TESTERS WANTED! ×

The 4th Annual PNW Spy golf-a-thon.

Thin2win

19 minutes ago, gavinski91 said:

I had an absolute blast on the trip! Didn't take many pictures, but have plenty of great memories!

Round 1 - Apple Tree GC, Yakima WA

Apple Tree was a great start to the trip. @Kieran was looking like he might break 90 for the first time ever, starting off the round with par on the first 3 holes, but unfortunately fell just shy of that mark. My scorecard was a collection of circles and squares - 3 birdies (a personal best), 4 pars, 6 bogeys, 4 doubles, and a snowman for an 87.

Kieran on the 17th tee. In defense of him, @fixyurdivot, and I, there was a tournament coming through after us with a $10k HIO prize, so they had moved the white tees all the way back to the tips (~185 yards). On the bright side, even though we all missed the green, we were close enough that the splash from our balls did hit the green.
IMG_4392.jpg.e577a006235d45630227edf55057d916.jpg

Martha was unimpressed that @Kenny B's tee was in front of hers, but they both managed to hit the green.IMG_4391.MOV  

Round 2 - Sun Willows, Pasco WA

Kieran and I joined @Thin2win for an evening round at Sun Willows. I don't know that I've ever played 36 holes in a single day, and it was catching up with me on the back 9 - a lot of drives blocked out right, and a lot of putts coming up short. We were moving pretty quick (Arccos says our pace of play was 2:55) so I didn't take any pictures.

As we were adding up the scores in the parking lot, we realized that Kieran's 4-footer that lipped out on 18 was for an 89 - instead for the third time he matched his personal best score of 90. I managed to beat my little younger brother again, this time by just 1 stroke.

Round 3 - Canyon Lakes GC, Kennewick WA

Again, no photos from me here - one of the benefits of playing with the Arccos Caddie Link is that I can leave my phone in the cart for the most part, but the side effect is that I rarely have it handy to take a quick picture.

Kieran had to leave after the front nine and head back home for a friends wedding, so Chris dropped off his OneWheel at that point and joined me in the cart for the back nine, where we had a great time nerding out about golf balls, shafts, spin numbers, course management, and all other kinds of golf topics. I was striking the ball decently well and managed to hit 8 fairways, 9 GIRs, and 3 up-and-downs. Unfortunately what Chris likely remembers most about the round is my 5 3-putts, but my final score of 85 was still my best for the week.

Round 4 - Pasco Golfland, Pasco WA

After Canyon Lakes, Bill, Chris, and I grabbed some lunch and then headed over to a surprisingly nice 9-hole par 3 course next to the airport in Pasco. The notable highlight for me was the 171-yard 6th hole, where my 8-iron tee shot rolled just past the pin and settled inside of 3 feet. I think that's the KP benchmark for @DiscipleofPenick and the rest of the Ohio crew to beat when they get together!
IMG_4394.jpg.f92e5645fe1a59335aef2f0091358ce5.jpg

Round 5 - Wine Valley GC, Walla Walla WA

My last round of the trip was at the course I enjoyed the most - Wine Valley. The total absence of trees and significant structures (other than the club house) made aiming off the tee difficult at times, but the course style and conditions made for an amazing experience. It helped that I was hitting my driver and fairway woods well - I was averaging 265 yards with my driver (long of 291) and on 3 of the par 5 holes I was on or next to the green in 2. Unfortunately I carded a 9 on the 15th hole after struggling with some knee-deep fescue and deep bunkers (which are more like waste areas - they use the natural clay-silt soil instead of sand) and finished the round with an 86.

Here's Josh with an approach shot after a great drive on one of the par 4s:

And Tiffany with a tee shot on a par 3:
IMG_4407.jpg.63a475e5cf1b3d5c66a8d50f95abb119.jpg

🦅

And I would be remiss if, after all the pre-trip talk about eagles (or the lack thereof), I didn't give you all the eagle watch update. Surprisingly to me, over the 3 days that I played I had 4 looks at eagle, but unfortunately I still have yet to capture the majestic bird. One lip-out, two more in tap-in range, and a 66-footer that rolled past but never really had a chance. So for now, my profile picture remains the same and the hunt continues!

IMG_4409.JPG.f1c427eaece4856eb1ea9f630d8ba0fc.JPGIMG_4410.JPG.6a9a933ff04e89a0e77747b4f0bd2bea.JPGIMG_4411.JPG.a6d004f811fc9409034b871cac29260d.JPGIMG_4408.JPG.d6075c4c5400919b037d1f8732f1687b.JPG

Great to have you and Kieran join us this year!!  Really... you actually carry a tape measure with you??   🤣

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

PNW Spy Meet-up | Round 8 | Timberstone GC | Caldwell, ID 

Today I met up with @GrumpyGolf(Wayne) for a round at Timberstone.  We had a single join us and we had near perfect weather - though a little hot on the final stretch. This is a really nice course, well maintained, and a very reasonably price.  It's a little off the beat and track but not too bad.  My only negative score goes to them not having pin flags with logo's.... what's up with that? 😉

I carded a 44/41 with some local course knowledge help from both Wayne & Kevin.  There are some hidden trouble spots to navigate around.  I'm not sure what to make of the rather unique bunkers; other than hitting one of those railroad ties could yield some unexpected ball position. We had a great time and Wayne is ready for the 5th Annual PNW Spy Meet-up and willing to schedule a Boise area itinerary 👍.

TS1.jpg.873a5be4256d397c0141cb6dc788e7ac.jpgTS2.jpg.c9f51293f384fce9f692a36bb2893813.jpgTS3.jpg.49571b3bd701304ac9e83b0e7e94e3d7.jpgTS4.jpg.9bb4469442e55aab38057ddbe478b41c.jpgTS8.jpg.a46fe699b2cbb05fdcb20cfd69172c9f.jpgTS6.jpg.2e7f93994549f041764580dde518a370.jpgTS9.jpg.106e798aa06a05a0bfabe12a47588a37.jpg

TS5.jpg.933fa365c5ffb5800e0d45e9bd1551cf.jpg

Tomorrow is my final round of this whirlwind trip; Blackfoot ID's local municipal along the Snake River.  9 rounds (9 1/2 if I throw in the 9 hole Pasco exec) in 10 days... piece of cake 🤪.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

37 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

PNW Spy Meet-up | Round 8 | Timberstone GC | Caldwell, ID 

Today I met up with @GrumpyGolf(Wayne) for a round at Timberstone.  We had a single join us and we had near perfect weather - though a little hot on the final stretch. This is a really nice course, well maintained, and a very reasonably price.  It's a little off the beat and track but not too bad.  My only negative score goes to them not having pin flags with logo's.... what's up with that? 😉

I carded a 44/41 with some local course knowledge help from both Wayne & Kevin.  There are some hidden trouble spots to navigate around.  I'm not sure what to make of the rather unique bunkers; other than hitting one of those railroad ties could yield some unexpected ball position. We had a great time and Wayne is ready for the 5th Annual PNW Spy Meet-up and willing to schedule a Boise area itinerary 👍.

TS1.jpg.873a5be4256d397c0141cb6dc788e7ac.jpg

Tomorrow is my final round of this whirlwind trip; Blackfoot ID's local municipal along the Snake River.  9 rounds (9 1/2 if I throw in the 9 hole Pasco exec) in 10 days... piece of cake 🤪.

Thanks @fixyurdivot for a great time today.  I enjoyed it and meeting up with you was a blast.  Hopefully Kevin will join up on MSG since we seemed to be recruiting him pretty hard 🤣 We'll see.

Looking forward to next time and I am willing to be the host next year here in Boise.

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G410 10.5 degree ALTA CB 55 RED STIFF
Fairway: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 3 & 5
Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 4 & 5
Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 6 - P w/ Mitsubishi Rayon KURO KAGE Black Parallel Graphite Iron Shaft STIFF
Wedges: :edel-golf-1: Edel SMS 50, 54, 58 degree with KBS STIFF 2g/8g/10g Weight Setup
Putter: :odyssey-small: Odyssey Stroke Lab 7 Putter w/ Graphite & Steel Shaft and Pistol Grip
Ball: :bridgestone-small: Bridgestone Tour B X
GPS: :ShotScope: Shot Scope V3 w/ Trackers 

"You don't HAVE to go play golf, you GET to go play golf." 

- Harvey Penick

8 hours ago, GrumpyGolf said:

Thanks @fixyurdivot for a great time today.  I enjoyed it and meeting up with you was a blast.  Hopefully Kevin will join up on MSG since we seemed to be recruiting him pretty hard 🤣 We'll see.

Looking forward to next time and I am willing to be the host next year here in Boise.

LOL, yeah, I guess we were working on him pretty hard.  Thanks again for the after round beverage!

@gavinski91 mentioned "My last round of the trip was at the course I enjoyed the most - Wine Valley. The total absence of trees and significant structures (other than the club house) made aiming off the tee difficult at times, but the course style and conditions made for an amazing experience."

I never gave this much thought until now. I have always played courses with something to aim towards ( trees, telephone poles, features on a house in the background, mountain ridge or something) there is always something. I have played over 150 courses and in 25 states so far and there was always something! I think I would have a tough time adjusting. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

5 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

@gavinski91 mentioned "My last round of the trip was at the course I enjoyed the most - Wine Valley. The total absence of trees and significant structures (other than the club house) made aiming off the tee difficult at times, but the course style and conditions made for an amazing experience."

I never gave this much thought until now. I have always played courses with something to aim towards ( trees, telephone poles, features on a house in the background, mountain ridge or something) there is always something. I have played over 150 courses and in 25 states so far and there was always something! I think I would have a tough time adjusting. 

Most times there are clouds in the sky... but not this time!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 6/27/2022 at 5:10 PM, gavinski91 said:

And I would be remiss if, after all the pre-trip talk about eagles (or the lack thereof), I didn't give you all the eagle watch update. Surprisingly to me, over the 3 days that I played I had 4 looks at eagle, but unfortunately I still have yet to capture the majestic bird. One lip-out, two more in tap-in range, and a 66-footer that rolled past but never really had a chance. So for now, my profile picture remains the same and the hunt continues!

I could be wrong here but am betting/guessing that you will check off the first Big Bird before leaving the "Still Aceless Thread".  You (and Kiren) absolutely smoke golf balls.  At those hitting distances, you'll have many attempts.  When your putt on #18 at Appletree left the putter, I thought you had it.  Just getting to that green in two shots from the blue tees was pretty impressive. For our readers, #18 has a seriously legit elevated green... I should know... I walked up that mountain 😆

• 1 month later...
On 6/27/2022 at 4:32 PM, Kenny B said:

you actually carry a tape measure with you??   🤣

You Dont'??? @gavinski91's look like a 25 footer.. Mine has a HUGE reel with it... hahahahah.. seriously though You don't... let me guess you also caught a fish >----------------------------------< thiiiiiiiiiiiis big.. lol..

Looks like a great weekend, sorry I couldn't make it.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

2 hours ago, Reesedw said:

You Dont'??? @gavinski91's look like a 25 footer.. Mine has a HUGE reel with it... hahahahah.. seriously though You don't... let me guess you also caught a fish >----------------------------------< thiiiiiiiiiiiis big.. lol..

Looks like a great weekend, sorry I couldn't make it.. 

NO I don't!!  After 3 aces I don't need to measure how close I came anymore.  😂.  And YES the fish can be as big as I want it to be.  🤣

We will get together one of these days.  

If anyone in the North Seattle area near Snohomish want to get out for a round next Friday afternoon Aug 5 after 1pm, I need to stretch my legs after driving for 4+ hours.