TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golfing with Glasses- Never wore them before..

Reesedw

I got glasses for the first time in Nov. They are progressives, if anyone doesn't know they have areas on both sides of the focal area that do not focus. Well my issues are simple. When I look down the ball is not close enough for the close vision, and just far enough away that my distance focus is not where I normally would look.. Also when i turn my head i'm looking through the our of focus area of the glasses. I either have to tilt my head down or pull my glasses down to get the ball in the correct focal plane.. I noticed I was hitting either fat or thin trying to correct my contact point based on what I see.. Has anyone else ever had these issues, how did you adjust?? do I need to now adjust my head to a unnatural position.. Bonus on driver shots the ball is far enough away and that its clear.. LOL, i did poke one about 310yds Sat when i played.. but really need advice on adjusting to the glasses.. Getting older sucks.. Thanks

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

It took me a little bit to adjust to progressives, and I can still occasionally have issues tracking the ball in the air. 

Different types of progressive lenses have different distortion zones which can make things worse, which might be compounding your issues unfortunately. It might also be that your eyes/brain just needs a little more time to adjust to the rapid changes in zones from looking down at address to trying to follow the ball in the air.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

57 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

It took me a little bit to adjust to progressives, and I can still occasionally have issues tracking the ball in the air. 

Different types of progressive lenses have different distortion zones which can make things worse, which might be compounding your issues unfortunately. It might also be that your eyes/brain just needs a little more time to adjust to the rapid changes in zones from looking down at address to trying to follow the ball in the air.

Thanks, following the ball in the air is not an issue.. its just when the ball is on the ground or tee. it is just outside of my normal focal plane causing  it to be out of focus which is causing a minor depth perception issue.. If I tilt my head down a lot I can then see clearly out of the top of my glasses but my chin is way down which is uncomfortable.. I'm guessing this is something I'll have to adjust to. But I don't want to I want to see normally.. LOL

Dave-

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

1 hour ago, Reesedw said:

I got glasses for the first time in Nov. They are progressives, if anyone doesn't know they have areas on both sides of the focal area that do not focus. Well my issues are simple. When I look down the ball is not close enough for the close vision, and just far enough away that my distance focus is not where I normally would look.. Also when i turn my head i'm looking through the our of focus area of the glasses. I either have to tilt my head down or pull my glasses down to get the ball in the correct focal plane.. I noticed I was hitting either fat or thin trying to correct my contact point based on what I see.. Has anyone else ever had these issues, how did you adjust?? do I need to now adjust my head to a unnatural position.. Bonus on driver shots the ball is far enough away and that its clear.. LOL, i did poke one about 310yds Sat when i played.. but really need advice on adjusting to the glasses.. Getting older sucks.. Thanks

... I went through the same thing this past summer getting glasses for the first time at 68. Progressives were a disaster for me for the reasons you mentioned and kinda made me dizzy. Keep in mind I had never worn glasses so that is certainly a factor. Regular lenses were great for everything but looking down at the ball and putting so I won't wear glasses on the course until I absolutely have to. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

1 hour ago, Reesedw said:

I got glasses for the first time in Nov. They are progressives, i

Stick with it.  If you have never worn glasses before then it is quite an adjustment.  I have worn distance correction glasses since I was 12.   Even for me when I got progressive bi-focals, that feeling of looking down and the ground looking like it was farther away than you know it is persisted for some time, and if you never wore glasses before it may take some time before your eyes settle into things appearing normal.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

1 minute ago, stuka44 said:

If you have never worn glasses before then it is quite an adjustment. 

... Haha when I am going shopping I wear my progressive lenses but keep forgetting when driving and drinking water tilting my head up and everything goes blurry. 🤪

Stick with it, you'll get used to  moving your head and eyes, in combination to get the best view. My eyes are very bad.    Its been a while but try not to make too drastic of changes.  Your eyes will need to adjust to not trying to compensate for the blurriness.   It should  take just a little head adjustment to look through the lower part of the lenses to see the ball clearly at the 5-6 feet.  The vertigo effect of it looking like the ground is 12 feet away should subside.

53 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Haha when I am going shopping I wear my progressive lenses but keep forgetting when driving and drinking water tilting my head up and everything goes blurry. 🤪

Yes, I noticed that looking out at the side mirror when driving It still is blurry.. and drinking while driving ( no not that kind of drinking) everything gets blurry.. Generally I am used to them, still adjusting on a few things, but I can see way better.. SO far the rifle scope while hunting and shooting, and golfing are the only times where i am having issues.. 

Thanks, I'm glad that its not just me.. This is one of the reasons I love this sight, no judgment, and everyone is willing to help even non-golf related issues. 

Dave-

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Funny to talk about eyes today - my eyes are still partially dilated from an appointment this morning. My doctor is a golfer, and we've talked quite a bit about bifocals and golf. When I first got progressive lenses I could play just fine. Now, 20 odd years later, I can't. (I'm 62.) He tells me a lot of people never can, almost no one over 60 can. I now use my cycling glasses, which are single vision. I have two pairs, one is a dark tint (I'm light sensitive), the other is a Transitions lens. The larger-than-normal lens really helps for me. The downside is you need really high quality lenses, which are quite expensive, or there's a lot of distortion on the sides. 

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

3 hours ago, Pandaman said:

You will get more used to it, but I find the distorted view through my varifocals distracting at times, and green reading got harder too.

I now have a second pair of 'distance only' specs that I wear for golf, it avoids the sudden change of focus as you move your head.

That is EXACTLY what I have been doing for more than 10 years.  I keep a pair of eyeglasses with my distance-only prescription in my golf bag at all times and wear them for playing golf (sometimes, I will drive my car wearing those glasses, too).  Only once that I can remember did I forget to change into those distance-only glasses (I played nine holes while wearing my progressive lenses).  I played poorly and hit lots of “fat” shots that day.

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

This is certainly a dilemma - I've had glasses nearly my entire life.  I don't ever recall golfing without them.  I went to progressives in my mid 40's.  I remember that it was really tough at first - ironically for me the issue was 3 wood on a tee - at any rate I got used to it in about a month and have never looked back.  Currently I'm having some issues tracking drives but that's entirely different.  It was better when I played yesterday - thankfully.

Some people adjust others don't - it seems as if the ones who don't go with a set of single lensed glasses for golf - rather than the progressives.

Good luck!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

My new glasses script for distance vision really screwed up my golf game.  They were now strong enough to throw off my vision when addressing the ball.  I tried for a couple months but could never get used to the depth perception being off and hit lots of chunky shots.  I ditched the for golf and only wear the glasses when driving.  The issue i have when golfing is I lose the ball in the sky all the time when trying to track the flight.  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

I have bifocals but I use a pair of prescription sunglasses on the golf course that correct for far vision only. I keep a pair of reading glasses in the cart in case I need to see something small. I tried progressive lens but couldn’t get used to them.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

Ok I have one more thought on this.  I think some of the difficulty may be just how bad or not so bad, peoples eyes are.  My eyes are VERY BAD.   I wear contacts also.  If I wear distance only contacts, I literally can not make out my watch, or see my phone to send a text.  Distance only glasses are the same.  If I want to see my watch without progressives, I must look around, under, or over my glasses to make out my watch/phone. 

My wife who just now in her (50's) needed a little distance correction, her correction is under 1.50,   my distance correction is 4.5, anyone who has worn glasses knows how bad that is,  could not get used to the progressives they tried to give her. But she can function at a good distance without any correction. So I'm wondering if some who have commented about having trouble getting used to them are only slight correction people.  Because I simply can not function without progressives,  and squatting down to try and line up a putt without progressives, the ball would be a completely blurry blob, and I would not in any way be able to see the putting line on the ball , without taking my glasses off and doing it, same would go for filling out the scorecard.  I just find this interesting? 

2 hours ago, stuka44 said:

So I'm wondering if some who have commented about having trouble getting used to them are only slight correction people.  Because I simply can not function without progressives,  and squatting down to try and line up a putt without progressives, the ball would be a completely blurry blob, and I would not in any way be able to see the putting line on the ball , without taking my glasses off and doing it, same would go for filling out the scorecard. 

... Good point! Mine are a minor correction and I can easily play golf without my glasses seeing the pin and following the ball onto the green from 200 yds, they just bring things into a sharper focus. I have been using readers for a good 15 years so I can't see something right in front of my face, but writing on a scorecard held on my cart is far enough away I can handle that easily too. 

I played in glasses for 10+ years and then got LASIK. Biggest difference I found was my distance perception changed. I found without glasses I thought I was further away. 

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

On 2/28/2022 at 1:26 PM, Siamese Moose said:

Funny to talk about eyes today - my eyes are still partially dilated from an appointment this morning. My doctor is a golfer, and we've talked quite a bit about bifocals and golf. When I first got progressive lenses I could play just fine. Now, 20 odd years later, I can't. (I'm 62.) He tells me a lot of people never can, almost no one over 60 can. I now use my cycling glasses, which are single vision. I have two pairs, one is a dark tint (I'm light sensitive), the other is a Transitions lens. The larger-than-normal lens really helps for me. The downside is you need really high quality lenses, which are quite expensive, or there's a lot of distortion on the sides. 

My eye doctor stated the same thing, I went with single vision lenses instead of progressives and no issues at all when golfing. He did state they make special glasses with very small bifocals that some golfers fine useful for keeping score but didn't go there. The lenses are photochromatic (darken depending on the light conditions), very pleased with them.

13 hours ago, AzRoger said:

My eye doctor stated the same thing, I went with single vision lenses instead of progressives and no issues at all when golfing. He did state they make special glasses with very small bifocals that some golfers fine useful for keeping score but didn't go there. The lenses are photochromatic (darken depending on the light conditions), very pleased with them.

The small bifocal is available on the lenses I use, but it adds about $150. The way my eyes are right now, it's easy to peer under the lenses to read or mark the scorecard (or see my cycling computer). I wouldn't do that for long time periods, but for a short glance it works well.

Moose, my cat, is Siamese