Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

DQOTD: What Does Pulling Putts Indicate?

Middler

I am pretty good with my current putter get the ball started on line. Thinking I might like a Scotty, I tried a Flowback 5.5 and a Phantom X 5.5, and didn't like either AT ALL. Distance was fine but I pulled every single putt with both of them, even when I consciously tried not to? I tried out my own and few PINGs while at the store before the Scotty's and wasn't pulling any of them.

My gamer is a standard 34" Evnroll ER5B with a gravity grip (not skinny but not extremely large either). The two Scotty's were 35" (all they had in stock), with skinny old school "pistolero plus" grips, and both have just a little more toe hang (45º and 36.5º respectively) than my gamer (25º toe down). From what I gather the overall (head) weights are about the same, but hard to find specs. I hadn't experienced an old school skinny grip in many years, and found I absolutely hated it. Just curious if there's an obvious reason I'd pull one putter versus another - toe hang, length, weight, grip?

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

First thing would be to check your aim.  Good chance you are aimed left of your target line.  Your body could be set up left of your target.  Or your body could be square and your face aligned closed.

Just like full swing, you'd need to know your swing path and face angle as well.

You could be pulling the ball with a square face and out to in path, or you could be pulling the ball with a neutral path and a closed face at impact.

Those are your starting points.  Once you figure out the reason you are pulling ball, then you play with the variables you mentioned (to hand, length, weight, alignment markings) to fix the problem.

I would say the extra toe hand and the smaller grip are the likely culprits. I was experimenting with lead tape on my putter and after adding weight to the toe I was consistantly pulling every putt. The smaller grip would likely allow you to turn your hands over quicker than the larger grip you are use to.

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 5 & 6 Hybrids

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 7-AW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

40 minutes ago, Middler said:

Just curious if there's an obvious reason I'd pull one putter versus another - toe hang, length, weight, grip?

No obvious reason and there could be many reason why the face is pointed left at impact.  This is why we should get fitted for putters or at least try them prior to buying; just because it says Cameron doesn’t mean it works any better.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, Middler said:

I am pretty good with my current putter get the ball started on line. Thinking I might like a Scotty, I tried a Flowback 5.5 and a Phantom X 5.5, and didn't like either AT ALL. Distance was fine but I pulled every single putt with both of them, even when I consciously tried not to? I tried out my own and few PINGs while at the store before the Scotty's and wasn't pulling any of them.

My gamer is a standard 34" Evnroll ER5B with a gravity grip (not skinny but not extremely large either). The two Scotty's were 35" (all they had in stock), with skinny old school "pistolero plus" grips, and both have just a little more toe hang (45º and 36.5º respectively) than my gamer (25º toe down). From what I gather the overall (head) weights are about the same, but hard to find specs. I hadn't experienced an old school skinny grip in many years, and found I absolutely hated it. Just curious if there's an obvious reason I'd pull one putter versus another - toe hang, length, weight, grip?

Also to note I thought the Scotty 5.5 was going to be my long term putter.  Bought it last year and sold it within a month.  The balance of the putter just felt off for me

6 hours ago, jlukes said:

Also to note I thought the Scotty 5.5 was going to be my long term putter.  Bought it last year and sold it within a month.  The balance of the putter just felt off for me

I was shocked at my impression of both Scotty’s, even aside from the pull. I was looking for one to try for weeks, and when I finally found them, I didn’t like either one at all - but it may have mostly been the old school pistol grip, HATED that.

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

1 hour ago, Middler said:

I was shocked at my impression of both Scotty’s, even aside from the pull. I was looking for one to try for weeks, and when I finally found them, I didn’t like either one at all - but it have mostly been the old school pistol grip, HATED that.

Oh yeah I hated the stock grip. Tried 3 different grips before selling it. 

1 hour ago, Middler said:

I was shocked at my impression of both Scotty’s, even aside from the pull. I was looking for one to try for weeks, and when I finally found them, I didn’t like either one at all - but it have mostly been the old school pistol grip, HATED that.

Was the neck design of the Scotties same your Envroll and Pings you tried ?  

I tend to close the face with plumbers neck compared to single bend /slant neck look with the same head design 

27 minutes ago, Haro said:

Was the neck design of the Scotties same your Envroll and Pings you tried ?  

I tend to close the face with plumbers neck compared to single bend /slant neck look with the same head design 

No, all three are short slant necks. I can’t look at a plumbers neck, much less putt with one…I realize many people like them.

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

I've seen articles that pistol grip and smaller diameter grips encourage more use of the hands and rotating the putter face closed which is 1 option. The extra toe hang may have caused you to react by closing the putter more aggressively and you couldn't time it compared to your EVNROLL. The gravity grip is 40-60g heavier than the other grip which is going to change the swing weight and total weight of the putters if the head weight is the same. Likely a combination of all these factors. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

I would suggest, left wrist break down, over releasing the putter.  It is my main source of a pull.

Callaway Apex Pro 21 (5-AW)

Callaway Mavrik Driver

Cobra Speed Zone

Callaway Mavrik 5 Wood

Cleveland RTX zipcore sand wedge

Odyssey Rossie White Hot OG Putter 

Possibly different lie angles of the putters?  Made a difference for me during my putter fitting a couple years ago.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

• 2 weeks later...