Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5 review (not the 5.5)

Taserface

I thought I would post my experience with my Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.

I have noticed there is hardly any real reviews of this putter anywhere.

I bought this over a year ago trying to put it into my bag, before purchase I compared it head-to-head with the X 5.5, as well as the JT version.

I have been gaming several Newport and Newport two style putters, I am very good par saves and making birdies with those from about 8-12 feet.

However my lag putting seems to be abysmal with the small blades, the longer stroke on 20 to 50 foot putts simply misses the sweet spot, and as we all know you are punished severely when you miss the sweet spot. I had several three putts that finally forced me to say I have to now move to a mallet, I need more MOI.

I bought a white hot Rossi and Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.

The toe hang on the 5.5 was a little too strong, leading to over rotating the toe and pulling putts. 

I put Winn ProX 1.32 grip on almost all of my putters, I have gone to left hand low for the last three years to stop left wrist break down, successfully.

I have created somewhat of a putter lab with my big moss putting surface fantastic practice surface (by the way) extremely pure roll.

Perfect lines perfect aiming points to determine why the putt missed, stroke? Contact? Pushed or pulled misalignment it is critical to evaluate why you missed the putt when comparing putters and developing technique.

I consistently was pushing slightly, then slight pulling with the X5, it is the 34 inch model with the 15 g weights. Army golf left right left right. The Rossie was the lead gamer extremely consistent, but the contact and feel feel of the Scotty Cameron is so so good, I wanted to figure out how to hit it properly, I finally hit upon it last week I have got it dialed in.

I refurbished a few fundamentals of my stroke to get it to work, I moved the ball back in my stance.... Left eye looking down at the front edge of the ball just slightly behind my left eye, essentially the ball right under my nose, I also started choking down about 1 to 1 1/2 inches on the putter grip. 

And finally I bought some 20 g weights, took out the 15 g weights measured the swing weight at D9 so choking down on it about 1 inch probably plays like D7. Feels amazing, which allowed me to lighten my grip pressure. I just made 50.....12 foot putts in a row  on the big moss.

Total weight of the putter is 560g the weight online says with 20 g weights the putter head is 370 g. I drew a red line on the back so the putter looks very similar to a Newport I can see the Newport frame when I look down at the ball.

I am starting to feel what Patrick Cantley is feeling,  the putter is just swinging so smoothly into the back of the ball. If I do miss the sweet spot the ball is just not losing any energy my lag putting is doing so much better super happy this is now going to be the gamer. Contact feels the same almost no matter how I hit it. Took me a while to dial it in as well as lots of practice with reducing grip pressure and taking the right hand out of the swing.

I have actually been using Jack Nicholas's swing thought... Swing the putter like you are swinging a thick piece of rope. The left hand low allows me to tilt my shoulders rock up and down slightly, which stops the left wrist from breaking down. I.e. making that wristy stroke.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/j2KUaIc.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/QOsAWoT.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/wvZZFl7.jpg[/img]

Cheers

50 putts center cut a.jpg

50 putts center cut b.jpg

50 putts center cut.jpg

Edited by Taserface
attach photos

Callaway Apex Pro 21 (5-AW)

Callaway Mavrik Driver

Cobra Speed Zone

Callaway Mavrik 5 Wood

Cleveland RTX zipcore sand wedge

Odyssey Rossie White Hot OG Putter 

Awesome write up! I love that head shape. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 4-5 P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50.10F, 54.10S - X100 & 58.04T S400

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

• 4 weeks later...