Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Best wind ball?

Thin2win

So I have hit a lot of shots in the sim and I can talk launch angles and spin rates all day about the various balls on the market. But I have nothing as far as knowledge of wind effect on various dimple patterns. So Spies, which of you play in a wind swept area and have learned that "X" ball tends to work better? From tour pro talk it sounds like maybe Srixon does better then some. But I have nothing to back that up. What have you all found for the best ball in the wind?

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

This should be an interesting thread of responses.  I am a "play my gamer and take my lumps from the wind while trying to flight my ball depending on wind direction" type of player, but that isn't saying there aren't better ball solutions.  I would probably have a different opinion if I was in west Texas.

Edited by Tiftaaft
  • Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

I can only confirm having heard the same feedback concerning Srixon's...Koepka just gave an interview that's posted on Golf.com (and now I can't find the link) talking about how impressed he was with it.  Not sure if that's the Z-Star, the XV, or the Black Diamond he's using, and who knows how much stock you can put in an interview once the guy's on contract.  That said, I do think I remember Tony Covey confirming that attribute in a write-up on the Z-Star on the main page.

I play a ProV1X so I can't really provide my own perspective.  Personally, once you get into the premium ball space I'm not sure how much stock I would put in the ball to fight the wind versus mastering the technique to knock it down.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

Will vary for each player. The Prov1 has always been the best for me in all conditions. The left dash works fine because of the lower spin. The tp5 worked but want as good as the Prov1.

Not taking full swings and taking spin off on iron shots will work too

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I've found the Srixon balls (Z-Star and XV specifically) to really perform well in the wind. Best of any ball I've tried, in my experience. The 2019 ProV line wasn't amazing in the wind and I'd have some issues with ballooning, but the new covers on the 2021 line are outstanding. Much more stable and I have no qualms about gaming them on a windy day.

While it's easy to see when a ball is getting blown by a cross-wind, I personally find more satisfaction knowing that my front-to-back dispersion will be less affected. I absolutely love the Maxfli Tour, but it gets demolished in the wind. I've noticed significant differences. Crushed a 3-wood the other day into a headwind and it came up 20 yards short. Dropped a ProV1 and made comparable, even slightly worse contact and it flew the number I was expecting: 20 yards longer than the Maxfli. I'm not tossing out my Maxflis, but I'm much more cognizant of the wind with them. Having gamed Srixon all last season and not thinking twice about a gentle breeze, this is something I'll watch out for when tournament season gets here...

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

I agree with the statement that it depends upon the player.  The premium balls all should be pretty good - if there were one that didn't work you'd see tour guys/gals run away from it in a heartbeat on windy days.  

I'm not seeing that.  

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Wouldn’t any low spin/low trajectory ball be better in the wind? Whatever you play regularly, whatever spins less would be better? Of course a ball that stays lower into the wind, will also fly lower with the wind - so I play my regular ball and tee it lower *** off the tee or flight it lower with irons.

*** why I never use stepped tees

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

Pro V1 Left Dot is noticeably lower flight than any other ball I've used which will give it a natural advantage especially into a head wind. My vote beyond that is Bridgestone balls, I feel their dimple pattern really helps in the wind. I've played Z stars, TP5 and 5x for extended periods and tested all Titleist other than Left Dash and AVX. I haven't used Callaway or Snell balls. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

2 hours ago, Middler said:

Wouldn’t any low spin/low trajectory ball be better in the wind? Whatever you play regularly, whatever spins less would be better? Of course a ball that stays lower into the wind, will also fly lower with the wind - so I play my regular ball and tee it lower *** off the tee or flight it lower with irons.

*** why I never use stepped tees

This is a really interesting point! In general, yes, low-spin balls will perform better into a headwind or cross-wind. HOWEVER, they can struggle downwind. (I can't play the Vero X1, no matter how much I like it because it just falls out of the sky for me off driver, downwind.) But, you note teeing it lower, which will actually help generate more spin than a standard shot, not due to ball design but rather swing mechanics and clubhead design. This is where the physics gets really fun, because the relative shot angle/trajectory vs the angle/direction/speed of the wind creates an optimization matrix. A high-spin shot with a flatter trajectory may perform more or less optimally than a lower-spin shot that flies higher, depending on what angle/direction/speed the wind is at. (I'll spare everyone the vector sketches...) 🙂 

Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)

Tested:

24 minutes ago, SlikHands said:

I live in West Texas....not sure if any ball would help fight our wind! 

Trevino and lots of greats in Texas did it. Fleetwood swing is built for it. It’s not as much about the ball as it is the ball flight

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

3 hours ago, greggarner said:

(I'll spare everyone the vector sketches...) 🙂 

Umm.. I want the vector sketches. thanks. 

WITB:

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

On 2/16/2022 at 12:15 PM, Thin2win said:

So I have hit a lot of shots in the sim and I can talk launch angles and spin rates all day about the various balls on the market. But I have nothing as far as knowledge of wind effect on various dimple patterns. So Spies, which of you play in a wind swept area and have learned that "X" ball tends to work better? From tour pro talk it sounds like maybe Srixon does better then some. But I have nothing to back that up. What have you all found for the best ball in the wind?

Spoiler

Titleist Velocity golf ball 2022: What's new? Here's what you need to know

... gloss, not matte 👍

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I've played the Z-Star for a few years now. Can confirm it's a solid wind ball.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I think everyone is probably better off playing their normal shot, even when it's windy.  For most of us the brand of ball probably doesn't make that much difference.  Unless we are very good at hitting a "stinger" if we have high swing speed, or as I like to call a "punch driver" for those of us with a slower swing speed, a normal well-struck shot generally ends up in the best spot.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

12 hours ago, BMart519 said:

Pro V1 Left Dot is noticeably lower flight than any other ball I've used which will give it a natural advantage especially into a head wind. My vote beyond that is Bridgestone balls, I feel their dimple pattern really helps in the wind. I've played Z stars, TP5 and 5x for extended periods and tested all Titleist other than Left Dash and AVX. I haven't used Callaway or Snell balls. 

Will echo that Left Dot is the best ball I have ever hit in the wind. Low trajectory was super penetrating, handled into the wind and crosswinds better than any other I have used. Srixon XV and Snell MTB-X have been solid as well

On 2/16/2022 at 2:15 PM, Thin2win said:

do  you mean downwind or agaisnt the wind?   the 2 scenarios are so different on how it effects drag, any answer you get in this thread will not be applicable to your situation on any given day.

in my experience, a real low spin ball has worked best for me.....any production of spin over 2000 rpms agaist a headwind will balloon unless you know how to hit stingers and flight the ball really low

left dash worked well in the wind for me......bridgestone BXS, BALLOON BALL!!!!

11 hours ago, Londo said:

Will echo that Left Dot is the best ball I have ever hit in the wind. Low trajectory was super penetrating, handled into the wind and crosswinds better than any other I have used. Srixon XV and Snell MTB-X have been solid as well

left dot is the best ball ive ever played, but i do not have experience in big wind with it...only nice calm days 

Golf is cool

Playing in the wind is one thing. And deserves its own thread of tips and tricks for people to read through then break their own game trying out 46 different ways to hit a wind shot.  My real curiosity is if anyone found that one of the OEMs had a dimple pattern that just seemed to do better over all. Low trajectory, low spin balls are going to do better into the wind and the opposite for with the wind. I was more intrigued by Brooks's statement that the ZStar Diamond was better into the wind then anything else he had played. It is not a low trajectory low spin ball. More mid to high on both categories. Again, could just be marketing fluff as he is now on staff there. But it caught my ear.

As for my personal method to break your swing in the wind: It was something that I developed when I was working/playing on the Oregon Coast. And granted, I was playing at a series of links style courses, so this method was great for that. But I would take 2 extra clubs then choke down 1" and take a not quite full swing. 

so if my stock 150y was a 7i, I would grab my 5i, choke up an inch(which makes it a little shorter then a 7i) then take a slightly toned down swing. This would result in lower shots that performed about the same into, across or with the wind. It did play a shot that would land short then roll onto the green, so not a good idea for a forced carry. But you get the idea. And while this is what I used, I'm sure someone much more famous and better at golf has a video or book about doing the same thing, so give them credit 😃

WITB:

On 2/16/2022 at 2:15 PM, Thin2win said:

From tour pro talk it sounds like maybe Srixon does better then some.

Funny you say that - when seeing the title of this one, I came here to write that Srixon has been good for me over the years.  I'm not a major srixon guy, but have always found this to be the case in windy conditions.

4 hours ago, Tsecor said:

bridgestone BXS, BALLOON BALL!!!!

Agree with this as well, but I love this ball in summer conditions with minimal wind.  Always get good distance with driver, yet plenty of spin on wedges with great feel.  Problem has been durability for me. 

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

I play Prov1s in all conditions.  Just adapt to wind by hitting the ball lower.  Played in twenty mile per hour winds today.  Two clubs.  Hit it low off the tee with great results.  Would say that any ball that spins less.  The AVX is a less spinning premium ball.    

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

20 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I think everyone is probably better off playing their normal shot, even when it's windy.  For most of us the brand of ball probably doesn't make that much difference.  Unless we are very good at hitting a "stinger" if we have high swing speed, or as I like to call a "punch driver" for those of us with a slower swing speed, a normal well-struck shot generally ends up in the best spot.

Exactly those that add spin because they add loft at impact are going to see worse results into the wind or with sideways movement on cross winds. Trying to manipulate the shot is only going to make it worse. Teeing it’s lower for some is only going to make it worse and more than likely are going to hit lower on the face with driver and add even more spin 

The only ball that I've ever felt like was “cutting the wind” was bridgestone tour bx/brx. Its actually why i played them for a year or so. I accidentally played one for a few holes and everyone was commenting on how the wind (15+ mph) wasn't effecting me as much as them that day. Didnt realize i was playing one till the turn. Dont even know how it ended up in my bag as i had never played one before that day. It is quite possible that its more of how the ball performs for me, good or bad, than the balls “design” not being effected by the wind. 

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

I have found the Z-Star XV to be the best in the wind. It’s what Hideki plays and what Brooks commented on when joining Srixon.. although he plays the Z-Starr Diamond - a ball he helped design. My regular gamer is Pro V1x. 

• TaylorMade Stealth2+ 9° - Fujikura Ventus Black VeloCore 5-S
  • TaylorMade M5 15° - Fujikura Ventus Black VeloCore 6-S
  • Callaway CF-18 18° - KBS Tour Prototype 85 S
  • Srixon 4-AW Nippon Modus 3 105 R
  • Cleveland ZipCore 54° Mid and 58° Mid DG Spinner
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 35"
  • Titleist Pro V1
  • Arccos Gen 3 sensors

The Srixon balls my perform better in the wind, the few that I have tried feel like rocks to me. Maybe I am just not used to playing them????

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

On 2/18/2022 at 8:46 PM, GaDawg said:

The Srixon balls my perform better in the wind, the few that I have tried feel like rocks to me. Maybe I am just not used to playing them????

The XVs are pretty firm and the new Diamonds are the same compression as the XVs. But the regular Z-Stars are even softer than the B-Stone BXS, which is softer still than the ProV1. I haven't tried any of the ionomer Srixons to know how they perform in the wind, but if the Z-Star is too firm for you, so is every other Tour-level ball and the soft-feel/low-spin profile of an ionomer ball might be a better wind ball. 

Tested:

... I still remember the first wind shot I hit with the TM Lethal ball after getting a dozen at the pga show. I had 150 with a pin just over a bunker into a strong 15-20 mph wind and hit a knockdown 5 iron that was low and cutting through the wind when a gust hit and I thought "Not gonna make it over the bunker" but it did and my ball mark was little past the pin. Instantly became my ball and was awesome in Chicago winds. That ball has just gotten better through the years and the new TP5x is the best wind ball I have played. To be fair I have not played any of the special diamond or dash balls. I am playing the Maxfli Tour at the moment but have not had many windy rounds, but that will change by March/April when Phoenix can get pretty windy. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

On 2/20/2022 at 3:04 PM, chisag said:

... I still remember the first wind shot I hit with the TM Lethal ball after getting a dozen at the pga show. I had 150 with a pin just over a bunker into a strong 15-20 mph wind and hit a knockdown 5 iron that was low and cutting through the wind when a gust hit and I thought "Not gonna make it over the bunker" but it did and my ball mark was little past the pin. Instantly became my ball and was awesome in Chicago winds. That ball has just gotten better through the years and the new TP5x is the best wind ball I have played. To be fair I have not played any of the special diamond or dash balls. I am playing the Maxfli Tour at the moment but have not had many windy rounds, but that will change by March/April when Phoenix can get pretty windy. 

TM's Lethal, along with the TP Red and TP Black, were my favorite wind balls in the last 20 years.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!