TESTERS WANTED! ×

The 4th Annual PNW Spy golf-a-thon.

Thin2win

1 hour ago, Thin2win said:

Bear Mountain is a conundrum for me.  It's has some of the best golf holes I've played,  and some of the absolute worst. But it does do views really well.

I totally agree, so it's not just you since we don't have similar games!!  😂

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

I totally agree, so it's not just you since we don't have similar games!!  😂

Having grown up 3 miles from it,  I think it is surprisingly well done. The course wasn't designed by any known golf designer,  it was laid out by the property owner who was trying to sell houses built around it.   holes,  #1, 5,8, 9, and 18 are just bad. Like,  bad.  But holes, #2,3,4,6,7,12,14,16 are all really great.  Very few average golf holes.

@Kenny BCourtney and Xander will come down for the round at Wine Valley.

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

20 hours ago, Thin2win said:

Have you played much central/ eastern Washington golf? There are some great tracks.  Gamble Sands. Wine valley,  Palouse Ridge, Circling Raven,  Suncadia and Desert Canyon are the big names,  but a number of good fun courses.

Haven’t played any.  I played one course on Whidbey Island, but that was forever ago before i took golf seriously.

My Air Force career gave me 3 years in Spokane, really loved the courses over on that side of the state. The Creek at Qualchan was my home course. Also a big fan of Circling Raven over near Coeur d'Alene.

The only one I'm familiar with near the tri cities is the TPC at Snoqualmie. Did a stay and play there and the course was fantastic.

Now that I'm an east coaster again, it's tougher to get over there.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

1 hour ago, GregB135 said:

My Air Force career gave me 3 years in Spokane, really loved the courses over on that side of the state. The Creek at Qualchan was my home course. Also a big fan of Circling Raven over near Coeur d'Alene.

The only one I'm familiar with near the tri cities is the TPC at Snoqualmie. Did a stay and play there and the course was fantastic.

My memories of Fairchild AFB was 3+ weeks of SERE school. Sleeping in a snow cave lined with fir tree boughs, mock POW camp, and near drownings in a non-heated swimming pool is grossly overrated. 😆

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 5/26/2022 at 10:15 AM, GregB135 said:

Spokane city and county courses are nice and very reasonably priced.  My wife grew up there and started playing golf in 1964.  Spokane Country Club (now Kalispell G&CC) was her home course.  I love Circling Raven and we have played it every year of the PNW Spy Meet-Up.  

Only one problem... The Spokane courses are all closer to the TriCities than TPC Snoqualmie!!  😂

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 5/18/2022 at 8:10 PM, Kenny B said:

It's getting down to crunch time to play with the stalwart PNW MGS crew in our annual outing.  I need to have commitments by the end of next week.  After that, the tee times that we don't use will be turned back to the courses.

Players committed so far for the outing June 23-26:

Kenny B and Martha  (all days)
@Thin2win    (all days)
@fixyurdivot  (all days)
@gavinski91  (June 23-25) and brother (June 23 only)

Again, the courses are:

June 23   Apple Tree GC in Yakima
June 24   Canyon Lakes GC in Kennewick
June 25   Wine Valley GC in Walla Walla
June 26   Wildhorse GC in Pendleton OR

If I have missed anyone, or if someone wishes to play on any or all days, please let me know ASAP.

Anyone who has not committed to joining us in 3 weeks at the 2022 MGS PNW Meet-Up at any of the above locations must commit by the end of today!!!  Please let me know!!!

We still have room for more players, but tomorrow I will notify the courses of the final number of players and reserved tee times not used will be given back to the courses.

4 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Anyone who has not committed to joining us in 3 weeks at the 2022 MGS PNW Meet-Up at any of the above locations must commit by the end of today!!!  Please let me know!!!

We still have room for more players, but tomorrow I will notify the courses of the final number of players and reserved tee times not used will be given back to the courses.

Wish I was able.  Will be spending the next 365 days looking forward to next year. Take dead aim!

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G410 10.5 degree ALTA CB 55 RED STIFF
Fairway: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 3 & 5
Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 4 & 5
Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 6 - P w/ Mitsubishi Rayon KURO KAGE Black Parallel Graphite Iron Shaft STIFF
Wedges: :edel-golf-1: Edel SMS 50, 54, 58 degree with KBS STIFF 2g/8g/10g Weight Setup
Putter: :odyssey-small: Odyssey Stroke Lab 7 Putter w/ Graphite & Steel Shaft and Pistol Grip
Ball: :bridgestone-small: Bridgestone Tour B X
GPS: :ShotScope: Shot Scope V3 w/ Trackers 

"You don't HAVE to go play golf, you GET to go play golf." 

- Harvey Penick

Yeah wish I could make it out there also ... those dates just don't quite work out this year... 
(..plus I went ahead and stoopitly injured myself so not even playing golf right now)

- - - -

Separately, and just as an fyi / academic exercise...
I've been tracking the (basic economy) airfare from NY to Seattle for about two months by getting fare alert emails from Google and then putting it into a spreadsheet ...

NY-SEA_airfare.png.d76cd23187815e26df1b44309ac00a27.png

Obviously the fare gets higher as the date of the flight gets closer, but - in this one specific case, anyway - the lowest fare within 80 days before the flight was available at 72 and 73 days prior; the highest fare so far was at 35 days prior - and it was more than DOUBLE the lowest fare!! Also, the biggest day-to-day price changes, so far, are a -$86 drop and a +$107 increase.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

On 6/1/2022 at 8:38 AM, GrumpyGolf said:

Wish I was able.  Will be spending the next 365 days looking forward to planning next years event in Boise. Take dead aim!

Fixed it for ya... no pressure 🤣.

19 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Fixed it for ya... no pressure 🤣.

Dayum ... that escalated quickly.  So I guess that I had better be looking at places that will be up to y'alls standards. I got this, no worries. 🙃

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 6 - P w/ Mitsubishi Rayon KURO KAGE Black Parallel Graphite Iron Shaft STIFF
Wedges: :edel-golf-1: Edel SMS 50, 54, 58 degree with KBS STIFF 2g/8g/10g Weight Setup
Putter: :odyssey-small: Odyssey Stroke Lab 7 Putter w/ Graphite & Steel Shaft and Pistol Grip

- Harvey Penick

23 minutes ago, GrumpyGolf said:

Dayum ... that escalated quickly.  So I guess that I had better be looking at places that will be up to y'alls standards. I got this, no worries. 🙃

I can help.  I had a Boise itinerary all planned after the Covid fallout precluded us going to Bend, OR.  But we opted to just return to Spokane since only 4 of us attended and 3 were from eastern WA.  Well, maybe Chris hadn't moved their yet... can't remember...memory isn't what it used to be.  I just know we had a blast and always do.

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

I can help.  I had a Boise itinerary all planned after the Covid fallout precluded us going to Bend, OR.  But we opted to just return to Spokane since only 4 of us attended and 3 were from eastern WA.  Well, maybe Chris hadn't moved their yet... can't remember...memory isn't what it used to be.  I just know we had a blast and always do.

I have an idea of the courses I think everyone will enjoy and that show off the diversity of layouts in the area, but if you have some suggestions, I am open.  I have some ideas on places to stay and locations as well as places to dine that are good.  Also, TopGolf will be open by then as well.

- Harvey Penick

6 minutes ago, GrumpyGolf said:

I have an idea of the courses I think everyone will enjoy and that show off the diversity of layouts in the area, but if you have some suggestions, I am open.  I have some ideas on places to stay and locations as well as places to dine that are good.  Also, TopGolf will be open by then as well.

Banbury, Boise Ranch, Timberstone, and Quail Hollow immediately come to mind.  I played Banbury with another spy a few years ago... nice course. We'll defer to your local knowledge.

I'm playing Timberstone Monday 6/27 on my return leg home from our last meet-up round at Wildhorse on Sunday.  If you're interested in meeting up, let me know. 

41 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Banbury, Boise Ranch, Timberstone, and Quail Hollow immediately come to mind.  I played Banbury with another spy a few years ago... nice course. We'll defer to your local knowledge.

I'm playing Timberstone Monday 6/27 on my return leg home from our last meet-up round at Wildhorse on Sunday.  If you're interested in meeting up, let me know. 

BanBury and Timberstone we're on my short list.  Boise Ranch is my home course, so it is good.  But I was thinking Falcon Crest and Shadow Valley as the two others.  But I don't think you could go wrong with Quail Hollow or Red Hawk either as both are fun course with nice challenges.

As for meeting up on the 27th, as long as we are not releasing our new software build that weekend I am good with that.

- Harvey Penick

Next year? I've got an open fall calendar...

WITB:

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

somewhere in Western WA next year would be great.

or even an informal one day Western WA meet-up

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

49 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

What I really wanted to say was,  I have an open fall calendar this year,  why wait?

WITB:

2 hours ago, Thin2win said:

We have "fall golf" here in Montana.  Mufflers, mittens, and thermal undies may be needed however.

7 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

We have "fall golf" here in Montana.  Mufflers, mittens, and thermal undies may be needed however.

Up until late October is good here.  Pushing into November however would require that Montana fall golf outfit on most days.

- Harvey Penick

18 hours ago, dlow206 said:

If I start traveling that far for Spy Meet-up's, it will be a toss-up between PNW and Ohio 🙂.  My attempt to start a Rocky Mountain Meet seems DOA ... which is too bad considering how many CO, UT, and NV spies we have 😢.

19 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Someone on the wet side of the Cascades needs to set it up.  Not many active members in the Seattle area at the moment; more in the Portland area.

18 hours ago, Thin2win said:

What I really wanted to say was,  I have an open fall calendar this year,  why wait?

I didn't get to go to Tennessee this spring, so I'm hoping to go in the fall.  Depending on the timing, or if that trip falls through, then I'm in for Boise.  I have an uncle living in Nampa.

All this "spy meet stuff" got me thinking that we should have a little side game going between the Ohio Spring Fling and the PNW Meet-up. How about a CTP contest with entries documented in the Still Aceless Thread? And maybe a low net and low gross score?  Since I'm sure somewhere in the forum rules, gambling is verboten, bragging rights will have to suffice.  Maybe we can get Jamie @GolfSpy_APHto add a banner for the week.   @MattF, you boyz in for it?

4 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

All this "spy meet stuff" got me thinking that we should have a little side game going between the Ohio Spring Fling and the PNW Meet-up. How about a CTP contest with entries documented in the Still Aceless Thread? And maybe a low net and low gross score?  Since I'm sure somewhere in the forum rules, gambling is verboten, bragging rights will have to suffice.  Maybe we can get Jamie @GolfSpy_APHto add a banner for the week.   @MattF, you boyz in for it?

Best to send a PM to @GolfSpy_BOS@GolfSpy_TCU to organize this. Can't say I've followed this thread at all and have a lot going on that week with anniversary among other things. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

20 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

If @MaxEntropy, @Mr_Theoo, @brutal brutus and @gmmiddle are good, I'm fine.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

40 minutes ago, MattF said:

If @MaxEntropy, @Mr_Theoo, @brutal brutus and @gmmiddle are good, I'm fine.

I'm good with some sort of competition. @DiscipleofPenick, too?

EDIT: I just saw Tom's response in the Ohio thread, so ignore this.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

• 2 weeks later...

With 9 days until the first round, here's a look at the 9th hole at Apple Tree!

p.php

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
7 Wood - :PXG: 0341x Gen 4, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 75-S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X LS