DiscipleofPenick's PXG 0211 Driver Unofficial Review

2 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

As the driver is already on it's way, I wanted to keep this going and post Part II. This is my first impressions interacting with PXG and the ordering process. I should have the driver on Wednesday, so look for my unboxing post sometime on March 9.

Ordering the driver was simple enough. The PXG website interface was easy to use. Very clearly marked selection options and easy to select the components I wanted. I will note that they only have 5 or 6 shaft manufacturers available, but this did not impact my choices as I found a shaft that supposedly matches my current gamer. I did check out the manufacturer websites and GolfWorks to get detailed information on the shafts. I had considered the Smoke Yellow, but seeing it was counterbalanced, I decided not to as I’ve never swung a counterbalanced shaft. 

yo4NqIrKCZajd9cWnYG47U49dEYbXXzXYeY9y-bGMueDs2z-9iPCUsa5QD8NhJyNdIj3A1osyKR8YitHoL7OVSBp7cHW_GSQeRLfxfxfahBdjRRet7Gpx-jcz7wT8UAi1z2mig-p

Something that seemed off to me was the grip options. Not for lacking, but cost. Selecting any option other than the PXG grip was a $30 upcharge. I consider that excessive for grips that are under $10. They do not offer the MCC+4 grip that I use currently. I also do not recall seeing any place I could enter notes if I wanted to put extra wraps on the grip or have something else changed. Shipping via FedEx ground for $17, which I think is a fair price. They offer faster air or two-day shipping if someone is interested. 

Within moments of my order being placed, I received my confirmation email with order number and tracking. The tracking has already updated that my club is being built. PXG said two weeks total from order submission to arrival at my front door, and it looks like I'll have in within 10 days. Given the known issues other OEMs report with getting clubs, I think this is a great thing for PXG to be able to guarantee.

AZ8Y-Zu26xNOMcI59uvLWcGTrxYq886kOye4uUhwJlW1Ff-BTUsoBhqyau13-2S_YlYgU-4emQT8sder6EOQ9is3NOidaLyPcv7fq1A6QZKr1VDtT1yoQ_BI2dOjPWlGRkjFrDa5

I will post a ton of photos when the driver arrives and the whole unboxing. Until then I hope you’re interested and I’ll answer questions, to keep the discussion going.

Thanks for reading!

We ordered my wife's 0211 DC irons over the phone; the guy at PXG seemed very knowledgeable once I started asking questions about shaft options, SW, launch, and grips.  We opted to have them ship their PXG grips uninstalled because my wife likes the Pure Tour Wrap midsize grips, and I didn't want to spend time removing new grips.  We got their Oversize grips based on his recommendation, and as it turned out the PXG Oversize is about the same size as the Pure Midsize.  When we got the irons, I installed (with air) her irons with the Pures and a couple of the PXG grips for her to try for a few days; she liked them so pulled the Pures and installed the remaining PXG grips.

• Like 4

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

While I understand your point on the cost/supply of grips, I see it differently. The stock shaft I ordered retails for $225 through Maltby. That's more than the entire driver cost. If PXG is able to offer that expensive a shaft at $0 upcharge, then they should be able to offer grips for considerably less. 

The shaft is mass produced by PX and is a no upcharge in pretty much every brand that sells drivers because they all buy that shaft in very large quantities. So that is why you will see that shaft and several others at no upcharge. You also are forgetting that the driver retails for $299 but has been on sale at various price points from PXG and is actually $179 right now and not the $199 you paid for it.

Golf pride has been backorder on many of their grips, especially the popular ones. They are harder to make in large quantities and for brands to order in the larger quantities that they are used to. Many clubs right now are still on back order due to grip being unavailable. So the price increase isn’t really that surprising and if you look across many consumer products it falls inline with severe price increases 

• Like 2

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

We ordered my wife's 0211 DC irons over the phone; the guy at PXG seemed very knowledgeable once I started asking questions about shaft options, SW, launch, and grips.  We opted to have them ship their PXG grips uninstalled because my wife likes the Pure Tour Wrap midsize grips, and I didn't want to spend time removing new grips.  We got their Oversize grips based on his recommendation, and as it turned out the PXG Oversize is about the same size as the Pure Midsize.  When we got the irons, I installed (with air) her irons with the Pures and a couple of the PXG grips for her to try for a few days; she liked them so pulled the Pures and installed the remaining PXG grips.

Their online fitters are actual fitters and are located around the country. I’ve talked with two different ones in the last year or so and both were very knowledgeable and helpful. It’s also cool that they reach out later on to see how things are going with an order and if you need help with anything else 

• Like 3

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

7 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

As the driver is already on it's way, I wanted to keep this going and post Part II. This is my first impressions interacting with PXG and the ordering process. I should have the driver on Wednesday, so look for my unboxing post sometime on March 9.

Ordering the driver was simple enough. The PXG website interface was easy to use. Very clearly marked selection options and easy to select the components I wanted. I will note that they only have 5 or 6 shaft manufacturers available, but this did not impact my choices as I found a shaft that supposedly matches my current gamer. I did check out the manufacturer websites and GolfWorks to get detailed information on the shafts. I had considered the Smoke Yellow, but seeing it was counterbalanced, I decided not to as I’ve never swung a counterbalanced shaft. 

yo4NqIrKCZajd9cWnYG47U49dEYbXXzXYeY9y-bGMueDs2z-9iPCUsa5QD8NhJyNdIj3A1osyKR8YitHoL7OVSBp7cHW_GSQeRLfxfxfahBdjRRet7Gpx-jcz7wT8UAi1z2mig-p

Something that seemed off to me was the grip options. Not for lacking, but cost. Selecting any option other than the PXG grip was a $30 upcharge. I consider that excessive for grips that are under $10. They do not offer the MCC+4 grip that I use currently. I also do not recall seeing any place I could enter notes if I wanted to put extra wraps on the grip or have something else changed. Shipping via FedEx ground for $17, which I think is a fair price. They offer faster air or two-day shipping if someone is interested. 

Within moments of my order being placed, I received my confirmation email with order number and tracking. The tracking has already updated that my club is being built. PXG said two weeks total from order submission to arrival at my front door, and it looks like I'll have in within 10 days. Given the known issues other OEMs report with getting clubs, I think this is a great thing for PXG to be able to guarantee.

AZ8Y-Zu26xNOMcI59uvLWcGTrxYq886kOye4uUhwJlW1Ff-BTUsoBhqyau13-2S_YlYgU-4emQT8sder6EOQ9is3NOidaLyPcv7fq1A6QZKr1VDtT1yoQ_BI2dOjPWlGRkjFrDa5

I will post a ton of photos when the driver arrives and the whole unboxing. Until then I hope you’re interested and I’ll answer questions, to keep the discussion going.

Thanks for reading!

I have the Project X Evenflo Riptide CB shaft.  It is very smooth in its transition on the downswing.

• Like 2

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft & 0811 XF w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Titleist T300 48* GW w/Fubuki MV Senior shaft and Edison forged 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33”   Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip or Ping Ketsch

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope V3 and MG4000 Rangefinder

21 hours ago, fozcycle said:

I have a 39 yr old daughter that is pregnant and having a gender reveal party this weekend.

Congrats, Grandpa 😉!!!! 

• Like 1

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..PXG Gen5 0811XF (PX EvenFlow Riptide CB 50/5.0 or Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue 45/A)
..Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 (UST ProForce V2-HL 5/F3)
..Callaway Rogue ST Max OS 4H (PX Cypher Black 50/5.0)
..Callaway Big Bertha 5H (Recoil ZT9 460/F3)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT 60/A) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
..EvnRoll ER5 or MLA XDream (..Edel EAS 4.0 on the bench)
..all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

If only you had gotten your driver a few days earlier to take advantage of the weather we had this weekend!

• Like 4

:ping-small: G425 LST 10.5 Aldilla Rogue White 70s

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder Tour Spec

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 50,54, and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:taylormade-small:Spider Tour Putter

Vice Pro Plus White or Titleist ProV1x

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

:CaddyTek: V8 3 Wheel Push Cart

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

1 hour ago, RollingGreens said:

If only you had gotten your driver a few days earlier to take advantage of the weather we had this weekend!

I know! Thankfully it's just fake spring, April 2 is go time, maybe we get a little lucky. But I told myself I wouldn't push in the early part of the year.

• Like 4

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: Titleist 714CB 4-PW

Wedges: Vokey SM5 & SM6 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Buy this driver while it's available at that price new.....now. I've had mine in 9° with a Hzrdus Smoke Yellow stiff shaft for 6 months and it out performs everything I've tried since. It consistently either keeps up or flat out drives everybody I play with no matter what they use. It's as forgiving as a Ping and as long as my Taylormade drivers from the M2 on. I'm no PXG fanboy. I play M2 fairway woods, Mizuno irons, and Titleist wedges. The 0211 just works and for less than half the price of those other brands. Frankly I don't know why anybody would buy one of the "premium" PXG drivers. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Justanumber said:

Buy this driver while it's available at that price new.....now. I've had mine in 9° with a Hzrdus Smoke Yellow stiff shaft for 6 months and it out performs everything I've tried since. It consistently either keeps up or flat out drives everybody I play with no matter what they use. It's as forgiving as a Ping and as long as my Taylormade drivers from the M2 on. I'm no PXG fanboy. I play M2 fairway woods, Mizuno irons, and Titleist wedges. The 0211 just works and for less than half the price of those other brands. Frankly I don't know why anybody would buy one of the "premium" PXG drivers. 

I hope my experience is as good as yours, and welcome to the forum. What's your opinion of the counterbalanced shaft? How different does it feel? Had you swung one before?

• Like 2

Take Dead Aim

As far as the shaft goes it's stated properties are identical to the  custom shafts I've had on two of my previous drivers. I'm an 8 handicap, 65 years old but still swing at slightly over 100, and average about 270 on my drives. The shaft works for me but I will be the first to admit that the fact it was not an upgrade at a premium price was a huge factor in my choice of staying with it. The combination of it's 45" length, proven shaft quality, and the ability to change head weights makes this driver perfect for my game. I did order a lighter back weight (2.5g vs. The standard 10g) which immediately increased my swing speed and allowed me to square up the face better. The weights are cheap and PXG sends them in a couple of weeks. Again I don't take price into account when purchasing clubs. My irons were $1300, my wedges $160 each, and I play a $400 Scotty putter. I play what works and I'm not embarrassed to hit a "cheap" driver when I can often stripe it past my friends off the tee who are hitting their $500+ wonder sticks.

• Like 2

On 3/4/2022 at 8:49 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

The shaft is mass produced by PX and is a no upcharge in pretty much every brand that sells drivers because they all buy that shaft in very large quantities. So that is why you will see that shaft and several others at no upcharge. You also are forgetting that the driver retails for $299 but has been on sale at various price points from PXG and is actually $179 right now and not the $199 you paid for it.

Golf pride has been backorder on many of their grips, especially the popular ones. They are harder to make in large quantities and for brands to order in the larger quantities that they are used to. Many clubs right now are still on back order due to grip being unavailable. So the price increase isn’t really that surprising and if you look across many consumer products it falls inline with severe price increases 

$179??  My wife has been looking all weekend; the website still shows $199.  Also, she's not sure whether a FW or hybrid is a better choice at 21-22º.  She is currently playing a 21º RBZ Stage 2 FW, then a 5H.  I'm not sure if she has ever hit a hybrid lower than 24º.

• Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

7 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

$179??  My wife has been looking all weekend; the website still shows $199.  Also, she's not sure whether a FW or hybrid is a better choice at 21-22º.  She is currently playing a 21º RBZ Stage 2 FW, then a 5H.  I'm not sure if she has ever hit a hybrid lower than 24º.

That’s the hero pricing. FW due to size will offer more forgiveness and will be easier to get in the air 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

That’s the hero pricing. FW due to size will offer more forgiveness and will be easier to get in the air 

Thanks.  Except for me... I have a difficult time with FW.  I can hit a 17º hybrid higher than an 18º 5W and just as far; same brand, same shaft.  My confidence with a hybrid is about 90%; FW is about 50%.  

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Justanumber said:

As far as the shaft goes it's stated properties are identical to the  custom shafts I've had on two of my previous drivers. I'm an 8 handicap, 65 years old but still swing at slightly over 100, and average about 270 on my drives. The shaft works for me but I will be the first to admit that the fact it was not an upgrade at a premium price was a huge factor in my choice of staying with it. The combination of it's 45" length, proven shaft quality, and the ability to change head weights makes this driver perfect for my game. I did order a lighter back weight (2.5g vs. The standard 10g) which immediately increased my swing speed and allowed me to square up the face better. The weights are cheap and PXG sends them in a couple of weeks. Again I don't take price into account when purchasing clubs. My irons were $1300, my wedges $160 each, and I play a $400 Scotty putter. I play what works and I'm not embarrassed to hit a "cheap" driver when I can often stripe it past my friends off the tee who are hitting their $500+ wonder sticks.

Thanks. The price is a major reason I bought this driver. My current gamer is a Titleist 915D3, so at that time I did get a fitting and dropped $500 on the wonder stick. Now I have a kid and with the price increases, $600+ (once you including fitting fee, possible shaft upcharge, and tax) isn't viable to spend. Obviously I'm not an early adopter, but it is time for a new driver. While I wish I could buy new clubs beyond my wedges & this driver, everything else in my bag is off eBay.

Thanks for the info on the counterbalance shaft. Next time I get fitted for a driver, I'll give on a try. I am curious about it, but I didn't want to make a big change right now.  

• Like 2

Take Dead Aim

My delivery date has been pushed back to Friday...😭 Oh well still inside the 2 week window. Guess the unboxing will have to wait a few more days. I'm sure you're all tingling with Antici....................................pation.

• Like 3

Take Dead Aim

It's HERE! Showed up on my lunch break. Should have photos and first impression up later tonight (tomorrow AM at latest).

• Like 6

Take Dead Aim

25 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

It's HERE! Showed up on my lunch break. Should have photos and first impression up later tonight (tomorrow AM at latest).

Always a great and exciting day when new clubs show up. 

• Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

6 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Looking forward to your reactions once you get to hit balls with it.  I find I like the counterbalanced shafts for whatever reason.  Pretty much every one I've used has feel, for lack of a better term, "smooth".  Added advantage for me is it lets me build my clubs longer without having to use quite as much extra weight in the butt of the shaft to get the swing weight I'm after.

• Like 3

PXG 0211  12*  Paderson Kinetixx A flex

PXG 0211 5 and 7 Woods  Paderson Kinetixx A Flex

PXG 0211 5 and 5 Hybrids  MMT A Flex

Cobra 7 Hybrid  A Flex

PXG 8,9,PW,GW Vista Pro A Flex

Cleveland CBX 54/12

Edel EAS 4 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft

18 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Mate, it's 9:11am, what are you doing?

• Haha 3

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSi2 Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 6.0
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: Fli Hi 3 & 4 Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 80 6.0

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :mizuno-small: RB Tour or RB Tour X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

41 minutes ago, MattF said:

Mate, it's 9:11am, what are you doing?

You can't rush greatness Matty.😜

• Haha 3

Take Dead Aim