TESTERS WANTED! ×

Why isn't there a "World Tour" in Golf?

Jonny_Crash

I've always sort of wondered why there isn't a more world oriented tour.  There are wonderful courses everywhere, but the PGA is entirely us centric and the euro tour is more or less Europe only (they do have the mid-east swing).  

I know the answer is always money (local and organizational... but it stands to reason that a lot of money could be made this way (think F1).   How fun would it be to have a UK swing, a Florida swing, a mid-east swing, a Australian swing (or even a S. Pacific Swing), etc.  

Driver:  Ping 425LST 9*  (Aldila Rouge White 130) 

3 Wood: Sub70 Pro (13) (HZRDS Black 60)

3U: Sub70 (19.5) (True Temper Project X U) 

Irons: Sub70 699 Pro (5-Gap) (Dynamic Gold S300)

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54 and 58 (10S)  (Project X)

Putter: Some old green Nike Blade

The sheer amount of infrastructure needed to host a Tour-level event is ludicrous.

Parking, player amenities, fan amenities, production equipment, cabling, grand stands, site logistics.

Then throw in player travel, the logistics to move tv equipment from one event to the next.

There are a lot of reasons, but logistics is one of the main reasons

9 minutes ago, jlukes said:

logistics is one of the main reasons

Why? The PGA Tour and the Dude Perfect World Tour already go to all these places. The key is dividing the schedule into regional swings like they already do. If the two top Tours combined, they would already have all the logistical equipment on both sides of the world. The west coast swing moves on to the Florida swing, to Major season, to the European swing following the Open Championship to the Asian swing, culminating with the Tournament of Champions in Hawaii. 

The model has been out there for two decades and is easily found with a Google search. It hasn't happened because too many people want a bigger slice of the pie, i.e. obnoxious greed!

It would be cool to see a smaller field at the "world events" and those outside (say the top 70 WGR) need to go back and qualify through their domestic leagues (or PGA as it now stands) to get back to the World Tour.  This would increase/improve the product of the Korn Ferry (or lower leagues) if you had some bigger names trying trying to win their way back to the big leagues.  Essentially a promotion/relegation system, but with more chances for movement up and down.  

Stupid obnoxious greed..... 

5 minutes ago, Jonny_Crash said:

It would be cool to see a smaller field at the "world events" and those outside (say the top 70 WGR) need to go back and qualify through their domestic leagues (or PGA as it now stands) to get back to the World Tour.  This would increase/improve the product of the Korn Ferry (or lower leagues) if you had some bigger names trying trying to win their way back to the big leagues.  Essentially a promotion/relegation system, but with more chances for movement up and down.  

Stupid obnoxious greed..... 

the wgc events already have the limited fields. And the promotion relegation already exists with having to be in the top 125 money list on the pga tour each year and whatever the euro/Dp has.

Would you want to see a world baseball league so that the minor leagues would be a better product. How about a world basketball league so the D league is a better product?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

49 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Would you want to see a world baseball league so that the minor leagues would be a better product. How about a world basketball league so the D league is a better product?

I think this is sort of apples and oranges.  The key difference is that a basketball court and a baseball diamond are all the same.  Royal Melbourne (Aus) and Carnoustie are not the same as Pebble and Bay Hill.  The goal would be to get more of these excellent international courses in play with the best players.  

The knock on effect is that the domestic league can move into the vacated spot (and venues) with promotion on the line.  Fields don't need to be 125 (or whatever large), there is room for both and the quality of both would probably improve.  

42 minutes ago, Jonny_Crash said:

I think this is sort of apples and oranges.  The key difference is that a basketball court and a baseball diamond are all the same.  Royal Melbourne (Aus) and Carnoustie are not the same as Pebble and Bay Hill.  The goal would be to get more of these excellent international courses in play with the best players.  

The knock on effect is that the domestic league can move into the vacated spot (and venues) with promotion on the line.  Fields don't need to be 125 (or whatever large), there is room for both and the quality of both would probably improve.  

The LPGA is a world tour and it doesn’t make the Symmetra now the Epson tour product better and the LET is is barely surviving. 

Putting world ranks from 71 thru whatever number in the world you choose doesn’t make the korn ferry a better tour or products it just puts more guys who don’t draw crowds or are barely hanging on to their careers at this point.  Here’s the list of current of 71-100.

BBBE1472-1E5D-466D-B245-6424FAF38F8A.jpeg

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The LPGA is a world tour and it doesn’t make the Symmetra now the Epson tour product better and the LET is is barely surviving. 

Putting world ranks from 71 thru whatever number in the world you choose doesn’t make the korn ferry a better tour or products it just puts more guys who don’t draw crowds or are barely hanging on to their careers at this point.  Here’s the list of current of 71-100.

In all honesty my main interest in this thought exercise is not about the secondary tours but rather in getting the top pros to play some different courses in some different areas of the world.  I think it would be fun to see a UK swing and have them play links golf for a month.    

The secondary tour issue is simply an idea to keep some of the traditional tour stops running and with an interest towards the local economies.  That being said, I don't particularly care one way or another.  This was purely a secondary thought.  

Greg Norman asked the same questions over a quarter of a century ago.  He tried to give it a go, but it got squashed by PGA Tour, who later started the World Golf Championships, making Norman go ballistic.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

41 minutes ago, Jonny_Crash said:

In all honesty my main interest in this thought exercise is not about the secondary tours but rather in getting the top pros to play some different courses in some different areas of the world.  I think it would be fun to see a UK swing and have them play links golf for a month.    

The secondary tour issue is simply an idea to keep some of the traditional tour stops running and with an interest towards the local economies.  That being said, I don't particularly care one way or another.  This was purely a secondary thought.  

The pros have that now. They can play anywhere they want. The ones that are able to set their schedule do it around prepping for the majors. Having to travel all over the world for 25 events or so takes a lot out of them. Look at how many don’t play more than a handful of events in a row because of fatigue.

As mentioned by jlukes there’s places that don’t have the infrastructure in place along with all the logistical stuff.

If you take away the top 70 players in the world to go play elsewhere people aren’t going to show up to watch the rest of the list I posted and any korn ferry tour players play. I’ve been to congressional when Tiger wasn’t there and the crowds were small even though several top names were in the field.

Its as much the players as it is the course that gets people to come out