Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Bryson done with the PGA Tour?

GolfSpy_APH

1 hour ago, xOldBenKenobiX said:

I saw something that players that might be seriously considering joining the new league include.

Here is the actual updated list

Bryson
Phil
DJ
Rose
Sergio
Westwood
Poulter
Hoffman
Leishman
Hatton
Pieters
Reed

But it is all rumors for now and you never know
I would like to say that I was invited to join the Saudi Golf League, but their compensation did not rise to the standards that my family is accustomed, I had to tell them, if I am not getting a Mahones like contract to start the talks, we are not talking. Anything less than 50 millions per season is of no interest to me.

So other than DJ, Bryson and Reed it’s a bunch of guys from European tour who are past their prime and/or haven’t had a lot of wins on the PGA tour. Leishman is probably the only one on that list who could still win on the PGA tour but his game seems to be geared for a handful of courses

Honestly none of them leaving hurts the PGA tour. The other stars on tour can carry it without them

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Has anyone seen a date for when this league would even start and how many events are basically ready to go?   It takes time to setup a tour event at any level.  If players are going to play in this league, will they immediately be banned from PGA events?  Can tournaments not give them sponsors invites?  Can the tour pull their “membership”/eligibility to play in events?  

maybe those questions are readily answered online, but I don’t care enough to look them up which is basically my thoughts on starting up a new tour.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

46 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Has anyone seen a date for when this league would even start and how many events are basically ready to go?   It takes time to setup a tour event at any level.  If players are going to play in this league, will they immediately be banned from PGA events?  Can tournaments not give them sponsors invites?  Can the tour pull their “membership”/eligibility to play in events?  

maybe those questions are readily answered online, but I don’t care enough to look them up which is basically my thoughts on starting up a new tour.  

Everything seems pretty tight lipped. I did hear about a bunch of courses which are rumoured and for it to start sometime in June, but that was about it. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

He wouldn't leave if he couldn't play in the major events. 150million rumored payout to join the Saudi Tour and still get to compete in the major events... no brainer. Pro golfers play to win the major nobody cares what weekend tournaments you have won, look at Rickie Fowler aside from his Players win. 

Driver: Taylormade Sim 2 Max

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Max

Driving Iron: Titleist u510

Hybrid: Taylormade Gapr

Irons: Taylormade P760

Wedges: Vokey Jet Black 52/56/60

Putter: Taylormade Spider X

Ball: ProV1x

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Gary Williams had Soly on his pod last night (Five Clubs Podcast). Gary mentioned he had heard the same stories the NLU guys have heard about Bryson telling other players he was done with the PGA Tour. Both discussed hearing from "multiple sources" the first Saudi league tournament would be in June. Kramer Hickok said he was hearing a June start date as well on a podcast Monday. All three said they were led to believe, the schedule would be released during The Players week.

I really don’t follow the PGA like I used to but seeing him leave bothers me none. I haven’t been a fan of his ever so it is no loss to me. I’d be interested in seeing how long his body holds up to the mass and speed he put on. I have mass from my strongman and powerlifting days and it absolutely takes a toll on me when golfing.

If you haven't listen to an interview Jason Kokrak gave on the Five Clubs podcast on Jan 20 of this year. Paraphrasing, he basically said, I'm trying to make the most money in the shortest amount of time in my life... who cares who its from. He goes on and talks about how he is sponsored by Golf Saudi and loves their grow the game initiatives. I did a little digging on the Golf Saudi website - https://www.golfsaudi.com/en-us/ I encourage you all to really dig in.

Particularly excited about the "No displays of public affection" (https://www.golfsaudi.com/en-us/event-information/) rule during tournament play. I guess Harry Higgs and Joel Dahmen might have been black listed after their scandalous show on 16 this past Sunday.

I would much rather these guys come out and say that they are doing it for the money and that's all they care about rather than say something about growing the game or how the PGA tour treats them unfairly. Competition is good and I hope a better product for the viewer comes as a result but this could be a spectacular failure. 

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

11 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I would encourage everyone to read this...............

https://www.lyingfour.com/conversations-blog/2022/2/3/zmvtkq7npo3njfimn8uwpx9977h3k8

@sixcat Great read!

From the blog - "There is blood on their hands. That is obvious. And journalism, at a minimum, demands reporting the obvious. Whether Phil Mickelson, Bryson DeChambeau, and their ilk are willing to sell their souls for a few million dollars is beyond anyone’s control. What remains within control is golf journalists’ willingness to portray the Saudis’ project as anything other than what it is, which is a distraction from its efforts to preserve a culture of oppression." 

I'm not a huge fan of Brandel Camblee but I believe he has made this his mission.

People are resistant to changes, myself included. Having another type of golf organization running events could be a good thing. Not saying that this one could be “that” league, but seeing different countries showcase their courses… count me in.  Putting the politics of it aside of course.

It will probably fail, like the other ventures like this have.  But why not give it a try.

I guess Adam Scott is potentially on the list.  It sounds like they have 20 players signed.

My question is whether major US networks will want to broadcast the Saudi League given the potential negative backlash?  Will major companies sign up to be the title Sponsor for each tournament?  Will major advertisers sign on for TV spots.  I guess there can be just a series of Tourism Saudi and Aramco commercials to fill the ad time.  

If network TV exposure falls for these players does that mean endorsements deals fall in value for players in the Saudi League since the golf companies don’t get as much value for their marketing dollars?

This will be interesting.  Norman probably has a decent plan for this league.

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:titelist-small: U-510 19 Utility Iron HZDUS Smoke Black 6.0 Stiff

:Takomo:  5-PW 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Loyal MCC Plus 4 Sensor User

At this point I don’t find myself watching the same 40 guys every week, and definitely not if they’ve already been paid. There won’t be any excitement, they won’t be pushing super hard to win because they have all the money they need. It’ll be like watching a rich golfer beer league. Nah. No thanks. I have no idea why the PGA Tour would “let” them play in majors. That needs to be taken off the table. If you’re out, you’re out.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

1 hour ago, PMookie said:

At this point I don’t find myself watching the same 40 guys every week, and definitely not if they’ve already been paid. There won’t be any excitement, they won’t be pushing super hard to win because they have all the money they need. It’ll be like watching a rich golfer beer league. Nah. No thanks. I have no idea why the PGA Tour would “let” them play in majors. That needs to be taken off the table. If you’re out, you’re out.

I would assume that the PGA Championship is the only major they could keep them out of. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 5 & 6 Hybrids

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 7-AW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

38 minutes ago, Parshooter36 said:

I would assume that the PGA Championship is the only major they could keep them out of. 

The world rankings will eventually keep them out of the rest if they don’t have exemptions. 

What will be interesting is if the USGA, R&A or Augusta will look at PGA tour suspension for any player and revoke their exemptions into the event. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

7 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The world rankings will eventually keep them out of the rest if they don’t have exemptions. 

What will be interesting is if the USGA, R&A or Augusta will look at PGA tour suspension for any player and revoke their exemptions into the event. 

The cynic in me wonders if it'll all come down to name value. If there are some big draws in that group of players, I wonder what may happen.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

2 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

The cynic in me wonders if it'll all come down to name value. If there are some big draws in that group of players, I wonder what may happen.

It’s definitely going to be an interesting dynamic to watch play out.

Of the names that have been rumored DJ, Phil, Reed and Bryson are really the only relevant ones. The rest of the list has some big names but they aren’t draws on the US tour or lack any success. Even Sergio with his Masters is really hit or miss 

13 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I may be wrong but I’m not sure the R&A fights as hard as the PGA to keep Saudi League players out.  I’m sure a big donation from the Saudi’s may mute their opposition…  

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:titelist-small: U-510 19 Utility Iron HZDUS Smoke Black 6.0 Stiff

:Takomo:  5-PW 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Loyal MCC Plus 4 Sensor User

8 hours ago, KC Golf said:

I guess Adam Scott is potentially on the list.  It sounds like they have 20 players signed.

My question is whether major US networks will want to broadcast the Saudi League given the potential negative backlash?  Will major companies sign up to be the title Sponsor for each tournament?  Will major advertisers sign on for TV spots.  I guess there can be just a series of Tourism Saudi and Aramco commercials to fill the ad time.  

If network TV exposure falls for these players does that mean endorsements deals fall in value for players in the Saudi League since the golf companies don’t get as much value for their marketing dollars?

This will be interesting.  Norman probably has a decent plan for this league.

Well, here's the thing- they don't need sponsors. It is funded by Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund which has $500 billion. 

$500 billion!!! Think about that that. That's 500 thousand millions.

They could just setup live streaming on Youtube with no commercials. Or build their own app. They don't need TV. The only thing they need is the players.

The biggest issue that these players will run into is that they will de facto become employees to this tour not independent contractors. Imagine the commercials, press releases, etc. 

29 minutes ago, KC Golf said:

I may be wrong but I’m not sure the R&A fights as hard as the PGA to keep Saudi League players out.  I’m sure a big donation from the Saudi’s may mute their opposition…  

I don’t believe the R&A controls anything like the PGA tour does.

The R&A is only responsible for The Open Championship just like the USGA is only responsible for The US Open and Augusta is for The Masters.

The PGA tour suspension applies to events they run. Now I haven’t read any of the “rules/qualification criteria” for the majors and whether it requires active membership on one of the tours. So if the PGA tour suspends players they should still be eligible for the majors based on whatever the qualification criteria states, like top X in the world ranking, exemptions based on previous win of the event or whatever event on PGA tour or Euro/DP world tour.

I also haven’t heard if the DP world tour formerly known as European tour will suspend its members who join the Saudi league and this is probably where your comment about Suadi payoff would come in

I wonder if endorsement sponsors have any say? For example, why would Callaway, TaylorMade or the others pay endorsement $ to a SGL player who’s not allowed at televised PGA events - especially if SGL events aren’t televised or promoted like PGA events? Then again if a player makes more on the SGL than PGA prize money and endorsements combined (?), I can see the appeal for a player who doesn’t have the considerable (some annoying?) obligations to equipment and apparel sponsors. And SGL players may be able to use any equipment, apparel, cars, credit cards, banks, etc. they want unlike today where they almost have to promote the latest products.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

3 hours ago, PMookie said:

Same sentiment here.  The LPGA will fill that spot... which it has already been doing anyway.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

46 minutes ago, Middler said:

I wonder if endorsement sponsors have any say? For example, why would Callaway, TaylorMade or the others pay endorsement $ to a SGL player who’s not allowed at televised PGA events - especially if SGL events aren’t televised or promoted like PGA events? Then again if a player makes more on the SGL than PGA prize money and endorsements combined (?), I can see the appeal for a player who doesn’t have the considerable obligations to equipment and apparel sponsors. And SGL players may be able to use any equipment, apparel, cars, credit cards, banks, etc. they want unlike today where they almost have to promote the latest products.

Sponsorships are done based on exposure right? If the Saudi league gets eyes on the players from fans around the world it’s still a good investment for them right? 

13 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Sponsorships are done based on exposure right? If the Saudi league gets eyes on the players from fans around the world it’s still a good investment for them right? 

1 hour ago, Middler said:

I wonder if endorsement sponsors have any say? For example, why would Callaway, TaylorMade or the others pay endorsement $ to a SGL player who’s not allowed at televised PGA events - especially if SGL events aren’t televised or promoted like PGA events? Then again if a player makes more on the SGL than PGA prize money and endorsements combined (?), I can see the appeal for a player who doesn’t have the considerable obligations to equipment and apparel sponsors. And SGL players may be able to use any equipment, apparel, cars, credit cards, banks, etc. they want unlike today where they almost have to promote the latest products.

It doesn't even have to do with with exposure - you have to taken into account affiliations as well.

Several sponsors have their logos removed from players clothing/bags when they are playing in Saudi events.  Major companies/brands do not permit doing marketing or having business ventures in specific countries.

Alan Shipnuck has had some interesting comments lately and an article on the Fire Pit Collective site with some comments from Phil that make it seem like the players are using this as a leverage tool more than a threat to leave. And to their credit, the PGA is putting more money into purses and is spending more. So it's entirely possible that in the end, the players decide staying home is better after winning concessions here. 

32 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Alan Shipnuck has had some interesting comments lately and an article on the Fire Pit Collective site with some comments from Phil that make it seem like the players are using this as a leverage tool more than a threat to leave. And to their credit, the PGA is putting more money into purses and is spending more. So it's entirely possible that in the end, the players decide staying home is better after winning concessions here. 

Seems like it could be the real endgame, we'll see. Though some players may have a hard time walking back what they've said. OTOH Phil ain't going to win much if anything on the PGA Tour anymore, so WTH...

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

1 hour ago, russtopherb said:

Who would have thought that following a win at the 2021 PGA Championship a 51 year old Phil would (could) be trying to use Saudi money and MBS to leverage the PGA tour?

Not sure I would pick MBS as a leverage pawn but we all know Phil likes to gamble.

15 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Phil is an ******* and I am glad he is finally showing his true colors

I think he's been showing them for a while, to be honest. He got away with it with his "aw shucks" demeanor but I think those days are over.

I have the SportsCentury on Phil Mickelson on DVR from 2005. There is a segment where Scott Van Pelt is recalling a conversation with a handful of players during The Doral when Phil came on the jumbotron next to them while he was getting ready to play a shot. One of the players says "hit it in the water you fat f**k" and the other guys chimed in with their own colorful commentary. 

SVP used that story to describe how disliked Phil was on Tour in those days. FIGJAM didn't spring up out of thin air.