TESTERS WANTED! ×

Skinny Putter Grips

Middler

I’ve been using a mid sized putter grip (Evnroll GG) for over 4 years with decent results. Over the weekend I trialed two putters with old school “pistolini” grips, with horrible results! Felt wrong and I couldn’t get putts started on my intended line to save my life, it was shocking to me. So you know, one of the putters was the same shape and approximate toe hang as my gamer, so I believe the skinny grip was a big factor. I may never go back to skinny putter grips. I am NOT saying skinny grips aren’t the best choice for some, just my read. YMMV

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

1 hour ago, Middler said:

I’ve been using a mid sized putter grip (Evnroll GG) for over 4 years with decent results. Over the weekend I trialed two putters with old school “pistolini” grips, with horrible results! Felt wrong and I couldn’t get putts started on my intended line to save my life, it was shocking to me. So you know, one of the putters was the same shape and approximate toe hang as my gamer, so I believe the skinny grip was a big factor. I may never go back to skinny putter grips. I am NOT saying skinny grips aren’t the best choice for some, just my read. YMMV

Grip is definitely a big factor in how a putter feels and moves.   You mention the putter as having about the same toe hang;  was the weight then same?  Both total weight and head weight?   People overlook that as a factor in how a putter feels during the stroke.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

When I putt lead hand low I prefer a thicker grip like a Superstroke flatso 1.0. But when I have putted with a traditional grip something lime a traditional pistol shape or golf pride pro only red star has had better success than a Superstroke. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 4-5 P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50.10F, 54.10S - X100 & 58.04T S400

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

On 3/12/2022 at 6:42 AM, LeftyMatt89 said:

When I putt lead hand low I prefer a thicker grip like a Superstroke flatso 1.0. But when I have putted with a traditional grip something lime a traditional pistol shape or golf pride pro only red star has had better success than a Superstroke. 

I like the thicker grips too when I started putting LHL.  Took my hands out of the stroke and made me move my shoulders 

I went to the claw. I like the thicker grip but prefer taper thin where my trail hand holds the putter 

8 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

Most of my life, I was at best an average putter. My dominant miss was a pull. I tried various putters and different grips, but nothing really worked. I settled on face balanced mallets with huge grips and a modified claw as my (relatively) best combo. The bigger the grip, the better, but I still wasn't very good. 

About 2 years ago, I was given a scotty Cameron blade with moderate toe hang and the normal scotty pistol grip. From the moment I got it, I could just take the same grip I use on my other clubs, take a natural stroke, and the ball is on line virtually every time. I'm now the best putter in virtually every group I'm with.

I have no moral of the story, just a wonder. While I believe that big grips can help mask other issues, is it possible that there's that one perfect putter out there for each player that would just allow them to point and shoot if they could somehow just find it? Can a fitting help with it, or does it have to just be dumb luck trial and error? My savior was a putter exactly the opposite of what had worked best for me in the past. Could it be that you are on exactly the wrong track also?

That is a great point, sometimes there is one putter that doesn’t make sense but just works. I think grips can be adjusted to. I think my natural stroke is not lead hand low but I am more consistent getting ball on line with that grip and my roll is more true so I stick with it. If I used my natural grip, I would need a pistol style like pingman midsize or golf pride pro only red star. 

I had opposite results.

After using a SuperStroke 3.0 for several years, I switched to a pro only pistol just for fun and it blew my mind.  I liked it because I could feel the putter and putter head move through the stroke.

I've been team skinny ever since.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

This is where I tell me story of trying to become a good putter and with it, came thinning of grips. I started by finding the basics of a sold shoulder only stroke then I sent to a Superstroke 5.0 back in the early 2010's, then went to Flatso 3 18 months later, then the SS2 grip (put on like a diamond) from Superstroke 18 months after that. When I stuck with my Pipe I went to the Flat Cat Fat which was really good, until I went for my putter fitting revealing I needed something with a bit of Toe Hang.

I went with the stock SIK grip for my Flo-C, but realized I needed something a touch bigger, so for the first time in a decade I went up in size from the standard to the Pure Midsize Pistol and it feels perfect. Right amount of toe flow, right feel angularly in the hands, and just a good feel of confidence... plus it looks sweet in green

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

The Lamkin Sink-Fit grips are great. They have a skinny, mid, and jumbo, with the mid on my new Ping putter (PP60 grip) and it is the most comfortable I've used. Superstroke grips slip with any moisture, and the Lamkin are solid.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

My putting has been HORRIBLE the last year or so. I use a Cure RX5, which is heavy AF (it has adjustable weighting that I've tinkered with) but I still can't feel the flow of the putter head. My stroke often turns into a "hit" which makes me miss left on my short putts. Then I overcompensate and leave the face open. I currently use the P2 React Grip which is really good about eliminating the hands and wrists breaking down in your stroke. But it's a huge and heavy grip and I wonder if that plus the heavy putter head, are killing my feel.

image.png.a3e302e6e5f26fc408d140d88930c731.png

I also just saw the Most Wanted Mallet Putter post, so I'm also wondering if i'm due for a new putter 🤑. I started using my current putter 7 years ago after seeing Lexi Thompson use it. But I might be due for a change. 

People with heavy putters, do you also have a heavy grip? 

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Max LS with Autoflex X-stiff 

3-Wood: :ping-small: 425 Max w/ KBS TD 60

Irons: :taylormade-small:P790 w/ X-stiff True Temper DG 105

Hybrids::taylormade-small: DHY Utility Irons 4 & 5

Wedges::taylormade-small: MG3 w/ KBS Black Wedge Shaft (50, 54,58)

Putter: Cure RX5 w/ P2 React Grip

I've been trying something totally different, for me anyway.  Got tired of the Super Stroke regardless of diameter, they just felt too slick.  Add the fact that, given the design of the grip, it works best if it's perfectly perpendicular to the putter face. 

Long story short I slapped a JumboMax Str8 grip on my putter and, voila, noticed an immediate improvement.  It feels more natural to me, distance control is better.  It could very well be I've gotten out of my own head by simplifying, doesn't matter, the results do.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

13 hours ago, bens197 said:

After using a SuperStroke 3.0 for several years, I switched to a pro only pistol just for fun and it blew my mind.  I liked it because I could feel the putter and putter head move through the stroke.

I've been team skinny ever since.

... Amen, a skinny grip just has so much more feel in my hands. Like Tiger using a Ping grip, I used the same grip forever and once Lamkin released the Sink Fit Skinny I have been using it. All my feel comes from my finger tips and a skinny grip provides the best finger tip feel. I also hold my grip very slightly which allows me to swing the weight of putter head like a pendulum with no wrist movement. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

8 hours ago, jfull1914 said:

I started using my current putter 7 years ago after seeing Lexi Thompson use it. But I might be due for a change.

5 hours ago, Riverboat said:

If it helps any, Lexi can't putt either.  😂

Seriously, she goes through about 5 putters a year. Eventually she will find her elder wand. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

9 hours ago, chisag said:

... Amen, a skinny grip just has so much more feel in my hands. Like Tiger using a Ping grip, I used the same grip forever and once Lamkin released the Sink Fit Skinny I have been using it. All my feel comes from my finger tips and a skinny grip provides the best finger tip feel. I also hold my grip very slightly which allows me to swing the weight of putter head like a pendulum with no wrist movement. 

It was a happy accident to be honest.  Since most new putters come with larger grips I wanted to flip the script since I was getting stale on the greens.

I was looking at the worlds best putters at that time...the guys who seemed to make everything they looked at.  Spieth, Fowler, Tiger.  Even JT all using the smallest version of a GP Pro Only or SuperStroke.

I figured they must be onto something.  I saw the value of the 3.0 and larger but wondered maybe it wasn't right for me.

Smaller meant better feel and better feel meant more confidence.

For the moment, I have the stock pistolero plus on my SC and love the extra on the left hand.  It's the best of both worlds with a smaller profile but some substance. Scotty said it resembled a hammer and as someone who helped his father working trades, it's a natural fit.

pistolero-plus-gray.jpeg

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

32 minutes ago, bens197 said:

It was a happy accident to be honest.  Since most new putters come with larger grips I wanted to flip the script since I was getting stale on the greens.

I was looking at the worlds best putters at that time...the guys who seemed to make everything they looked at.  Spieth, Fowler, Tiger.  Even JT all using the smallest version of a GP Pro Only or SuperStroke.

I figured they must be onto something.  I saw the value of the 3.0 and larger but wondered maybe it wasn't right for me.

Smaller meant better feel and better feel meant more confidence.

For the moment, I have the stock pistolero plus on my SC and love the extra on the left hand.  It's the best of both worlds with a smaller profile but some substance. Scotty said it resembled a hammer and as someone who helped his father working trades, it's a natural fit.

pistolero-plus-gray.jpeg

Definitely a great grip having a unique axe like handle to lock the top hand. One of my favorites for sure. 

I've been a big SuperStroke fan for a long time, but last summer I tried an off-brand skinnier pistol grip. It's not bad, but I still feel like I prefer larger grips to help take my hands out of the stroke. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I currently have 2 putter grips sitting on my desk trying to decide which one I want to go on the putter...

• SuperStroke Traxion Pistol GT Tour
  • Golf Pride Tour SNSR Contour 75cc

They are both about the same size/diameter, but the SuperStroke has no taper, whereas the Golf Pride has a slight taper.. They both feel good in the hands, but I think I'm leaning towards the tapered Tour SNSR.. I've been playing the larger 104cc Tour SNSR grip for a while, but want a lighter grip to get a little more head weight feel in the putter.

In the Sun Mountain 4.5LS 14-way bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: M2 10.5° :: Accra FX260
Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 19° :: Fujikura ATMOS Tour Spec 7X Blue
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 21° :: Mitsubishi Black 80G50
Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 (5-AW) :: KBS Tour 110
Sand Wedge: :cleveland-small: CBX-2 54° :: KBS Tour 110
Lob Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX-3 58° :: TT Dynamic Gold
Putter: :cameron-small: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: AVX

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have always had a “shoulder turn” putting stroke, never hand’sy. Near all my putters have a SS Mid Slim 2.0 as when they first came out they were “the thing”. I never liked the original Ping 58 or similar types as they are just too “skinny” which was an additional reason for the change to the SS grips.

Shopping for a new putter I just bought a new Ping Vault Anser 2 Dale and it came with a Ping 58 Midsize cord.
I was amazed at the feel and feedback I got!  The midsize grips seem to give me more positive reinforcement per stroke and my putting has improved.

Theres something to be said for “smaller” grips!

“Adventure Before Dementia “

PING G425 4-UW/SW Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex / ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5* / 3W 14*/ 5W 17.5* / 3hyb. 19* / 9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD 4J Prototype / 1968 Anser / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone RX - TreoSoft

Like all things, think it comes down to individual fit. I had been using a SS Tour 2.0 for years, but at a recent putter fitting I was consistently leaving the face 1-1.5 degrees open and my fitter suggested a smaller grip might help me more consistently square the face. Switched to a pistol style grip and have been pushing way fewer putts out to the right. 

Cobra King LTDx 9*, Mitsubishi Diamana TB 60S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 15*, Mitsubishi Diamana TB 70S

Titleist TS2 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana TB 80S

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 4i, Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 80 6.0

Srixon ZX5 5-PW, N.S. Pro Modus3 105S

Ping Glide 3.0 48* SS, 54* SS, 58* SS; KDS Hi-Rev 2.0

SIK DW | C-Series

Personally, I prefer the smaller pistol grips on my putters.  I've tried fatter grips and did not care for the feel, at all....as if the grip removed all sense of touch.  I just prefer putting with a traditional reverse overlap grip using a putter with a pistol grip.  I used to solely play a Scotty Pro Platinum blade style putter, but I'm hooked on my current putter and have been using it exclusively for the last 3 years -- an Odyssey 7s Stroke Lab with standard pistol grip.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I bounce back and forth between grip sizes. I prefer a midsize pistol style grip. One of my favorites is the PingMan cord grip.   I ended up going with a bigger grip(SS pistol GT) because with a smaller grip my hands would get fatigued when practicing. Through a round of golf I never had the issue, I was always comfortable. But if I practice more than 10 minutes or so, my hands would tire from holding the smaller grip. 

lately I’ve been blocking putts out to the right and having trouble releasing the club head. I went back to the smaller grip and I’ve been putting phenomenally. 

Driver: Taylormade M3 440cc 9* 45.25" Diamana D+ 70 x-flex

3w - Taylormade RBZ stage 2 tour 14.5* Fujikura 70 s-flex std length

Hybrid - Mizuno JPX 850 s-flex std length. 

Irons: Nike VR Forged Pro Combo 4-PW. Project X 6.5 flighted shafts ⅜" gapping. 39.25" 5 iron 2* upright

Wedges- Titlist Vokey SM6 51*, 55*, 59* 2* upright

Putter - Machine M10 adjuster, no sight line. 35.5"

I used to play the super stroke 3.0 which i did like, but the pistol style that came on my ping sigma feels like i have more control of the face, especially on short putts. The other day at our new PGA super store i felt a grip from cleveland with a ridge that runs through the creases of your fingers that felt amazing. I may do away with the adjustable feature of the ping and install this grip.

Dsweet the hack

• 3 weeks later...

I used a thick "super stroke" style grip for a long time. The physics behind it seemed to make sense. Then I got a the new Odyssey OG with the skinny grip last year and figured I'd try it out. Putting the best I ever have with it to my surprise. I think its certainly an individual thing for people.

image.png.258d22fcc4d0d25f5fdb8eea25fcd23f.png B21 9.5* w/ PX Evenflow Black 6.5

:ping-small: G410 SFT 16* 3-wood w/ PX Evenflow Black 6.5

image.png.de7870be9e5ebe2ff26fab3151edb989.png Stealth DHY 2i w/ Aldila Ascent Black Stiff

:srixon-small: z585 4-AW w/ Modus3 120x

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56.12 & 60.10 w/ Modus3 125w

image.png.a2a25073d1a41c5de1690a6254814da3.png Super Select Newport Plus -or- :odyssey-small: White Hot OG #1WS w/ Stroke Lab 

image.png.d2e91492049dce3981a9fad088921b12.png ProV1

• 2 months later...

Weirdly, I like the larger SS grips on mallet style putters, but on my current gamer (TM MyTP blade), I like the thin grips. Large SS grips just look and feel weird on blades to my eye. Wonder if it's a feel thing as well as blades are more 'feel'-like putters vs. larger, MOI oriented mallets...

All individual taste I suppose!

:taylormade-small: Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S) 
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S) 
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (Fujikura Vista Pro HB 70S)
:taylormade-small: Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110 S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
:taylormade-small: My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters* (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride :taylormade-small: Pistol
:taylormade-small: My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
:taylormade-small: Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red) :taylormade-small: TP5 Golf Ball
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart / :skycaddie: SX550 GPS / :bushnell: ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)