TESTERS WANTED! ×

Long or "Broomstick" Putters - Anyone?

GolfSpy TCB

Using a 48" broomstick for over 10 years now.  Cannot now putt with anything short.  Currently gaming a Ping Craz E.  When anchoring was banned moved it inch off my sternum, no biggie.  Once acclimatized to a stroke (and there are difft ways, mine is 2 finger pencil on lower hand), long or short putts make no difference, to me.  I would say I am in top 5% of my clubs putting stats, and won our Senior Club C in 2021.  Long vs short putter, at 66.5 years young....no contest, long wins for me.  If keen, give it an extended serious try...you may never go back.  nothing to lose but a bit o time, and $.  good luck!

I built a 50" chest putter years ago and putted lights out with it.  When they changed to not letting you anchor it I went back as that to me was the advantage to it.  Bernhardt still uses it and I'm betting he anchors it.  How can you tell?  

What's In the Bag

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° driver w/stiff Xcaliber Avalon 5 shaft
Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3-wood w/stiff Xcaliber Mystic 5 shaft
Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3-hybrid w/stiff Xcaliber RT shafts shaft
Malby KE4 Max irons with reg Xcaliber RT shafts
Callaway Jaws full toe 60° wedge with Project X Catalyst 80 wedge graphite shaft
Odyssey White Hot OG #7 CH stroke lab putter
Callaway Org 14 bag

I'm not over the hill.  I'm on the back nine.

16 hours ago, warbirdlover said:

I built a 50" chest putter years ago and putted lights out with it.  When they changed to not letting you anchor it I went back as that to me was the advantage to it.  Bernhardt still uses it and I'm betting he anchors it.  How can you tell?  

Human nature as it is, one would venture a guess that because serious money is at stake, his actions would be under close observation by all concerned.

Total Callaway bag - except putter

19 hours ago, warbirdlover said:

The Rules Officials on the Champions Tour are just as informed and diligent as the guy who noticed Frattelli's infraction the other day, I'm sure they're watching..  And as @ballhawk says, the guys competing against him will be watching to be sure he doesn't gain an illegal advantage.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

On 4/18/2022 at 7:45 PM, warbirdlover said:

That has been a controversy all over golf social media ever since the anchoring ban took effect. I like Langer and do not care. I am sure if he is anchoring rules officials and fellow players would see and call him out on it

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

1 hour ago, Riverboat said:

You guys are making it sound like it's easy to tell. If a player is wearing even a slightly loose shirt or several layers, only that player himself can possibly tell if he is anchoring. That's why you have many tour players saying, almost always off the record, that the putters should be banned and pointing out players they think are cheating. It's one of the reasons they quietly referred to Billy Mayfair as Will He Play Fair. Like most people who have open eyes and have any level of experience, these players believe that given the opportunity, most people will cheat at whatever they are doing. The Bobby Joneses of the world are few and far between.

If you believe that everyone cheats whenever possible, even players under consistent scrutiny of knowledgeable Rules Officials, there's nothing anyone can say to change your mind.  

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

12 hours ago, Riverboat said:

I was unaware that you could anchor with the thumb, just not the shaft.  That is ridiculous!

Have you read the Rule, either the old Rule referenced in that old video, or the current Rule?  You may NOT anchor your gripping hand to any part of the body, and Langer never says he does that.  I won't claim that I can tell from video what Langer does, but there are plenty of Officials who have taken a good close look.  Those officials hear the same jealous muttering that you bring up, they're going to do their best to make sure things are done correctly.

If you'd like more video, watch this one:

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/masters-2016-tips-putting-bernhard-langer

"I start out anchored, then move it off my body a little"

Or read this one:

https://www.golfaustralia.com.au/feature/bernhard-langer-comes-clean-492409

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

12 hours ago, Riverboat said:

Not everyone, but the vast majority. Who is under more scrutiny than top tour players? And yet we saw Patrick Reed clearly sweep sand from behind his ball in a bunker. And a few years back at the Masters, we saw tiger woods play on when his ball clearly moved at address. If it had just settled down a fraction, I could believe that he was unaware, but it also rotated a fraction, something that someone with his eyesight couldn't have missed. These are just 2 examples that come immediately to mind.

I coached high school golf for 25 years in a league that sent dozens of players to top rated D1 college programs, including one who is a shoo in future world golf HOFer. In all those years, there were exactly two players who I never saw try anything shady. One was the aforementioned HOFer and the other also won a state championship. The others tried to cheat brazenly or, more often, twist the rules to their benefit. Many admitted when confronted that they did it because they (correctly in most cases) assumed that the coaches watching them didn't know the rules well enough to correct them.

My son played 4 years of varsity golf in a nearby league and said he never once played with any kid who didn't at least try to cheat at least once in every match. This often included kids who cut deals with opposing players to shave equal numbers of strokes so they wouldn't be stuck in challenge matches with teammates for the next match (something my players told me they also saw in our league).

So yes, I believe cheating is rampant. If most people think they can get away with something, they will try it.

Talked to one of my scramble partners last night on the phone. He is like me a straight up guy. He joined the VFW league a couple of weeks ago. I will stress the fact again he was a straight shooter. He was all distraught about the rampart cheating and sand bagging going on. He is now thinking about quitting that game. Now I am not exactly a rules Nazi and either is he. His point was that a guy he was playing with was constantly shaving strokes darn near every hole. I mean if either one of us are playing with someone we certainly would not insist someone hitting off a tree root and hurting themself for any reason. Me I will hit it simply because I have played so much stipulated golf and down matches I know from experience how to clip a ball off a root or rock. Something my old man always instilled in me as a Pro and big stakes gambler "all ways square your actions with your fellow players" and no he was not a Mason either. 

In our weekly Shootouts there is rampart cheating. As our rules state we putt out everything but most don't. Like he and I have stated many times no one at our club will play he and I in a down match for money because they know they can not beat us. He is no rookie either being 80 yoa and has played in every World Am Handicap event since it started. He has a couple of overall wins in is age and handicap brackets too over the years. His motto is that he can beat them despite their cheating and sandbagging and he can look at himself in the mirror every morning. Myself one of the reasons I do not do leagues etc around here too much cheating and bickering. And if one wants to really get technical the clubs in my signature are "non conforming" but they do not give me any advantage. I have contended in the past and still contend that they were legal to USGA standards on the date of Mfg. But if someone wants to play me for some serious green and conforming issues come up then I have a conforming set of TM Irons with a PM 56 that is conforming I can play with. But basically I do my own thing now and it is fun. And yes if I play by myself and even though our course is not pristine I play the ball down. Sometimes on the range just for kicks and giggles I will drop a ball in a divot and hit from there. Had a nosy tourist golfer ask about that the other day. I told him I guess you are one of the folks that roll the ball? He shut up then and there. A couple of years ago before I was hurt and we had the old power team someone brought up my wedges being non conforming. That came about because our 18th green is exposed and rock hard. I spun a ball back and everyone on the porch saw me do it. LOl I guess I sorta cheated because I did use a Balata wound ball for that approach shot. A blowhard accused me of cheating The guy mentioned that the Scramble was a stipulated event. I told him BS because first off it was not stipulated because you had your hand on the ball between the tee and green. One of my partners who is a successful car dealer offered to let me play him in a down match for $1000 one on one. And my bud asked me if I still had the TM irons and PM wedges? Of course Mr Blowhard would not bite. Our Pro/ Co Owner put it into perspective " If anyone took our shootout that serious they needed to find another venue to play" I do not believe that guy and his partners ever came back. I know supposedly he and his buds were talking crap at a course south of us when a guy pitched in and told everyone there that he would not play me in a serious down match that he was there when the challenge was issued. Now days I do not play comps or for serious green anymore. The closest thing I do for money is on Friday afternoons some of us Scramble guys get together and play a $1 round robin. But if the need arises I can play strictly by the rules with " conforming equipment" and I have plenty of backers.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

23 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Have you read the Rule, either the old Rule referenced in that old video, or the current Rule?  You may NOT anchor your gripping hand to any part of the body, and Langer never says he does that.  I won't claim that I can tell from video what Langer does, but there are plenty of Officials who have taken a good close look.  Those officials hear the same jealous muttering that you bring up, they're going to do their best to make sure things are done correctly.

If you'd like more video, watch this one:

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/masters-2016-tips-putting-bernhard-langer

"I start out anchored, then move it off my body a little"

Or read this one:

https://www.golfaustralia.com.au/feature/bernhard-langer-comes-clean-492409

Yeah I agree there are too many cameras today that can see more detailed than the human eye and I know he has had a lot of close observation especially from blowhard Lanny Watkins. I heard from a close reliable source in Florida that the Tour told Lanny to shut up or he would be banned from future broadcasts. I will state on Langer he being a Christian man that if any way it was cheating he would not do it. In fact if my back does not get much better I may go back to a Broomstick. Even when I putted with it some 5 or 6 years ago now I did not anchor per say because it restricted my natural movement. The old argument of it is an advantage does not hold water either because if that was the etched in stone truth then everyone would be doing it. Now do not get me started on the arm lock method either forward or reverse

G

With a life time just about at 80 yrs, I've had more than my share of watching and having my fellow man do things that only can be described as cheating/dishonest. I'm afraid if push came to shove, I'd have to side with Riverboat on his position on human nature. This may sound somewhat contradictory, but I believe and have seen enough to also state that there is a lot of good and honest folks rooming around, but they just don't get the press that the bad guys do. Now not to get overly sanctimonious, but in the long run, those that fall on the wrong side will eventually have karma visit of some sort. As for the game of golf and playing with folks that cheat, well the game itself is a solitary endeavor and I can just enjoy the game for what it gives to me. As long as I'm not playing for cash, even a dollar a side, I don't really care what another does with their game. Eventually they will be labeled for their actions and most folks will avoid interaction.  

Total Callaway bag - except putter

8 hours ago, Riverboat said:

Seriously? With all the crap that those claiming to be Christians pull in today's world, I really don't think that has anything to do with believing someone or not. And I say that as a Christian.

You said it the key word is Claiming

G

• 3 months later...
On 3/7/2022 at 8:55 PM, RATOUR7 said:

Not a fan of the broom stick !!! Players still ground or anchor it against their chest and PGA lets it go. The extended putter shaft should be outed and go back as it was ....

Posted by someone with no experience of really destructive yips no doubt. I simply cannot play without mine. Still have to putt left hand low but it is a game saver. Consider myself a pretty decent putter from inside 30'. As others have said - long range and fringe are more challenging. 

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry you have the yips, but it's a matter of grip, alignment ,shaft length for me is 34" and club head design.I use a Vizor WilsonStaff , I think it really kicked off the new design mallet putter heads that are in use today . But you must work on aim, green reading and grip the putter like there is an egg in your hand. But each to his own !!!!! 

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up an Odyssey  Dual Force Rossie 1 recently and I'm having some really good success with it.  It's better suited for me than the Face Forward GP putter.  I had some good days with the GP however I can already tell the Broom Stick stroke will be much better for my stroke.  We'll see how this journey goes for for now it's looking promising as I shot 79 yesterday using this style.  

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I'm enjoying the Odyssey so much that I have a SeeMore Platinum SBc20  Broomstick  Putter on the way. I'm interested to see how the red dot works with alignment.  It was supposed to be delivered yesterday but something happened in Atlanta and it's on delay. 😠

Edit:  This SeeMore does not have the red dot you normally see however it's easy to to use the two white lines behind the shaft to square the putter up.  I've enjoyed putting with this model and it's helped me to cut my putt count down which makes the game more enjoyable!  

SeemoreBroomstickPutter.jpg

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

• 7 months later...
52 minutes ago, Straker said:

BAN THE BROOMSTICK!!

Tell us why, and tell us how you'd write a clear and enforceable rule.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

6 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Tell us why, and tell us how you'd write a clear and enforceable rule.

LOL he is trolling us see that is his first post----- But since you brought it up the only rule I could see as being enforceable would to be to limit total putter length to 35" period. But then again I could see where some people could arm lock that

G

Hard pass here. I've tried and just feels really awkward to me.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

For those of you that have experienced the dreaded “yips”; this is the way to go. I’ve been using mine for three years. You wil see good success on short putts and it will take some practice to gain speed control on mid and long putts.

the USGA needs to make rules for amateur golfers, separate from processionals to make the game more enjoyable/playable (for example arm-lock and anchoring).

George R. Kelley

On 2/23/2022 at 4:05 PM, HDTVMAN said:

I've tried :broom-stick" putters, but couldn't keep them steady. I also had belly putters but eventually cut them down and adjusted the lie & loft to a 36".

Try L.A.B. Broomsticks. Specifically designed to be weighted as a long putter and the easiest steady stroke imaginable.

I’ve putted with Broomsticks since the early 2000s (save that year or 2 after the anchoring ban when I tried to go back to a short putter and almost quit golf) and nothing putts better than my L.A.B.

I've tried :broom-stick" putters, but couldn't keep them steady. I also had belly putters but eventually cut them down and adjusted the lie & loft to a 36".

Try L.A.B. Broomsticks. Specifically designed to be weighted as a long putter and the easiest steady stroke imaginable.

I’ve putted with Broomsticks since the early 2000s (save that year or 2 after the anchoring ban when I tried to go back to a short putter and almost quit golf) and nothing putts better than my L.A.B.

Currently in the bag:

Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Cobra LTDx 3 wood 14* | Callaway Utility Wood 17* and 21* | Callaway Apex ‘19 forged 5-PW | Edison 2.0 wedges 49*, 53*, 57* | LAB DF2.1 Broomstick 50” | Transrover bag

Currently in the bag:

Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Cobra LTDx 3 wood 14* | Callaway Utility Wood 17* and 21* | Callaway Apex ‘19 forged 5-PW | Edison 2.0 wedges 49*, 53*, 57* | LAB DF2.1 Broomstick 50” | Transrover bag

Yup, got two.

A Ping B90 and a Scotty Cameron Studio.  Going on for 500 quid's worth that has now been rendered virtually useless and unsellable.

I tend not to use them now because of the stupid ridiculous anchoring ban.  I tended not to anchor but the trouble is it's so open to misinterpretation.  Your playing partners and others in the field will claim that you are anchoring, (when you know you are not).  It ends up in an argument your game is affected and upset.  So not worth the hassle.

I considered the ban unnecessary.  Another stupid ruling by the R&A and USGA.  The statistics and results did not show the long putters to be any more effective than conventional putters.

I had the problem explained to me by a member of the R&A.  The American universities and colleges were encouraging players from an early part of their careers to use the belly putter.  The coaches were actually encouraging the use and teaching them how to use them.  There were more and more players from developing countries in Asia opting to go straight to the long putter before they had even tried to use a conventional type.  It was deemed untraditional.  So by introducing the anchoring ban the long putter was effectively banned in the process, which was the objective, because if they had gone for a direct ban, the manufacturers would have no doubt taken it to litigation.

The long putter, whether belly or broomhandle, was developed for those golfers of a certain age or who had developed serious age related yips.  It was OK as far as most people were concerned.  It enabled some good golfers to prolong their careers and enjoyment of the game.  But then along came the ruling body spoilers.

I started using one because of a bad back.  I couldn't spend the amount of time practicing that I wanted without coming away and needing a serious massage and pain killers.  So the upright uncrouched stance suited me.  I didn't putt any better or worse.

My argument against a ban at the time was that pretty soon golf was being reintroduced at the Olympics and as such would be also be included in the highly televised Paralympics.  Separate rules would have to be introduced for golfers with disabilities - how were they going to govern and police that?  A separate rule book was published in the end by the R&A which has now been incorporated into the main rule book.  But they still can't police it properly.

Just because other players who lack sympathy and understanding think that long putters should go, doesn't mean to say they are wrong.  I don't see the argument.  If you don't like them, don't use them - simple.  But leave those who are less able to enjoy the game as best they can.

They should have left well alone, like many other things that have been needlessly changed.  Nothing was really broken, so why attempt fixing it?

1 hour ago, George Kelley said:

the USGA needs to make rules for amateur golfers, separate from processionals to make the game more enjoyable/playable (for example arm-lock and anchoring).

Arm lock is allowed under the current Rules.  Anchoring is not, but that doesn't stop players from using long putters without anchoring.  I don't see any reason for a change.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

1 hour ago, YamYam said:

The long putter, whether belly or broomhandle, was developed for those golfers of a certain age or who had developed serious age related yips.  It was OK as far as most people were concerned.  It enabled some good golfers to prolong their careers and enjoyment of the game.  But then along came the ruling body spoilers.

I started using one because of a bad back.  I couldn't spend the amount of time practicing that I wanted without coming away and needing a serious massage and pain killers.  So the upright uncrouched stance suited me.  I didn't putt any better or worse.

My argument against a ban at the time was that pretty soon golf was being reintroduced at the Olympics and as such would be also be included in the highly televised Paralympics.  Separate rules would have to be introduced for golfers with disabilities - how were they going to govern and police that?  A separate rule book was published in the end by the R&A which has now been incorporated into the main rule book.  But they still can't police it properly.

Just because other players who lack sympathy and understanding think that long putters should go, doesn't mean to say they are wrong.  I don't see the argument.  If you don't like them, don't use them - simple.  But leave those who are less able to enjoy the game as best they can.

This is a really good argument.  You made some great points.

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G425 Max ( Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 55g R)

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Big Bertha B23 3 Wood (RCH 55 Regular), :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Stealth 2 HD 5 Wood (Fujikura Speeder NX Red Regular)

Hybrid:  :titleist-small: Titleist TSR2 5 Hybrid (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 R)

Irons: :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Apex 21 DCB (Project X IO Steel R), 

Wedges: :cleveland-small: Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 50, :cleveland-small: Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54, :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Jaws Full Face 58

Putter: :cleveland-small: Cleveland HB Soft #8P (UST All-In)

Ball: :srixon-small: Srixon Q Star Tour

I used a long putter years ago. Unlike what most say I had no issue with longer putts. I could really control distance with how far back I took it. But I struggled with shorter putts and I found the technique very temperamental. Anything off, esp ball position, was a sure way to hit a bad putt. 

btw, I have a new tour issue ski pole shaft I found in my old shafts if anyone wants to build one 

Driver: Sim 9*, ventus blue 6R

3 wood: Srixon ZX

Hybrids: Srixon ZX 3H and 4H

Irons: Golfworks TS2, 5-GW (5 iron with UST Recoil F3; 6-GW, Nippon 950h reg)

Wedges: Golfworks TSW 52* and 58*, 52* Nippon 950GH, & 58* TT90

Putter: Odyssey Versa 12

Ball: Srixon Zstar

Bag: Sun Mountain 2.5

The Broom handle putter should be outlawed....  The fact is the shaft is anchored when holding the fist pressed against the  sternum (chest bone).... PRACTICE ,PRACTICE ,PRACTICE IS WHAT WILL HELP TO BECOME A GOOD PUTTER.... OR PLAYER IN TOTAL... PRACTICE ,K.I.S.S. METHOD Keep It Simple 

RATOUR7; 1)  are you a tour pro? If so, then your anchoring argument may be valid for “professionals”. 
2) , if done properly the long putter is not anchored, but held away from the chest. 3) amateur golf is about enjoyment of the game. Golf is difficult enough, don’t try and legislate something that could cause some amateurs to leave the game.

George R. Kelley

Now that the USGA has gone to bifurcating the ball their reason for taking belly putters away is gone.  Look into a belly putter if you are looking for a change.  

They said we couldn't have them because the pros gained to much of an advantage.  So they no longer have any credibility around that rule.  Just take it from the pros like the ball rollback!

You should be able to find one one ebay to try or in some golf shops back room.

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized