How often do you purchase new wedges/do they really change year/year?

Jon Diamond

hey all! I am looking to potentially upgrade my wedges. I play the Callaway Mack Daddy CB's and I am wanting to know how often you switch out your wedges? 

Everyone is different so I thought i'd open up the chat! 

• Like 2

I play them for years. Also, I have a MD CB 56 degree and think I made a mistake not getting the CBX2. The MD CB's are ok for chipping. But, lack feel for any kind of full swing.

• Like 1

I don't change them out, I love what I have. I did buy a regrooving tool, on the recommendation of my instructor. Yes, it might make your club marginally non-conforming, but if you're not playing tournaments, who cares? My teacher, a good local senior, has two of his favorite wedges (Callaway Mack Daddy PM grind). He keeps one in pristine shape for tournaments only, and uses the other the rest of the time, regrooving a couple times a year.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

Switch every two years. Studies show after 75 rounds they start degrading in performance 

• Like 5

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Rarely - I'm not a high spin player - I have wedges that are very old but that it also contrary to prevailing thought.  If I'm hitting them inside of 25 feet consistently though it trumps the shanks, chunks and blades that I get while trying to change to something else that would spin more whenever I get around to feeling confident with it. 

I think you should look at changing them every two or three years not because of technology upgrades but wear and tear wise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Taylor Made Stealth 10.5  Aldila Ascent Red R flex

Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 5-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Still on that elusive hunt for a 3 wood that I'm able to hit - I don't know why, I crush the 5 wood and it's really a 4 wood anyway. 

I'm playing the Callaway '19 PM Grind 54 and 60.  My 60 is getting worn from a lot of bunker shots over the past couple of years, but I doubt I will change.  The grooves are obviously not as sharp as there were new, but I don't make full swings with them and I am not a spin player.  I did buy a new 60 as a backup, but I would have to swap out the shafts.  Maybe one of these days, but I look at the missing chrome on the sole as a badge of honor.

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I still have the Cleveland CBX wedges in my bag BUT I also only play 25-30 rounds max per year, and some of those are 9 holes only. So I don't put as much wear on them as some other golfers do. As a result I tend to change them out less. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:callaway-small: Mavrik Max 10.5* R Flex Evenflow RipTide
:cleveland-small: Hy-Wood
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact

My 56 and 60 probably ever 1.5 years. I play about 75-100 rounds a year so they get some use. My 50 maybe every 2ndd or 3rd year. 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST 9 💎💎💎 Ventus Black 6TX 

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Driving Iron: New Level NLU-01 Ventus Black 10TX 

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex TCB 5-AW Modus 130X :titelist-small: T100 4 iron Modus 130X 

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 54.12, 60.08 Modus 125 Wedge/60.10 LAGP L Series 120 Wedge 

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1 

I play 75+ rounds/year and play with Vokey SM8 52° and 58°.  I ordered the SM9 wedges and will integrate them into play by summer.

• Like 1

:titelist-small: Linksmaster bag or MacKenzie golf baggolf bag:

:titelist-small: TSi2 11° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6 stiff A1 setting Tour Velvet grip

:titelist-small:   TSi2 16.5°and 21° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7 stiff A1 setting Tour Velvet grip

:titelist-small:  T200 Utility Build 22° Graphite Design Tour AD 85 HY stiff 1.5° flat Tour Velvet grip

:titelist-small:  2021 T200 5-W (48°) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 105 stiff 1.5° flat Tour Velvet grip 

:vokey-small:  SM9 48.10F Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 105 stiff 1.5° flat 52.12F and 58.10S Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 stiff 1° flat Tour Velvet grip

Scotty Cameron   2020 Special Select Newport 34" 350g

ArccosSig.jpg.ebcfd079607adabd46a71d6125ee2ab6.jpg P3 sensor, Caddy Smart grips and Apple Watch

:titelist-small:  ProV1x

When I used to play 3x a week and put in a few hours of practice, I'd wear out my Sand wedge and Lob wedge.  I used to just buy the same model/spec about annually to replace the worn out wedge... Now it seems wedge models change more often, so I begin looking once my current SW starts to lose the bottom groves.  Now that I only play once a week and rarely practice, it's not an annual replacement, just the normal re-grip on the whole bag.  I don't buy the technology stories for wedges, it's all about weight, CoG, length, bounce, loft and grind.  Shaft can also affect performance depending on your strike; are you a picker or a digger? Over many years, I know what I like, but it wouldn't necessarily apply to anyone else.  The ONLY way to choose wedges is to demo as many as you can paying attention to the specs, not what the back of the head looks like...  hit full shots off grass, sand, dirt... chips, pitches... see what spec. does what you want. Not much differentiation in a chunk of steel, just the specs.  MHO

EPIC Driver, EPIC 3 Wood, EPIC hybrid, Adams irons, Callaway wedges, Scotty putter and Titleist ball.

I normally get the wedges that come with my set and pick up a couple of Vokey's.  Normally every other cycle based on wear.  Currently playing SM7, will be ordering SM9s soon, probably 52.08F and 58.10S or 56.10F/56.10S.  Will talk to my fitter when we decided on shafts.   

• Like 1

Titleist

DRIVER - TSi3 11.50* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR S   

FAIRWAY - TSI2 15.0* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 S

HYBRID - 816H1 18.0* - Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 8.8 Tour Spec S

HYBRID - 818H1 21.0* - Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 8.8 Tour Spec S

IRONS - T300 (2019) - 5-W - True Temper AMT Red 107g-95gm R300

WEDGES - VOKEY SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94gm R300,  SM7 - 58.12D N.S. PRO 950GH R300       

***  GolfPride MC+4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges) 

PUTTER -  + 2022 PING PLD  - 35" Anser Milled Black Matte   * Ping Midsize Grip

++  2020 CAMERON SPECIAL SELECT CUSTOM  - 35" Newport 2   *GolfPride SNSR 104 Grip

GOLF BALL - TITLEIST - Prov1 

GOLF BAG - TITLEIST - Midsize Tour Bag Black/Black/Red and Black Cart 14 

GOLF GLOVE - FOOTJOY - StaSof, Hyper Flex, StaCooler, Rain Glove

SHOES - FOOTJOY - Premieres, Traditions, Tradition MyJoys, Pro/SLs, Flex, Flex XP, DryJoy Tour MyJoys, Icon MyJoys, Rain Boots. 

APPAREL - FOOTJOY 

RANGEFINDER -  BUSHNELL - Pro XE

I augment my wedges every other year or so, trying Cleveland CB's, Ping, Mack Daddy, in different lofts/bounce combinations.  (I have wedges in every 2º loft increment from 46º-60º, and the 54º or 56º in bounces of 8º,10º,12º, and 60º in 4º,6º,10º.). But I eventually keep going back to my 30-year-old Cleveland 588's (56º/12º, 60º/4º), sometimes refreshing the grooves every 3-4 years.  Just switched back to them from Ping Glide 3.0's 2 weeks ago, and holed a short-sided bunker shot with its first use!

• Like 1

When I change out my iron set, I replace my (specialty) wedges too. My current irons/wedges are about 4 years old, and I’ll probably replace them next year. I use my GW more than my PW, and my SW and LW much less. OTOH presumably a wedge wears faster when used in bunkers. I can still stop, short or full swing, my wedges after 4 years, though maybe they’re not as crisp as when new.

I’ve read (Titleist) says groove wear is significant after 75 rounds (500 swings?), but I don’t know anyone including some near scratch players who would replace wedges that often - no chance. That’s every 6 months if you play only 3 rounds/week! It might make sense for pros who can stop the ball like few amateurs can, but not most amateurs…

https://www.golfwrx.com/441170/groove-test-how-often-should-you-change-wedges/

• Like 1
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B Fit@TrueSpec ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Adidas Codechaos, FJ DryJoys

I'm sure there are all sorts of variables when it comes to wedge replacements.  Number of rounds played, types of shots (sand, full, around the green, etc.).  I don't have a fixed number of rounds, just when I think the overall performance is what I'm used to.  I play CBX2s now, but am in the process of changing them out after only about 2 years because I find I just prefer more of a blade-style wedge.  Moving over to the Edison forged wedges, I think.

I will say that my 54 has a lot more wear than my 58, but that's because I use it far more frequently.  I don't think wedge tech really changes too much, year over year, but I think new ideas start to come out maybe every 2-3 years?

Good luck!

• Like 1

download.png.70f309c82ad44a20c4a21dd4294734cf.png  Mizuno ST200G driver, Diamana White stiff

download.png.70f309c82ad44a20c4a21dd4294734cf.png  Mizuno ST200 Tour Spoon 3 wood, Diamana White stiff

download.png.70f309c82ad44a20c4a21dd4294734cf.png  Mizuno CLK20 3 hybrid, Speeder stiff

download.png.70f309c82ad44a20c4a21dd4294734cf.png  Mizuno JPX919 Hot Metal irons, 4-GW, KBS Taper-Lite stiff

image.png.f3146f5cbe00585fea3dd528bfa38cbf.pngCBX2 54 & 58 wedges

download.png.70f309c82ad44a20c4a21dd4294734cf.png  Mizuno M Craft II putter

Just pick up a groove sharpener.  I do not believe having brand new wedges with maximum spin is that great.  A little hop and stop is nice but when new grooves can rip the ball back ten feet I think you lose some control on the landing and release of the ball.

• Like 1

Look...I'm sure they do....don't think that wedge changes are on the golfer's radar...rather, media hype is about length...drivers/woods etc.

I keep mine pretty clean and do that each week.

They would be about 5+ yrs old ( Bridgestone/Miura)...so, unless something grabs my attention...they'll stay in the bag.

• Like 1

Every couple years, I'd say seasons, but we can play year round here. 

Used to always buy 2 sets of wedges, one for tournaments and one for everyday. I may go back to that once I start playing more competitive rounds. 

• Like 1

Wedges are made for Pro's these days.  The best wedge designer in the business is a guy named Terry Koehler.  He has owned Ben Hogan, Edison, Ray Cook, Eidelon, and one other.  Amazing wedge designer.  www.edisongolf.com.  They make every degree, so you count 4 degrees from the club that you want to start your wedges at and go from there.  The v sole that everyone is using now was his patent.  

• Like 1

When the groves show wear

• Like 2

I’m in the process of picking out new clubs, due to recent illness and age 69 I have lost 25 yds on distance