TESTERS WANTED! ×

How often do you purchase new wedges/do they really change year/year?

Jon Diamond

13 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Switch every two years. Studies show after 75 rounds they start degrading in performance 

Studies by golf companies. And really the only thing those studies proved is moisture is no good on old wedges. My only issue is that my golfspy started doing moisture tests on wedges and found fresh wedges lost a ton of yards already. So who the hell really knows. 

Adam wittman 

I switch every year now. Play around 200 or more rounds in a year so with practice and play, they are very worn out. By the end of the season I barely have any spin.

Srixon ZX7 Mk II Irons 5-9

Titleist U505 2 Iron 

PING G430 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland 3 Wood

2024 Calloway Ai Smoke Triple Diamond Driver with Oban shaft

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 Putter

Taylormade 2024 TP5x 

There was quite a bit of wear on my Vokeys to look at them and I was thinking of replacing the highest lofted to see if I should replace the others.  A local shop/fitter said they were still pretty sharp so I had him bend them to suit my needs better.  A buddy had a set of Kirkland Signature wedges that I tried and actually liked, so after doing a bit of research and watching some reviews I decided to buy the set for less than the price of one new Vokey.  I did change the grips and am pleasantly surprised.  One of my playing partners was inspecting them closely the other day, after seeing how much spin I was getting on them and commenting about whether they were legal.  I wonder how long till he has a set 🤣

Edited by JY56

Different for pros and Amateurs. Read an article where after 75-100 rounds you can lose 50% of your stopping power. A shot releasing 16 ft will now be 24 ft away. No great shakes for us hacks but when it impacts your livelihood it is a big deal. Speith rotates out every few months due to rounds and practice. Not in my budget. 

Every other year generally because of the west and tear. I have a variety of shots I play with each wedge and all of them could be used in the bunker depending on the situation. They all take a fair amount of wear and tear 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

I think about it every few years, maybe 2-3 years.  I think the grooves wear down and the clubs do get scuffed up.  I bought Edel wedges in September and I think they are great. It was a great fitting session and the flexibility to tune these for my game was huge.  

10 hours ago, Adam-wittman said:

Studies by golf companies. And really the only thing those studies proved is moisture is no good on old wedges. My only issue is that my golfspy started doing moisture tests on wedges and found fresh wedges lost a ton of yards already. So who the hell really knows. 

Well who else is goin to conduct them? Myth busters.

And no that’s not the only thing that’s been shown. In the study that titleist did groove wear impacts distance control. They showed how much roll out occurs as wedges increase in wear and the more wear the more roll out and loss d distance control 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

For those interested here is the titleist info

https://www.titleist.com/teamtitleist/b/tourblog/posts/when-should-you-replace-your-wedges

Also iirc Vokey tells the tour players to change their most used wedge 4 times a year and their least used wedge once a year. With the other wedges they use 2-3 times a year. Obviously pros use their wedges way more than an amateur die the amount of time they practice and play and they also get them whenever they want for free. 

Between range balls and whatever practice and playing an amateur does the timeline for replacement may vary

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I play over hundred rounds a year, practice about twenty times a year (before Covid)  and note wear on my wedges. I am a low handicapper at 67 years young. I change every two to three years or so (mostly Vokey) but this year purchased three Edison wedges. I am amazed at the spin I get on the Edison forged wedges.  I don't know if I like the increased spin so will continue to play the clubs and determine their utility for my game.  But if you want a great looking and feeling club that will increase your spin factor, try the Edisons.  The cost is roughly equal to Vokey's.  Good luck. 

When the ball flies too far, too high, or won't spin correctly, it's time for new wedges. Also, be sure to clean your clubs between strikes.  If you don't, the mud and grit will act like sandpaper on the grooves when you strike the ball again.  Also, don't allow your wedges to air dry after cleaning them. The evaporating water will dull the grooves leading edge and you'll lose a little grip every time you do this. Your disposable razor is the same way. 

20 hours ago, Middler said:

That’s every 6 months if you play only 3 rounds/week!

ONLY!?! Lol..I wish. I play like once a month when I am lucky. (not including range/home net practice)

That said, my wedges are the SM5's that came out in like 2014 and I still sometimes spin the ball off the front of the green. Now my grip is slick and in wet conditions it doens't spin as well, but I tried replacing it once and i switched back fairly quickly as I was way more consistant with my old wedge. Having said all that, I am eagerly awating "upgrading" to the SM9's once they are in stores. I figure $180 every 8 years really isn't that bad price. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi4 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White 65gr X shaft set to D-1 Hosel
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: Testing: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: BX, :taylormade-small: TP5x 

Not very often. I think mygolfspy did a test some years ago and noticed that spin degraded after 70 rounds or so. They stayed degraded for awhile, but then started adding spin as more rounds were played. They never got back to new spin, but the spin was effective enough to play. I play at least 150 rounds a year and am rocking SM6 54 and 58. I might note I don't normally play chips and pitches to the hole one bounce and stop shots anyway. Like to give them room to run a little so maybe max spin doesn't matter..

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

I was just watching the Arnold Palmer tournament and they were talking about John Rahm and his wedges. Indicating that he puts a new 60° wedge in his bag every tournament.

Do those groove sharpeners really work?

Hate yourself, not the game...

In my Vessel bag:

:cobra-small: King SpeedZone          :taylormade-small: MG 3 Satin RAW black 60°

:srixon-small: ZX 3 wood                          :vokey-small: SW & GW Black

:titleist-small:  3-PW                        :EVNROLL: EV2 Mid-Lock              :titleist-small: Prov1x-

2 sets of wedges every year.  

I play 70-100 rounds a year, and try to practice with my wedges almost every day..

$900 a year can seem like a lot, but you cant take it with you.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I definitely see increased spin on new wedges, so I replace when I perceive less spin around greens.  That's usually about two years for me.  I don't really change for new " innovation" or marketing. 

Edited by Madboy76

2 hours ago, Muckinfiddle said:

I was just watching the Arnold Palmer tournament and they were talking about John Rahm and his wedges. Indicating that he puts a new 60° wedge in his bag every tournament.

Do those groove sharpeners really work?

I've seen videos of groove sharpeners.  Some of them really do work, but may not result in an even groove width and may make wedges non conforming if you care about that sort of thing.

6 minutes ago, Madboy76 said:

I've seen videos of groove sharpeners.  Some of them really do work, but may not result in an even groove width and may make wedges non conforming if you care about that sort of thing.

I would be concerned with the inconsistency of grooves. I don't know that my irons would ever be questioned either way.

Hate yourself, not the game...

In my Vessel bag:

:cobra-small: King SpeedZone          :taylormade-small: MG 3 Satin RAW black 60°

:srixon-small: ZX 3 wood                          :vokey-small: SW & GW Black

:titleist-small:  3-PW                        :EVNROLL: EV2 Mid-Lock              :titleist-small: Prov1x-

On 10/21/2017 at 3:32 AM, gaussman1 said:

Every time Vokeys are updated and once a year for the SW. Titleist, Bob Vokey and Aaron Dill have been good to me. The only problem I have with them is having a garage full of them. 

All Titleist all the time. 

On 3/2/2022 at 12:56 PM, mharr said:

I augment my wedges every other year or so, trying Cleveland CB's, Ping, Mack Daddy, in different lofts/bounce combinations.  (I have wedges in every 2º loft increment from 46º-60º, and the 54º or 56º in bounces of 8º,10º,12º, and 60º in 4º,6º,10º.). But I eventually keep going back to my 30-year-old Cleveland 588's (56º/12º, 60º/4º), sometimes refreshing the grooves every 3-4 years.  Just switched back to them from Ping Glide 3.0's 2 weeks ago, and holed a short-sided bunker shot with its first use!

48 hr shelf life on new to the bag clubs rule in effect. 🙄

All Titleist all the time. 

Switched mine out for the first time in 15 years last year.  Maybe I'll switch out more frequently going forward, but I'll use them until I don't like them anymore most likely

Driver: Cobra F6

3W: Titleist TSi3

5W: TM RocketBallz -(my favorite club)

Hybrids: Cleveland 2-4

Irons: Callaway Apex DCB 4-PW

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMB 52 & 56

Putter: TM Rossa Monte Carlo Mallet 

On 3/1/2022 at 1:55 PM, Jon Diamond said:

hey all! I am looking to potentially upgrade my wedges. I play the Callaway Mack Daddy CB's and I am wanting to know how often you switch out your wedges? 

Everyone is different so I thought i'd open up the chat! 

l buy about every 3rd year.  I also play the Callaway Mack Daddy tactical wedge 52, and Vokey sm8  pw and 54.  Not due to tech advances but the grooves wear down. I do use a groove cleaner which keeps them decent but there is a difference for me in distance control and bite.  I guess the pro's change them out sometimes weekly, and every few tournaments at least. Oh to have that budget, right?  Sometimes they do it for the different bounce according to turf conditions of course. 

Play and practice a lot.  I usually change out wedges every two years.  Sometimes more often. I go more by feel and performance than rounds played or time.  Or if something new comes out I want to try.  LOL, I have about 30 wedges in a bag in the garage, occasionally after a wedge performs badly they get placed in there and replaced with something else....because I am sure it was the wedges fault and not my execution.  

Stealth 2+ Ventus Black S, Epic Max 3 wood Smoke Black S, Epic 21 3 Hybrid Smoke Black S or an old Titleist 712U 2 iron with Smoke Black X, Mizuno 923 Tours Project X LS 6.0, Mizuno T21 50, 54, 58 KBS V tour S.  Everything is +1 inch.  Currently rolling a Cameron T-22 Limited Release Newport 2.  

Titleist ProV1 X left dash or AVX in the winter when its cold

Hello, I change my wedges every two seasons. Why? Groove wear. As I get older and therefore less able to hit all greens in reg-I rely on my wedges more and more. So I want wedges that will stop when they are supposed to and the only way that happens is with clean and sharp grooves. IMHO that is. Hope that helps!

Golf Gear Head

Usually buy new wedges every 12-16 months. I practice my short game often and tend to miss far to many greens in regulation, so my wedges get quite a work out.

When I buy new wedges, it's usually easy to notice the additional spin with the new wedges over my previous ones.

Good luck

Troy Sheaffer 

IMHO it's really bunker play/practice that kill the grooves.   Also, hitting balls with sand/dirt already on the wedge face.   I replace mine once I see the knicks and dents on and in between the milled grooves, usually after 4-5 years.  Probably not often enough.   They do retain most of its spin, they are probably not as consistent with their spin.

• 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Max LS 11.5° (10.5°+1) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6 stiff
  • 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Flash 3 Wood 17° (15°+2) w/ Project X Even Flow Green 60 stiff
  • 943183396_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.391f8ed5e36869c949eb3a241d2a750d.jpgSuper Hybrid 21° (20°+1) w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 80 stiff
  • 518011180_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.f52e8c7ce28e9a854c65b04b28450163.jpgRogue Hybrid 5 (24°) w/ Aldila Synergy 60 HYB Graphite stiff
  •   Screenshot 2021-12-24 002411.jpg2021 P790 Irons 5-AW (1° flat, weakened lofts) w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95 cw regular
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgCBX2 Wedges 54°, 58° w/ True Temper DG 115 Wedge flex
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgOdyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab, 33 in
  • 1360869533_Screenshot2021-12-24002835.jpg.38d6fb8915a5bd0b37b4bbec950f4c64.jpgPro V1
  • bushnell_launchpro_logos_medium.jpg.7df9dcd404a46928e3850d1e1335e4e3.jpgBushnell Launch Pro

I change mine every 3 years or so depending how much I play. I don't  think there is much advancement year to year. They're basically blades so there isn't much that can change apart from grind options and weight dispersion. Face texture would be another part I suppose. My 2 cents