Long or "Broomstick" Putters - Anyone?

Golfspy_TCB

I have been playing a broomstick putter for the last 6 years since having the dreaded yips from my old spider. I had usually 36 to 39 putts per round for a few years before getting a Ping B90 broomstick 

I have now become a very good putter with it and my average in the last 2 years is 31.2 putts per round which is what I was hoping for so I am very happy.Very very good on long putts and quite good with shorter ones under 10 feet

• Like 3

I have been working in golf for the past 20 years and I consider myself a master fitter also I write reviews for a music web magazine 

I have been using the long putter for 30 years and it has been a blessing to me. It cured my putting yips and also allowed me to practice my putting for as long as I want with my dicey back. I was really pissed off at the USGA for banning the anchoring of it, unnecessarily, and it took me a while to get use to using it unanchored. But now I can't tell the difference. TRY IT AND DON'T GIVE UP ON IT. Just remember to putt with your shoulders only and stand tall like Bernhard Langer , not bent over like Adam Scott.

• Like 3

I'm fairly sure that most folks know why the USGA banned the putter and for those that don't, it wasen't for the so called "good of the game". But that's another discussion on it't own.

Unlike Golfdad12, as I've stated prior, I cut down my putter and putt similar to the way Adam Scott does. I just found that I have more control and see the line much better. Plus, if it's windy, I don't get buffeted around like I did when I stood tall. That's what makes the game different for all of us, we all do something a little different that seemingly suits us in particular. 

• Like 3

I used one for a year. Accuracy improved but found the same issues others have noted regarding distance control.  I did find it helpful as a training tool most as it really does help you learn to putt with the bigger muscles and become less "handsy".  Don't expect it to solve all your problems as Adam Scott continues to show how to flounder with the broom flat stick. I'd recommend a putting mirror instead. Much cheaper and useful regardless of what type of putter or grip you experiment with going forward.

Edited by FmrCaddie13
Spelling issues
  • Like 1

Short game savant, driving disaster...

On 3/7/2022 at 7:13 PM, ballhawk said:

I'm fairly sure that most folks know why the USGA banned the putter and for those that don't, it wasen't for the so called "good of the game". But that's another discussion on it't own.

Unlike Golfdad12, as I've stated prior, I cut down my putter and putt similar to the way Adam Scott does. I just found that I have more control and see the line much better. Plus, if it's windy, I don't get buffeted around like I did when I stood tall. That's what makes the game different for all of us, we all do something a little different that seemingly suits us in particular. 

IMHO that last sentence says it all as far as I am concerned. And that translates through out the game too. I have always said this There is no one etched in stone way to properly play this game whether it be in swing, method or equipment. Yep it all has to do with the way we go about doing things and being comfortable in the way we do it

Yeah on the anchoring debate and the USGA if you start the thread I will darn sure contribute. Anyone who has known me for any time knows I am the biggest detractor of the USGA on this and any other site. Yeah the USGA states "for the betterment of the game" I call BS on that because it is for the betterment of their pocketbook and nothing else. 

Yep as far as I am concerned I do not give two rips how someone plays the game or what equipment they use---- I say tee it up and lets go

• Like 3

Driver ---- Honma G1_X Stock tuned Honma R shaft---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label --- PW  Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- SW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft---. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand

5 hours ago, FmrCaddie13 said:

I used one for a year. Accuracy improved but found the same issues others have noted regarding distance control.  I did find it helpful as a training tool most as it really does help you learn to putt with the bigger muscles and become less "handsy".  Don't expect it to solve all your problems as Adam Scott continues to show how to flounder with the broom flat stick. I'd recommend a putting mirror instead. Much cheaper and useful regardless of what type of putter or grip you experiment with going forward.

Good post--- As I stated above one has to develop their own style or method that they are comfortable with. Then practice it and gain faith and confidence with it. And over time you may have to change up some as you age or if you get like me with a permanent traumatic injury. I had to totally revamp my swing after breaking my back 2 years ago in an accident. I had to totally revamp my swing to be able to play pain free. Mine also came at what I call a transition period of me going into my Golden Years age wise. Yes I literally scrapped my swing of darn near 50 years and built back from the ground up. I will tell you how drastic it is. It would be about like Matthew Wolfe suddenly going to swing like Adam Scott. I had to revamp my equipment some too. I was always a good long iron player even when I was getting older. I was losing SS anyhow pre accident. I can still hit a long iron decent (even a 1 iron) but can not elevate it like I used to. Honestly now I have to push the issue and it causes pain. Something else for me I will admit is mentally. Basically I had to put the Man card away as I call it and I was silly thinking that way. Yeah I now have 4 headcovers in the bag. Even when I was in my heyday I carried some kind of trick wood in the bag. Back in the day it was a little Northwestern 6 wood which in the mainstream of things was odd with me bagging a 1 iron. Now days I am bagging the 7 wood and 9 wood. The 7 wood I have carried for some 15 years now. LOL as recently as 5 years ago I could bang that little 7 wood 185 or so. Now days it is 150 155. I also had to learn to revamp my whole game. Maybe I will do a thread one day on rebuilding my total game from the ground up physically , mentally and equipment wise. 

Driver ---- Honma G1_X Stock tuned Honma R shaft---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label --- PW  Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- SW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft---. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand

Well, we're gonna find out!

I just bought a 46" GP Face-on putter from Patrice Dionne because my back just can't take bending over to putt.  It took a long time to make such a radical decision, but I'm committed to putting this way for the upcoming season.  Living in the Boston area, I hope to get on a real putting green within the next few weeks; but if putting on my bedroom carpet is any indication, I think I'm going to like it.

It does take a little getting used to because it different than anything else I've done in golf.  I get my line from directly behind the ball, then move to the left one step and facing the hole. (It's not legal to putt by straddling the ball, but putting from the side and facing the hole is totally legal.)  Then it's just a simple pendulum swing along my line.  I'm sure it'll take practice to get my distances down but it's very comfortable on my back.  Let's see what the year brings! 😅

• Like 1

The "long" putter is by far the best way to put.  Why do you think they changed the rules about using them, and not being able to 'anchor' them to your upper body.  The "long" putter, cultivates the best notion of a pendulum stroke.  I should know, I used the "long" putter for 25 years, and it was by far the best way to put.  Use the 'claw' type grip in your right hand on the lower grip.  It will further stabilize the putter face.  Everyone thinks that they are a much better putter, than they actually are.  Forget the double anchoring rule, unless you play in sanctioned tournaments, and just putt with it, Bernard Langer style.  Personally I would choose a mallet type long putter, as it will help with the longer lag type putts.  My final thoughts about the "long" putter, is that it makes the putts magically half their actually length.  A 10 footer will feel like a 5 footer.  A 20 footer, like a 10 footer, etc, etc.  You will definitely enjoy the way a long putter feels and especially how much smoother it rools the ball.  And you will especially enjoy draining more putts!

Contact LAB golf they make the broomstick putter Adam Scott is using now. I feel like they know what’s up with the broomstick. Before you buy a broomstick make sure the putter will fit in your car.

As far as LAB golf the tec on the lie angle balance is definitely legit. I can also attest to the fact you can hit it anywhere on the Directed Force face and it goes straight. LAB recommend putting with your thumbs off the grip in practice to prevent pulls with their model since it takes a little bit to get used to the putter not fighting you. You can try this without buying their putter. 

To clarify my initial post of trying the long putter on and off was because of the greens I was playing on. I primarily play on a military course, which does/did not have the necessary crew or equipment or expertise to do justice to bent grass greens. It is only recently that we hired a new greens superintendent, who not only has the expertise, but also the desire to do an "old fashion" determination to do it right. We thought we were going to lose the greens, but he came in just in time and turned everything around. The greens are back and when they are being rolled, (which was something we never did prior to his arrival) during the warm months, they stimp between 11 and 12. Before then, they ran about an 8 or possibly a 9 at their best and they were bumpy. Now I found that when the greens were slow, the long putter was an exercise in frustration. You had to bully the stroke to get the ball to the hole and that just lent itself to all sorts of problems. Now that the greens are smooth and much faster, the stroke with the long putter has become fluid and smooth, there's no "hit" in the stroke and that has made the world of difference and my stats are showing it. On average, it's 30 strokes per round, with a few that came in at 26/27. The most I've had for an 18 for the past few months has been 34 and that was primarily due to wet and uncut greens that particular round. 

I played in our state open many, many moons ago, beside a gaggle of tour pros and learned a valuable lesson, which crushed my delusions of grandeur. From tee to green I did more than hold my own, but once on the greens, that ran 12-13, well you can imagine the carnage that ensued. I wish I would have had a long putter back then, but back in 1980, I don't think anyone played or even knew about them.  

• Like 1

When I try the broomstick.there is less chance for “hitting motion”. Forces me to set up to roll the ball.  I have broomstick to practice with whenever the short one doesn’t behave 

1 hour ago, Riverboat said:

Some people believe humans are mostly good. Based on my experiences, I'd say that is total BS. Most humans,  if given the opportunity, will cheat, lie, steal, and step on anyone else in range to get ahead. Allowing people to have these putters, then trusting them not to anchor, when there is no real way to tell if they are wearing even a slightly loose shirt, is total foolishness. Ban them. 

So in this thread we have what, a dozen or more who use a long putter?  Are you claiming that most or all of them cheat?  Do you believe that every player in the rough will improve his lie when nobody is nearby to catch him?  Are they all putting vaseline on the face of their driver?  In my experience, your distrust of people in general is unfounded, at least for the vast majority of golfers.

• Like 3

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

On 3/7/2022 at 7:13 PM, ballhawk said:

The USGA didn’t ban the putter, they banned anchoring the putter. You can still use a long putter..

• Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 10:29 PM, ballhawk said:

To clarify my initial post of trying the long putter on and off was because of the greens I was playing on. I primarily play on a military course, which does/did not have the necessary crew or equipment or expertise to do justice to bent grass greens. It is only recently that we hired a new greens superintendent, who not only has the expertise, but also the desire to do an "old fashion" determination to do it right. We thought we were going to lose the greens, but he came in just in time and turned everything around. The greens are back and when they are being rolled, (which was something we never did prior to his arrival) during the warm months, they stimp between 11 and 12. Before then, they ran about an 8 or possibly a 9 at their best and they were bumpy. Now I found that when the greens were slow, the long putter was an exercise in frustration. You had to bully the stroke to get the ball to the hole and that just lent itself to all sorts of problems. Now that the greens are smooth and much faster, the stroke with the long putter has become fluid and smooth, there's no "hit" in the stroke and that has made the world of difference and my stats are showing it. On average, it's 30 strokes per round, with a few that came in at 26/27. The most I've had for an 18 for the past few months has been 34 and that was primarily due to wet and uncut greens that particular round. 

I played in our state open many, many moons ago, beside a gaggle of tour pros and learned a valuable lesson, which crushed my delusions of grandeur. From tee to green I did more than hold my own, but once on the greens, that ran 12-13, well you can imagine the carnage that ensued. I wish I would have had a long putter back then, but back in 1980, I don't think anyone played or even knew about them.  

If Bernhard Langer had the broomstick back in the 80s he would have had more majors and tour wins on both sides of the pond

20 hours ago, Riverboat said:

Some people believe humans are mostly good. Based on my experiences, I'd say that is total BS. Most humans,  if given the opportunity, will cheat, lie, steal, and step on anyone else in range to get ahead. Allowing people to have these putters, then trusting them not to anchor, when there is no real way to tell if they are wearing even a slightly loose shirt, is total foolishness. Ban them. 

Ban is on anchoring. Ban is not on long putters 

Some people drive over the speed limit and some people drive safely under the legal speed limit  

Should we ban all fast cars that can potentially go past speed limit cause we can’t trust anyone behind a wheel of a fast car? No 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

Speed of a vehicle is easily measurable, so we can tell very easily if someone is cheating on that rule. 

A better analogy might be fully plastic 3d printed handguns. The federal government is arguing that they should be illegal precisely because they are not detectable, so therefore could easily be illegally taken places where handguns are restricted. Just like long putters, the jury is still out (pun intended) on where the law will land when the debate is fully settled. 

USGA and R&A made the ruling in 2019 about the use of long putters. You can beat dead horse with your argument but the debate is settled.  
Good luck in trying to ban the long putter (sarcasm)

Edited by Haro
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Haro said:

USGA and R&A made the ruling in 2019 about the use of long putters. You can beat dead horse with your argument but the debate is settled.  
Good luck in trying to ban the long putter (sarcasm)

The Rule was actually changed in the previous edition of the Rules, in 2016, and was announced in 2013.  

5 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

Debates go on and on in golf. Leaving the pin in when putting was legal, then illegal for decades with defined penalty, and now is legal again. And that's just one of many examples of rules that have been fluid over the years.  I wouldn't bet the house that we've heard the last on putter restrictions. 

We'll see, the Ruling Bodies made a specific decision to address a type of stroke that they considered to be outside of the way golf should be played, just as they addressed croquet-style putting decades earlier.  In neither decision did they limit the equipment significantly, although there IS a requirement that the clubhead not be at 90 degrees from the shaft.  I'd bet we see movement on divot rules before we see significant restrictions on the length of the putter, and that's not going to happen in my lifetime.

• Like 2

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

4 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

I find this comment very interesting. I'm assuming you mean some kind of relief from a divot? That would be an absolute nightmare.

I agree, that's why I said we won't see movement on either issue in my lifetime.

• Like 2

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I'm betting that we will see some rule changes in the coming session. First a minor history review. Back in the early 70's, the tour players requested several changes to the USGA. The out of bounds penalty, relief from divots, removing loose impediments in a trap and a few more that escape me at the moment. All were not changed at the time. Now at the present, several rules have been changed and the loose impediments in a trap was one. 

Now as far as divot relief, that rule is actually enforceable on the tour. They have a rules official available on a moments notice that could render a decision on the spot. Lets remember that they are playing for lots of money and one errant shot because of an unfair playing condition could cost them badly. Why unfair? Because depending on their tee time, those playing before did not have to deal with the amount of, if any, divots in the fairway. Now I reiterate, it's the tour that could handle this. Look back at the original rules of golf, that you could you write on a napkin and look at the current rules that has morphed into a book and in some cases a lawyer to interpret. Also, take into consideration all the times that the tour implemented their own rulings on condition and equipment. Just offering a different take on the subject.....

• Like 1

In professional teams sports there are meetings once a year to go over the rules and make changes so the game is more enjoyable and fair for everyone 

Don’t understand why golf is so slow to make changes.