TESTERS WANTED! ×

HZRDUS Smoke Black vs. RDX

Does anyone know if there's a major difference in these shafts? I looked on the Project X website and GolfWorks, and it looks like they have identical profiles (torque and launch) I see the RDX has some kind of aerospace carbon fiber in it. 

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

The rdx is the updated version of the smoke black which was an updated version of the original black. 

The feel in these shafts improved with each release. The rdx is 1g lighter which is basically nothing. One would need to see the EI profile to tell how what the differences are in the two version. When the original hzrdus line was designed they focused purely on performance and feel wasn’t taken into consideration. They focused on that in the smoke line and in my limited testing with then rdx version it’s been improved even more. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

@RickyBobby_PR thanks. don't know if you saw any of my other posts but I'm looking at the Sub70 Pro Driver and both versions of the Smoke Black are their stock offering. I swing a Diamana White in my current driver, so it seems like this shaft would actually work well for me. They are both low launch shafts, while the RDX has just a bit more torque 3.1 to 3.5. And it's a little lighter so there's some speed too. 

The other shaft option that is a $40 upcharge is the ProForce V2 Black. That's got 2.9 torque, but is a mid launch. Also a few grams lighter than my white. I like to hit the ball high, so that doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't balloon. I'm not considering the Fuji Ventus or any of the Graphite Design offerings, as a big reason for going to the Sub70 is to keep costs down.

Take Dead Aim

29 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

@RickyBobby_PR thanks. don't know if you saw any of my other posts but I'm looking at the Sub70 Pro Driver and both versions of the Smoke Black are their stock offering. I swing a Diamana White in my current driver, so it seems like this shaft would actually work well for me. They are both low launch shafts, while the RDX has just a bit more torque 3.1 to 3.5. And it's a little lighter so there's some speed too. 

The other shaft option that is a $40 upcharge is the ProForce V2 Black. That's got 2.9 torque, but is a mid launch. Also a few grams lighter than my white. I like to hit the ball high, so that doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't balloon. I'm not considering the Fuji Ventus or any of the Graphite Design offerings, as a big reason for going to the Sub70 is to keep costs down.

By Diamana white I’m assuming the Diamana white board.

Using torque, flex or the description of low launch/low spin to pick a shaft or even swing speed is fruitless. Torque like stiffness has no industry standard, it’s measured differently between brands and also in many cases different machines. Torque is more about feel than anything and two shafts with same torque but with different profiles even from the same manufacturer will feel different.  Shafts don’t spin so and launch is based on club delivery. Shafts can impact how one delivers the club because of feel, loading, etc

To be honest there’s not way to tell if either of the smoke versions will work for you. Based on my experience with the Diamana whiteboard compared to the smoke black I prefer the whiteboard. The black rdx is a nice improvement in feel but for me it doesn’t work with my swing and many others I know that swing 105+

You would need to find somewhere to demo the shafts to see what you think about them 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I thought the Smoke Black in a similar weight/flex was softer than the original Black. I liked the original and didn’t care for the smoke. I played the RDX in TX in several weights/clubs and found them to be more like the 6.5 flex in the original Black. 

But like everything else, you need to hit them to know if it will work for you. 

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

9 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

By Diamana white I’m assuming the Diamana white board.

Using torque, flex or the description of low launch/low spin to pick a shaft or even swing speed is fruitless. Torque like stiffness has no industry standard, it’s measured differently between brands and also in many cases different machines. Torque is more about feel than anything and two shafts with same torque but with different profiles even from the same manufacturer will feel different.  Shafts don’t spin so and launch is based on club delivery. Shafts can impact how one delivers the club because of feel, loading, etc

To be honest there’s not way to tell if either of the smoke versions will work for you. Based on my experience with the Diamana whiteboard compared to the smoke black I prefer the whiteboard. The black rdx is a nice improvement in feel but for me it doesn’t work with my swing and many others I know that swing 105+

You would need to find somewhere to demo the shafts to see what you think about them 

Yes, White Board 70X. I swing at 107, though I agree with you that figure will only help me get in the ball park for a shaft. I think the only place near me I could try shafts is Golf Galaxy, without having to pay for a fitting.

Take Dead Aim

48 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Yes, White Board 70X. I swing at 107, though I agree with you that figure will only help me get in the ball park for a shaft. I think the only place near me I could try shafts is Golf Galaxy, without having to pay for a fitting.

Good thing is the smoke rdx and smoke black were no upcharge offerings so they should be available at GG