TESTERS WANTED! ×

How often do you purchase new wedges/do they really change year/year?

Jon Diamond

I don't change them out, I love what I have. I did buy a regrooving tool, on the recommendation of my instructor. Yes, it might make your club marginally non-conforming, but if you're not playing tournaments, who cares? My teacher, a good local senior, has two of his favorite wedges (Callaway Mack Daddy PM grind). He keeps one in pristine shape for tournaments only, and uses the other the rest of the time, regrooving a couple times a year.

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

Switch every two years. Studies show after 75 rounds they start degrading in performance 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Rarely - I'm not a high spin player - I have wedges that are very old but that it also contrary to prevailing thought.  If I'm hitting them inside of 25 feet consistently though it trumps the shanks, chunks and blades that I get while trying to change to something else that would spin more whenever I get around to feeling confident with it. 

I think you should look at changing them every two or three years not because of technology upgrades but wear and tear wise.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm playing the Callaway '19 PM Grind 54 and 60.  My 60 is getting worn from a lot of bunker shots over the past couple of years, but I doubt I will change.  The grooves are obviously not as sharp as there were new, but I don't make full swings with them and I am not a spin player.  I did buy a new 60 as a backup, but I would have to swap out the shafts.  Maybe one of these days, but I look at the missing chrome on the sole as a badge of honor.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I still have the Cleveland CBX wedges in my bag BUT I also only play 25-30 rounds max per year, and some of those are 9 holes only. So I don't put as much wear on them as some other golfers do. As a result I tend to change them out less. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

My 56 and 60 probably ever 1.5 years. I play about 75-100 rounds a year so they get some use. My 50 maybe every 2ndd or 3rd year. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 4-5 P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50.10F, 54.10S - X100 & 58.04T S400

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

I play 75+ rounds/year and play with Vokey SM8 52° and 58°.  I ordered the SM9 wedges and will integrate them into play by summer.

:titelist-small: Linksmaster bag  

:titelist-small:  TSR3 11° Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6 stiff

:titelist-small:   TSi2 16.5° and 21° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7 stiff 

:titelist-small:  T200 Utility Build 22° Graphite Design Tour AD 85 HY stiff

:titelist-small:  2021 T200 5-P Nippon Pro Modus³ Tour 105 stiff

:vokey-small:  SM9 48.10F Nippon Pro Modus³ Tour 105 stiff52.12F Nippon Pro Modus³ Tour 120 stiff and 58.10S Jet Black Premium True Temper AMT Black-Black Onyx S300

Scotty Cameron   2022 Special Select Jet Set Newport 34" 350g

ArccosSig.jpg.ebcfd079607adabd46a71d6125ee2ab6.jpg P3 sensor, Caddy Smart grips, and Apple Watch

:titelist-small:  ProV1x

When I used to play 3x a week and put in a few hours of practice, I'd wear out my Sand wedge and Lob wedge.  I used to just buy the same model/spec about annually to replace the worn out wedge... Now it seems wedge models change more often, so I begin looking once my current SW starts to lose the bottom groves.  Now that I only play once a week and rarely practice, it's not an annual replacement, just the normal re-grip on the whole bag.  I don't buy the technology stories for wedges, it's all about weight, CoG, length, bounce, loft and grind.  Shaft can also affect performance depending on your strike; are you a picker or a digger? Over many years, I know what I like, but it wouldn't necessarily apply to anyone else.  The ONLY way to choose wedges is to demo as many as you can paying attention to the specs, not what the back of the head looks like...  hit full shots off grass, sand, dirt... chips, pitches... see what spec. does what you want. Not much differentiation in a chunk of steel, just the specs.  MHO

EPIC Driver, EPIC 3 Wood, EPIC hybrid, Adams irons, Callaway wedges, Scotty putter and Titleist ball.

I normally get the wedges that come with my set and pick up a couple of Vokey's.  Normally every other cycle based on wear.  Currently playing SM7, will be ordering SM9s soon, probably 52.08F and 58.10S or 56.10F/56.10S.  Will talk to my fitter when we decided on shafts.   

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

I augment my wedges every other year or so, trying Cleveland CB's, Ping, Mack Daddy, in different lofts/bounce combinations.  (I have wedges in every 2º loft increment from 46º-60º, and the 54º or 56º in bounces of 8º,10º,12º, and 60º in 4º,6º,10º.). But I eventually keep going back to my 30-year-old Cleveland 588's (56º/12º, 60º/4º), sometimes refreshing the grooves every 3-4 years.  Just switched back to them from Ping Glide 3.0's 2 weeks ago, and holed a short-sided bunker shot with its first use!

When I change out my iron set, I replace my (specialty) wedges too. My current irons/wedges are about 4 years old, and I’ll probably replace them next year. I use my GW more than my PW, and my SW and LW much less. OTOH presumably a wedge wears faster when used in bunkers. I can still stop, short or full swing, my wedges after 4 years, though maybe they’re not as crisp as when new.

I’ve read (Titleist) says groove wear is significant after 75 rounds (500 swings?), but I don’t know anyone including some near scratch players who would replace wedges that often - no chance. That’s every 6 months if you play only 3 rounds/week! It might make sense for pros who can stop the ball like few amateurs can, but not most amateurs…

https://www.golfwrx.com/441170/groove-test-how-often-should-you-change-wedges/

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

I'm sure there are all sorts of variables when it comes to wedge replacements.  Number of rounds played, types of shots (sand, full, around the green, etc.).  I don't have a fixed number of rounds, just when I think the overall performance is what I'm used to.  I play CBX2s now, but am in the process of changing them out after only about 2 years because I find I just prefer more of a blade-style wedge.  Moving over to the Edison forged wedges, I think.

I will say that my 54 has a lot more wear than my 58, but that's because I use it far more frequently.  I don't think wedge tech really changes too much, year over year, but I think new ideas start to come out maybe every 2-3 years?

Good luck!

Mizuno ST200G driver, Diamana White stiff

Mizuno ST200 Tour Spoon 3 wood, Diamana White stiff

Titleist TSR 7 wood, stiff

Mizuno MP223 irons, 4-GW, Nippon Modus X-stiff

Edison Forged wedges, 55 and 59 degree, KBS Tour stiff

Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom 5s

Look...I'm sure they do....don't think that wedge changes are on the golfer's radar...rather, media hype is about length...drivers/woods etc.

I keep mine pretty clean and do that each week.

They would be about 5+ yrs old ( Bridgestone/Miura)...so, unless something grabs my attention...they'll stay in the bag.

Every couple years, I'd say seasons, but we can play year round here. 

Used to always buy 2 sets of wedges, one for tournaments and one for everyday. I may go back to that once I start playing more competitive rounds. 

Wedges are made for Pro's these days.  The best wedge designer in the business is a guy named Terry Koehler.  He has owned Ben Hogan, Edison, Ray Cook, Eidelon, and one other.  Amazing wedge designer.  www.edisongolf.com.  They make every degree, so you count 4 degrees from the club that you want to start your wedges at and go from there.  The v sole that everyone is using now was his patent.  

SM4 and SM6 if there is a CC rule. Otherwise i use my pre 2010 wedges as they have the best sole/bounce combos, grooves don't bother me (yet) as the urethane of the ball keeps getting softer so I still can stop a wedge when I choose to. Impact and spin back to one hop and check or stop

I've played Cleveland RTX-4 wedges for several years now and would not change unless the groves became excessively worn. The 54 degree wedge has 10 degrees of bounce and the 58 degree wedge has 9 degrees. Absolutely love them both. Both still have enough spin for my game.

Driver - Taylormade M6; 10.5 Degrees - Diamana BF50R shaft.

Fairway Woods - Tour Exotics (3 Wood) CBX119 EvenFlow Project X 5.5R Tour Exotics (4 Wood) XCG7; Fujikura 50R shaft.

Hybrids - PING G (19,22 and 26 Degree lofts.)

Irons - Mizuno MX300 (7-GW)

Wedges - Cleveland RTX4 (54 and 58 degree)

Putter - Pyramid Altec Series AZ-11

Ball - Bridgestone 330-RTX or Calloway Tour iz

I've had my Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 grind 3 years and they're still in great shape, look almost new. Probably go another 2 seasons.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

Thanks for asking this.  I'm looking at a new set of wedges, getting fit in April. I have nice SM5 Vokeys that look new, but I'm a higher handicap and I think I can benefit from a cavity back wedge. Golf's hard, why make it even harder?! 

10 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Switch every two years. Studies show after 75 rounds they start degrading in performance 

I'll have to buy wedges mid year... I just picked up new ones and the spin is very noticeable. After playing with them, I decided to replace them more often now. Plan will be the 60° every year and the 55° & 50° every 1.5 to 2 years. I do try to use a old 60 when I practice but it is a hassle bringing to the range and putting it back in my truck before the round.

Hate yourself, not the game...

In my Vessel bag:

:cobra-small: King SpeedZone          :taylormade-small: MG 3 Satin RAW black 60°

:srixon-small: ZX 3 wood                          :vokey-small: SW & GW Black

:titleist-small:  3-PW                        :EVNROLL: EV2 Mid-Lock              :titleist-small: Prov1x-

Wedges are probably the clubs I replace the most often, nothing better than the spin of a new wedge around the greens.

Probably change them out my 60 and 56 about every 18 months on average.

Edited by Inferno2ss

I play 100+ rounds a year plus also practice with my specialty wedges so the most I go is 18 months. By then the stopping power has been reduced to where the short shots are no longer a viable option. The ball just rolls out too far. 

• TaylorMade Stealth2+ 9° - Fujikura Ventus Black VeloCore 5-S
  • TaylorMade M5 15° - Fujikura Ventus Black VeloCore 6-S
  • Callaway CF-18 18° - KBS Tour Prototype 85 S
  • Srixon 4-AW Nippon Modus 3 105 R
  • Cleveland ZipCore 54° Mid and 58° Mid DG Spinner
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 35"
  • Titleist Pro V1
  • Arccos Gen 3 sensors

I have Mack Daddy and Jaws. I play 4-5 rounds per week so I have groove tools and resharpen every 3-4 months and don’t play major tournaments  so I don’t worry about the conformance only performance. Due to the amount I play I replace every couple of years.

OldGuyGolf