TESTERS WANTED! ×

Sluggo’s Golftec Lessons

Quick thoughts after playing today. I probably hit 1/4 great shots, and 1/4 eeks shots, and the rest were so so.

but the good shots were really good, with a nice little draw, and some good distance, obviously from the forward roll.

need to remember to aim a few degrees to the right.

lower ball flight too, probably due to delofting with a slight forward press.

it’s a lot of little set up things that I need to remember to do, but I hit a bucket after playing trying to condition myself to create the “new” habits

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

... While under the watchful eye of your instructor it is much easier to swing the way you/he wants. When you get away from him, especially early in your lessons it is quite easy to overdo aspects you are changing and everything gets completely out of whack, especially on the course. While everyone does not suffer this fate, most do so just keep that in mind if you struggle between lessons. Seems like you are on your way to an improved swing! 👍

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

2 hours ago, chisag said:

... While under the watchful eye of your instructor it is much easier to swing the way you/he wants. When you get away from him, especially early in your lessons it is quite easy to overdo aspects you are changing and everything gets completely out of whack, especially on the course. While everyone does not suffer this fate, most do so just keep that in mind if you struggle between lessons. Seems like you are on your way to an improved swing! 👍

Interesting you say this. When I really tried hard was when most of the bad swings happened. 
I’ve decided that there will be a stretch of “growing pains”, and to just let them flow off my feathers like water on a ducks back. They are going to happen. But the rewards  are worth it. 16, 17, and 18 holes were all very good, from tee to green. Two of them are long par 5’s, and both 3 woods were delicious. Piercing screamers that both turned over and ran long. I can hardly express how delighted I felt as I watched them go. And the funny part is that it’s such a compact easy swing. Even at my age, I still say “gawd I love this game” after pure hits… it’s a sickness…

Thoughts from todays round…

Starting to get a little more comfortable with the draw, but finding that the woods are more responsive to turning than irons. But a positive is that even if an iron doesn’t turn, it goes pretty straight. Eliminating the right side is getting closer to a consistant, and having tee shots come back to center is good.

Im finding the most really important parts of the swing are;

keeping the right side stacked on the right foot instep-and keeping the club face at a right angle to spine angle on backswing. Using a stronger grip.

Still working on creating a standard set- up to the ball, to make it a habit. Set the club on target with both feet ahead of ball. Flair left foot out slightly. Step back with right foot to put ball about 3” behind left foot, and slightly flare right foot out. Lean shaft forward to create straight line from ball to left shoulder. Make sure grip V’s point to right shoulder. Try to not be too quick with the swing. Keep arms tighter to body. Blah blah blah…

see? This is why swing changes are hard. A million swing thought checklist while trying to ingrain them into the brain…

it all involves a full commitment and lots of practice, and all of this… after just one lesson! What could possibly come next week?!?!

Today was better, a lot!

shot +2 today as the new swing starts to settle in. One of the bogies came from not trusting the draw to come back, because it was death if it didn’t, so I was pin high, but in the left rough. It was a fairly long shot with a 5 iron. Another was topping a 3 wood into a bunker on a par 5, trying to get there in 2. But other than a very few errors, it was a great day. Even my buddies commented on the control I had today. 

final analysis, two thumbs up, and seriously excited for next weeks lesson.

I am going to be following this thread Sluggo! I started taking lessons at GOLFTEC last season and went from a 22 handicap to a 5.3 in just a few months. I have been really fortunate that I have a great coach who I have actually become really good friends with. Wishing you all the best and congrats on the great round today!

Edited by stephenmatt

On 3/16/2022 at 1:17 PM, Sluggo42 said:

Quick thoughts after playing today. I probably hit 1/4 great shots, and 1/4 eeks shots, and the rest were so so.

but the good shots were really good, with a nice little draw, and some good distance, obviously from the forward roll.

need to remember to aim a few degrees to the right.

lower ball flight too, probably due to delofting with a slight forward press.

it’s a lot of little set up things that I need to remember to do, but I hit a bucket after playing trying to condition myself to create the “new” habits

Perhaps I missed the answer in your first post, but was your natural ball flight prior to the lessons a generally straight or a fade?  What distance gains are you seeing with the draw ball flight?

1 hour ago, stephenmatt said:

I am going to be following this thread Sluggo! I started taking lessons at GOLFTEC last season and went from a 22 handicap to a 5.3 in just a few months. I have been really fortunate that I have a great coach who I have actually become really good friends with. Wishing you all the best and congrats on the great round today!

Umm, yeah, I'm pretty much hating you right now 🤣. From 22 to 5.3 in a few months is nutzballs! Congrats!

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

2 hours ago, stephenmatt said:

That’s outstanding! I’ve been as low as a 2.1, but seem to have been on a bad funk for a year, so that’s what prompted me to take some lessons. My goal is to get back to shooting par or better depending on the day. It’s very helpful to have “other eyes” specifically to figure out how to improve, based on tech, with an educated professional teacher. 

Your improvement is superb, and I’m glad to hear a good result from lessons

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Perhaps I missed the answer in your first post, but was your natural ball flight prior to the lessons a generally straight or a fade?  What distance gains are you seeing with the draw ball flight?

Umm, yeah, I'm pretty much hating you right now 🤣. From 22 to 5.3 in a few months is nutzballs! Congrats!

Generally my old flights were pretty much straight to a gentle fade. Years ago I had a decent draw, but was young and could hit my old mp33 7 iron a 175 yds. Nowwww, a 7 iron was 140, but I’m definitely seeing more now with a good hit and a nice little draw. I don’t have any definitive distances to park on yet as I’m still learning it. For instance, my 50° wedge was my 100 yd stick. Twice today I was 10-15 yds longer on 2 shots I remember. Also had a 6 iron that went abut 10 yds longer, so there is a new learning curve happeneing. Oh, drives are getting an easy 10-20 yds. But the best part is the growing confidence to stick greens again.

and this is only 1 lesson in so far. Hoping they’ll have some good lessons for short game too. 
cheers

Just did my first lesson with golftec in NJ and it was great, I will most likely sign up for the 5 lesson plan .. I just don’t have time to do the lessons that give you 90 min practice sessions per week. My big problem was my tilt 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

Have fun with them. I did a set of Golftec lessons couple years ago. The online lesson recap and the practice bays were the things that really helped for me groove things. That and not abandoning fixes too soon

WITB

TS2 10.5 

M2 3HL

Mavrik Max 5W

Titleist 818 4 hybrid 

Mizuno JPX921 HMP 5-Gap

Mizuno S19 56

Maltby TSW 60

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter

14 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I forgot to mention that old swing ball went extremely high, draw flights are lower for the most part, so far.. but this is mostly for woods and long irons. The jury is still out on the shorter sticks. But it is strange to see a little draw on wedges. And they still get up into the clouds.

22 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I had a decent swing as a good foundation. My problem was missing both ways and touch around the greens. Once we got that handled I dropped really quickly.

Edited by stephenmatt

10 hours ago, jlukes said:

Which location and who was your instructor?

Moorestown, Francis Diodato was the instructor 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

2 hours ago, jlukes said:

Nice. I know Val that teaches there. He’s great

Cool I think he was booked up .. actually seem like most of the instructors there were booked up

OK, lesson #2 in the books. Instructor “Joey” was very happy with progress from week 1. Today we worked on “posting up” better. He wants the left leg darn near locked up as I’m coming through the ball, as I’m sliding more than rotating. So we did some “belly drills” to get the chest aiming at the target after contact.

89F8D72B-129C-44EC-B542-B33FB5073217.jpeg.ba3d1952d15857207b3362f141f29a30.jpeg

starting to get some really pretty ball flights with that little baby draw, and definitely a little more yardage, with good clean shots carrying 150 ish with my 7 iron.

42FCE986-B1C7-4C08-9A6D-5EBBCF814BBD.jpeg.cd5b5d8716873a280a43b614a98594c9.jpeg

Todays round before lesson was really good, and had numerous birdie opportunities that I missed. He said that next week we will go through his short game process, and that would really make a difference for me as my basics are pretty good. Here’s a view of what I look at after every shot, the pics are stills from the video. I like it because we can really drill down on minute nano details.

Well so far everything had been so easy, but this weeks lesson hasn’t been quite as peachy. Stacking up and straightening the left leg has been interesting. I think I’m getting there, but the draw seems to have evaporated… towards the end of todays round I was getting a little bit used to it, but I can see this will be a practice heavy change.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, everything has continued, and the key is sticking committed to the lessons. One thing I’ve noticed from a few friends is that they will not accept the change their teachers try to get them to do, so they just revert back to where they were.

im liking what’s happening with my new swing so I’m really striving to make the changes a permanent thang. I’m hitting some really neat shots occasionally now, and even the slight misses are leaving me in better places.

now onto this weeks lesson. Chipping… how many times I’ve chunked or thinned a chip I couldn’t tell you, and it about makes you wanna break you club in two! Right?   So “Joey” taught me his whole system about getting the ball onto the rolling surface as soon as possible to a “safe” spot to land and roll. Also using a watch hand for distance ie 6:30 for covering 5 yards, or 6:45 for 7.5 yards etc… then an open stance with the ball behind your back foot, cocking and locking the wrists, shoulders on target line, blah blah blah, and then having the right knee move a bit forward with most weight on left foot. Etc. but before all of that you need to do a little simple math to determine which club to use, from lob wedge to 7 iron.

the whole key is flying the ball over the junk but getting it on the green asap to roll out to the hole. And of course there are a whole set of variables.

i only had 2 opportunities yesterday to apply and use this system, and was fortunate to save par both times.

its a system that will require a lot of thought and math as I work on committing it all to memory, and then also practicing. Another part is a little pregame practice green to determine green speed, and how to incorporate that info Into the equation. I didn’t completely explain it all as it would have turned into a huge post, but hopefully you get the idea.

next week… pitching!

I went to Golftec last May and went from  shooting in the 95-115 range finally into the 80’s. 

This season I tried to implement the Hogan 5 lessons of golf. Played 1 round well and then over practiced the wrong things and really jacked up my swing. Back at Golftec with my coach this season and after really trying to be a range rat. I’ve learned that slowly practicing at home in front of the mirror has helped me the most so far. I live in SE FL so not really a golf season down here. Just time change allowing a little more daylight to practice. 

I jacked up my swing pretty bad and glad that you are on the right path and playing well. I am converting from a fade/slice to a straight/draw bias ball flight. 

2 hours ago, Dware said:

I went to Golftec last May and went from  shooting in the 95-115 range finally into the 80’s. 

This season I tried to implement the Hogan 5 lessons of golf. Played 1 round well and then over practiced the wrong things and really jacked up my swing. Back at Golftec with my coach this season and after really trying to be a range rat. I’ve learned that slowly practicing at home in front of the mirror has helped me the most so far. I live in SE FL so not really a golf season down here. Just time change allowing a little more daylight to practice. 

I jacked up my swing pretty bad and glad that you are on the right path and playing well. I am converting from a fade/slice to a straight/draw bias ball flight. 

Wow, that’s a serious load of improvement. I’m just trying to get a little more consistency, and with that hopefully drop 3-4 strokes maybe. But as you are probably discovering with your improvement, the lower you get, the harder they are to shave. 
im glad you also found a good result with Golftec, I’m feeling really good with what I’ve learned about my stroke so far, and just need to keep honing..

20 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

Wow, that’s a serious load of improvement. I’m just trying to get a little more consistency, and with that hopefully drop 3-4 strokes maybe. But as you are probably discovering with your improvement, the lower you get, the harder they are to shave. 
im glad you also found a good result with Golftec, I’m feeling really good with what I’ve learned about my stroke so far, and just need to keep honing..

You couldn’t of said it any better. The difference between 90’s and 80’s was a simple as just keeping the ball in play and consistency in the short game. 
The jump from high/mid 80’s to breaking 80 has really been a struggle to the point of almost running my swing due to trying to make drastic changes at one time. Just needed to realize it took Tiger 6 years to fully change and master his swing. The best golfer on the planet took 6 years, why do I expect it to take 6 hours to fully learn a new technique. Less practice on the range with irons and more with short game has been helping me get dialed back in this season. Practice makes permanent and practicing bad habits trying to find perfect has stuck with me for a few weeks now. 

Have you tried the new Mizuno STZ? 

18 hours ago, Dware said:

Have you tried the new Mizuno STZ? 

No sir…

Played much better to than yesterday, altho I scored better yesterday…

the chip shot lesson is being harder to master but I did have 3 or 4 that worked great, for easy par saves.

iron shots were pretty good for the most part, Cept for one hole I turned into a double from 113 out, that was a mess…

but overall, much more crisp contacts with a baby draw…

As long as it works, that's great. I had a lesson at Golf-Tec, he tweaked my swing instead of trying to change it, which others tried to do.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

GolfTec = GolfWreck.  Why would anyone take a golf lesson indoors, when ball flight is too artificial to see or learn from. It's like taking a swimming lesson on dry land, and not actually in the water.  Hogan said that the "ball" was the teacher.  Hit it--watch it--follow it--find it.  The do it again.  Your instructor is being told by the computer, which by the way, @ most GolfTec's are already obsolete, what you are doing wrong. They simply compare your angles to the averages of the top players.  Anyone can do that.  The value of the teacher is to fix or correct those issues.  There's a re reason that they "Up-sell" you packages of lessons in advance,it's because, a majority of their students would not show up for the next one, except they already paid for it.  I guess if you think it was beneficial, then it was.  I'd be curious to find out if there will be any real improvement after your 5 sessions are completed; or will 'Joey' try to up-sell you more pre-paid sessions.  I talk to guys all the time that do not ever complete all of their sessions. That's why you can't give your lessons to someone else.  Like I said: "GolfTec = GolfWreck"....

Listen to Hank Haney’s recent podcast regarding why he now prefers indoor lessons.  It’s good and from a teacher’s point of view. 
I was very pleased with GOLFTEC.  I love their app and the review of the lesson.  Plus you can go back much later and do a relook at the focus of that lesson. 

Thoroughly enjoying this thread.

I took lessons at Golftec just after the pandemic started. In Southern California the courses were open, I was working from home and the opportunity seemed ideal. A friend and I bought the 13 lesson package, same instructor. Comparing instruction didn't work as we have different swing dynamics. But I got a lot out of the lessons - especially the video! I missed the last 3 lessons and a few months of golf due to a separated shoulder from a bad bicycle accident. (My profile picture is from while I was waiting for the ambulance 🙂 ) Point is, in the time from the crash until I could swing again, my recall of the instruction (setup, arm position, turn, etc) wasn't so great. It's coming back to me with rounds and range time ... even that "baby draw"! 

Thanks for your post and running account of your progress - I picked up a few things I can use!  

Putter Scotty Cameron Kombi
Driver 10.5 deg Callaway Rogue ST MAX
3W 13 deg Callaway Rogue ST
5W 15 deg TaylorMade M4
H4 22 deg TaylorMade M2
Irons Callaway APEX Pro Forged 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, PW
Wedges Callaway Mack Daddy 50, 56, 60