Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Aldila Ascent - Any one using this?

Thin2win

Hey all, was playing around with the Truegolffit app this morning and the shaft on its #1 recommendation was the Aldila Accent Red. This is literally a shaft I've heard nothing about. I'm not a shaft guru, but I've normally at least heard of the players in the category. It also has a very limited digital footprint out there. Does anyone have this in a bag or have used it? Just curious about it. 

image.png.c329fd0c857b65d6e4bfcb34c6985328.png

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

• Thin2win changed the title to Aldila Ascent - Any one using this?

@cnosil @revkev sooo, when I first searched the forum I found nothing... then I realized that ascent is spelled, well not accent. This found that you two have both hit/gamed this. What are your thoughts on it? 

WITB:

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

1 hour ago, Thin2win said:

@cnosil @revkev sooo, when I first searched the forum I found nothing... then I realized that ascent is spelled, well not accent. This found that you two have both hit/gamed this. What are your thoughts on it? 

I haven’t gamed this shaft.  I think you meant @chisagbased on my forum search.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

12 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I haven’t gamed this shaft.  I think you meant @chisagbased on my forum search.  

you are probably right. But I'm disappointed in you, I expected you to have a couple of these laying around by now 😃

WITB:

27 minutes ago, 03trdblack said:

I posted this on GolfWRX.  Just thought it might find interest here as well.

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1801235-the-aldila-ascent-is-a-re-painted-mitsubishi-fubuki-v/

very interesting

WITB:

37 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

you are probably right. But I'm disappointed in you, I expected you to have a couple of these laying around by now 😃

I don’t generally have a lot of shafts laying around…a couple but not a wide assortment.   I have probably tried the shaft when we were doing most wanted testing.  But since I don’t recall it being in the Stealth, it probably isn’t a good shaft for me 😁

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

i was "fit" for the same shaft on the TrueGolfFit app as well. For the Stealth driver. Been trying to get a hold of one through ebay but no luck winning yet. 

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

2 hours ago, Thin2win said:

Hey all, was playing around with the Truegolffit app this morning and the shaft on its #1 recommendation was the Aldila Accent Red. This is literally a shaft I've heard nothing about. I'm not a shaft guru, but I've normally at least heard of the players in the category. It also has a very limited digital footprint out there. Does anyone have this in a bag or have used it? Just curious about it. 

... If the Ascent fits your swing, it is a really nice shaft. Fwiw, I have a smooth swing and a late release so never gotten along with very stiff tipped shafts. Ascent is very smooth feeling and gave me the best numbers when hitting the Stealth in a fitting. My first Cally fitting the AD-IZ in S/R flex was best and in my 2nd Cally fitting the Tensei AV Blue S flex was best. The Ascent and AV Blue are mid launch and mid/low spin shafts so very similar both in tech and performance. The Ascent has more listed torque but again for me they were equally tight in dispersion and feel. Ymmv ...

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

2 hours ago, Thin2win said:

very interesting

You want my Fubuki V? serious

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

You want my Fubuki V? serious

LOL. How did I not ask you first what you thought of it? Gross error on my part. I'm using an Accra TZ6 right now. I'm guessing they are pretty similar. I wasn't all that interested in the Stealth... Until I hit it. I did a quick hitting session with the Stealth +, Callaway Rogue Max,  Cobra LDx and my SIM2. All my ball speeds were in the same 145-148 range, except the Stealth, it was 153-155. So now the gears are turning and I'm going to have to go hit it again and we estuary I can get it tuned to. 

What did you think of the fubuki? 

WITB:

It’s funny because I saw someone else here say it was light. But that was for fairway and hybrid.

in driver it’s a middle weight 65 gram shaft. I’m liking it so far. I have a medium swing - not overly aggressive but not Ernie Els like smooth. I’ve been gaming shafts in the mid 50’s the last few years. The ascent gives me a medium high launch, lower spin option 14 degree launch 2,800 rpm - I was north of 3,000 with the lighter shafts.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

2 hours ago, revkev said:

It’s funny because I saw someone else here say it was light. But that was for fairway and hybrid.

in driver it’s a middle weight 65 gram shaft. I’m liking it so far. I have a medium swing - not overly aggressive but not Ernie Els like smooth. I’ve been gaming shafts in the mid 50’s the last few years. The ascent gives me a medium high launch, lower spin option 14 degree launch 2,800 rpm - I was north of 3,000 with the lighter shafts.

14° @ 2800 is almost maximum distance for a 100 mph swing speed according to PING's launch /spin chart, those are good numbers! 

WITB:

5 hours ago, Thin2win said:

LOL. How did I not ask you first what you thought of it? Gross error on my part. I'm using an Accra TZ6 right now. I'm guessing they are pretty similar. I wasn't all that interested in the Stealth... Until I hit it. I did a quick hitting session with the Stealth +, Callaway Rogue Max,  Cobra LDx and my SIM2. All my ball speeds were in the same 145-148 range, except the Stealth, it was 153-155. So now the gears are turning and I'm going to have to go hit it again and we estuary I can get it tuned to. 

What did you think of the fubuki? 

I was fit into the Aldila Ascent at Club Champion last year, and first bought the Fubuki since its essentially the same shaft (and may actually be the exact same) as the Aldila Ascent. The only thing better than the Ascent for me is the Autoflex, but they didn't have that at Club Champion to try. If i wasn't gaming the Autoflex, would likely play the Ascent/Fubuki. Its a good fairway shaft too, happen to have a few of those too lol. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

happen to have a few of those too lol. 

Least surprising forum post of the day. 

Bring it to the PNW Meetup, I'll take a swing with it 👍

WITB:

I actually just completed an 'exploratory' driver fitting (not truly interested in changing out my current gamer, but always interested to try the new stuff). One of the driver/ shaft combos that actually threatened if not actually beat my gamer was the Mizuno ST-Z-220 with an Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff.

My gamer is a Titlelist TSi2 with a KuroKago 50 SFW, so similar shafts. Funny enough, TrueGolfFit actually had my current gamer has my 2nd choice driver, so I was encouraged by that, although not at all encouraged by the first choice which was a TourEdge Exotics Pro721 with a Tensei Blue 65 in stiff. Two very different drivers. FYI, TourEdge actually allows you to test clubs and return within 30 days for a full refund. I took advantage of that offer. I am trying a different combination (this time with the C722 head) after providing info on my swing, what I am trying to accomplish, etc. Their customer service has been amazing.

So based on a data set of 1, I would just be a little careful of too big a change from your current driver via the tool. I certainly like the notion of it, but...

My recommendation is always, always, always get fit. I know Adam thinks it should be free, but if you plan on buying, most fitters will refund that 'cost' for a purchase. I have one of the best fitters about 45 minutes away (Miles of Golf, Cincinnati) and they have always treated me wonderfully.

I game it, love it. Played the HZRDUS red for a while, then swapped to the RDX red and now the ASCENT. The ascent is just as long but far better dispersion and feel. Highly recommend for those smooth swingers. I have a 103-105 SS and use a stiff version at 60g. 

M3 kuro kage XM 6s

g425 3w LST tour ad VR 6s

Baffler F6 5w evenflow red 7s

F7 OL 4i Steelfiber 110cw

Miura PP9005g 5-PW elevate tour

cleveland rtx 50* DG

Glide 3.0 eye 54* DG

Hi-toe 60* DG

TrueGolfFit app also recommended this shaft for me as well.  95-100 mph swing speed, moderate tempo, slight upward angle of attack.  I was then fitted with this shaft (60S) during a TM Stealth Driver session.  This is a stock option with the Stealth.  However, I will not pay $600 for a Gen1 composite face, maybe Gen2.  Still, I loved the feel of the Ascent Red shaft.  Behaved very stable when I tried to jump on a few drives and had a nice low feeling kick.  Aldila aftermarket version is about $250 on ebay, but I found some brand new (pulled from TM Stealth heads) for $70 w/ TM adapter, on ebay.  Per Alidila support, the TM version is identical to the aftermarket shaft, expect for the paint scheme. Whether these are repurposed (repainted) Fubuki V shafts, I can't say, but for $70, it's a deal. 

JimCee

TM SimMax driver: 9°, PX Smoke Yellow 6.0, 60gm

Cobra King F9 fairway: 14.5°, PX Smoke Yellow 6.0, 70gm

Cobra King F9 hybrid: 17°, PX EvenFlow Blue 6.0, 85gm

Adams Pro hybrid: 20°, TP Matrix Altus Ozik Stiff, 85gm

Mizuno JPX919 HMPro irons: 5-PW, PX LZ Steel 6.0

Mizuno S18 wedges: 49°, 53°, 57°, (61°), PX LZ Steel (6.0 - 5.5)

SeeMore Nashville One SS Black putter

E-mail response from Aldila...

image.png.09496dc623ddf21b1aa296657201842c.png

JimCee

TM SimMax driver: 9°, PX Smoke Yellow 6.0, 60gm

Cobra King F9 fairway: 14.5°, PX Smoke Yellow 6.0, 70gm

Cobra King F9 hybrid: 17°, PX EvenFlow Blue 6.0, 85gm

Adams Pro hybrid: 20°, TP Matrix Altus Ozik Stiff, 85gm

Mizuno JPX919 HMPro irons: 5-PW, PX LZ Steel 6.0

Mizuno S18 wedges: 49°, 53°, 57°, (61°), PX LZ Steel (6.0 - 5.5)

SeeMore Nashville One SS Black putter

• 7 months later...
36 minutes ago, Landy said:

Does the ascent have a smooth feel or boardy?

... The Ascent is a very smooth feeling shaft. Similar in feel to the Even Flow Blue. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Jc50 said:

notice the new calloway paradym irons have the Blue 50 Shafts for seniors. Anyone know how it would work with a 70 SS?

Good possibility? However would be great if you could get to a shop and try it out to see how it works. Recommending shafts on SS alone is so difficult as there are so many factors that come into it. That being said on paper it "should" be a good fit. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I had a fitting at Club Champion over the weekend.  The best move was reshafting my current 3-wood with a Aldila Ascent Red 70 X - extremely tight dispersion.  If I was getting a new head, I probably would have went with a less expensive shaft. 

Bag: Big Max Dri Lite Summit Black/Red
Driver: Callaway GBB Epic - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Green Small Batch "Hulk"
3 Wood: Callaway Epix Max - Aldila Ascent Red 
2 Iron: TaylorMade Stealth UDI - LA Golf A Series Hybrid
4-AW Irons: TaylorMade P790 - KBS Tour 120g Stiff (1/4" long, 2* upright)
54* & 58* Wedges: Callaway Jaws MD5
Putter: Mizuno M Craft I Blue
Ball: Vice Pro Plus

I've been using this shaft for about 6 months now in my 9° SIM2.  I've added 15-20 yards off the tee.  My swing speed is just under 90mph with average carry of 210-215.  I already have a high ball flight but adding this shaft did not increase hight at all.  It did however, reduce my spin over 1000rpm.  My natural ball flight is a slightly right to left.  Before this shaft,  i struggled hitting a fade.  Usually hitting it straight to the left or a bad push slice.  About a month ago, I reduced the loft on my driver by 1°.  In the past, doing this usually ended up causing me to add way to much side spin and miss fairways left and right.  But with this shaft, I can now hit a very slight fade and do not lose much yardage.  All I do is swing easy and let club do the work.  This shaft has greatly increased my confidence off the tee and has added distance.  I did find the price to be ridiculously high, but the results are worth it