TESTERS WANTED! ×

Long or "Broomstick" Putters - Anyone?

GolfSpy TCB

After seeing how a broomstick helped Lucas Glover, I think everyone should be considering it.  

That poor guy couldn't hit the hole from a foot - find the video and watch it.

I am so happy for him because not being able to get the ball in the hole from super-short distances was no way for a player to end their career.  His self-esteem is back and still growing.

I like the fact that newer broomstick heads are 500+ grams - that seems to be the biggest change.

Anyone have any feedback on the heavier heads? 

After retiring from the PGA of America, I did some demo days and club fitting for TaylorMade, Callaway, Titleist, Ping, Cobra, Srixon and Mizuno.

If you’ve had the yips or putting inconsistency, the broomstick is a great answer a balanced weighted version works best for me. Don’t listen to  those purists that are against long or arm lock putters. Only a few play professionally, for the 99% of recreational golfers, whether you play for enjoyment or in amateur competition use what makes you better at getting the ball in the hole….conventional, belly, armlock or broomstick putter!

George R. Kelley

A lot has changed for me since my posts of 2 + years ago. Because of my injuries I had to go to my graphite shafted TM CBs on a permanent basis. After other members persuading me to I joined the big golf league at our course. I could not put it behind me I thrived on competition. I had worn my old 588s out and I had built a Cally PM 56* and had obtained a brand new Vokey SM5 58*. For some reason I had developed the yips putting. Between my neurosurgeon (who plays golf) we figured out that those damaged nerves in my back were acting up bending over putting. Yeah I went back to my Ping broomstick. I putt much better especially 5 feet in and do not hurt as much. I did not anchor before when I used it and I do not anchor now. I had found out in the past that if I anchored I tended to get stuck and not let the head flow through. But I have went back to it now and I am enjoying myself again and scoring better. No one in our league has questioned it and one other guy putts with one too. Really I could care less what anyone else thinks I am using it unless the damaged nerves in my back clear up. Like one of my friends and fellow members said it enables me to practice putting and playing more without pain

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I watched the DP World Tour in Prague this morning and starting to see more guys there BROOMING. One guy I remember in particular had his top hand really far away from his sternum perhaps so that no one could accuse him of anchoring.

I think I also saw a guy on Korn Ferry Tour yesterday BROOMING too with a putter similar to Lucas Glover's.

After retiring from the PGA of America, I did some demo days and club fitting for TaylorMade, Callaway, Titleist, Ping, Cobra, Srixon and Mizuno.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I got tired of consistently 3 jacking an average of five per round and went back to my Odyssey Broomstick.  I'm getting back in the broom mode as I ordered a LAB Mezz Max Broomstick and it won't be here for five more weeks. As for anchoring 1: I think it's total bull shat and that ban should be banned. 2:  I personally hold the handle approximately 2 balls length away from any anchoring point. It actually feels uncomfortable for me to anchor so moving the putter away from my body feels more free. It frees me up to make a smooth pendulum stroke.  Since I went back to my old broom my 3 putts are much rarer now than when I was putting conventional length. If the old Odyssey has me putting better just think how the LAB Putter will improve my stroke.  I'm pumped, to say the least, however, the custom build takes several weeks so I have to be patient.  I was fit for length at 45 with Lie at 78 degrees.   I bought my old Odyssey off eBay so I have no clue what the specs are for it.   One week into a six-week lead time and a lonnnnnnng way to go. 🥲

PlatinumColor.jpg.7dfab656430c0d7e8ac35a55dff66dfe.jpg

Edited by ole gray

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

21 hours ago, ShimmyCocoBop said:

Ole Gray - 

Your new Broom looks hella-cool!

images.jpeg

Heck yea!  My new putter is going to be cooler than a swamp rat with his arse stuck to the ice on a cold January day! 💣

Cleveland

• 3 weeks later...

Yea still have my broomstick that I take out and practice or play a round with once in a while 

Its not any better than the short putter but it can free up some rigid thought about about "how one suppose to putt" 

Putting is more an art than a science for me 

As far as anchoring  I dont hold the butt end to my chest when I putt and I dont have problems with others using the broomstick as long as they follow the rules  

If I really want to "anchor" the putter then the arm lock is the way to go   

1 hour ago, Haro said:

Yea still have my broomstick that I take out and practice or play a round with once in a while 

Its not any better than the short putter but it can free up some rigid thought about about "how one suppose to putt" 

Putting is more an art than a science for me 

As far as anchoring  I dont hold the butt end to my chest when I putt and I dont have problems with others using the broomstick as long as they follow the rules  

If I really want to "anchor" the putter then the arm lock is the way to go   

I putt much better with my broom.  I had been running up 3 jacks with my regular putters faster than a pro counterfeiter pumping out Ben Franklins.  I've had pretty much every fricking "regular putter" known to man over the last several decades.  Sure I'd run through a few weeks with hot spells however consistency was never there for me. A couple of weeks ago I pulled out an old Odyssey Broom and began getting acquainted with it pending the arrival of my new LAB Mezz Max.   Even back in the old days when I was gaming a Broom, I couldn't do the anchor thing.  I tried but it felt like I was trying to wrestle a dry hog at the county fair. A dry hog grinds, grunts, farts, and hops around like it's got a good case of jock itch.  Anchoring the putter grip against my body felt like a dry hog.  Now you get ya self a greased-up hog and that sucker slips right along with a smooth flow.  Just like non-anchoring a Broom Putter.  No shirt, button,  beer gut, or other item kinking up the flow of things.  So yea the anchor rule although I thought it was a bunch of bullshat, I never could use anyways so it didn't pertain to me. 

The new LAB Broom is smoother than a warm slice of butter on a steaming hot ear of corn!  It's miles ahead of that old Odyssey I pulled out of the closet.  I changed out my grip this weekend from a Jumbo Max to a SuperStroke Golf Zenergy Tour 1.0 Grips - Two-Piece. I went out and practiced for an hour today getting ready for my three rounds this week and It's cooking with Crisco now baby! 😍🥰

Edited by ole gray

Cleveland

On 11/13/2023 at 11:07 AM, ShimmyCocoBop said:

Ole Gray - 

Did you get your LAB Broom yet, and if it's not too personal, how much was it?

@ShimmyCocoBop Sorry for the late reply.  I paid $586.17 for my Broom and it's worth every single penny!

Note - When I purchased it there was a discount available. In fact, there is another one available on November 22, 2023!

When I first ordered it I mistakenly ordered with the JumboMax 21 Round grip which initially felt ok. After a couple of rounds, I decided to go with the split grip. When I went to order the LAB split grip I was told they were out for individual orders and it would be a few weeks out before they had the grips ready for shipment.  Plus after doing a little research I found the cost of shipping was in the $40.00 range so I decided to go with a SuperStroke  Zenergy Tour 1.0 2-Piece Grip which I purchased off Amazon with free shipping. 

Picture of first arrival with JumboMax 21 Round Grip

FullLengthPic.jpeg.b7ed79b31a87b210fd7e6df527798192.jpeg

Now what it looks like with my SuperStroke Grip and by the way, the weight of the two grips was minimal and didn't affect the performance in the least.  In fact it feels much better to me now. 

FullPic2.jpeg.bd071b2f869cc16c52b2208de299afa7.jpeg

I sent a video to the LAB fitter of me using my old broomstick (you can use a fairway etc. if you don't currently have a broom) to get fit.  It worked at great!

Length: 45
Lie: 78

faceandcover.jpeg

Edited by ole gray

Cleveland

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I am about to buy my first broomstick putter, I have been looking at the L.A.B D.F 2.1 but can't decide on the LIE Angle. By my height 6'0 I've chosen the 46' but still waiting on a reply from L.A.B for the LIE Angle, which one would be the best choice for the lie angle?

Thanks!

Just an FYI for using the broomstick/long putter. There are 2 IMO major aspects to using it......First, make sure the top hand is holding the club firmly, regardless of what the lower hand grip may be. I've found that if the top hand is not really firm/strong on the grip, the club will rotate enough to either close or open the face at contact. Second, most folks have a tendency on medium to long putts to hit the putt instead of stroking it. The lower hand gets strong and either pushes or pulls. Correcting those aspects and the success rate goes up greatly............

Total Callaway bag - except putter

I just watched a video from Eric Corgano that was really interesting re: the broomstick. The theory is any other bar type sports that require touch are done with one hand; pool, darts, bowling, etc. It's worth a watch. 

Srixon Irons. Callaway woods. Vokey Wedges. ProV1x. Scotty 

2 hours ago, Breeman said:

I just watched a video from Eric Corgano that was really interesting re: the broomstick. The theory is any other bar type sports that require touch are done with one hand; pool, darts, bowling, etc. It's worth a watch. 

Yea, I saw that this morning too !  Good stuff.

Cleveland

1 hour ago, ole gray said:

Yea, I saw that this morning too !  Good stuff.

Interesting. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

Charl Schwartzel is tied for the lead in the Dunhill tournament this morning using a LAB Broom. 💣

Cleveland

I've got two broomhandles.

A Ping B90 and a Scotty Cameron Studio, (the one with the four coloured dots)

I loved them when I could play with them but now because of the anchoring ban, I only take them out in social games.

I got sick of people accusing me of breaking the ridiculous rules regarding anchoring, which I was innocent of as I'd learnt how to play without anchoring.  But there is a strong element still of ignorance.

It would have been far better if they had not changed the rules, which effectively made the putters obsolete.  I don't think they ever proved that broomhandles or bell putters were any better than conventional putters.  The statistics certainly didn't stand up.

They were a saviour for me at the time.  I had a bad back and if it weren't for the style of the putting stroke needed I would have had to have curtailed the length of my practice sessions.  The rules still allow disabled players to use them, but if you are an ageing less abled, but otherwise fit, its one rule for one and one rule for another.

When I spoke to a guy who is/was a member of the R&A Rules Committee about older less abled golfers and the fact that the effective ban would push these long standing players into the long grass, his exact response was "f**k 'em, we can do without them!".  I think most people would agree that is an appalling attitude. 

Will MGS be testing broomstick vs traditional? This is borderline fad territory with how popular it's getting but Sam from LAB really does seem to believe in it, although they cost more so I'm not sure if they profit more from these sales. 

The video with Eric about doing finesse type of things with one hand vs two actually makes a lot of sense to me. 

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

Tsi3 Ventus TR Blue

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

0211 ST 4-GW Axiom 125

Mizuno T22

Flat stick - who knows

On 12/8/2023 at 7:41 AM, ole gray said:

Charl Schwartzel is tied for the lead in the Dunhill tournament this morning using a LAB Broom. 💣

Ole Gray - 

How are you liking your new LAB Broom?  Any specs you can share?

Love it, adore it, treasure it, and slobber kisses on it during every round!

Mine is platinum at 45 length and 78 lie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cleveland

2 hours ago, ole gray said:

Love it, adore it, treasure it, and slobber kisses on it during every round! emoji7.pngemoji3590.png

Mine is platinum at 45 length and 78 lie.

Sorry, I meant - any statistics that you can share?  How has it improved your putting?

Sorry, I meant - any statistics that you can share?  How has it improved your putting?

I don”t have a shot tracker such ad Arccos etc. however I did keep track on my score card for three rounds.

I had 24, 26, and a high of 30 putts on those rounds. I had a zero three putts during the first two rounds and two in the third. Those two were from poor reads on super fast greens. Prior to going to the broom I was averaging five three putts per round with total putt counts in the mid 30s and up.

I’ll keep putting stats for this week’s three rounds although the weather may hamper play.

Cleveland

43 minutes ago, ShimmyCocoBop said:

Thanks!

Yout bet!  Are you considering a broomstick?

Cleveland

2 minutes ago, ole gray said:

Yout bet!  Are you considering a broomstick?

I've been using one since July, but now am thinking about a LAB Mezz like yours.

Did you fit yourself?

1 hour ago, ShimmyCocoBop said:
I've been using one since July, but now am thinking about a LAB Mezz like yours.
Did you fit yourself?

I did the video fitting which worked great for me

Edit to add I was using an old Odyssey Dual Force II Broom before the Mezz Max came on the scene and the difference between those two is night and day.  Better distance control and the the Mezz puts a much smoother roll on the ball which keeps it online. 

Edited by ole gray

Cleveland