Spikes or Spikeless  

274 members have voted

1. 1. Spikes or Spikeless?

• Spikes only!
    • Mostly spikes, sometimes spikeless
    • About 50:50
    • Mostly spikeless, sometimes spikes
    • Spikeless only

Spiked.  Playing in Western PA with all of the hills and side hill lies spikeless shoes are a great way to roll an ankle.  Played a total of one round with spikeless shoes.  Fell off of three shots and shot my worst round in years.  They were returned the next day.  

Driver; Callaway RAZR Fit

Fairway and hybrids: Callaway X2 Pro

Irons: Mizuno JPX 825

Wedges: Mizuno JPX 825 Pro

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Wear spikes most of the time now. I found modern pairs can be really comfortable - I have a pair of Nike Air Zoom Victory Tour 2 and they are as comfortable as my spikeless shoes, so I always stick to spikes for the extra traction.

Ping G400 Max, Cobra F8 Fairway, Wilson Staff D300 irons, Vokey SM7 wedges

On 3/13/2022 at 10:04 PM, Middler said:

Just for fun, it seems spikeless continue to gain converts - me for one after decades spikes only. I only wear spikes (FJ DryJoys) if it’s sloppy wet AND I’m in a riding cart. Walking or not sloppy wet, I’m fully converted to spikeless (2 pairs Adidas CodeChaos) It’s amazing how good they’ve become!

I get those who’ve never tried spikeless, I wouldn’t consider it until I started walking 18 regularly again. I was wrong about todays spikeless golf shoes, more comfortable and surprising traction IME. I walk in my CodeChaos once or twice a week, there’s no way I could walk 18 in my DryJoys…

What's the point in not walking when playing golf?

If and when the day comes when I can only play if I have to ride on one of those infernal buggies, (or carts as the Americans call them), it's the day to pack it in and quit.

For me the whole essence of the game is the walk.  I want to feel the terrain under my feet.  It enables me to be at one with the game and be able to see and play the shots I need to.

I can never see myself riding in a "Fatmobile".

I left my shoes at home by accident last Sunday and ended up playing in my sneakers. Didn't notice any difference whatsoever and I didn't slip once.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

5 hours ago, YamYam said:

What's the point in not walking when playing golf?

If and when the day comes when I can only play if I have to ride on one of those infernal buggies, (or carts as the Americans call them), it's the day to pack it in and quit.

For me the whole essence of the game is the walk.  I want to feel the terrain under my feet.  It enables me to be at one with the game and be able to see and play the shots I need to.

I can never see myself riding in a "Fatmobile".

40 years ago I would have agreed with you, but after running a marathon,  playing volleyball and two softball games a week (slo-pitch and fast pitch) and two knee surgeries, I needed an activity that was easier on my knees.  I didn't take up golf until I was 44 years old, and golf is now my main activity at 75.  Sometimes I walk; mostly I ride because it's more enjoyable than being in pain.

I hear you about not wanting to ride, but think about what you will be doing instead of golf in 30-40 years and then revisit this post then.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I only wear spiked shoes as I apply a lot of ground force and “spin out” when wearing spikeless shoes. I occasionally spin out even in spikes but that is more so when the spikes need replacing… which I do frequently. 

• TaylorMade Stealth2+ 9° - Fujikura Ventus Black VeloCore 5-S
  • TaylorMade M5 15° - Fujikura Ventus Black VeloCore 6-S
  • Callaway CF-18 18° - KBS Tour Prototype 85 S
  • Srixon 4-AW Nippon Modus 3 105 R
  • Cleveland ZipCore 54° Mid and 58° Mid DG Spinner
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 35"
  • Titleist Pro V1
  • Arccos Gen 3 sensors

Play exclusively with spikeless and in all conditions. Haven't had an issue with slipping or spinning out more than once or twice a year in 50+ rounds. Add to that they are easier to walk around in on cart paths and parking lot and it's a done deal for me. I do the like the look of an old classic spiked shoe but can't justify the need for me in my game. I only swing my driver about 105 mph so not really any chance of me slipping with spikeless. Very pleased with the Cuater Moneymaker Lux even though I REALLY wanted to like the Ecco Bioms. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

I just made the switch from spikes to spikeless, this year, and I don't see myself ever going back to spikes.  Have had several pair of Nike and Adidas spiked shoes in the past, and am now wearing Ecco S-Three spineless shoes.  I walk a couple rounds a week and love them!  No issues with traction!

2 hours ago, Kenny B said:

40 years ago I would have agreed with you, but after running a marathon,  playing volleyball and two softball games a week (slo-pitch and fast pitch) and two knee surgeries, I needed an activity that was easier on my knees.  I didn't take up golf until I was 44 years old, and golf is now my main activity at 75.  Sometimes I walk; mostly I ride because it's more enjoyable than being in pain.

I hear you about not wanting to ride, but think about what you will be doing instead of golf in 30-40 years and then revisit this post then.

... I have a remote cart and always walk if I can. But other than medical conditions, which many have and obviously can prevent them from walking, I have played mountain courses that are impossible to walk. And of course places like Phoenix or Palm Springs attempting to walk in 105-115* heat during the summer months is a recipe for heat stroke.   

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

It's surprising to me how many people in this pole wear spikes. Must be where I play, I haven't seen spikes around sense the 90s!

Titliest TSi 3

Sub 70 3 Tour

Titliest Ap2

Cameron Newport 2 @ 2008 model. 

On 7/7/2022 at 12:13 PM, nofives said:

It's surprising to me how many people in this pole wear spikes. Must be where I play, I haven't seen spikes around sense the 90s!

Spiked shoes are the ones that have replaceable spikes; not the metal ones you are thinking of.   Spikeless typically have rubber nubs of some kind that cannot be replaced when they wear out.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

18 minutes ago, cnosil said:
29 minutes ago, nofives said:

Spiked shoes are the ones that have replaceable spikes; not the metal ones you are thinking of.   Spikeless typically have rubber nubs of some kind that canning be replaced when they wear out.

... Unless he is talking about the North or South pole, where metal spikes are probably still used. 🤪

1 hour ago, EasyPutter said:

The back 9 is totally different going up the slopes, across the ravines, down the slopes, and across the slopes.  Lots of vertical and walking? Not unless you have mountain goat in your DNA and I don't hesitate to walk hill courses. 

... There is a popular Mountain course here that not only would be virtually impossible to walk in less than 8 hours, there is about a 1.5 mile drive from the clubhouse to the first tee and straight uphill. I think walking (which is not allowed) most would be pretty tired before hitting their first tee shot. 

5 hours ago, chisag said:

... Unless he is talking about the North or South pole, where metal spikes are probably still used. 🤪

He could be talking about utility workers that climb poles and need spiked shoes. 😀

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

All courses now prohibit metal spikes as abusive to greens (pick up your feet!) This has forced me into soft spikes since the 90's; one northern course allows metal spikes November to March if you have a doctors written note in regards to your orthopedic safety. Soft spikes have improved so much that they provide better traction in most conditions. In response to the denigration of golf carts to play golf, when I first joined my northern course, I walked the 8.5 miles the course measures to walk, up and down hills with elevation changes of 270 feet. USGA officials require cart transport between green to tees on 4 long, uphill distances green to tee. Mid 90's to mid 2000's I walked/carried. Then I switched to a bag carry remote controlled electric cart; now I ride a 1992 Club Car as after 8 surgeries on swing affected joints require I conserve energy to use in the actual golf swing. Golf Shafts have changed from X+ to soft R, I have a garage full of clubs that I can not use anymore. Having played the game for 53 years, I have seen so much change in equipment, ball, changes and lengthening of courses. Example of golf equipment forcing changing golf courses, a course I loved playing with my father in law, using steel driver head (early stages) Tour Prestige wound golf balls, with 1970's irons, shot a under par round in the presence of my father in law, I witnessed the end of a golf course. Plowed under to be redesigned by Tom Fazio, lengthened by 900 yards. Now considered to be the best maintained course's in Southern California, the course can be easy on the 340 yard downhill, downwind par4, to one of two 500 yard up hill into the wind par 4's, a 600 yard downhill cross wind par 5 with a peninsula green 20 yards across, 30 yards deep. Local fees with cart were $25 to begin with, but now are $110, even with the $1200 annual fee to subsidize the course that we had no say in when the new owner was negotiating water fess for unpaid bills from the bankrupt owners who ****** up a great course, $1400 for two rounds of golf per year. Screwed by the rich owners who forced us to pay for the mismanagement of the previous owners.

Soft spikes always. I tried spikeless. I stepped on a patch of grass with mud under it and my foot went sliding out from underneath me and I landed flat on my back.  Never wore them again. 

Marsha Estefan

Skechers cross trainers. I don't play where there is a lot of rain.  I didn't realize that so many players still wore spikes. This is an interesting topic, thanks for starting it.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

31 minutes ago, Beakbryce said:

Skechers cross trainers. I don't play where there is a lot of rain.  I didn't realize that so many players still wore spikes. This is an interesting topic, thanks for starting it.

They are considering spikes to be replaceable soft spikes as these are now considered to be spiked shoes; the discussion is not about the old metal spikes that are generally not allowed on courses anymore.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 7/9/2022 at 8:38 AM, cnosil said:

They are considering spikes to be replaceable soft spikes as these are now considered to be spiked shoes; the discussion is not about the old metal spikes that are generally not allowed on courses anymore.

I know they don't allow metal spikes here, wasn't sure about other parts of the country. I guess you would have to know the shoes that were named specifically in the original post are not metal spikes, which I didn't know. Around here we don't count replaceable soft spikes as spiked shoes, as hardly anyone plays in regular golf shoes anyway. Nice to learn what others are thinking in the nomenclature area. Have a great day.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

On 7/7/2022 at 9:24 AM, cnosil said:

Spiked shoes are the ones that have replaceable spikes; not the metal ones you are thinking of.   Spikeless typically have rubber nubs of some kind that cannot be replaced when they wear out.

Ohhhhh okay gotcha. Thank you for clearing that up for me. 

Titliest TSi 3

Sub 70 3 Tour

Titliest Ap2

Cameron Newport 2 @ 2008 model. 

14 hours ago, Beakbryce said:

Around here we don't count replaceable soft spikes as spiked shoes, as hardly anyone plays in regular golf shoes anyway. Nice to learn what others are thinking in the nomenclature area. 

Interesting, even the golf manufacturers and resellers use the spiked and spikeless designation for current shoe offerings. 

I have never played with spikeless just feel like I can't keep my back foot from sliding under me. 

Driver: Taylormade Sim 2 Max

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Max

Driving Iron: Titleist u510

Hybrid: Taylormade Gapr

Irons: Taylormade P760

Wedges: Vokey Jet Black 52/56/60

Putter: Taylormade Spider X

Ball: ProV1x