Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Fine Tuned Putters - any thoughts?

GolfSpy SAM

2 hours ago, ChuckZ said:

Think about this, par on most courses is 72, and if we average two putts on every hole then half our strokes are with a putter, the one club we use the most.

Seems like a solid argument to me. I would compromise on any other club before my putter, e.g. I regret buying my driver and I'll probably replace it this Fall for no other reason than I'm tired of looking at it, but I'm in no hurry.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

11 hours ago, ChuckZ said:

Think about this, par on most courses is 72, and if we average two putts on every hole then half our strokes are with a putter, the one club we use the most.  That is where we can improve the most.......just sayin'!

NOTE:  my driver cost retail more than that with the shaft I have in it......seems most golfers go more for distance than improving their scoring......🤪 

Depending on the weakness of the player averaging 2 putts per hole may be performance that cannot be improved.   If you average 40 feet from the hole on your approaches you probably won't improve your putting.   You are probably averaging 2 putts per hole if you average 20 feet from the hole.   Players have to assess their weakness and simply implying that improved putting is the fastest way to improve scoring simply isn't factual.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

18 hours ago, Riverboat said:

I do think putting is the best place for most players to improve their game (because it's the area that you can improve the most with the least amount of practice time), but you are correct that, given that most players miss more than half the greens in regulation, if you are taking 2 putts per hole, your chipping and pitching must be really bad and need work also. If you are anywhere near the green with your approach, you need to be getting up and down with closer pitches and chips with some regularity.

If you think about it, say you miss 12 greens. If you get up and down half the time, and avoid 3 putts, you should be down around 30ish putts. A far cry from 2 per hole. That's been my most common way of scoring for years.

Yes it is something that can be practiced easily and an area that amateurs can reach professional performance levels. The poster I quoted talked about 72 stroke and 36 of them being putts and since that is half of your stroke it is where you should look to improve.  In your scenarios,  improving putting isn't going to change your scores unless you are missing those close putts.  The other area to look at improvement would be if you are 3 putting frequently.  Generally the closer you are to the hole the harder it is to shave strokes off your game unless you have issues with that skill.   For example,  1 foot putts;  a player should be making 99+% of those putts and no matter how much you work on those putts you probably won't get much better.  Move out to 8 feet and you are now in basically 50/50 range; practice will help if you aren't making that percentage but you if you are close to 50/50 you probably won't get much better.   Moving out to your chipping range,  if you aren't getting them inside the 3 foot radius you can start making improvements there.   Knowing you proximity to the hole and make percentages from all distances would be crucial to see if it is even an area that could be improved. 

What I am talking about is kind of the basis for strokes gained metrics.   If you also look at the book Lowest Score Wins they talk about separation values and how specific skills impact score.   You can see that generally putting skills are not skills that will create scoring separation.  https://lowestscorewins.com/separation-value   

Players need to look at their individual skill levels to determine weaknesses.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

Yes it is something that can be practiced easily and an area that amateurs can reach professional performance levels. The poster I quoted talked about 72 stroke and 36 of them being putts and since that is half of your stroke it is where you should look to improve.  In your scenarios,  improving putting isn't going to change your scores unless you are missing those close putts.  The other area to look at improvement would be if you are 3 putting frequently.  Generally the closer you are to the hole the harder it is to shave strokes off your game unless you have issues with that skill.   For example,  1 foot putts;  a player should be making 99+% of those putts and no matter how much you work on those putts you probably won't get much better.  Move out to 8 feet and you are now in basically 50/50 range; practice will help if you aren't making that percentage but you if you are close to 50/50 you probably won't get much better.   Moving out to your chipping range,  if you aren't getting them inside the 3 foot radius you can start making improvements there.   Knowing you proximity to the hole and make percentages from all distances would be crucial to see if it is even an area that could be improved. 

What I am talking about is kind of the basis for strokes gained metrics.   If you also look at the book Lowest Score Wins they talk about separation values and how specific skills impact score.   You can see that generally putting skills are not skills that will create scoring separation.  https://lowestscorewins.com/separation-value   

Players need to look at their individual skill levels to determine weaknesses.

Great article, I don’t think people talk enough about the mental aspect and playing smart and to your strengths.

• :callaway-small:Paradym AI Smoke Max Ventus TR Blue 5S
  • :Sub70: 3 & 7W 949 stiff
  • :mizuno-small: 921 JPX Tour 5-W Stiff Nippon 120
  • :taylormade-small: MG4 Raw Grind 50, 56 & 60 Stiff
  • :ping-small: Ping Anser 2 putter 
  • :titleist-small: Pro V1
  • EZ Go 4 seater

Oh man! I love you guys - I don't check in for a week and suddenly the thread blows up.

Okay, so I won't respond to every comment, but I can try to boil it down here.

1. Realistically, anything over $500 is "over" my budget - and ideally, I'd find something for under $300. 

2. I have tested (and LOVE) the Ping 2021 Tyne C - it's incredibly soft, I love the look (very similar to the style I was fitted into - really suits my eye), and even customized to exactly my specs, it's still under $300, so that's where I'm leaning currently.

3. I did, in fact, ponder attempting to find an Edel fitter, as I love the look of their stuff, and love the idea of something built to my specs - but again, accessibility and cost are two larger issues there. 

4. I am SQUARELY in the two-putt category (I usually average one or two 3-putts, and one or two 1-putts), and am acutely aware that making a few 8-15 footers would HUGELY impact my scoring. 

5. I'm also acutely aware that my wedge game needs work, and that's where I've been focusing a lot of energy and attention lately.

6. I did putt with one of the HB soft 11's, and enjoyed it, but in comparison to the Ping, it felt loud and clicky - there just wasn't a comparison, and considering the Ping's relatively affordable price, I think that $100-ish price difference feels justified. 

7. Really grateful for all the feedback from everyone, and if I missed anything specific mentioned above, I'll add on as I can. 

Thanks again!

-Swanson

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track