Golfspy Dave's Beer of the Week

GolfSpy Dave

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As a former CSU, Chico student Sierra Nevada was like an IV drip in that town. My current favorite is Anchor Steam with pizza, but an occasional Sierra Pale Ale brings back memories of college.

not bad for a first post, eh Sactown?

I spy with my little eye something...

MMMMMMMM Beeer.....

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• SPY VIP

As a former CSU, Chico student Sierra Nevada was like an IV drip in that town. My current favorite is Anchor Steam with pizza, but an occasional Sierra Pale Ale brings back memories of college.

not bad for a first post, eh Sactown?

Solid post. Wife and brother Matt went to Chico State. Woodstocks pizza and $5 Pale Ale pitchers were a required course for graduation.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

You picked some tasty brews. Gumball is my favorite of the bunch. But I love just about anything Three Floyds brews. Especially Alpha King!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers, they're gonna lock me up and throw away the key... - Carl Spackler

• SPY VIP

I enjoy that Old Fezziwig Ale. Just wish it was available on its own in 22's or 6-packs

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale is still tops for me though...

Volvo Intorqueo

A few of these will take the winter chill off

Jubelale10_bottle.gif

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Am also a fan of the bastard.

I bought a six pack of the Oaked Arrogant Bastard a couple weeks ago and it was awful. It took them about 15 minutes to find a price for it, so I couldn't say I didn't want it when they rang it up at $17.99. My buddy asked what it tasted like and I said "imagine if satan pissed in a bottle, thats what it tastes like".

This is what has been keeping me warm the last few nights. It was only $9.98 at Sams Club and it's one of the best whiskeys I have ever had. It's smooth and tasty enough to drink on the rocks.

Photo0022.jpg

• SPY VIP

Sam Adams Chocolate Bock

Look for this one. I got it in the multi-case from Sams Club. I had the first drink and said "Holy S*it" (ask the wife).

Great chocolate taste. Very nice beer.

We are having a party here tomorrow night and the other 3 bottles from the case are in the hidden part of the beer fridge :lol:

chocolatebock.jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

I had the first drink and said "Holy S*it"

If you like chocolaty brews try Alpha Klaus by 3 Floyds (If you can get your hands on it).

From their site:

Alpha Klaus is Alpha King's festive cousin. A big American Christmas Porter brewed with English chocolate malt, Mexican sugar and of course, tons of strange American hops.

alphaklaus.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers, they're gonna lock me up and throw away the key... - Carl Spackler

• 6 months later...
  • SPY VIP

It has been way too long since anyone has offered a nice brewed suggestion.

To fix this I bring you Deschute's Black Butte Porter

black butte.jpg

While I have had this beer before, and loved it, it had slipped off my purchasing cycle. Thankfully it was on sale last weekend and all I can say is welcome back BLack Butte.

This beer is awesome. It is so smooth and tasty that your glass is empty almost immediately.

So good. Typically I look for a strong hop signature in my beers. This one has very delicate hops and amazing malt balance.

Ignore the beer language of the last statement. Go buy some, drink it, and say "Damn, Dave had this one right."

Volvo Intorqueo

We haven't had the chance to get out much lately and I'm trying to cut some calories and carbs, so I've just been drinking Miller Lite at home. The Wit's Up and Hefeweizen are getting ready to come out at the local brewery, so I will be drinking that soon.

FYI, anyone that likes Leine, don't get them in cans; I got a mixed pack of cans and they taste awful. I really like their fruity pebbles (Sunset Wheat) and Summer Shandy, but they both tasted like piss in a can.

• 1 month later...

Beer of the Week #4: Lagunitas Hop Stoopid

Here is a great video talking about the beer.

http://www.lagunitas.com/beers/hopstoopid.html

How genius is that idea of having the brewer describe the beer on video.

My take on the Hop Stoopid. Well first of all, I grabbed this beer because I really like the Lagunita's IPA. Around here that one is even available in Rite Aid, frequently on sale for $11.99 a twelve pack. Great IPA.

This one I am pleased to say is also very tasty. The guy in the video is not kidding about aroma, The bouquet in the nose is full of a bunch of different smell, overall a very pleasing aroma.

Taste is also very pleasing with almost a little of citrus one the front side. Then the hops take hold.

This has an amazing bitter finish. it grabs hold of your tongue by its bitter parts and shakes it all around. This is a good thing :lol:

The lingering taste in the mouth is also quite nice and overall at 8%, I can easily see enjoying enough to transition to stoopid.

Hopefully you can find it near you. it is worth searching for.

I second this. As far as I'm concerned Hop Stoopid is the best bear on the planet. I used to live right around the corner from the brewery, and enjoyed the Thursday night parties on more than one occasion. The whole Lagunitas line is something to be enjoyed. "Undercover Investigation Shutdown Ale" is a hell of a beer, if you can find it.

• 4 weeks later...

Someone asked (probably a year and a half ago) if Sam Smith's is worth it - absolutely. Their Oatmeal Stout is one of my two favorite beers. If you like Guinness, it's levels of delicious malty complexity beyond that.

My other favorite is particlarly appropriate for golf, I think: Belhaven Scottish Ale. You can find it in widget cans in the states, or occasionally a British pub on tap. If you find youself taking a vacation to the birthplace of golf, though, make sure to lift a pint of Belhaven Best (or just 'Best' to the locals). It's pretty low alcohol, actually, but it's simply one of the smoothest beers I've ever had the pleasure to drink.

A last rec, more for the East Coasters, as I doubt it travels much further than that: Saranac Brewery. They tend to come in mix packs, and just about everything they make is tasty. It's not transcendent, but they are an excellent value. My favorite, if you can find it (generally it's only out in the winter) is the Caramel Porter.

Oh, and Yeungling makes a quite drinkable (and again, inexpensive) Black and Tan - doesn't hold a candle to the real thing, of course, but a solid beer nonetheless.

• 2 months later...
  • SPY VIP

So I found a beer today worthy of digging up the Beer of the Week thread.

IMG_0648.jpg

Hoppy Brewing's Hoppy Claus Holiday Ale

http://www.hoppy.com/

Today I come to this thread not only to sing the praises of this excellent seasonal ale, but also to remind the beer loving MGS readers that we are entering the season of special brews.

Hoppy is a great brewery and brew pub here in Sacramento. While I am a fan of their year-round offerings, like Total Eclipse Black Ale, Hoppy Claus is truly outstanding.

This beer takes us from the more malty beers of fall into the aromatic offerings of winter.

It has a rich amber color and a full, but not overpowering malt base.

IMG_0647.jpg

What truly makes it stand out though is the excellent hopping and the hint of pine flavor.

Maybe it's not pine, but it seems like they have really figured out how to cram the essence of the holidays into that bottle.

Put lights on it and it is ready for ornaments.

Now you may not be able to find Hoppy Claus in a store near you, but I bet there are local breweries near you that are cranking out the seasonal ales.

Find one near you and let us know about it.

On a side note, many of you may be unaware that Beverages and More will ship beer from the internet to your house. They carry Hoppy's beers.

Check here http://www.bevmo.com/ and see what seasonal adventures you can find.

IMG_0646.jpg

Hoppy Holidays!

Volvo Intorqueo

Archived