Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Your favorite drills

As some of you may know...or not know, I am a teacher and golf coach.  We just started our new season yesterday and I have a lot of new golfers that came out.  This is a great thing because we are growing the game.  (I coach at a high poverty/high needs school).  I have a few seniors on the team but mainly freshman and sophmores.  My big question to any of you is simply what are some of your favorite golf drills?  They can be anything from putting drills to bunker drills to driver drills...I don't care, let me have 'em.  I love the ladder drill for distance control on the putting green.   

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

For putting I like gate drills, 3 footers, and anything to work on distance control (get inside 3 feet).  Setup spots on the green and have them 2 putt from those spots; keep score.  
for short/finesse game, setup tee areas and have them work on getting up and down from those spots .  Make 9 holes and keep score.

Track the scores and have them compete against each other and themselves. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

L to L is my go-to, both with feet together and feet apart. Always start a range session with it to help feel connected. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

• 1 month later...

Not so much a drill but maybe more a practice method, I go to an empty hole on the course and hit a ball from 150, 125, 100, 75, 50 and 25 yards.

• :callaway-small:Paradym AI Smoke Max Ventus TR Blue 5S
  • :Sub70: 3 & 7W 949 stiff
  • :mizuno-small: 921 JPX Tour 5-W Stiff Nippon 120
  • :taylormade-small: MG4 Raw Grind 50, 56 & 60 Stiff
  • :ping-small: Ping Anser 2 putter 
  • :titleist-small: Pro V1
  • EZ Go 4 seater

Great topic - will follow and will mention two of my favorites:

1. Full swing with feet together. This drill helps a lot with upper body issues. As for many golfers my muscles get pretty tense and I don’t get enough separation in my arms from my torso as well as shoulder turn both on the backswing and the finish. This drill helps me

2. Very slow and increase-as-you-go full swing. Very helpful with sequencing and tempo. I use it with wedges for additional benefit to learn more ways to get certain distances. For example my PW goes about 130. I start by trying to hit it about 90 with a full swing and regular LA. Then I try to go +10 yards etc. 

Both of these drills could be difficult to execute but benefits are excellent!

On 4/10/2022 at 7:02 PM, Ed S said:

Great topic - will follow and will mention two of my favorites:

1. Full swing with feet together. This drill helps a lot with upper body issues. As for many golfers my muscles get pretty tense and I don’t get enough separation in my arms from my torso as well as shoulder turn both on the backswing and the finish. This drill helps me

2. Very slow and increase-as-you-go full swing. Very helpful with sequencing and tempo. I use it with wedges for additional benefit to learn more ways to get certain distances. For example my PW goes about 130. I start by trying to hit it about 90 with a full swing and regular LA. Then I try to go +10 yards etc. 

Both of these drills could be difficult to execute but benefits are excellent!

Any thoughts or drills on how to get my hands starting down before my shoulders want to turn? 

When struggling with chunking or thinning shots I use the feet together drill to find the bottom of the swing. My first instructor taught me this and it always helps with finding that happy medium with contact and proper ball placement. 

To the OP:

You should read the book “Evidence Based Golf” by Christina and Alpenfels.  The authors did a number of controlled experiments comparing the results different drills and methods of doing drills to to test learning and retention of skills.  Highly recommended.  You can get on Kindle from Amazon.

19 hours ago, Dware said:

Any thoughts or drills on how to get my hands starting down before my shoulders want to turn? 

When struggling with chunking or thinning shots I use the feet together drill to find the bottom of the swing. My first instructor taught me this and it always helps with finding that happy medium with contact and proper ball placement. 

I’ve dealt with the same issue myself. I keep a thought in my head to exaggerate keeping my shoulders closed as long as possible so then my arms are moving down along the side of my torso and through the strike area and the “drag” the shoulders with them (as opposed to letting the torso rotation drag arms). Similarly, you can try keeping your head down looking at the back of the ball (the spot on the ground) even after your arms passed through the strike zone. 

During practice - always exaggerate!!!!

Good luck!

1 hour ago, Ed S said:

I’ve dealt with the same issue myself. I keep a thought in my head to exaggerate keeping my shoulders closed as long as possible so then my arms are moving down along the side of my torso and through the strike area and the “drag” the shoulders with them (as opposed to letting the torso rotation drag arms). Similarly, you can try keeping your head down looking at the back of the ball (the spot on the ground) even after your arms passed through the strike zone. 

During practice - always exaggerate!!!!

Good luck!

Thanks I’ll give this a shot during the next range session and give some feed back. 

On 3/2/2022 at 5:39 AM, ballplayer002003 said:

As some of you may know...or not know, I am a teacher and golf coach.  We just started our new season yesterday and I have a lot of new golfers that came out.  This is a great thing because we are growing the game.  (I coach at a high poverty/high needs school).  I have a few seniors on the team but mainly freshman and sophmores.  My big question to any of you is simply what are some of your favorite golf drills?  They can be anything from putting drills to bunker drills to driver drills...I don't care, let me have 'em.  I love the ladder drill for distance control on the putting green.   

For driver/full swing: look up the Rope drill by Dr. Kwon on youtube. Similar to the idea of Orange Whip for tempo and transition. I've used an electrical extension cord instead of braided rope that also works. He has a video showing how to make the ropes at home (7' lengths, around 1 lb total weight based on a specific diameter - 3/4" I believe.)

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0