TESTERS WANTED! ×

PXG Gen 5 Irons Conforming List!

in4par

I'll be interested to see photos and descriptions of what makes them different from preceding models.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

9 minutes ago, Bobbers said:

I'll be interested to see photos and descriptions of what makes them different from preceding models.

You can see basic images on the conforming list. Here is a link to one of the models, you can search the others if interested 

https://www.usga.org/InfoClubsDB/ResultDisplay.aspx?clubtype=Iron&Manf=PXG-Parsons Xtreme Golf&Prod=PXG 0311T Gen5

From a difference perspective,  they are fine tuning the weight placement,  sound, and feel.  If it is anything like past models they are distance centric and lower spinning. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 hours ago, in4par said:

Saw the PXG Gen 5 Irons on USGA Conforming List!  They look nice.  Reading 4/1 release?   Looking forward to MGC review sooner than later.  

Who is MGC?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Just now, RickyBobby_PR said:

Who is MGC?

I am guessing he typo’d MGS.   

no PXG in players irons; I think GI is up next but haven’t seen any PXG boxes at HQ but I don’t often climb up to the storage area.  

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, in4par said:

MGS typo. 👍🏻👍🏻    Reading 4/1 release.  🎉🎊

Not sure MGS will do a review and best case would be part of most wanted which isn’t really a review

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I really like my Gen 3 0311 P's, so I am looking forward to this release.  Having said that, I can't see paying the full price when they first come out.  I'm too much of a club ho.  If I kept a set of irons for a number of years I might be willing to pay big prices for them.  It seems the looks of PXG irons are a love 'em or hate 'em proposition.  I am on the fence.  I would prefer a cleaner look in the back of my irons but the look at address and the performance are spot on.  I do hope you can get the Gen 5's with chrome or silver pieces behind the screws instead of the black shown.  Of course, it will be a few years before that matters to me.😁

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

20220151.jpg20220154.jpg20220152.jpg

I have always like the look of PXG irons, but these are....something else.  Not sure why they felt the need to use the different colors for heel and toe but it isn't exactly pleasing to the eye.  I wonder if they will let you order them with matching colors?  I think these would be OK if they just had the normal matching heel/toe with opposite colored screws.

18 minutes ago, ChitownM2 said:

I have always like the look of PXG irons, but these are....something else.  Not sure why they felt the need to use the different colors for heel and toe but it isn't exactly pleasing to the eye.  I wonder if they will let you order them with matching colors?  I think these would be OK if they just had the normal matching heel/toe with opposite colored screws.

I like the look. It kinda highlights the sweet spot to my eye. I’ve never hit their irons before. I’m curious to see what my trackman numbers look like compared to my new gen Taylormade P790s. 

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Max LS with Autoflex X-stiff 

3-Wood: :ping-small: 425 Max w/ KBS TD 60

Irons: :taylormade-small:P790 w/ X-stiff True Temper DG 105

Hybrids::taylormade-small: DHY Utility Irons 4 & 5

Wedges::taylormade-small: MG3 w/ KBS Black Wedge Shaft (50, 54,58)

Putter: Cure RX5 w/ P2 React Grip

1 hour ago, ChitownM2 said:

I actually like this setup, especially the black elite 

6 hours ago, cnosil said:

You can see basic images on the conforming list. Here is a link to one of the models, you can search the others if interested 

https://www.usga.org/InfoClubsDB/ResultDisplay.aspx?clubtype=Iron&Manf=PXG-Parsons Xtreme Golf&Prod=PXG 0311T Gen5

From a difference perspective,  they are fine tuning the weight placement,  sound, and feel.  If it is anything like past models they are distance centric and lower spinning. 

Thanks for the link.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

On 3/9/2022 at 1:25 PM, ChitownM2 said:

Order the Gen 4's at a fraction of the price. 

Gen 5 doesn't look to be vastly different...and to be honest, not sure there's a vast difference between Gen 1 for that matter!  They are all beautiful irons!

PXG 0811X Proto 9*

Ping G30 3 Wood

Ping G20 17* Hybrid

Ping K15 3, 4 Hybrids

Ping 2010 Anser Forged 5-W

Taylormade Hi Toe 54, 58

Ping Zing 2 BeCu

1 hour ago, ExTrumpet said:

Order the Gen 4's at a fraction of the price. 

Gen 5 doesn't look to be vastly different...and to be honest, not sure there's a vast difference between Gen 1 for that matter!  They are all beautiful irons!

I'm not in the market for buying any irons and if I was, even then Gen 4 would be way out of my price range.  

Agree that there probably isn't much difference between each release.  It is kind of odd to see PXG doing that at this price point, every other manufacturer has a 2 year or more cycle on all their irons except TM, Callaway, & Cobra and for those it's usually only their GI line.

41 minutes ago, ChitownM2 said:

I'm not in the market for buying any irons and if I was, even then Gen 4 would be way out of my price range.  

Agree that there probably isn't much difference between each release.  It is kind of odd to see PXG doing that at this price point, every other manufacturer has a 2 year or more cycle on all their irons except TM, Callaway, & Cobra and for those it's usually only their GI line.

Gen4s will drop when gen5 release. What will be interesting to see if they drop gen2 and 3 as well

There have been changes in feel and sound each release. Launch, spin, ball speed have had noticeable changes each release too.

15 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Gen4s will drop when gen5 release. What will be interesting to see if they drop gen2 and 3 as well

There have been changes in feel and sound each release. Launch, spin, ball speed have had noticeable changes each release too.

Have the changes been a huge change, or subtle?  And are the launch, spin, and ball-speed changes the results of stronger lofts, because all of those can be achieved with stronger lofts...feel and sound not so much!

That said, I have my eyes set on a set of Gen 3's...I love the old T-zoid look!

PXG 0811X Proto 9*

Ping G30 3 Wood

Ping G20 17* Hybrid

Ping K15 3, 4 Hybrids

Taylormade Hi Toe 54, 58

Ping Zing 2 BeCu

15 minutes ago, ExTrumpet said:

Have the changes been a huge change, or subtle?  And are the launch, spin, and ball-speed changes the results of stronger lofts, because all of those can be achieved with stronger lofts...feel and sound not so much!

That said, I have my eyes set on a set of Gen 3's...I love the old T-zoid look!

The changes aren’t due to loft differences because they stayed the same from release to release. The design and technology changed. 

PXG puts a lot of information on their site that for some reason many people don’t go look at before they make comments about the brand, then again that applies for most brands depending on the conversation.

Here is their comparison for Gen 1-3. Scroll down a bit to the comparison section 

https://www.pxg.com/en-us/clubs/irons/gen3

3 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The changes aren’t due to loft differences because they stayed the same from release to release. The design and technology changed. 

PXG puts a lot of information on their site that for some reason many people don’t go look at before they make comments about the brand, then again that applies for most brands depending on the conversation.

Here is their comparison for Gen 1-3. Scroll down a bit to the comparison section 

Thanks, I'm definitely a fan of PXG.

PXG 0811X Proto 9*

Ping G30 3 Wood

Ping G20 17* Hybrid

Ping K15 3, 4 Hybrids

Taylormade Hi Toe 54, 58

Ping Zing 2 BeCu

7 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Wow. They definitely seem to give way more details than other OEMs. I appreciate the generation comparisons and the explanations of what the terms mean. I’d never really poked around their site because of the high price but I’ll definitely give them a look the next time I buy irons off the strength of their transparency. I’ll be the guy with $3K irons who can’t break 80 😅

15 hours ago, jfull1914 said:

Wow. They definitely seem to give way more details than other OEMs. I appreciate the generation comparisons and the explanations of what the terms mean. I’d never really poked around their site because of the high price but I’ll definitely give them a look the next time I buy irons off the strength of their transparency. I’ll be the guy with $3K irons who can’t break 80 😅

Their prices currently are very competitive, especially for their year-old stuff.

PXG 0811X Proto 9*

Ping G30 3 Wood

Ping G20 17* Hybrid

Ping K15 3, 4 Hybrids

Taylormade Hi Toe 54, 58

Ping Zing 2 BeCu

3 minutes ago, ExTrumpet said:

Their prices currently are very competitive, especially for their year-old stuff.

Haha I’m not someone who can buy clubs that I know are a year old. I would never be happy. I always want the latest and greatest. 

5 minutes ago, jfull1914 said:

Haha I’m not someone who can buy clubs that I know are a year old. I would never be happy. I always want the latest and greatest. 

What does the "latest and greatest" do for your game that last years model won't?   Since you can't play clubs that are a year old,  what performance improvements do you get from buying new clubs every year?

37 minutes ago, cnosil said:

What does the "latest and greatest" do for your game that last years model won't?   Since you can't play clubs that are a year old,  what performance improvements do you get from buying new clubs every year?

I didn’t say I buy new clubs every year. I said that I can’t buy clubs that I know are old. Not the same thing. I buy new irons about every 3-4 years, and when I do, I want the latest model. When PXG first came out, I was a broke grad student, so that’s why they were never on my radar. But now, I can afford to buy the newest irons, so that’s what I’d want. 

It’s the same as buying a used car for me. I’m just not someone who can do that, especially if the current model looks drastically different than the used model. I’d rather wait until I can afford the new car that I really want. I won’t be happy knowing I have something that’s less than what I really want. I don’t like settling.*

*There are SOME cars that I’d buy used but those are generally in the super car price range lol. And yes, I’m aware of depreciation of new cars, but I value my happiness and satisfaction more than I care about theoretical money lost. 

35 minutes ago, jfull1914 said:

I didn’t say I buy new clubs every year. I said that I can’t buy clubs that I know are old. Not the same thing. I buy new irons about every 3-4 years, and when I do, I want the latest model. When PXG first came out, I was a broke grad student, so that’s why they were never on my radar. But now, I can afford to buy the newest irons, so that’s what I’d want. 

It’s the same as buying a used car for me. I’m just not someone who can do that, especially if the current model looks drastically different than the used model. I’d rather wait until I can afford the new car that I really want. I won’t be happy knowing I have something that’s less than what I really want. I don’t like settling.*

*There are SOME cars that I’d buy used but those are generally in the super car price range lol. And yes, I’m aware of depreciation of new cars, but I value my happiness and satisfaction more than I care about theoretical money lost. 

We aren't talking used,  we were talking prior year model.   If buying the latest and greatest makes you happy then that is what you should do.

2 hours ago, jfull1914 said:

Tell me you aren’t familiar with a brand without telling me you aren’t familiar with a brand.

PXG offers previous releases at a discounted price. They currently have both Gen3 and Gen4 for purchase. They had gen2 for awhile til they were out of inventory. It will be the same when gen 5 releases. Gen3 will be around as long as they have inventory, there will eventually be a price reduction on gen4

3 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Tell me you aren’t familiar with a brand without telling me you aren’t familiar with a brand.

PXG offers previous releases at a discounted price. They currently have both Gen3 and Gen4 for purchase. They had gen2 for awhile til they were out of inventory. It will be the same when gen 5 releases. Gen3 will be around as long as they have inventory, there will eventually be a price reduction on gen4

What are you even talking about??? It’s not even relevant to my comments. You just thought you dunked on somebody. I said I only want the latest gen of any equipment I buy, and here you go being loud and wrong. Beat it bum! 

55 minutes ago, cnosil said:

We aren't talking used,  we were talking prior year model.   If buying the latest and greatest makes you happy then that is what you should do.

I used “old” in reference to the clubs being prior gen, I didn’t say used.

I used the used car example to explain that I won’t be happy with older models if the new model is what I really want. image.gif.361d89d767a0a3288f1547d168e983f6.gif

1 hour ago, jfull1914 said:

I used the used car example to explain that I won’t be happy with older models if the new model is what I really want. 

Then why even bring up used cars at all;  you simply wouldn't be happy with a prior year even if it was new.    Either way you are free to spend your money on whatever you want; I really don't care.