC 10.5° Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 VII Stiff
3 Wood: :cobra-small: SpeedZone Big Tour 13.5° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 6.0
4 Hybrid: :cobra-small: KING LTDx 21° KBS PGI 85 Stiff
Irons: :srixon-small: ZX5/ZX7 Project X LZ 6.0
Wedges: Edison Forged 49°, 53°, 57°
Putter:  logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1 34"
Ball: Maxfli TourX (Thanks MGS for allowing me to test these!)

GPS: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch (Thanks MGS!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I went down a similar path and even did my own testing.  I was a regular Pro v-1 player who was dabbling with checking out the AVX so I hit a bunch of balls on a launch monitor.  I hit 75-yd wedge shots, full 7-ions, and full drivers, recording launch angle, spin rate, and total carry on my ten best swings with each club and with each ball:  Pro v1, AVX, and the Maxfli TourX.

AVX was a clear loser - in terms of iron spin and driver carry distance, but the Prov V1 and Maxfli were indistinguishable.  Since then, I've switched back and forth between Pro V1 and Maxfli tourX and cannot tell a difference in all kinds of wind and turf conditions.  I was worried that maybe heavy winds would impact its performance, but it really hasn't. I do think there is a slight difference in how they come off the putter, but I am not good enough to really blame that for my putting.

I've now been playing the Maxfli almost exclusively and will completely stick with it once my last sleeve of ProV1s is gone.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Gullbyrd said:

Which ball you play has very little impact on your score unless you’re scratch, and probably not even then. I’ve been a single digit handicapper most of my adult life (currently 6.7 index, up from 3.5), and I play whatever I find in the bushes or the creek. I especially like Top Flites because my playing companions are so outraged by them. The only exception is a ball that is obviously damaged. Mower cuts, bubbles on the surface. I won’t play those more than one round.

You will only play a ball that is bubbled or has mower cuts for one round?  You must be one hell of a golfer.  Do you play to the degree of bubbling or smile in the ball?  Like you adjust for an extra 10 yards of curve on a 5 iron with a mild to serious mower cut but only 5 yards for a minor cut?  Well done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm still torn as to which model to go with. I've probably looked at every review, written and video I can find, and many say the "Tour X" is the longer of the two. However, if I look at the MGS data from the ball test, the "Tour", non-X, is the clear winner at the mid swing speed and the "X" is only very slightly longer as the slow swing speed. I have no idea what my swing speed is, but it definitely is faster than 85 but slower than 100.

For what it is worth, I've been playing a mix of Snell MTB Black and Vice Pro Plus, the Vice being the longer of the two. I use Shot Scope for data tracking and for the year the data shows my total distance on well struck drivers is 230 yards (their "P-AVG" which supposedly eliminates outliers good and bad), with about 210 yards being my average of all drives, good, bad and indifferent.

I wish Dick's sold sleeves of balls, as I'm hesitant to buy a dozen of each at this point. So, I'd be curious what others think the better choice for me might be. I'm turning 75 soon if that might factor into it. 🙂

Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, PhilM75072 said:

I'm still torn as to which model to go with. I've probably looked at every review, written and video I can find, and many say the "Tour X" is the longer of the two. However, if I look at the MGS data from the ball test, the "Tour", non-X, is the clear winner at the mid swing speed and the "X" is only very slightly longer as the slow swing speed. I have no idea what my swing speed is, but it definitely is faster than 85 but slower than 100.

For what it is worth, I've been playing a mix of Snell MTB Black and Vice Pro Plus, the Vice being the longer of the two. I use Shot Scope for data tracking and for the year the data shows my total distance on well struck drivers is 230 yards (their "P-AVG" which supposedly eliminates outliers good and bad), with about 210 yards being my average of all drives, good, bad and indifferent.

I wish Dick's sold sleeves of balls, as I'm hesitant to buy a dozen of each at this point. So, I'd be curious what others think the better choice for me might be. I'm turning 75 soon if that might factor into it. 🙂

Thanks!

Have you tried either? I'm sure a buddy at your local course or maybe even a fellow spy could give you a few to try out. 

  • Like 1

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Evenflow Black 65 6.0

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

  :titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, GolfSpy_THV said:

Have you tried either? I'm sure a buddy at your local course or maybe even a fellow spy could give you a few to try out. 

That is how I got turned on to the Vice Pro Plus, my golfing partners frequently found many on the course and gave me some to try, but not one Maxfli Tour, X or otherwise, have we found.  I'd like to try both, but not at a cost of $60+ to do so. That's why I said I wished Dick's sold sleeves of balls.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PhilM75072 said:

That is how I got turned on to the Vice Pro Plus, my golfing partners frequently found many on the course and gave me some to try, but not one Maxfli Tour, X or otherwise, have we found.  I'd like to try both, but not at a cost of $60+ to do so. That's why I said I wished Dick's sold sleeves of balls.

 

... Well, I will say this. If you bought 1 dozen Tour and 1 dozen Tour X for $60 I can't imagine you wouldn't think it was well worth the $. Of course neither may become your favorite ball but there is a very good chance you will at a minimum enjoy their performance and not feel like you wasted $60.  

  • Like 4

Driver:     :cobra-small: LTDx 10.5* ... AD-IZ 6SR
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
                 :taylormade-small: DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
Irons:        :cobra-small: 4-Pw MIM Tour ... Steelfiber i95R
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 50*/MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber i95R
Putter:      :cleveland-small: Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:           :taylormade-small: Maxfli Tour '22/TP5x '21

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been playing my way through my stash of MTB-Black (confusingly, in yellow 😉 ), and have been very happy with them, but it's hard to ignore the Maxfli options, especially at the 4-for-104 deal.

Question: is there an easy place to go to compare against my current gamer? Like, is the Tour-X a better fit than the Tour, compared to the MTB-Black?  My assumption would be the Tour, both because of the softer feel (preferred) and my driver swing-speed (101-ish).  However, we all know what happens when you assume (you lose ball after ball in the lake, right?) 🙂 

Thoughts?  This is a hell of a deal, and it'll put me in great balls for the next...year? Close to, anyway.

Thanks all.

  • Like 2

Driver - :cobra-small: King Speedzone, 9 degrees, HZRDS Smoke 65g (two grams lead tape in heel)
3/5 Wood - Warrior Golf (don't ask)
Utility - :cobra-small: King Utility - 2 Iron
Irons (4-PW) - :taylormade-small:- SIM Max, Nippon Modus Tour 105 Stiff
Wedges (52, 56, 60) - Kirkland Signature 
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Snell MTB Black/Vice Pro Plus

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Samsonite said:

is the Tour-X a better fit than the Tour, compared to the MTB-Black?  My assumption would be the Tour, both because of the softer feel (preferred) and my driver swing-speed (101-ish). 

 

... I am a little slower than you at around 95-98 but having played the MTB Black I found the Maxfli Tour to be a very similar ball in all aspects. 

  • Like 2

Driver:     :cobra-small: LTDx 10.5* ... AD-IZ 6SR
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
                 :taylormade-small: DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
Irons:        :cobra-small: 4-Pw MIM Tour ... Steelfiber i95R
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 50*/MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber i95R
Putter:      :cleveland-small: Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:           :taylormade-small: Maxfli Tour '22/TP5x '21

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, chisag said:

 

... I am a little slower than you at around 95-98 but having played the MTB Black I found the Maxfli Tour to be a very similar ball in all aspects. 

Perfect. That was my assumption.  Any issue with greenside spin?  I didn't realize how much of a difference that made when moving from "found/cheap" balls to "good" balls, and I'd hate to go backwards (pun intended).  🙂

 

  • Haha 3

Driver - :cobra-small: King Speedzone, 9 degrees, HZRDS Smoke 65g (two grams lead tape in heel)
3/5 Wood - Warrior Golf (don't ask)
Utility - :cobra-small: King Utility - 2 Iron
Irons (4-PW) - :taylormade-small:- SIM Max, Nippon Modus Tour 105 Stiff
Wedges (52, 56, 60) - Kirkland Signature 
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Snell MTB Black/Vice Pro Plus

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...