Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Rory has a swing problem

dterrie

Ok if you bring the hate, but Rory's swing is killing him. When he's on, it's a thing of beauty, but he has such a dynamic transition that he can't control his irons consistently. He needs a quieter swing for his scoring irons, especially his wedges. When I has a kid, I was rarely given lessons because I had a beautiful swing nobody wanted to mess with. But it needed messing with. Same thing for Rory. Sadly, his inability to trust his swing is wrecking his confidence and attitude. He has that woe is me hangdog look about him. 

Driver: :tour-edge: c721 9.5 / HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Irons: :taylormade-small:P7MB 3-PW, Project X IO 5.5, 1.5 flat
Wedges: Hogan Equalizer II, 52 standard V sole, 58 Texas Grind
Hybrid: :callaway-small: FT 20 degrees
Fairway: :tour-edge: c721 5-wood / HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Putter: EVNROLL ER2 Black

2 hours ago, bens197 said:

Strongly strongly disagree. 

IMO, the issue many of these top tier guys suffer from is inflated expectations. Every week the talent on Tour gets better and better. 

Now take Spieth, Rickie and Rory. Three phenomenal talents. Three guys who have struggled of late. 

What do all three have in common outside of the aforementioned?

Newly married, new parents. 

Life is complicated, it’s layered and it’s also deeper than what we see a few hours a week on TV. Life, kids and marriage are some of the most significant life events any of us will experience. I’d put my consideration into that more than anything else. 

Rory has always had an issue with getting stuck but it’s something many good golfers deal with including tiger, but he’s had a ball of fame career already with his swing and still has plenty of time to do more great things on tour. 

Like you said he’s in a different place than he was 5 years ago. Priorities have changed. Focus isn’t always where it should be. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 hours ago, bens197 said:

Strongly strongly disagree. 

IMO, the issue many of these top tier guys suffer from is inflated expectations. Every week the talent on Tour gets better and better. 

Now take Spieth, Rickie and Rory. Three phenomenal talents. Three guys who have struggled of late. 

What do all three have in common outside of the aforementioned?

Newly married, new parents. 

Life is complicated, it’s layered and it’s also deeper than what we see a few hours a week on TV. Life, kids and marriage are some of the most significant life events any of us will experience. I’d put my consideration into that more than anything else. 

Exactly.  Cupids Arrow syndrome is real. 🙂  Another factor that I believe is responsible for swing changes is getting "swoled".  I can't help but think the amount of bulk some players put on dosen't force some changes in swing.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

2 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Exactly.  Cupids Arrow syndrome is real. 🙂  Another factor that I believe is responsible for swing changes is getting "swoled".  I can't help but think the amount of bulk some players put on dosen't force some changes in swing.

It works the other way too for those of use looking to lose weight.  Taking bulk off also forces swing changes.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

40 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

It works the other way too for those of use looking to lose weight.  Taking bulk off also forces swing changes.

We lived through that with David Duval...

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I don't know about his swing per se, but I do think he doesn't control spin on full wedge shots very well compared to the best on tour.  Compared to me, he is a genius at controlling spin.😁

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, TysonKyle said:

I totally agree with you on Rory's swing. When he's in the zone, it's a sight to behold, but lately, his dynamic transition seems to be causing issues, especially with his irons. It's essential for him to find a more consistent and controlled approach, particularly with his scoring irons and wedges. I understand the value of having a beautiful swing, but sometimes, even the best swings need some fine-tuning to improve performance. Just like you, I was hesitant to receive lessons when I was younger due to having what people called a "natural" swing. I eventually realized that there's always room for improvement. 

His transition is similar to almost every pro. He might use the ground more than others but it’s why he is able to hit the ball as far as he does for his size.

Rory’s been prone to getting stuck his entire career. When it happens it’s harder to control spin because you have to compensate and many times there’s some loft being added or in the case of pros less shaft lean rather than a flip.

Every pro has flaws in their swing, what separates them from the regular golfer is their ability to compensate properly and be able to repeat it.

As for natural swings, there’s really nothing natural about the golf swing and peoples natural swing is doing things opposite of what a golf swing is

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1