TESTERS WANTED! ×

Stealth

revkev

Really pounded it on the range yesterday afternoon - My average carry was 221 vs. 215 a couple of weeks ago with the SIM 2.  My average clubhead speed was was 94 both sessions, ball speed was 2 mph faster with the stealth, launch angle an almost identical 13.9.  

On another note one of our pros came over and gave me a brief lesson on part wedges (I have been struggling with them and he saw me flailing away).  I hit one drive after that applying something he told me with the wedges and my swing speed was 99 mph with that one - and I was tired at that point - carry distance was over 230 - that wasn't in the mix on the 221 average. 🙂

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Progress?

Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 2.54.06 PM.png

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2022 at 2:55 PM, Middler said:

Progress?

Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 2.54.06 PM.png

Interesting - I have an M1 and tried a similar test - M1 v. Stealth - my ball speeds with the Stealth were 6 to 7 MPH faster than the M1 - they are 2-3 MPH than the SIM2  - anything and everything is possible, we all know that - it's entirely possible that a particular player or swing type might do better with a driver that's 10 year's old than a current model.

Also, the advantage of newer drivers is going to come from off center hits and not a series of perfect ones.  No one has ever accused the M series of drivers of being forgiving.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 1 month later...

I realize that we have a couple of "Stealth" threads out there. To revisit this one I have been driving the ball very well this spring.  My driving distance has increased from 219 to 224 acc62 ording to shot scope - Remember that's not a straight comparison - both numbers include data from the SIM2 in them so the yardage increase is greater.  Also the 219 included a 310 yard drive - legitimately but it hit a cart path that crosses the fairway on a hole at the course we were playing - 

I've also increased my fairways hit to 71 % up from 63%.  Misses are almost always left now.  That makes my life much easier - knowing where a miss might be.

My buddy who was visiting this weekend has ordered his Stealth.

In terms of any issues with the face I dropped mine as I was pulling it from my bag and it hit the cart path on the crown - just a slight chipping of the paint, no ding, no cave in - the driver is fine.  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

• 9 months later...
On 2/27/2022 at 12:28 AM, revkev said:

Stealth   An unofficial review by the Rev.

As many of you may know I recently went for a Taylor Made driver fitting held at my club.  During the metal wood era I have gamed drivers by TMag, Titleist, Ping, Mizuno, Adams, TMag, Ping, TMag, Ping, TMag.   At 65 with a single digit handicap, a moderate driver swing speed of 95 mph and a positive AoA of 2 degrees up, I pretty much know what OEMs design theories work for my swing.  I will occasional try drivers from other OEMs as opportunity presents but I can pretty much book it that either Ping or TMag will work best for me with Ping being the more forgiving and TMag being the longer of the two.  Last year I caved in and went with distance, trading in my G410 for a SIM2 that I was fit for at the same fitting day.  

I had been using an autoflex 505 shaft in my SIM2 and when I hit it well, I hit it well, significantly longer than my recent drivers and also than with the Ventus shaft in.  However it would also produce some crazy bad shots, pull hooks or blocks, at exactly the right time to spoil a round.  The fitter explained that it was because the kick point was wrong for me.  Additionally many of my drives were launching too high with too much spin.  After some experimentation, we settled on the10.5 degree Stealth with an Aldila Ascent 60 R flex in it.  This shaft is 10 grams heavier than what I had prior - we also tried S flex as my SS is a tweener.  I was concerned that the combination of a heavier and stiffer shaft might not play well at the end of rounds in the hot Florida summer.  My fitter agreed.  We had a long discussion about shaft length.  I am often fit for 45" but I have had fitters tell me I could use longer as I do have a very repeatable swing.  This fitters advice was to order the driver at its stock of 45.75 and grip down if I wanted to play it shorter.  

The average launch was down a degree to 14 and spin rate down 500 RPMs to 2,800.  On paper I was carrying the ball the same distance but getting much more roll out and certainly a flight that will be more stable in Florida's swirling late winter/spring winds.  Since they were offering a special price - 10 percent over my pro's cost or a bit over $100 off the sticker price, I went ahead and ordered a new driver without trading my SIM2 in.  I will sell the autoflex shaft to pay for the driver and if for some reason it doesn't work out should easily be able to recoup the cost of the driver by selling it slightly used.

IMG_0925.jpg.6c10e219691901ccb7bf307fdecc35db.jpgIMG_0927.jpg.9688260aab8b8cf0bbe3aa78af3e9600.jpg

My driver arrived after about a three week wait - much better than what we were experiencing last season.  While I've pictured it in my trunk, I opened it up there, kept the box and headed to the range, rapsodo and SIM2 also in hand. 

IMG_0929.jpg.58e510bbe9dbe5c4d369461323058809.jpg 

First Impressions

The Carbonwood face has a unique look to it, almost as if there is still a protective coating on the face that needs to be taken off.  It's got a solid feel and nice report when you hit shots with it.  The heavier shaft makes the club feel heavier overall to me.  Whether its true or not the club face presents as a bit closed at address, I'm not crazy about that but can live with it, many of my Ping drivers have been that way and I've gotten used to them. I did have trouble discerning my misses.  One of the things that I like about the SIM2 is that my ball speed and distance stay up on misses low on the club face and yet I'm able to feel when and where I miss.  Hopefully I will develop that same sense of feel with the Stealth

While I had a nice uptic in ball speeds over the SIM2 in my fitting I did not see that same result in my first range session.  However, I have a different shaft in the SIM 2 and my ball speeds were very good across the board on a beautiful 85 degree afternoon.  My personal LM does not give spin rates so it's very hard to compare distance head to head.  Carry distances, launch and consistency were similar.  Hopefully the course is not overly crowded tomorrow and I will be able to hit a couple of head to head drives with it to see if if I get the greater run out that trackman was promising.  

One last thing before I leave you - I have not liked Taylor Made's strategy of changing names.  IMO they have hurt themselves in the ball category with all the changes.  I get that these changes often represent a radical departure in regards to technology but still it gets confusing to the consumer.  Also confusing this time around is that the Max was the right head for a player like me in the SIM2 where as the Plus now becomes the lower spin offering in the Stealth.  I could see someone going to buy off the rack making a mistake and getting off on the wrong foot because of it.

Let me know if you have any questions.  I will try to do a full review towards the end of March.  That should give me enough time to put this club through it's paces.

Playing flappy bird is hard, particularly if you want a good score. Expect to struggle to get 10 points, much alone 100. Then, what is the highest flappy bird level?

It usually takes me about a month to get acclimated to a new driver, so thank you very much and please accept my thanks. I will write a comprehensive evaluation of the Stealth at the beginning of April. By that time, I should have a pretty good understanding of how to use it. As of right now, the launch and ball flight are making me think of the Ping 400 LST; from my point of view, this would be a really positive development.

famous game site flappy bird