Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Cobra Connect removal (Swing Weight)

Hello, apologies in advance if this has been covered but I have searched and cannot find what I am looking for.

I have some Cobra irons fitted as standard with Cobra Connect grips. I understand these are 58g (but not sure if this includes the sensor), and also add on 0.25" to the overall length.

My question is, if I regrip with a 52g Tour Velvet Plus4 how will that affect my SW?

Does the 0.25" shortening and 8g reduction in grip weight cancel each other out?

Many thanks in anticipation

Can anyone confirm the weight of a cobra connect grip including the sensor? 👍

Edited by Mjt315
Typo

2 hours ago, Mjt315 said:

Hello, apologies in advance if this has been covered but I have searched and cannot find what I am looking for.

I have some Cobra irons fitted as standard with Cobra Connect grips. I understand these are 58g (but not sure if this includes the sensor), and also add on 0.25" to the overall length.

My question is, if I regrip with a 52g Tour Velvet Plus4 how will that affect my SW?

Does the 0.25" shortening and 8g reduction in grip weight cancel each other out?

Many thanks in anticiaption 

SW for the shortening is 1.5 SW points lost. 

Grip is 4 grams per SW  so you gain 1.5.

You are basically about equal.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

SW for the shortening is 1.5 SW points lost. 

Grip is 4 grams per SW  so you gain 1.5.

You are basically about equal.  

Many thanks for that. Do you know if the 58g is the total weight Inc sensor?

Edited by Mjt315

4 minutes ago, Mjt315 said:

Many thanks for that. Do you know if the 58g is the total weight Inc sensor?

no idea, going by what you stated.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

The SW change is going to be ~ a 1 point SW increase due solely to the new grip 6g being lighter (assuming your 58g is correct).  If you are that sensitive to swing weight you can either find a heavier grip (should be tons of 58g options in std or midsize) or put a couple of layers of build-up tape under the grips (which will change the size).

Arccos really doesn't affect actual playing swing weight because the extra length is usually behind your grip and the extra mass of the sensor itself is negligible.  Obviously if you put it on a scale it will affect the # produced because of the extra length but the actual "playing" swing weight is the same.  For example, if you are playing a tour velvet, the grip has that double line at the end that is really the end of the grip and after that point it starts to flare out in the portion I call the butt cap.  On an Arccos grip, that double line is in the same place, the butt cap section is just longer.  Since most people don't actually hold the butt cap in their grip, the actual playing length of the club is unchanged.   

• 1 month later...

I’m thinking abt regripping mine as well. I cancelled my Arccos subscription because of too many dropped shots last year, plus I want a large or mid size grip. I never hear anyone talking abt SW anymore. They don’t even bring it up during a fitting. Although I’ve only had a driver fitting. Back in the old days I kept my clubs at D2-D4 … can’t remember. I tried blowing the grips off so I could add 3-4 wraps of tape, but couldn’t get it to work. 3-4 wraps should have altered SW. So am I out of touch with reality?

:titelist-small: TSi3 #1-3-5 all with Tensi Blue S-flex

:callaway-small: 2019 Apex Pro black 3 & 4H Catalyst 70 or    

:titelist-small: TSi3 #2-3 depending on how I’m playing. Tensi Blue

:callaway-small: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo   

:cobra-small:  2020 RadSpeed OL 4H, 5-GW … won’t get to actually use till warmer weather

:callaway-small: 2019 PM-grind, 56° & 60°, KBS steel, Green Cap

:taylormade-small: Blue Spider EX

:titelist-small: Pro V1X