TESTERS WANTED! ×

The Honda Classic - 2022

fixyurdivot

Pack your bags all... we're heading across country to the Sunshine State and Palm Beach Gardens (PGA National Resort & Spa).  Sounds more like a vacation than work 🙂. Matt Jones returns to defend his win last year. The yellow ribbons will be out in full bloom and, while not as star studded as the Genesis, a strong field will be there trying to grab a share of the now $8,000,000 purse ($7.1M in 2021). Not sure if this will be a new trend or not but I wouldn't be surprised if it is and driven by all the world tour chatter.

PGA The Honda Classic Odds

Palm Beach Gardens is home to the famous "Bear Trap" holes #15-17, a water everywhere stretch that has yielded a 230 over par last season.  All you Ryan Palmer FTx owners have a decision to make in starting him - he holds the tour record for the most dunks since 2007 😱.  Many contend it's more psychological than anything... perhaps that is exactly what Jack wanted?  Pick your winner in the pool  https://runmypools.com/JRMPNWWF.  Good luck!

PGA National is more of a test than just 'The Bear Trap'

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Awesome, specially after somehow I missed the Genesis

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

It was a smart move by the Tour to up the pot.  

When you’re sharing a four week stretch with Riviera, Bay Hill and The Players’ you need to be a little lucrative with your marketing. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

26 minutes ago, jlukes said:

The shittiest course on the PGA Tour.

Evidently some players agree. Evidently TPC didn't preserve what was a premier brand at the beginning. https://golf.com/news/si-golf-com-anonymous-player-poll-pga-tour-pros-unfiltered-sound-off/

What’s the worst course on the current PGA Tour schedule?

TPC Four Seasons Resort (Byron Nelson): 14%
TPC New Orleans (Zurich Classic): 12%
Torrey Pines (Farmer’s Insurance Open): 10%
TPC San Antonio (Valero Texas Open): 4%
PGA National – Champion (Honda Classic): 4%
TPC Summerlin (Shriners): 4%
Waialae Country Club (Sony Open): 4%
None: 10%
Don’t know/no comment: 16%
Other: 22%

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

6 minutes ago, jlukes said:

The shittiest course on the PGA Tour.

That's one $^^ty course I'd like to play 😉.

On 2/21/2022 at 10:16 AM, bens197 said:

It was a smart move by the Tour to up the pot.  

When you’re sharing a four week stretch with Riviera, Bay Hill and The Players’ you need to be a little lucrative with your marketing. 

The entire player field can thank Phil for this 🤣.  Holy Hedoublehockeytsticks... I was listening to McGinnis & Feherty yesterday on PGA radio and the comments from Rory and a couple of others about Phil' latest blathering's.  What a mess!  I think I also heard that DJ, BAD, Rory, Morikawa, and JT have said their dancing with who brung em.  Looks like Norman's fishing pond is turning into a luke warm bath of guppies.  Much as I like Phil, the optics are certainly looking bad 🙄.

1 minute ago, Middler said:

Evidently the players agree. https://www.sportscasting.com/these-are-the-pga-tour-golf-courses-that-every-pro-hates/#:~:text=The TPC Four Seasons Resort Las Colinas was,though it’s connected to a Four Seasons resort.

Worst Courses:

4. tied - Waialae Country Club (Sony Open), TPC Sumerlin (Shriners), PGA National (Honda Classic) & TPC San Antonio (Valero)

3. Torrey Pines (Farmers)

2. TPC Louisiana (Zurich Classic)

1. TPC Four Seasons (Byron Nelson)

Wow, Torey Pines surprises me.  Still, I'd love to play anyone of their "worst courses" 🙂.

18 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

That's one $^^ty course I'd like to play 😉.

Honestly don't waste your money.  It is supremely unspectacular.  I played it in 2015 and was absolutely shocked that is a regular tour stop.  It is a Florida resort/community course through and through. The Bear trap is fun for no other reason then you see PGA Tour players playing it and it is called The Bear Trap.  The other 15 holes are some of the most forgettable golf holes I have every played - and they are all lined with copy and paste houses.

20 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Wow, Torey Pines surprises me.  Still, I'd love to play anyone of their "worst courses" 🙂.

Torrey Pines being on that list doesn't surprised me either.  There are a few holes on Torrey that have a glimpse of the ocean.  Other than that, the course is your typical parklands course.  With very few memorable holes.  

I mean they just played the US Open there and I struggle to remember details of any particular hole.  Heck the most memorable things about Torrey is the pond on 18, which is an absolute abomination of a man made hazard.  It is one of the most unnatural hazards you will every see on a tour-level golf course.  

Here is a good article on why Torrey Pines is a poorly designed course

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/lists/u-s-open-torrey-pines-beautiful-course-design-could-be-better/

16 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Honestly don't waste your money.  It is supremely unspectacular.  I played it in 2015 and was absolutely shocked that is a regular tour stop.  It is a Florida resort/community course through and through. The Bear trap is fun for no other reason then you see PGA Tour players playing it and it is called The Bear Trap.  The other 15 holes are some of the most forgettable golf holes I have every played - and they are all lined with copy and paste houses.

14 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Torrey Pines being on that list doesn't surprised me either.  There are a few holes on Torrey that have a glimpse of the ocean.  Other than that, the course is your typical parklands course.  With very few memorable holes.  

I mean they just played the US Open there and I struggle to remember details of any particular hole.  Heck the most memorable things about Torrey is the pond on 18, which is an absolute abomination of a man made hazard.  It is one of the most unnatural hazards you will every see on a tour-level golf course.  

Here is a good article on why Torrey Pines is a poorly designed course

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/lists/u-s-open-torrey-pines-beautiful-course-design-could-be-better/

What a buzz-kill! Now I have two golf vacation reservations to cancel 🙂.  I'd think just saying that I've played any of the PGA tour stop courses would be enough for me.  The only one's I've notched is Chambers Bay, Spy Glass, and (formerly) Doral CC when I was bagging Chi-Chi Rodriguez irons in a black and red plaid bag... 1960's.

2 hours ago, jlukes said:

@fixyurdivotI feel like Joe and I share this sentiment every year around this time.  He's played it, so have I.  Having lived in Jupiter / Palm Beach for 9 years I will shout from the roof that PGA National Champ course is a pure trash.  I was so disappointed that I paid $150 in 2005 with a PGA Member rate...I just drove home thinking what a waste of money.

If you're ever considering playing in SE Florida, give me a shout and I promise I'll give you a good route to follow.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

1 hour ago, bens197 said:

@fixyurdivotI feel like Joe and I share this sentiment every year around this time.  He's played it, so have I.  Having lived in Jupiter / Palm Beach for 9 years I will shout from the roof that PGA National Champ course is a pure trash.  I was so disappointed that I paid $150 in 2005 with a PGA Member rate...I just drove home thinking what a waste of money.

If you're ever considering playing in SE Florida, give me a shout and I promise I'll give you a good route to follow.

Haha yup. I don’t even know what the going rate is these days but whatever it is I can assure you it’s too much. $50 with a cart seems fair. That’s about what i pay for my local muni up here (and enjoy the muni so much more)

Okay, let's look at this Palm Beach Gardens Champions course from another perspective.  It's only fair that the tour prima-donna's have to play a few $^^^^y tracks every year so they appreciate both what we mortals deal with and the pristine conditions/layouts that they still gripe about 😆.  

Let the carnage begin! I love watching the pros play tough tracks. I'm rooting for a single digit under par winner... 

:callaway-small: Rogue LS 9° Driver, X stiff KuroKage
:ping-small: G410 17° & 19° hybrid, X stiff
:mizuno-small:  JPX-921 Tours 4 iron thru PW, Modus 105 X stiff
:mizuno-small:  S18 50°, 56° & 60°
 :bettinardi-1: Single Stock #3 34.5" putter

2019 MSG Forum Tester- Bridgestone e12

2021 Callaway Epic Max LS Driver Test

1 hour ago, DannyDips said:

Let the carnage begin! I love watching the pros play tough tracks. I'm rooting for a single digit under par winner... 

Sounds like from the responses above that this is a push-over, lackluster, ho-hum venue; which should result in more like a mid 20's under winning score.  But, to the contrary, the average winning score for this event, over the past 15 years, is 8.9 under par.  So, while it may very well be unimpressive aesthetics-wise, clearly it is more challenging than most tour stops.  In fact, the info I found suggests it is the 2nd most difficult course on tour to go low on.  Granted it is a par 70, but that should be accounted for in the rating criterion.  The other possibility is that the field just sucks 🤣.

Instead of a winning player, we should have picked how many balls get wet.  The record was set in 2020 at 339!  I haven't looked but suspect there is a Vegas betting line on this (seems like one can bet on almost anything). At this point it would seem Daniel Berger will hoist the hardware this afternoon... but you just never know.

woodland.jpg?w=1000&h=480&crop=1