Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Looking for my first Range Finder

tdc1

Last year was my first time using GPS watch (ShotScope G3) which I really like; this year thinking of adding a range finder for more accurate measurements.  The number of choices is a bit daunting and I could use some advice. 

Looking for a ranger finder that:

(1) is easy to use while wearing glasses -- contacts are not an option for me so I always wear glasses -- I've tried a couple of with my friends and have had some problem with my glasses and the finder's eye cup;

(2) compensate for somewhat shaky hands -- running joke in the family with old film cameras was that I always lowered the camera at the same time I pushed the button to expose film with predictable results -- I don't know if that means image stabilization (like most digital cameras these days) or just a fast lock-on feature;

(3) preferably water resistant or waterproof;

Otherwise open to other features.  Would love to stay around $200 (might as well ask for the moon), but would go higher if needed.

Thanks.

Tim

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

This is probably the best place to start:  https://mygolfspy.com/best-laser-rangefinders-2021/

If shaky hands is your number one priority,  it sounds like the Nikon should be on your list. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, tdc1 said:

Last year was my first time using GPS watch (ShotScope G3) which I really like; this year thinking of adding a range finder for more accurate measurements.  The number of choices is a bit daunting and I could use some advice. 

Looking for a ranger finder that:

(1) is easy to use while wearing glasses -- contacts are not an option for me so I always wear glasses -- I've tried a couple of with my friends and have had some problem with my glasses and the finder's eye cup;

(2) compensate for somewhat shaky hands -- running joke in the family with old film cameras was that I always lowered the camera at the same time I pushed the button to expose film with predictable results -- I don't know if that means image stabilization (like most digital cameras these days) or just a fast lock-on feature;

(3) preferably water resistant or waterproof;

Otherwise open to other features.  Would love to stay around $200 (might as well ask for the moon), but would go higher if needed.

Thanks.

Tim

I have the Nikon Coolshot Pro II Stabilized and I love it! Great optics, easy to get right on the flag with the stabilization, perfect size, etc. Great laser.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I love my caddytek rangefinder. Relatively cheap at 129 bucks but does a great job. I will say it does take a little getting used to, and you don't need the steadiest hand, but need to be in the vicinity. https://www.costco.com/caddytek-golf-laser-rangefinder%2C-caddyview-v2-%2Bslope.product.100419508.html

In my bag:

Driver:  :Hogan: Ben Hogan GS53 10.5* Stiff Mitsubishi tensei blue Stiff

3 Wood: :Sub70: 939 x 15 deg. UST Proforce Black V2 7F4 stiff

Hybrid:  :Sub70: 939x Hybrid UST 680 recoil shaft stiff

Irons: :Sub70: 699 irons 4-PW  KBS tour 90 v Stiff 

50 Deg:Sub70: TAIII Satin

54 deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

58 Deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

Putter:Sub70: 004 Single Bend Masters Edition

Rangefinder: :CaddyTek: Caddytek V2

Check out my MyGolfSpy 2020 Forum Official Tester: Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

When I was testing Precision Pro here, I found that it locked on pretty quickly even when the finder wasn't the steadiest in my hands. Great build & value on their units. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I have a Callaway 300 Pro that I have been very happy with.  They're now selling for under $200.  I also wear glasses.

:callaway-small: Rogue ST MAX, Project X Cypher Black 40 Graphite 5.5

image.png.5437ebe1f69b3330b39e21119440731c.png G425 Max 5-wood

:ping-small: G425 Max 7-wood

:mizuno-small: Hot Metal 921, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Graphite

image.png.6d1f61c2c733ddfac4c3094a971ed4fb.png CBX ZipCore Chrome 52* 56* 60* Wedges

:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Buckingham putter

22 hours ago, russtopherb said:

When I was testing Precision Pro here, I found that it locked on pretty quickly even when the finder wasn't the steadiest in my hands. Great build & value on their units. 

I'd also recommend the Precision Pro. Note, I wear glasses and my hand does shake a little bit, however, the pin seeker technology picks up the flag stick even before my hand steadies enough to shoot it. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

On 2/19/2022 at 8:37 AM, russtopherb said:

5 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

I'd also recommend the Precision Pro. Note, I wear glasses and my hand does shake a little bit, however, the pin seeker technology picks up the flag stick even before my hand steadies enough to shoot it. 

+2. I’m very happy with my Precision Pro NX7Pro Slope. It locks on quick enough (if I shoot at flags) and it’s as accurate as any $500 rangefinder (I know as I’m constantly shooting alongside guys with every imaginable make/model). I just hang my glasses on my collar momentarily, and I adjusted the diopter so focus is perfect for me. I never bothered with trying to shoot with glasses. YMMV

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)