Fixing Slow Play in a (Senior) League?

Middler

I’ve asked this less directly before, but I’m desperately looking for some way to fix slow play in a senior league. We have up to 60 players, and most players have no problem completing their round in 4 hours or less. It’s tiresome to wait 45 minutes after every round for the last couple foursomes to come in so we can finalize results - runs up the beer tab too. But we have a small group of slow players, who repeatedly spoil the group dynamic with thoughtless slow play. EVERYONE has repeatedly been told how to avoid slow play - our league admin has done everything he should, over and over. When they’re confronted, they make up BS excuses. But a few guys are incorrigible - with all the bad habits we all know well. IOW education has NOT helped, we need another idea. The only solution I can think of may be too extreme***. 

When I search online, it’s all suggestions on bad habits - they’ve all been told those suggestions dozens of times!

Have any of you found solutions beyond education?

*** Put all the known slow players at the end of the shotgun start, and have a time cutoff for $ awards. e.g. any foursome that shows up more than 4:30 after we (shotgun) start is not eligible for $ prizes. Unfortunately if any decent pace player gets stuck at the back, they’re punished along with the real offenders.

Rant: Yesterday I was stuck with two guys in a 4:45 hour round #&*$. Totally disorganized. Leaving their riding cart way behind. Reading putts forever. Not ready to hit when their turn. Scoring while sitting at the last green. Talking while others were hitting. Looking for lost balls when none of us were lost - WTH! One of them was fishing balls out of the water with his retriever in front of the tee we were on before we hit. When we asked him to move, he took his time and said ‘oh, are you guys ready to hit.’ If I’m in a foursome that falls behind with a gap ahead, I’m relentless about picking up our pace. Yesterday we were stuck behind an equally slow group (at least 1-1/2 holes behind), waiting for them several times, so our slow players had the excuse ‘we’re keeping up with the group ahead.’…🤬

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • LAB DF3 w Accra
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 001 F (mesh), Payntr X 005 F, Ecco Biom C4

Normally I'd say a max score (net double or triple) would help solve this, but it doesn't sound like it's poor play that's causing the issue. If it's one group that's constantly the cause it could be easy to single them out without punishing the other groups, in case better players get stuck out there behind them.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

If it is that bad and the rest of the league feels the same way then give them their league fees back and tell them to please don't come back.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex; :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik 18* 5w;  :mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro 4i;  :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Relax.

What's the hurry?

You're playing golf, not running from the cops.

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

Consequences.  If a group finishes more than 20 minutes behind the group ahead, penalize them somehow.  And publicize the slow groups, nobody likes the label "slow", so just post the time, and the fact they were penalized.  Added strokes, no prizes, something.  If you are in a "slow group" 3 times in a season, you're out, no refund.  You can't start this in the middle of the season, but make it part of the rules from the beginning.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

It does appear there will have to be consequences, more education is not the answer - we've do that constantly as a reminder. I'd hate to actually kick someone out, but I could definitely see identifying the slow players (three strikes or something like that) and putting them altogether at the back - ineligible for $ prizes if they aren't in before some time limit. If they want to continue fine, but I would think they would either quit or improve...

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • LAB DF3 w Accra
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

I was going to say exactly what Dave said.  Education is wasted on these old farts.  They know better snd they don’t give a damn.  We have a few like that in our Senior league. 

The only two solutions are making sure anyone who finishes more then 15 minutes behind the group in front forfeits any prize and is suspended from play for one week.

The next time it happens they are suspended from the league for the rest of the year 

Harsh..yes.  But it’s the only way to get the message across 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

It's even worse at a private course. People think because they are members they are entitled to take as long as they want. In fact last time I played there was a group teeing off on hole 4. Nobody in front or behind them. I was hitting a few warm up shots on the range. They were in the fairway when I teed off on #1. I had to wait and I mean wait a while before I could hit into the green on #5. That was ridiculous. They didnt even try to wait on the tee on 6 to let me play through. Then I just shot over and played the back 9 and came back later to play the holes I missed on the front.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:vice: Irons, Vice VGI01 Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex (6 - PW)

:vice: VGW01, 50 Degree. Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex, 

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

Putter, Sacks Parente Drac Center Shafted 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

It's even worse at a private course. People think because they are members they are entitled to take as long as they want. In fact last time I played there was a group teeing off on hole 4. Nobody in front or behind them. I was hitting a few warm up shots on the range. They were in the fairway when I teed off on #1. I had to wait and I mean wait a while before I could hit into the green on #5. That was ridiculous. They didnt even try to wait on the tee on 6 to let me play through. Then I just shot over and played the back 9 and came back later to play the holes I missed on the front.

Our Senior league I mentioned before.  We do a reverse shotgun start.   We were in the first group out and started on 18.   One guy I know I said a brief hello before we started. They started on 15, three holes behind us.  When we finished we were riding past the 10th hole on the way back to the clubhouse.   They were on the 10th Tee!!  Do that math. They had FIVE more holes to play.   I can’t imagine being the groups behind them. 

i walked into my office after the round, at 12:45 from an 8:30 start.  That’s after washing up, putting my clubs away and grabbing something to eat to take to my desk.   

The pro said they finished at 2:00 😳😳

I’m not one that likes speed golf. I’m completely happy with a 4:00 hour round of golf on a weekday and 4:15 to 4:30 on a weekend.  But 5:30 hours, good gosh.

That slow of pace is not the norm on our league fortunately.  But there is no excuse for it  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

15 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

It's even worse at a private course.

It may be worse at YOUR private course, but not at all of them.  Some of the more prestigious private clubs in the northern Virginia area have the strictest pace of play policies that I've ever seen, and every member I've played with has been extremely conscientious about following the policies.  Playing slowly can lead to a member not being allowed to play until after noon on weekends, or not playing on weekends at all for a certain time period.  Private clubs often have enough demand, and enough of a wait list, that they don't need to cater to potential customers the way many public-play facilities must do. That allows them to develop and enforce pretty strict policies.

Edit....  I should add, most of the times when I get to play these courses are inter-club matches, usually held in the late mornings on weekends.  At that time of day, our matches are very seldom held up by normal club players, generally finishing in 4:15 or less for relatively serious fourball matches.  Our opponents are generally doing their best to make sure we keep up with the groups ahead, they don't want to be the ones who get the slow-play consequences.

Edited by DaveP043

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

A partial solution is too make sure that group plays together each time and is the last one to tee off aj time so no one else gets shafted. The other part is to have a ranger continue to make them skip holes if they fall behind. Monetarily penalizing them would and should get their attention also 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

49 minutes ago, RollingGreens said:

A partial solution is too make sure that group plays together each time and is the last one to tee off aj time so no one else gets shafted. The other part is to have a ranger continue to make them skip holes if they fall behind. Monetarily penalizing them would and should get their attention also 

The scheduler does that informally now, but there are more than 4 bad actors, so it’s the last two foursomes more or less. We still “get shafted” in that even though most of us are in, with no consequences in place, we all have to wait for the last group to turn in their scores (and often closest to the pin markers) to finalize results. Almost every round we’re all forced to sit around for about 45 minutes after our round for results…that’s gotten tiresome to put it mildly. I’m going to suggest consequences, and/or accumulated payouts (vs after each round) as others have noted above…

• LAB DF3 w Accra
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

Could you guys implement some rule?   If there are 2 holes open in front of a group, they have to skip a hole and take some kind of max score for the hole they had to skip.  I suppose either the course or the rest of the league has to agree to implement and enforce it.

• 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Max LS 11.5° (10.5°+1) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6 stiff
  • 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Flash 3 Wood 17° (15°+2) w/ Project X Even Flow Green 60 stiff
  • 943183396_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.391f8ed5e36869c949eb3a241d2a750d.jpgSuper Hybrid 21° (20°+1) w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 80 stiff
  • 518011180_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.f52e8c7ce28e9a854c65b04b28450163.jpgRogue Hybrid 5 (24°) w/ Aldila Synergy 60 HYB Graphite stiff
  •   Screenshot 2021-12-24 002411.jpg2021 P790 Irons 5-AW (1° flat, weakened lofts) w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95 cw regular
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgCBX2 Wedges 54°, 58° w/ True Temper DG 115 Wedge flex
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgOdyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab, 33 in
  • 1360869533_Screenshot2021-12-24002835.jpg.38d6fb8915a5bd0b37b4bbec950f4c64.jpgPro V1
  • bushnell_launchpro_logos_medium.jpg.7df9dcd404a46928e3850d1e1335e4e3.jpgBushnell Launch Pro

1 hour ago, pakman92 said:

Could you guys implement some rule?   If there are 2 holes open in front of a group, they have to skip a hole and take some kind of max score for the hole they had to skip.  I suppose either the course or the rest of the league has to agree to implement and enforce it.

Everyone has already been told if they’re a full hole behind to skip, but no one does that I know of. When I’m in a group that falls behind, I’m relentless about closing the gap - but almost no one else wants to be the ‘bad guy’ so they say nothing, and then whine about slow play to the admin. Either everyone takes responsibility for their own group, maybe with other consequences, or nothing will change. And I’ll just play less with the league. It’s not the admins fault, he’s done everything right, but some players don’t care and/of they’re clueless.

• LAB DF3 w Accra
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1