TESTERS WANTED! ×

Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach

Chuck1956

Heading down to Hilton Head area (Bluffton) and Myrtle Beach for the first two weeks of April. Probably will only need one or two courses in Hilton Head and thinking it would be probably be among Old South, Hilton Head National and Country Club of Hilton Head (is this public?). Any insights among these three or other reasonably priced courses to consider? In MB, will probably play 4 or 5 times and was thinking two rounds among Caledonia, True Blue, Tidewater and Dunes Club and two more reasonably priced courses like Thistle, Rivers Edge or Farmstead. Not sure what the greens fees are at Tidewater or Dunes but I think for both I need our club pro to get us on and I've heard Caledonia has a problem with its greens so would be interested if anyone knows the greens fees or condition of Caledonia. Also, any other reasonably priced courses to consider in MB or north (not Murrells Inlet or Pawley Plantation). Thanks

Farmstead closed and sold to developers. Caledonia runs around $200 and True Blue about $150. Thistle is good as well as Rivers Edge. Rivers Edge is a decent drive from NMB. You can get on Tidewater without a pro calling. $145 is the current rate. A Pro's phone call might save you some $. My boss just got back and he said the Pearl was in great condition. 

Look at myrtlebeach.tee-links.com

This gives you the  maintenance and aeration schedule for MB courses.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

18 hours ago, Chuck1956 said:

Heading down to Hilton Head

I just stayed at Brunswick plantation over President's day weekend.  Yes Farmstead is cleared and being prepared for homes.  Cost wise yes I would play Rivers Edge, it is always in great shape and views are among the best.  I also played Meadowlands which was also good.  Sandpiper Bay was OK, avoid Diamondback, it was in rough shape.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

I enjoyed Oyster Reef in Hilton Head quite a bit.  Also Atlantic Dunes, but it's a tad more pricey. I was not a huge fan of Palmetto Dunes (RTJ course), but it was still nice.  I have heard really good things about the Arthur Hills course at Palmetto Dunes as well.  I played Crescent Pointe a couple years ago because it was a very good value.  It was nice for the price I paid, but not memorable.  Pretty good conditions, but there is much better in the area I think.  I've heard wonderful things about Old South and i'm hoping to play that while I'm down there in June.

I played True Blue in December 2021 and it was a treat.  Cool layout and great condition minus a few bunkers that were lacking sand.  I caught up with a group of locals that play both courses often and they said they much prefer True Blue to Caledonia for what it's worth because of the issue you mentioned.   Myrtle Beach National had some fun holes and I enjoyed it.  Dunes and Tidewater are on my list as well, but I have not played them yet.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

I've been going to HHI for years.  If you only need 2 near Bluffton, I'd highly recommend CC of Hilton Head and HH National. CCHH is private but they do welcome outside play. HHN is one of the best on the island. Check aeration schedules. They're usually punching in April.  Old South is good value. Dolphin Head is another very good semi private club.  Can't go wrong with those 4.  

• Mav SubZ 9°
  • Mav SubZ 14.5°
  • Mav SubZ 16°
  • Mav 4hy
  • Apex CF19 5- AW
  • Hogan Equalizer 54°
    Cleveland 58°
  • Odyssey StrokeLab 7s
  • TaylorMade TP5x

Heather Glen and Glen Dornach were among my favorites near North Myrtle Beach. Not sure what they cost nowadays. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym; Hzrdus Silver 50 Gram

3 Wood: Ping 410; "Otto Phlex" Project X Evenflow Riptide 

7 Wood: Callaway Epic Max 

3, 5-7 Irons: Callaway Apex 19

8-AW Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 19

Wedges: Callaway MD4 54, Callaway MD4 58 X Grind 

Putter: Evnroll ER2v; Midlock and Standard 34 inch with Gravity Gip

A list of furteen courses and their current rates for the dates your want to play in MB.  The Dunes Golf and Beach Resort is not included.  It is a semi-private club and tee times can be obtained, are running around $231 for morning times. 

https://www.myrtlebeach.com/golf-tee-times/

Hilton Head and Bluffton has some great courses.  I checked the Country Club of Hilton Head and they are a private club.  Suggest looking over the list on this site. 

https://www.blufftonsc.com/where-to-golf-in-bluffton-hilton-head-island 

We have had a rainy season and that is what spring is like down here.  April showers bring May flowers, as they say.  I live half way between the two in Mt Pleasant, across the river from Charleston.   I got to the two areas when I have to do golf events.  Just to congested.  If I play golf there, it is in of off season.  

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

On 3/15/2022 at 4:30 PM, Chuck1956 said:

Heading down to Hilton Head area (Bluffton) and Myrtle Beach for the first two weeks of April. Probably will only need one or two courses in Hilton Head and thinking it would be probably be among Old South, Hilton Head National and Country Club of Hilton Head (is this public?). Any insights among these three or other reasonably priced courses to consider? In MB, will probably play 4 or 5 times and was thinking two rounds among Caledonia, True Blue, Tidewater and Dunes Club and two more reasonably priced courses like Thistle, Rivers Edge or Farmstead. Not sure what the greens fees are at Tidewater or Dunes but I think for both I need our club pro to get us on and I've heard Caledonia has a problem with its greens so would be interested if anyone knows the greens fees or condition of Caledonia. Also, any other reasonably priced courses to consider in MB or north (not Murrells Inlet or Pawley Plantation). Thanks

Play the Dye Course at Barefoot. 

Played golf for over 50 years until my health and business calendar reduced my time to less then 5 rounds a year. Then 4 years ago I retired, changed my diet and lifestyle, lost 100 pounds and got back on the course. Its been a struggle but things are getting better.

3 hours ago, 550025KV said:

I've been going to HHI for years.  If you only need 2 near Bluffton, I'd highly recommend CC of Hilton Head and HH National. CCHH is private but they do welcome outside play. HHN is one of the best on the island. Check aeration schedules. They're usually punching in April.  Old South is good value. Dolphin Head is another very good semi private club.  Can't go wrong with those 4.  

I go every year at end of September…….played HH Nat’l this year…..terrific layout wonderfully taken care of.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

6 hours ago, 550025KV said:

CCHH says they only do reciprocals for other Club Corp clubs, so doesn't seem to work so will probably stay with Old South and HH National. 

Played Caladonia and True Blue fall of 2020. At Caladonia you have to catch it while the greens are fast to get a true sense of the course. Move up a set of tees at True Blue if you ask me. Play on a calm day. 

Felt Dunes was great but a tad over rated. Grand Dunes is a great resort course. Wide open, great condition and you can pick a yardage with 7 (?) Sets of tees. Wife loved it. Few forced carries. 

TPC myrtle was in great shape and a ton of fun for me...

Have fun...

When I stayed at Hilton Head in February of 17, I played at The Golden Bear at Indigo Run. It was such a nice course and was the most reasonably priced on the island when searching on Golf Now. So much so that I went back for a second time even though planned to try two courses (Only had time to play twice during my stay) while there. The photo is from one of the greens, but I can’t remember what hole it was. 

CFEC6F36-FB51-49C1-9AE7-7EC4E1F09383.jpeg

Motorcycle trials and golf the two most addicting sports 

On 3/15/2022 at 4:30 PM, Chuck1956 said:

The country club of Hilton head can be played if you have aThe country club of Hilton head can be played if you have a Club corporation membership. Palmetto dunes has a few courses that are all really nice to play, all depends on what kind of pricing you were looking for. 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

Here is my review on the country club of Hilton head

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

• 4 weeks later...

I just played Bear Creek at Hilton Head and loved it. Great lay-out with some interesting holes- 18 is a fantastic finish. The greens were immaculate and quick. The price is the best on the Island- may be the only one you can play under $100; lunch was included. The practice facility was great too. Highly recommended. 

Old South at HH is a very fun lay-out. A great variety of target golf and holes that you can grip it and rip it. The holes on the Intercostal Waterway are spectacular looking and a real challenge when the wind is blowing line it was the day I played. Condition that a good- greens are a bit slow, but not ridiculous. Saw lots of wildlife and very few houses- nice get away.