TESTERS WANTED! ×

Wedge shaft question

Tincup_19

At the end of last season I got fit for new irons and ended up being put into Mizuno JPX 921 Forged with Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts. I have a 52, 56, 60 wedge setup in my bag and they all have the stock shafts which are Dynamic Gold S200's. I was thinking about having the wedges re-shafted with the Modus 120 Stiff going slightly softer than my iron shafts. Can anyone give me any insight if this would be a good idea and what the pro's and con's might be? 

Thanks. 

7 minutes ago, Tincup_19 said:

At the end of last season I got fit for new irons and ended up being put into Mizuno JPX 921 Forged with Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts. I have a 52, 56, 60 wedge setup in my bag and they all have the stock shafts which are Dynamic Gold S200's. I was thinking about having the wedges re-shafted with the Modus 120 Stiff going slightly softer than my iron shafts. Can anyone give me any insight if this would be a good idea and what the pro's and con's might be? 

Thanks. 

Lots of opinions on this.  How do you use your wedges?  
if you take full swings, general advice is match the iron shafts.

if you only do partial swings, general advice is heavier and softer tip or softer flex.  

The best option is to do a wedge fitting and see what works for you. 

Pros and cons to this are you hit shots better or you hit shots worse as club setup is unique to each individual.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I’ll echo the above statement. If you hit full shots especially with a gap wedge a lot of times people will keep same shaft from irons. I’ve found success having the same shaft or if I am playing dynamic gold x100 or x7 to have s400. It’s slightly softer to flex but heavier. When I played project x 6.5, i kept the same shaft through the entire irons and wedges. Some keep the same shaft and soft step it. As stated above, wedge fitting is best but general statement would be to find similar profile to irons and maybe even keeping modus 120x but soft stepped. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 4-5 P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50.10F, 54.10S - X100 & 58.04T S400

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

53 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Lots of opinions on this.  How do you use your wedges?  
if you take full swings, general advice is match the iron shafts.

if you only do partial swings, general advice is heavier and softer tip or softer flex.  

The best option is to do a wedge fitting and see what works for you. 

Pros and cons to this are you hit shots better or you hit shots worse as club setup is unique to each individual.  

I would say i do hit some full shots with the 52 but typically with the 56 and 60 i'm never full swinging those wedges. 

11 minutes ago, LeftyMatt89 said:

I’ll echo the above statement. If you hit full shots especially with a gap wedge a lot of times people will keep same shaft from irons. I’ve found success having the same shaft or if I am playing dynamic gold x100 or x7 to have s400. It’s slightly softer to flex but heavier. When I played project x 6.5, i kept the same shaft through the entire irons and wedges. Some keep the same shaft and soft step it. As stated above, wedge fitting is best but general statement would be to find similar profile to irons and maybe even keeping modus 120x but soft stepped. 

I hit full shots sometimes with the 52 but not the 56 or 60. Are you saying it might be a good idea to put the the 120x in the 52 and then 120 Stiff in the 56/60? Obviously fitting would be ideal but I'm on the shores of lake superior where the nearest fitting is a few hours away. 

1 minute ago, Tincup_19 said:

I hit full shots sometimes with the 52 but not the 56 or 60. Are you saying it might be a good idea to put the the 120x in the 52 and then 120 Stiff in the 56/60? Obviously fitting would be ideal but I'm on the shores of lake superior where the nearest fitting is a few hours away. 

Yep.  Since you full swing the 52 matching irons shafts might be a good idea and the softer flex in the others. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

44 minutes ago, Tincup_19 said:

I’d say 120x in 52 and then a soft stepped 120x in the 56/60. I believe it would e using the 8 iron shaft. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 4-5 P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50.10F, 54.10S - X100 & 58.04T S400

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

I have the same JPX921 Forged except with Modus Tour 105 Stiff; and run the same shafts in my Vokey wedges. I really like the consistency of this arrangement and will run the same shafts in my irons and wedges until further notice. 

Edited by Dog Faced Pony Soldier

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 w/ LA Golf DJ Signature Series (65-4)

3w: :srixon-small: ZX MKII w/ Graphite Design AD DI-7 XS

5w: :srixon-small: ZX MKII w/ Graphite Design AD DI-7 XS

7w: :srixon-small: ZX MKII w/ Graphite Design AD DI-7 XS

4i-GW: :mizuno-small: JPX921 Forged w/ Nippon Modus Tour 105 S

54º: :vokey-small: SM9 D Grind w/ Nippon Modus Tour 105 S

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5vB w/ LA Golf P-Series SOHO 

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x  play #45

Ball mark: Kraken Golf - Revolver, Weight Plate, Turntable

Tracked and scored by :Arccos: 

I got fit into P790’s 3-G (which is another topic) a few years ago and carry MG 55° & 60°. I opted to play the same shaft throughout DG120 x100 and same shaft lengths in G, 55° & 60°. I tend to play to 100-110 yards which is a stock 55° and I love the consistency of feel on the full swing. Also, I realy enjoy the stability on partial wedge shots. It did take me half a season or so to get use to the feel of the wedges around the green for short chips/pitches but now I don’t know if I’ll ever go back. 

I have thought about going softer in the 60° when I replace my wedges as this is a specialty club in my bag that has never been full swung with a square face. But then I’ll have different feels when choosing between 55° & 60° around the green.

It’s all about your feels and this setup feels right to me.