Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Dropping iron shaft weight/flex - adjustment time

hartrick11

For people who have dropped in weight and/or flex in an iron set, how long has it generally taken you to get used to the new setup?

In a recent fitting I was fit into 120g stiff ($ taper) shafts compared to 130g x flex (also $ taper) 3 years ago with no change in swing speed over that time (sit around 91-92mph with 7i, top out at 95 with a quick transition so it is generally right on the stiff/x-stiff border but my prior preference and the prior fitting results had been for X given the transition). We tested a bunch of shafts and the results were consistently better in the 120g range than 130g, even across multiple shaft profiles, which was interesting and gave me the confidence to go with the fitter's recommendation. That said, when I took the new irons to the range for the first time the difference in feel and performance was significant, with left-right dispersion being pretty bad. Since the fitting was really comprehensive I think this is just an in between the ears adjustment more than anything, but curious to hear from others who have dealt with that type of shift before - how long did it take you to start feeling confident with the new sticks, or conversely how long did you wait before going back to the prior setup? 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

• 2 weeks later...

While nobody has answered yet, the answer for me was about 3 range sessions and 9 holes on the course lol! 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

On 2/28/2022 at 1:38 PM, hartrick11 said:

For people who have dropped in weight and/or flex in an iron set, how long has it generally taken you to get used to the new setup?

In a recent fitting I was fit into 120g stiff ($ taper) shafts compared to 130g x flex (also $ taper) 3 years ago with no change in swing speed over that time (sit around 91-92mph with 7i, top out at 95 with a quick transition so it is generally right on the stiff/x-stiff border but my prior preference and the prior fitting results had been for X given the transition). We tested a bunch of shafts and the results were consistently better in the 120g range than 130g, even across multiple shaft profiles, which was interesting and gave me the confidence to go with the fitter's recommendation. That said, when I took the new irons to the range for the first time the difference in feel and performance was significant, with left-right dispersion being pretty bad. Since the fitting was really comprehensive I think this is just an in between the ears adjustment more than anything, but curious to hear from others who have dealt with that type of shift before - how long did it take you to start feeling confident with the new sticks, or conversely how long did you wait before going back to the prior setup? 

I am wondering about the same thing. I went from a heavier regular iron shaft to a lighter senior shaft. My shots are very inconsistent making me wonder of this was a big mistake or if it will take more time. One thing I realized, the standard length shaft I demo'd is different than the +1/2 inch shaft I bought - adding even more flex. 

Edited by NC Golfer

In the last 6 years or so I’ve had modus 120s twice, PX 6.0, DG AMT White S300, Recoil 110 twice. I have tested modus 105S, DG 105 S300, DG 120 S300, recoil 95, KBS $ Taper and KBS Tour.

The type of clubs they have been in have been more players type irons either a CB, mix of CB and blade or players distance. I don’t really have any issues moving between them.

Only “adjustment” period I need it to figure out distances of the new clubs and that’s usually no more than the first range session, if I bought blind, which doesn’t happen often with irons for me.

Ive never come out of a fitting needing to get used to irons. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I realize I'm late to the party here now since you've since settled in, but I don't think you should really need any sort of adjustment period after a fit (besides getting used to the gapping).  Ideally your dispersion should be better as a result of a good fit.

Sounds like you just needed some time swinging them since they were a new set, and as you said "between the ears" and less because of the change in shaft weight.  

with my last set I actually went up in weight.  Looking back it probably took me a few range sessions before I was hitting consistently crisp shots.  One thing to note is that those were my second choice of shaft, so not a perfect fit.  I then picked up the original ones I wanted (which are 5 grams lighter) and did not need any adjustment time, but that's a much smaller change than the 12-15g I had added in weight in the first place.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

I'm an older mid HI player so probably not applicable to the OP, but I went from steel TT XP105's to graphite Recoil 95's on all my irons with almost no adjustment. Never looked back. Only change that happened to me was less joint pain...🙂

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

On 2/28/2022 at 11:38 AM, hartrick11 said:

... Sounds like you have made the adjustment so good for you! Everyone is different and some adjust in a few swings and other take a lot more time while some never adjust and go back to what worked before. In your case you are dropping 10gm and dropping down a flex. Changing just one aspect like weight OR flex would not be as big an adjustment and depending on your swing and how these fit you, changing 2 things can be a pretty big difference. The better your swing and more consistent you are with your irons, the more you "may" fight a change. It is not uncommon for consistent ball strikers to almost immediately change their swing to get their desired trajectory and distance when making a change. It is why good fitters take a shaft away after 2 or 3 swings  if it isn't producing the results they are looking for. I just went through this with a driver fitting where I was booked for 1/2 hr but my fitter kept me for a full hour really fine tuning my set up. Usually 2 swings was enough for him to take back a shaft because I was swinging a little harder or changing my AOA to get the bal in my desired window. 

... But back to actually having new shafts and playing them, if you are happy with trajectory and distance the change should not take long and the advice would be sticking with it unless the results are just disastrous and the feel is not what you prefer. It also depends on how long you have played a specific weight and flex and/or how many swings as some practice a ton and others more or less just play. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

• 4 weeks later...

It took me around 300 balls myself to get reajusted with lighter shaft. PLayed heavier stiff shaft from wilson staff set then got fitted for elevate 95 stiff, At first felt weird, now seems natural. When I sent my ping g425 to change the lie at ping at the beginning of the season, went back to my wilson staff and coudlnt never adjust back to heavier shaft... I am already considering graphite shaft for the future and probably, the VERY NEAR future. Less pain when I hit the ball, lighter means more club head speed generally. Also, I dont hit the ball that high so graphite shaft give generally more spin and height

P.S. I'm under 45 years old, swing driver at around 102 mph.