TESTERS WANTED! ×

Please consider reviews of equipment and footwear for female golfers

dpg1221

This is a great site and provides a wealth of research data on all things golf (except, that is, golf stuff for female golfers). I realize that the primary target market is male golfers, but once in a while it would be nice to see reviews on products for female golfers.

Thanks, dg

D.P. Gray

10 minutes ago, dpg1221 said:

This is a great site and provides a wealth of research data on all things golf (except, that is, golf stuff for female golfers). I realize that the primary target market is male golfers, but once in a while it would be nice to see reviews on products for female golfers.

Thanks, dg

Great suggestion,  this is an untapped market for MGS.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

1 hour ago, dpg1221 said:

Thanks, dg

Great suggestion!  And @tony@CIC is right.

What my wife and I have found is that when new shoes come out and reviews are made, the same shoe for ladies is not available... until maybe a year or two later.  Our latest example is the FJ DNA golf shoes.  Remember when the came out!  Me neither, but women's DNA shoes showed much later.  

With the recent price reduction of PXG clubs, they have become a reasonable consideration for women.  My wife recently bought the 0211 DC irons and just bought the 0211 woods to go with them.  PXG shows a lot of support for the women's game, and a performance-wise review from a ladies perspective may get other OEMs to consider marketing something other than the matching full set with bag in pink.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2 hours ago, dpg1221 said:

Thanks, dg

With the addition of Bennett to the staff they have started doing more reviews for female golfers.   Here are the ones from last year:  

https://mygolfspy.com/the-best-womens-spiked-shoe-2021/

https://mygolfspy.com/the-best-womens-performance-glove-2021/

https://mygolfspy.com/the-best-womens-spikeless-shoe-2021/

https://mygolfspy.com/the-best-womens-premium-glove-2021/

I also know that Bennett was one of the club testers last year, but equipment isn't gender specific even though some is marketed toward female players.

I have seen the list of some of this years tests and Bennett will be doing the 2022 version of some of the above listed tests.    

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

16 hours ago, cnosil said:

but equipment isn't gender specific

Correct and maybe that ought to be the message. As an example, my wife plays a 410 driver with a senior  ('mens') Alta shaft and big Bertha irons  Both of which she was fitted for. 

Perhaps having a woman tester at HQ or women 'Official Testers" would dispel the myth.. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

We were fortunate to have several female testers last season with a few different products. 

Hopeful that trend continues and we see more women active on the forum! They were dinner great reviews and ones i really enjoyed reading as well as members i enjoyed working with on them.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

19 hours ago, cnosil said:

With the addition of Bennett to the staff they have started doing more reviews for female golfers.   Here are the ones from last year:  

https://mygolfspy.com/the-best-womens-spiked-shoe-2021/

https://mygolfspy.com/the-best-womens-performance-glove-2021/

https://mygolfspy.com/the-best-womens-spikeless-shoe-2021/

https://mygolfspy.com/the-best-womens-premium-glove-2021/

I also know that Bennett was one of the club testers last year, but equipment isn't gender specific even though some is marketed toward female players.

I have seen the list of some of this years tests and Bennett will be doing the 2022 version of some of the above listed tests.    

The lack of comments under these reviews tells me that women aren't reading MGS reviews; most of the comments seem to be from men.  I wonder if sites (for anything) specific for women have better participation.  Maybe MGS should have an initiative to grow women participation.

It's not a matter that equipment isn't gender specific, it's that there isn't any testing of the OEM equipment for women with swing speeds that need an L flex shaft.  The men's cutoff for Most Wanted is <90mph, when probably most seniors swing from 70-85mph.  I have never seen anything in the Most Wanted test results for slow swing speeds on which off-the-shelf shaft was used by the testers.  Was an A-flex shaft even used in the test?  

How are women supposed to use the information for men's testing that was <90 mph swing speed; likely with a regular flex shaft.  To gain respect with women golfers there should be a Most Wanted test for OEM clubs with L- and A-flex shafts by women with their typical swing speeds.  The MGS Most Wanted results are a good place for men (and higher swing speed women) to start when they are buying equipment.  Women and slower swing speed men have no such relevant information available.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

27 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

The lack of comments under these reviews tells me that women aren't reading MGS reviews; most of the comments seem to be from men.  I wonder if sites (for anything) specific for women have better participation.  Maybe MGS should have an initiative to grow women participation.

It's not a matter that equipment isn't gender specific, it's that there isn't any testing of the OEM equipment for women with swing speeds that need an L flex shaft.  The men's cutoff for Most Wanted is <90mph, when probably most seniors swing from 70-85mph.  I have never seen anything in the Most Wanted test results for slow swing speeds on which off-the-shelf shaft was used by the testers.  Was an A-flex shaft even used in the test?  

How are women supposed to use the information for men's testing that was <90 mph swing speed; likely with a regular flex shaft.  To gain respect with women golfers there should be a Most Wanted test for OEM clubs with L- and A-flex shafts by women with their typical swing speeds.  The MGS Most Wanted results are a good place for men (and higher swing speed women) to start when they are buying equipment.  Women and slower swing speed men have no such relevant information available.

All valid points.   I doubt that an A flex was even sent by the OEMs; every club I pull is R, S, or X.   MGS has marketed trying to get testers; there just aren’t any women that want to be testers.   There is some connectivity to a local university and their women’s golf team (D3 level)  comes to practice at HQ and uses the GC Quad.   Hard to do the test if there is no one available to do the testing and those that could probably exceed the swing speed range you are mentioning.   From what I know, there are quite a few senior testers that would swing in the 70-85 MPH range you are discussing.  But that goes back to providing more tester related information so you could see who was included in the under 90 category.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 3/11/2022 at 9:06 AM, tony@CIC said:

Correct and maybe that ought to be the message. As an example, my wife plays a 410 driver with a senior  ('mens') Alta shaft and big Bertha irons  Both of which she was fitted for. 

Perhaps having a woman tester at HQ or women 'Official Testers" would dispel the myth.. 

Coincidently, there was an article in Bloomberg News the other day on the big increase in women golfers. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-03-11/long-excluded-female-golfers-are-now-key-driver-of-game-s-growth?utm_campaign=news&utm_medium=bd&utm_source=applenews

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

On 3/10/2022 at 12:00 PM, Kenny B said:

What my wife and I have found is that when new shoes come out and reviews are made, the same shoe for ladies is not available... until maybe a year or two later.  Our latest example is the FJ DNA golf shoes.  Remember when the came out!  Me neither, but women's DNA shoes showed much later.  

With the recent price reduction of PXG clubs, they have become a reasonable consideration for women.  My wife recently bought the 0211 DC irons and just bought the 0211 woods to go with them.  PXG shows a lot of support for the women's game, and a performance-wise review from a ladies perspective may get other OEMs to consider marketing something other than the matching full set with bag in pink.

Manufacturers need to step up to support the growing participation of women in golf.  Case for my point above about women's shoes...  

Today MGS posted the new release of the ASICS Gel-Kayano Ace shoe.

The ASICS GEL-KAYANO Ace will be available in four colorways: white/white, white/midnight, Metropolis/Gunmetal and Glacier Grey/Pure Silver.

They’ll be available in a men’s version only as of now, in half sizes ranging from 7 through 12 as well as full sizes 13 and 14.

They’ll retail for $169.99 and will be available starting April 1.

On 3/11/2022 at 10:33 AM, cnosil said:

All valid points.   I doubt that an A flex was even sent by the OEMs; every club I pull is R, S, or X.   MGS has marketed trying to get testers; there just aren’t any women that want to be testers.   There is some connectivity to a local university and their women’s golf team (D3 level)  comes to practice at HQ and uses the GC Quad.   Hard to do the test if there is no one available to do the testing and those that could probably exceed the swing speed range you are mentioning.   From what I know, there are quite a few senior testers that would swing in the 70-85 MPH range you are discussing.  But that goes back to providing more tester related information so you could see who was included in the under 90 category.  

Good to hear that they've tried to get women on the "Hit Squad" 👍.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Check out the MGS shoe review for Duca del Cosma golf shoes…2 of the 4 reviews were for women….

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• 1 month later...
On 3/10/2022 at 12:00 PM, Kenny B said:

Like your reply. My wife just started playing and is taking lessons. 

I currently have the PXG 0811X Gen 4 driver. 

I will have to let my wife know your input about the PXG 0211s your wife has. 

PXG 0811x Gen 4 9 degree driver

Exotic 3,4,5 hybrid

Sub70 699 6-AW for itons

Kirkland wedges 56 & 60

Scotty Cameron Studio 1.5 putter

19 minutes ago, RjGolf4Life said:

Like your reply. My wife just started playing and is taking lessons. 

I currently have the PXG 0811X Gen 4 driver. 

I will have to let my wife know your input about the PXG 0211s your wife has. 

My wife ended up sending the woods back.  She ordered them over the phone (without me present) and they talked her into woods with senior shafts based on what she told them about her game.  She started playing in 1963 was playing senior shafted clubs until 2012, but she switched to L-flex maybe 8 years ago.  She likes the 0211 irons in L-Flex with the Project X Cypher shaft.  She replaced the woods with Callaway Epic Speed also with the Cypher shaft in L-flex and is playing well with them.  The 0211 woods might have been fine with the Cypher shaft, but it was backordered and she didn't want to wait.