TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golfspy Dave's Beer of the Week

GolfSpy Dave

http://www.amazon.com/Brutool-Lagerhead-Black-Tan-Turtle/dp/B0007SN5TI

The magic hands-free turtle allows you to have one in play while you pour the provisional.

I'm not worried about the provisional. It's the initial tee shot that concerns me.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SPY VIP

I'm not worried about the provisional. It's the initial tee shot that concerns me.

The first pour only requires a half beer or so.

As your suds caddy let me suggest that after opening the lighter layer bottle with the Lagerhead's mouth, lay up with an initial pull from the bottle, then pour the bottom layer, and finally enjoy the remainder while you pour the top.

A lot of the game is about how you manage the field of play.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I see now that it is all in the technique. Perhaps black and tans tonight?? We shall see

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

• SPY VIP

I see now that it is all in the technique. Perhaps black and tans tonight?? We shall see

Atta boy. If you expand your shot selections, you can only become a complete player.

Pour slow, like you are underwater...

Volvo Intorqueo

Atta boy. If you expand your shot selections, you can only become a complete player.

Pour slow, like you are underwater...

thats funny. If i am underwater, won't the beer get everywhere??

• SPY VIP

thats funny. If i am underwater, won't the beer get everywhere??

If you have really grooved your pour, you will sort of lose track with the surroundings and be one with the pour.

Volvo Intorqueo

If you have really grooved your pour, you will sort of lose track with the surroundings and be one with the pour.

be the pour Danny, be the pour....

There was a bar in Urbana that used to mix Guinness with just about every other beer on the menu, and they had names for all of them. IIRC, they never used a spoon and certainly didn't use a turtle. What are the risks of this technique (or lack thereof)?

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

You may have separation issues without the spoon or turtle. Slow pour is key to keep the top layer from mixing. Someone who is good with a tap can get it done without the spoon though it is much harder.

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

So the goal is really to get 2 distinct beers in one glass? Is it really akin to drinking half a glass of each or is the flavor of each one impacted in a significant way?

You should see two layers with maybe a muddle at the interface. There is a point of transition from one to the other. I find Guinness very creamy and mellow, where as the SNCA is quite bitter. At the first sip, there was a "whoa" moment when the IPA hit the tongue after the stout. The best thing is that even if you can't make the layers, the taste of the mixture is usually quite good too.

Volvo Intorqueo

You should see two layers with maybe a muddle at the interface. There is a point of transition from one to the other. I find Guinness very creamy and mellow, where as the SNCA is quite bitter. At the first sip, there was a "whoa" moment when the IPA hit the tongue after the stout. The best thing is that even if you can't make the layers, the taste of the mixture is usually quite good too.

So even though you have two distinct layers, you get a bit of both on each sip...very interesting.

It's good to do a procedure where even a total failure gets a good result.

Can you get any two beers to separate like that with a turtle, or do they need to be different in some critical way? Please give me the least scientific explanation possible.

• SPY VIP

So even though you have two distinct layers, you get a bit of both on each sip...very interesting.

It's good to do a procedure where even a total failure gets a good result.

Can you get any two beers to separate like that with a turtle, or do they need to be different in some critical way? Please give me the least scientific explanation possible.

What you are looking for is two liquids where the relative densities are slightly different. Ideally you are looking in the range of 1000 particles/ml or less difference in density. However, if you also include the impact of the dissolved carbon dioxide and nitrogen gasses in the stout, the buoyancy is artificially elevated. Typically the stout, due of the impregnation and saturation of these gasses, caused by the pressure sensitive release from the widget, makes the relative density less. Widget release is also a fascinating process because while the can is closed, the constant pressure is enough to keep the gas secured inside the widget. However, realizing that PV=nRT, when the volume of the can is increased at opening, the pressure in the can and subsequently the gasses are also released.

or, guinness is less dense so it floats on the other, but not by much, so pour slow...

Volvo Intorqueo

What you are looking for is two liquids where the relative densities are slightly different. Ideally you are looking in the range of 1000 particles/ml or less difference in density. However, if you also include the impact of the dissolved carbon dioxide and nitrogen gasses in the stout, the buoyancy is artificially elevated. Typically the stout, due of the impregnation and saturation of these gasses, caused by the pressure sensitive release from the widget, makes the relative density less. Widget release is also a fascinating process because while the can is closed, the constant pressure is enough to keep the gas secured inside the widget. However, realizing that PV=nRT, when the volume of the can is increased at opening, the pressure in the can and subsequently the gasses are also released.

or, guinness is less dense so it floats on the other, but not by much, so pour slow...

Thanks, nerd. Just know that I didn't even bother reading anything except the last time.

My brain started to ache about 3 words into this. Can we get back to kick points??

What I want to know is if you tried this last night.

Not last night, but 2 Guinness and some Pike IPA for tonight should go together well. I shall endeavor to report back.

I am busy soaking up the Seattle sun after a fantastic round at Chambers. Golf was the norm, but weather was the best.

What I want to know is if you tried this last night.

Not last night, but 2 Guinness and some Pike IPA for tonight should go together well. I shall endeavor to report back.

I am busy soaking up the Seattle sun after a fantastic round at Chambers. Golf was the norm, but weather was the best.

• SPY VIP

Beer of the Week #4: Lagunitas Hop Stoopid

Here is a great video talking about the beer.

http://www.lagunitas.com/beers/hopstoopid.html

How genius is that idea of having the brewer describe the beer on video.

My take on the Hop Stoopid. Well first of all, I grabbed this beer because I really like the Lagunita's IPA. Around here that one is even available in Rite Aid, frequently on sale for $11.99 a twelve pack. Great IPA.

This one I am pleased to say is also very tasty. The guy in the video is not kidding about aroma, The bouquet in the nose is full of a bunch of different smell, overall a very pleasing aroma.

Taste is also very pleasing with almost a little of citrus one the front side. Then the hops take hold.

This has an amazing bitter finish. it grabs hold of your tongue by its bitter parts and shakes it all around. This is a good thing :lol:

The lingering taste in the mouth is also quite nice and overall at 8%, I can easily see enjoying enough to transition to stoopid.

Hopefully you can find it near you. it is worth searching for.

hopstupid.jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

OK... so this one looks good... I put it on the list to look for in stores... There is one store around here that carries a lot of smaller breweries...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

your tastes eerily mirror my own...

• SPY VIP

your tastes eerily mirror my own...

You will love next weeks then. I have been saving it for end of contest night. :(

Could you find the ruination ipa?

Volvo Intorqueo

You will love next weeks then. I have been saving it for end of contest night. :)

How about you send me a sneak preview in a PM so we can toast the end of the contest together?

I'll post an update tomorrow about what beers I find at Binnys.

You will love next weeks then. I have been saving it for end of contest night. :)

That is always available at the local mart.... Beer is kind of a big deal here..

• SPY VIP

That is always available at the local mart.... Beer is kind of a big deal here..

good, do you ever see anything from russian river brewing? that is the clue for next week.

stay tuned true believers..

Volvo Intorqueo

Archived