TESTERS WANTED! ×

DiscipleofPenick's PXG 0211 Driver Unofficial Review

DiscipleofPenick

Well I finally got out to the course for 3 "rounds" it's not golf yet, but I've put a fair number of swings on it. If you've read my posts in the How'd You Play thread, you know what I'm talking about. Course #1 had 45 mph winds, #2 was completely unmown though temps were in the low 80s, and #3 was kind of golf but my driver swing was missing. None of this has anything to do with the performance of the driver, but I want everyone to understand that everything so far has been in sub-optimal conditions. And yes I know I need to add photos of on-course looks and results.

So far I am liking this driver. I'm not noticing any distance difference from my Titleist that's been in the bag for 8 years. I am already really enjoying the look at address and the sound it makes when I have contact. I also notice much more feel, especially on toe hits, than compared to the Titleist. Now that I can tee the ball at the height I want, i am finding the center of the clubface more. Though I'm still noticing a much lower ball flight that with the old driver. But I don't think it's a bad thing, I'm just used to seeing a much higher driver flight than what's current. I'm not hitting a consistent shot with it, but early in the season, and unless my hook swing shows up, like on Saturday, I'm not losing shots with this club. I'll keep it going and there's a tournament the Thursday before Memorial Day, so I've got several weeks to get this dialed in. And I will be going for a lesson if I need help.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

• 2 weeks later...

I've played 27 more holes with this driver and I found something in my last 18 holes. After having a round and few holes where my old hook-miss came back I changed my setup. I had watched some of the Me & My Golf videos on YouTube and I remembered the ones with Fleetwood & McIlroy talking about their drives, and how they set up behind the ball to make sure they hit up on it. So I set up the way I saw them in the videos and boom - hook is gone and the height I'm used to seeing on the drives is back too. So the confidence in the club continues to grow. Though I did leave a few out to the right, which I'm sure was aided by the 1.5* flat setting I have the driver in.

So when I played 9 holes last night, I set it back to standard which was 10.5* and I didn't lose anything to the right and the last 2 drives of the night were the exact shot shape I like to see. I think I'm going to leave the driver at standard for the next few rounds, but I am also intrigued by the PXG setting, which is standard loft 3* flat. I'd just like to see what kind of ball flight that gives me.

There was also a happy coincidence last night. As me and my buddy just went out to a local course to follow around the leagues, we were paired up. The one guy had also bought a new PXG driver this winter. He had the 0311 with the HZRDUS Smoke Yellow in X. Which was the other shaft I considered when I ordered the 0211, but I was concerned about switching to a counterbalance shaft as I've never swung one. So we hit each others drivers on a few holes. His was set at 8* standard, and I was pretty surprised how high I hit it. Though the yellow shaft didn't really feel any different than my black. I guess I could feel a little bit of weight in the hands, but not that different. I probably could have picked this shaft and been ok, but I am happy with my choice of the Smoke Black. There's a tournament in 2 weeks, so I'll have a lot more rounds and updates posted soon, plus the first test of the 0211 in competition.

Take Dead Aim

I've also noticed more feedback from the 0211 driver  head.  I can tell from the sound whether I've hit it in the center, heel, or toe of the face.  Toe hits have, for me at least, a higher, more "ting-ey" sound and if I'm toward the heel the sound is much more of a "thud".  I find it helpful to have those auditory differences.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

I agree with that @Bobbers. My misses are either low on the face or a toe strike. I definitely know when I hit either.  

Take Dead Aim

• 1 month later...

Performance & On the Course:

Sorry for the break in posting, but after playing this driver for the past month, and giving it a real test in a tournament, I am ready to provide my final thoughts.

I don’t use ShotScope or Arccos, so I can’t provide exact numbers for MGS, but I will say my swing speed is around 107 (based on a fitting). And I have noticed a slight distance increase with this over my former Titleist 915. In my last few rounds I hit some drives that got up around 290. My average is around 265-275. I also have this driver set to neutral or standard position. The Titleist I played in B4, which was +1.5 loft and 1 Flat, the anti-hook setting. So that being considered the PXG seems to be a straighter driver as well. 

On the course I am quickly gaining confidence and comfort with the 0211. If something is going wrong, it’s a bad setup or a bad swing on my part, I can't fault the club for either of those things. When swinging correctly, I am hitting my preferred draw shape. And when I screw up, I get stuck inside and pull hook on everything. Again, not the fault of the PXG, I will hook anything when that happens. Overall I would say the club is more forgiving than the Titleist. I also think the PXG looks fantastic at address.

U1K8j6zwhxvfRFUQQMKLM_YJhXJvvdTIY0FZZ7336xPc7S6cKUW1uhXv0sYoLCxPvZdsu1-iZUg1fLwCgRwhkr-fr4HjsJmuovGd5hmrahWNkuMjg73Gk1EyBocBQL7kvrAem-1i8eanahkVKg

trsNYR3o20wUflXkSllEulUdwM-oBUpu22D_JnfXSaqltRSlJPgHjfSNP8g9j-DyC_GQEZNyTOHjGzsv-Ef5VVm-ltZrNzflBGdJBSnjCH2rEcYYkLZbGNRje18bAhkxNRIWzl8qjA70M5ZSZQ

The Numbers: 4 out of 5

On The Course: 4 out of 5

The Good, the Bad, the Inbetween:

Honestly I only have good things to say. The driver was delivered within a week of ordering, which is still a problem for most OEMs. I was able to research the details on the club and shaft options without any issue. Though I went through GolfWorks and mfg sites for that information. I love the all black look of the club and I’ve had zero issues. After about 10 rounds I’m feeling pretty confident with the driver and it didn’t let me down in the tournament I played. The only bad thing I have to say about PXG is that the upcharge on different grips seems absurd. The MCC +4 would have been an extra $30. I am fine with the standard Lamkin grip that came with the driver. 

Also, if you want a PXG fitting there are two things. First, you need to hope there is an official fitter close to you, there aren’t as many available as the other OEMs. PXG runs its fittings through local area reps, not through courses. So, it is up to you to reach out to the rep and schedule a fitting, not the facility that hosts the fitting.

Good, Bad, Inbetween: 4 out of 5

Play it or Trade it?:

This driver is staying in the bag! If I can pick up a $200 driver that performs just as well, if not slightly better, than a $500 Titleist, is there anything to think about? Even without getting fit, I’ve been able to get this club set up in a way that works for me, and it has mitigated some of my mistakes. I’m not going to rant about how great PXG is, but this driver proves to me they are a smaller brand that should be seriously considered when purchasing new clubs. I think with the right shaft, the 0211 Driver would work for anyone who is seeking improved performance, or a new driver, while staying on a budget.

Play It? Yes! 5 out of 5

Conclusion:

I think this is a well made club that performs just as well as anything else from the bigger OEMs. I went into this knowing that a new driver would not be life changing, but just an upgrade from an outdated model. I think it does that, as my confidence and play is just as good with this as it was with my previous driver. I feel like I am keeping the ball in play more and doing a better job of mitigating misses. It’s hard to beat a driver at this price of $200, and anyone, not just those on a budget or looking for their first new club, should consider this driver. Like any new club, it took some time getting used to but now I have the confidence to go play any length course with this in my bag. Go check out PXG yourself and thanks for reading!

Overall: 26 out of 30

P.S.- - Here’s a video of my swing with the PXG. And a photo of the result of that swing. It was a 410 yard par 4 into a 1-club wind and I’m sitting right by the 150 marker in the center of the fairway. And yes I saw myself up on my toes at impact and I didn’t know I was doing that and since have corrected it.

2Z88pq_uCbNMGzEcDfB2oM6RFiyay4s_9Fc5GaAJPYjj087Q79s2csbpgvr5f6kL9ES24KN_QuGou7VDlQ6Gr0So9wzShJpDG3HjKw1SHjiXidHdq7-4zn3EWnHdgudGSy7WY0FnIyVxSFJIxQ

Take Dead Aim

• 3 months later...

I just ordered the 0211 10.5 today for $119.00 and free shipping! Can’t wait to put it in play! 

Driver - Titleist TSi3 9.0  (Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 6.0)

3 wood - TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15 (Ventus Blue 7S)

5 wood - TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19 (Ventus Blue 7S)

Irons - Titleist T100s 4-PW + 49 (KBS $-Taper)

Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM9 54D (KBS 610) & 58M (KBS 610)

Putter - Titleist Scotty Cameron - Phantom X 11.5

Ball - Titleist Pro V1 & Taylormade Tour Response (Blue/Pink Stripe)

8 hours ago, Billy-Bo-Jim-Bob said:

I just ordered the 0211 10.5 today for $119.00 and free shipping! Can’t wait to put it in play! 

That's a crazy low price for this club. I've just gotten better with it all season and it's not coming out of the bag anytime soon. Good luck and I hope you enjoy it.

Take Dead Aim

I may be pulling the trigger on one if I can get it arranged to be shipped to Germany. They don't ship to Switzerland so I'll have to do a bit of a round about way to get it, but could be make a good Challenger for my bag.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)