How often do you purchase new wedges/do they really change year/year?

Jon Diamond

SM4 and SM6 if there is a CC rule. Otherwise i use my pre 2010 wedges as they have the best sole/bounce combos, grooves don't bother me (yet) as the urethane of the ball keeps getting softer so I still can stop a wedge when I choose to. Impact and spin back to one hop and check or stop

I've played Cleveland RTX-4 wedges for several years now and would not change unless the groves became excessively worn. The 54 degree wedge has 10 degrees of bounce and the 58 degree wedge has 9 degrees. Absolutely love them both. Both still have enough spin for my game.

I've had my Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 grind 3 years and they're still in great shape, look almost new. Probably go another 2 seasons.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Diamona S+ LTD Blue-Board 70 R Flex

Ping G410 5 Fairway Wood Mitsubishi Tensi Orange R Flex

Ping G410 4-5-6 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi Blue R Flex

Ping i500 Irons 5-U w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex (power-spec lofts)

Ping 3.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex

2021 Ping Fetch Putter/1996 Original Odyssey (not Callaway) Dual Force Rossie Blade

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Mid-Size Grips

Thanks for asking this.  I'm looking at a new set of wedges, getting fit in April. I have nice SM5 Vokeys that look new, but I'm a higher handicap and I think I can benefit from a cavity back wedge. Golf's hard, why make it even harder?! 

Kind of depends. Normally every year or two. Last year I got new wedges at the beginning of the year but got new ones again towards the end. Went from a 50,55 and 60 to a 52-58. Keeping both sets in case I change my make up again. 

10 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Switch every two years. Studies show after 75 rounds they start degrading in performance 

I'll have to buy wedges mid year... I just picked up new ones and the spin is very noticeable. After playing with them, I decided to replace them more often now. Plan will be the 60° every year and the 55° & 50° every 1.5 to 2 years. I do try to use a old 60 when I practice but it is a hassle bringing to the range and putting it back in my truck before the round.

I'm lazy at interneting...

Wedges are probably the clubs I replace the most often, nothing better than the spin of a new wedge around the greens.

Probably change them out my 60 and 56 about every 18 months on average.

Edited by Inferno2ss

I play 100+ rounds a year plus also practice with my specialty wedges so the most I go is 18 months. By then the stopping power has been reduced to where the short shots are no longer a viable option. The ball just rolls out too far. 

• Taylormade SIM2 8° Fujikura Ventus Blue with VeloCore 6-R
  • TaylorMade M5 15° Project X HZRDUS Red 75 6.0 or Srixon ZX 16° KBS Tour Prototype 85 R
  • Callaway Big Bertha 19° KBS Tour Prototype 85 S
  • Srixon 4-AW Nippon Modus 3 105 R
  • Cleveland ZipCore 54° Mid and 58° Mid DG Spinner
  • Sub70 Mid-Mallet Sycamore 002 34.5"
  • Titleist Pro V1x
  • Arccos Gen 3 sensors

I have Mack Daddy and Jaws. I play 4-5 rounds per week so I have groove tools and resharpen every 3-4 months and don’t play major tournaments  so I don’t worry about the conformance only performance. Due to the amount I play I replace every couple of years.

OldGuyGolf

I change after about 100 rounds, about 2 years.  I think I should change every year, as I practice a lot with them too.

I change whenever I find something I like more. I used to buy used wedges so luckily have gotten away from that haha

13 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Switch every two years. Studies show after 75 rounds they start degrading in performance 

Studies by golf companies. And really the only thing those studies proved is moisture is no good on old wedges. My only issue is that my golfspy started doing moisture tests on wedges and found fresh wedges lost a ton of yards already. So who the hell really knows. 

Adam wittman 

I switch every year now. Play around 200 or more rounds in a year so with practice and play, they are very worn out. By the end of the season I barely have any spin.

Taylormade P770 Irons

Taylormade Stealth 5 Wood Plus

Stealth Plus 8 degree Driver

Taylormade Milled Grind 3 Wedges (50, 54, 60)

Even Roll ER2 Putter

There was quite a bit of wear on my Vokeys to look at them and I was thinking of replacing the highest lofted to see if I should replace the others.  A local shop/fitter said they were still pretty sharp so I had him bend them to suit my needs better.  A buddy had a set of Kirkland Signature wedges that I tried and actually liked, so after doing a bit of research and watching some reviews I decided to buy the set for less than the price of one new Vokey.  I did change the grips and am pleasantly surprised.  One of my playing partners was inspecting them closely the other day, after seeing how much spin I was getting on them and commenting about whether they were legal.  I wonder how long till he has a set 🤣

Edited by JY56
  • Like 1

Different for pros and Amateurs. Read an article where after 75-100 rounds you can lose 50% of your stopping power. A shot releasing 16 ft will now be 24 ft away. No great shakes for us hacks but when it impacts your livelihood it is a big deal. Speith rotates out every few months due to rounds and practice. Not in my budget. 

Every other year generally because of the west and tear. I have a variety of shots I play with each wedge and all of them could be used in the bunker depending on the situation. They all take a fair amount of wear and tear 

:ping-small: G425 LST 10.5 Aldilla Rogue White 70s

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder Tour Spec

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 50,54, and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:taylormade-small:Spider Tour Putter

Vice Pro Plus White or Titleist ProV1x

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

:CaddyTek: V8 3 Wheel Push Cart

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

I think about it every few years, maybe 2-3 years.  I think the grooves wear down and the clubs do get scuffed up.  I bought Edel wedges in September and I think they are great. It was a great fitting session and the flexibility to tune these for my game was huge.  

10 hours ago, Adam-wittman said:

Studies by golf companies. And really the only thing those studies proved is moisture is no good on old wedges. My only issue is that my golfspy started doing moisture tests on wedges and found fresh wedges lost a ton of yards already. So who the hell really knows. 

Well who else is goin to conduct them? Myth busters.

And no that’s not the only thing that’s been shown. In the study that titleist did groove wear impacts distance control. They showed how much roll out occurs as wedges increase in wear and the more wear the more roll out and loss d distance control 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

For those interested here is the titleist info

https://www.titleist.com/teamtitleist/b/tourblog/posts/when-should-you-replace-your-wedges

Also iirc Vokey tells the tour players to change their most used wedge 4 times a year and their least used wedge once a year. With the other wedges they use 2-3 times a year. Obviously pros use their wedges way more than an amateur die the amount of time they practice and play and they also get them whenever they want for free. 

Between range balls and whatever practice and playing an amateur does the timeline for replacement may vary

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I play over hundred rounds a year, practice about twenty times a year (before Covid)  and note wear on my wedges. I am a low handicapper at 67 years young. I change every two to three years or so (mostly Vokey) but this year purchased three Edison wedges. I am amazed at the spin I get on the Edison forged wedges.  I don't know if I like the increased spin so will continue to play the clubs and determine their utility for my game.  But if you want a great looking and feeling club that will increase your spin factor, try the Edisons.  The cost is roughly equal to Vokey's.  Good luck.