Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How do you shape the ball?

I'm by no means an expert at shaping the ball, but I do try to work on it. I'm interested to see how everyone hits these shots (feel free to add others) since there's more than one way to skin the proverbial cat. Here's how I hit each shot:

Shots I can hit:

Fade: Move the ball closer to my left foot (my natural tendency is to fade), I love left to right dog legs.

High: I tend to hit the ball higher on the clubface and pinch it against the ground. The tour striker is by far the best tool to learn this.

Shots I can sometimes hit:

Draw: Close the face of my club. If I want more draw, also close my stance. I've gotten pretty decent at a small draw or extreme draw, just not the in between.

Backspin Wedge: I can make my wedge shots stop on a dime and sometimes goes a little backwards. I switched to high lofted wedges and lighter shaft to hopefully improve here.

Shots I can't hit for the life of me:

Punch: I really need to learn this shot. I've looked at YouTube videos, but I can't seem to pull it off.

Low: The tour striker is great for getting the ball in the air, I wish there was a version to help with low penetrating shots needed for windy days.

My normal shot is a draw. I have to really work to hit a fade with the irons, but with driver, woods, or hybrids I can hit those at will.

To hit the low ball, I simply quite my wrist action and swing a little slower.

To hit the punch, I move the ball back in my stance and hit it hard but with little to no follow through. I have the ball inside my right foot, and try to stop the club around my left foot.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I usually play about a 5yd draw with the irons and a 15yd draw with the woods. I can hit a fade with my irons, but I'm not overly successful with woods. I can pretty much hit all shots I need, simply by moving the ball in my stance and not really changing my swing.

Shots I can't hit for the life of me:

Punch: I really need to learn this shot. I've looked at YouTube videos, but I can't seem to pull it off.

Low: The tour striker is great for getting the ball in the air, I wish there was a version to help with low penetrating shots needed for windy days.

For me, there isn't much difference in these shots. Both shots I usually hit with a fade, as the club face doesn't have time to close, due to playing the ball back in my stance. For a low shot I will play the ball back of center, grip down, and take a smooth 3/4 swing, while dropping down anywhere from 2-3 clubs based on conditions. When hitting a punch, I use anything from a 3W-6I, I keep everything the same as a low shot, except I move the ball back to where it is about 1-2" inside my back heel.

I cannot predictably work a driver, lately I've been hitting it pretty straight, but if I miss, It could go anywhere. I can make it go the direction I want, but there's no telling how far left or right it will end up! I'm pretty good working the ball left to right with my other clubs, I produce the flight I want by changing the alignment of my feet and the aiming point to account for it. So if I want a 20' draw, I aim the face at the target, and my feet down the starting line 20' right. I try to swing down the line of my feet like normal. If I need more I will tinker with the swing path a bit, more inside out or outside in, the more I have to do, the less consistent it gets!

I am really bad at altering the trajectory of my shots, especially hitting it low. Attempting to hit a low shot is almost a guaranteed drop kick or duck hook! I typically hit a high ball, so wind isn't my favorite thing! When I play in wind, I really just try to take more or less club or aim left or right of target and hit the ball straight letting the wind do what it will. I've had too much practice with this lately! GO AWAY WIND!

For punches, I set the ball back about 2 inches, take a 3/4 swing and try to finish at the same 3/4 point or less on the follow through, basically trying to hold the face open at the finish thinking more hips than arms through the turn. I hit some really good punch shots the other day, unfortunately, that was because I was in positions where I had to! Its not my favorite shot and I can't make any claim to fame with it. I usually get under whatever I need to and get it on the line I want, but distance control is sketchy, I plan on needing a wedge for the next shot or having a long putt!

*changed this post because I described it all ass backwards!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I can safely say for myself that shaping the ball pretty much comes 2 ways ... accidentally and unintentionally. <_ src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_blink.png" alt=":blink:"> :unsure:

I predominantly play a draw with my irons. If I want to fade it, it's all done at set up: aim the face at the target, open up the stance a bit, and swing along the line of my feet. I still want to feel the club release because I find that trying to "hold it off" results in some ugly shots.

I don't try to shape my driver at all, just try to put a good swing on it and hit it straight.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Archived