Testers Wanted! Shot Scope V5 ×

Golfspy Dave's Beer of the Week

GolfSpy Dave

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:) J/K

I thought it was funny that 3 of us are all the same age, same taste in liquid refreshment, and enjoy golf so much.... who would have thought...

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I will make a trip to my favorite "store" to see what esoteric brews I can dig up for this weeks session...

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

• SPY VIP

Out of the bottle, it's actually very, very good.

I like my PBR in a king can. Preferably with a king can sized brown paper bag. :D

Great on tap too.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Blue Ribbon. Only when I win.

on tap tonight......

large_ipacan.JPG

Caldera IPA

MMMMMmmmmmm...

Micro in a can.

It doesn't get any better than this.

Great looking can. We need an "I'd drink that" emoticon. I do most of my picking of beers based on the design on the can/bottle, so this would be a winner for me.

I used to work a course that was less than a mile from these guys, and they would always come and try to get in the restaurant by plying me with free samples. I miss those days..

• SPY VIP

I used to work a course that was less than a mile from these guys, and they would always come and try to get in the restaurant by plying me with free samples. I miss those days..

Shhh

I think that is illegal. Small brewer doesn't need that. :D

I am sure you were referring to sample t-shirts.

Volvo Intorqueo

So your bag cost you less than $190 and people bring you free "t shirts"? How do I get your job?

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Older Viscosity

American Double / Imperial Stout style beer (aged for a year in bourbon barrels) from Port Brewing Company in San Marcos, California.

older_v.jpg

Definitely not an 'on the course' beer, due to it's 12.10% ABV, but a great after the round, with a cigar, kind of brew.

• SPY VIP

Older Viscosity

American Double / Imperial Stout style beer (aged for a year in bourbon barrels) from Port Brewing Company in San Marcos, California.

older_v.jpg

Definitely not an 'on the course' beer, due to it's 12.10% ABV, but a great after the round, with a cigar, kind of brew.

The label on that rules! Pints filled from the engine. I will look for that one.

You will likely appreciate the CA based beer of the week tonight. B)

Volvo Intorqueo

The label on that rules! Pints filled from the engine. I will look for that one.

You will likely appreciate the CA based beer of the week tonight. B)

I have had a bottle in my fridge for the last 6 months, waiting to pop it open when my son turns 1. His birthday was this last Monday and oh my, it did not disappoint. The only issue you might have with picking up a bottle would be its sticker price ($16.99). It has a very smooth coffee/chocolate/bourbon after taste.

• SPY VIP

I have had a bottle in my fridge for the last 6 months, waiting to pop it open when my son turns 1. His birthday was this last Monday and oh my, it did not disappoint. The only issue you might have with picking up a bottle would be its sticker price ($16.99). It has a very smooth coffee/chocolate/bourbon after taste.

OK with the price. It is more like getting a bottle of wine anyhow with the 12% Alc.

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

Beau's Lug Tread Lager is a local lager made by a family run brewery in the area where I live. Bottles are way to heavy for the golf bag though!

020noe.jpg

Thanks for sharing that one. I really like it when the brewers try something interesting with bottling.

Volvo Intorqueo

Good recommendation. I've seen a few beers sold like that and it makes it a little different, more like win as Sactown said. It also makes popping one a celebration, an event. My favorite beer that's sold in big bottles (exclusively, I think) is Tripel Karmelier (sp?).

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

So your bag cost you less than $190 and people bring you free "t shirts"? How do I get your job?

Doesn't pay really well, but the perks are Awesome!!!

• SPY VIP

Sactown's Beer of the Week: Week 2

Stone Brewing's Ruination IPA

http://www.stonebrew.com/ruin/

This is a big beer. You may not be worthy. Stone Brewing is located in San Diego, CA and was featured briefly in the movie Beer Wars. If you are not a fan of IPA's and their bitter character stay away from this one it may be too much for you. For those of you familiar with Stone you know that their most famous beer is Arrogant Bastard Ale. All of their beers feature their signature gargoyle logo and usually a paragraph or two about how this beer is too strong for you to drink (hence the reasons for my comments). If find Ruination to be delicious. It does have a major hop signature, but it is not harsh or overdone. This is high alcohol beer (7.7%) but that does not affect the taste. Overall it is very smooth. This is not a cheap six-pack at about $12, but you can also find 22oz bottles for $5 or so.

ruination.jpg

This week I also decided to include a beer that may have wider distribution.

The second SBotW is Samuel Adams's Noble Pils.

http://www.samueladams.com/world_of_beer.aspx

This is a new seasonal offering from Sam Adams. This beer too is marketed on it's hop character, but also for citrus and other malt signatures. This is far easier to find than Ruination and will likely be more welcoming to the palate that doesn't want something too big. Bitter hop signature, with a nice hint of sweetness. Sam's seasonal beers don't last long in stores. Try it before it is gone.

noblepils.jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

Wow. Have you tried the Oaked Arrogant Basterd Ale from the same brewery? I bet that would be interesting too.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• SPY VIP

Wow. Have you tried the Oaked Arrogant Basterd Ale from the same brewery? I bet that would be interesting too.

It's fantastic. It's another $12 six-pack, but well worth it. It is not a beer you will find in a tall can, or one to put down by the case. We had a year where a few of us bought sixers of OABA as presents for each other, unknowingly. The next year the exchange of the OABA became traditional holiday fare.

Volvo Intorqueo

Archived