TESTERS WANTED! ×

Liv Golf Central Thread: Events and News

Thin2win
Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

We haven't had to say this in a while, but as a reminder to all that we are keeping this thread to the golf/signings and related content.

We are not going to get into the politics of it all and where the money is coming from etc.

If you wish to comment on that aspect of it all please feel free to do so on other platforms. Not here.

While much of LIV has become more accepted over the years there are still those who feel strongly against it and the backing. We respect all those who are both for and against LIV, however will not tolerate going into the weeds of all the "other stuff"

If you are not sure whether you should post something either ask a mod or don't post it. 

As we have before we will continue to moderate, remove or edit posts that go against our moral code and members will receive alerts or warnings to follow.

Thank you

Forum Staff 

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

yep, some will and some won’t.   It isn’t your place to cast stones or judge what they have done because you don’t walk in their shoes.  You can only provide you thought on what you think you would do if you were in that situation. 

Of course any of us can express opinions about the greed and morals of the sellouts. We all have sufficient information on this. We are affected by it and/or have an interest as golf fans and can judge the players actions in that light. None of the stars who joined LIV were ever going to worry about their families starving. 

13 minutes ago, LICC said:

Of course any of us can express opinions about the greed and morals of the sellouts. We all have sufficient information on this. We are affected by it and/or have an interest as golf fans and can judge the players actions in that light. None of the stars who joined LIV were ever going to worry about their families starving. 

John 8:7

“When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, ‘Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.’”

Nobody here should judge another person for what they do or why they do it regardless if it’s an athlete who is doing something you don’t believe is right or not or if it’s another member and whatever choice they make. Way too many on the internet ride their high horse behind keyboards 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Judge is one thing, but to have an opinion on what is right and wrong is fine. Judging can also occur when one thinks they’re just expressing an opinion toward another’s views. Hard to distinguish. It’s all in the heart of the person… 

After reading through the thread I do find it interesting how folks are investing so much energy into this discussion. Beyond me, to be honest. I’m going to go find someone posting about putting covers on their irons now… Have a blessed day!!! 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

25 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

“When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, ‘Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.’”

Nobody here should judge another person for what they do or why they do it regardless if it’s an athlete who is doing something you don’t believe is right or not or if it’s another member and whatever choice they make. Way too many on the internet ride their high horse behind keyboards 

No one is stoning these players to death. We are giving opinions on a forum. Who are you or who is @cnosil to tell anyone else whether they can voice an opinion about something?

1 minute ago, LICC said:

No one is stoning these players to death. We are giving opinions on a forum. Who are you or who is @cnosil to tell anyone else whether they can voice an opinion about something?

I am not saying you can’t provide you opinion and you have.  I have simply provided a counter opinion that none of us know the actual situation these golfers are in or why they make the decisions they do.  You consider it greed, selling out, and compromising morals; I consider it making a decision to secure the future for their families since no one knows what  they will need in 5, 10, 20 years and beyond.  My opinion is that you believe everyone should share your opinion about the players going to LIV as being greedy and lacking morals.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

I am not saying you can’t provide you opinion and you have.  I have simply provided a counter opinion that none of us know the actual situation these golfers are in or why they make the decisions they do.  You consider it greed, selling out, and compromising morals; I consider it making a decision to secure the future for their families since no one knows what  they will need in 5, 10, 20 years and beyond.  My opinion is that you believe everyone should share your opinion about the players going to LIV as being greedy and lacking morals.  

It’s not having different opinions, it’s both of you quoting and restating them over and over that suggests intolerance for other opinions?

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

I lol’ed. 

57AFFA4D-9CBC-476A-80A9-6F184EBC2FAE.jpeg

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Jay Monahan today: 

"We welcome good, healthy competition. The LIV Saudi golf league is not that. It’s an irrational threat; one not concerned with the return on investment or true growth of the game.

Currently no one organization owns or dominates the game of golf. Instead, the various entities, be it Augusta National or the USGA or the LPGA or the PGA Tour or the PGA of America work together to meet our own respective priorities, but with the best interests of the game overall at heart,” he continued. “But when someone attempts to buy the sport, dismantle the institutions that are intrinsically invested in its growth, and focus only on a personal priority, that partnership evaporates, and instead we end up with one person, one entity, using endless amounts of money to direct employees, not members or partners, toward their personal goal, which may or may not change tomorrow or the next day. I doubt that’s the vision any of us have for the game."

On 6/12/2022 at 1:03 PM, Middler said:

+1. I don’t even like it remotely, e.g. I don’t watch the WM Phoenix Open because of the featured drunks. I’m sure many here saw highlights from last year where fans threw thousands of (semi) full cups and cans of beer all over #16 after holes in one? Many of the fans got drenched in beer in the process, not my idea of fun - ever. Disgusting to me, I guess I don’t “get it.”

004F7BF7-4642-4EC9-92E9-76081FADE06D.png

That is disgusting, not called for drunken idiots.

On 6/21/2022 at 9:15 AM, Middler said:

I’m a little surprised to see B Koepka jump ship, but I can rationalize that too, aside from money alone. He’s been injury plagued for years now, and it’s in his best interest to cash in while he can - it looks like he’s going to have a shorter career than most for physical reasons. Sorry to see Ancer go too, but he’s not quite a marquee player. All that said, it keeps getting harder and harder to call the Obnoxious Greed League all has been a and also rans. IF they get some true marquee PGA players (DJ is still closest) to sign, the PGA could really be in trouble, so far they’re treading water…

Kinda sad so many people will take dirty money without hesitation, not just golf. Morals are passé nowadays.

You said it.

22 minutes ago, Peaksy68 said:

Please don’t take this as pontificating, but I’m actually able to comment from a personal perspective about turning down Saudi money.

About 25 years ago I was offered huge money to work in Saudi Arabia. About 50% more than I was earning at the time, but tax free, accommodation covered, return flights to Australia and multiple flights to Europe. They even were going to find a solid job for my wife. 

I turned it down, as I personally didn’t want to put my wife in a position where she was basically going to be locked up in the expat compound unless she went outside with me or another male, along with other issues around the treatment of women.

Would my life be easier financially now if I’d taken the job? Maybe, but I made an informed decision.

I wonder how many of those who have signed with LIV have actually had a look at the big picture or thought only of them selves (obviously it’s they’re right to do that)

I just wish that they’d drop the “growing the game” bullsh1t, be honest, it’s about the cash. Steph Curry is doing more to grow the game of golf than most of these guys.

Very true. Greed is evil. Ethics ad morals are lost because of greed.

I guessed DeChambeau went to LIV to escape Koepka.  May have to re-think that.

I don't have anything useful to add to the discussion other than to wonder how many golf fans are like me:  I don't watch the senior tour because it's 54 holes and no cut, making the tournaments seem like mere exhibitions.  Sorta of like Shell's Wonderful World of Golf with more golfers.  If LIV becomes 18 hole tournaments with cuts then I may watch.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

I realize that the thread contains “No Politics” in the title but the sole reason for LIV Golf is politics. I think we must remain cognizant of the fact this tour exists not because the Saudis love the game or wish to advance the game inasmuch as the game helps improve their image on the world stage. The league is not financially viable other than the fact that those who run it have access to an incredible amount of wealth to back it and sponsorships and broadcasting deals are not required to fund the appearance fees and prize pools.
The golfers certainly have the right to play where they wish but the PGA Tour also has the right to to place rules around it’s membership. I do wish the players though were more honest about why they are joining LIV, just say they are paying me a ton of money to work less hours under less pressure to perform. It’s insulting when they say, it’s growing the game and “I’ve seen women eating in restaurants so the things are improving in Saudi Arabia”. I won’t conflate doing business with Saudi Arabia due to national security interests with doing business with Saudi Arabia to play a game.

:ping-small: CB-P226 Hoofer Cart Bag

:ping-small: G400 Max 10.5° w/Ping Alta CB

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue

:PXG: 0211 19° Hybrid w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:Snell:  MTB prime

:Clicgear: 3.5+

So explain to me why Jay has announced an increase of $90,000,000 "90 million" in prize money when previously there wasn't any more money in the cupboard, so all those players left on the PGA tour should thank all the Liv players for their astronomical pay rise...

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

18 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Great reference and very true

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

11 minutes ago, Bang60 said:

So explain to me why Jay has announced an increase of $90,000,000 "90 million" in prize money when previously there wasn't any more money in the cupboard, so all those players left on the PGA tour should thank all the Liv players for their astronomical pay rise...

There are some reports out there that this increase was always planned for, just not this quickly. Covid season had a lot to do with that and breaking into the funds they wanted to use for it. Eventual plan according to reports is to have most of these high profile events at 25 Million pots. 

I'm not going to say the PGA played this correctly, but I'm still going to side with them. The only player I'm sad to see go is Brooks. I'm hopeful that this exile of others will lead to more tour cards and opportunities for younger talent to come up and get the opportunity on tour. 

I watched a bit of LIV, very meh and highly unlikely I tune in again. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

17 minutes ago, Bang60 said:

Do not know if you or anyone else noticed this week--- The LPGA really boosted the money for the KPMG event this week. Well maybe it was not the LPGA but KPMG. Which I guess their advertising budget increased or had a slurplus since they dropped Phil

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

2 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I watched a bit of LIV, very meh and highly unlikely I tune in again. 

Well the best thing about Liv for me was no advertising, I hate paying a premium for skysport and still watching advertising like FREE to air channels. I only watch 2ish hours so 3days worth is ok for me, abit bored watching too much golf anymore...

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

2 hours ago, Bang60 said:

The new structure helps the top 50-70 players and is worse for the lower ranked players. It may even negatively affect the other tours that are part of the PGA Tour. LIV has forced a shifting of resources to the top players at the expense of others. This was one of the reasons the PGA Tour hadn’t done this before- to not hurt the rank and file members. Guys like Mickelson and Norman wanted bigger shares of the pie and didn’t care about those lower ranked players or affiliated tours. 

40 minutes ago, LICC said:

I don’t think being against stoning a woman to death for adultery is quite the relevant comparison …

I liked the Bible Verse and I do not think you get the general gist of what the verse is referring to. And before you start on me no I am not going to explain it to you because it would be a borderline infraction of forum rules

G

4 hours ago, Bang60 said:

In yesterdays press conference, Monaghan said many big sponsors came to him and said what can we do to help? Sponsors are mostly the money behind the tour, so it stands to reason they may be ponying up more money. But we can’t argue with LIV being the catalyst for the increase in PGA purses.

Again what a sad, tiresome (IMO) situation. A established sports league under serious attack for reasons that have nothing whatsoever to do with the sport itself…all the players are pawns in an ugly political game.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

13 minutes ago, Middler said:

In yesterdays press conference, Monaghan said many big sponsors came to him and said what can we do to help? Sponsors are mostly the money behind the tour, so it stands to reason they may be ponying up more money. But we can’t argue with LIV being the catalyst for the increase in PGA purses.

Again what a sad, tiresome (IMO) situation. A established sports league under serious attack for reasons that have nothing whatsoever to do with the sport itself…all the players are pawns in an ugly political game.

“From Golf Digest: All-in” for the tour when it comes to financials shows just how formidable the cash advantage is for LIV. Monahan announced $45 million in purse “enhancements” for next season—or, about half of what LIV reportedly paid Bryson DeChambeau. If a player has a price, LIV can pay it. And even if the new plan works exactly as planned and boosts the take-home for players like Scheffler, McIlroy and Justin Thomas, it mostly means many of the same chips have simply been shifted away from the middle class and those trying to break through from the Korn Ferry Tour or beyond,” 

Hopefully you are right and increased sponsor money covers most of this. But the changes to the schedule help some and hurt others:

“If it sounds like life just got tougher for mid-tier players, non-winners and young players trying to break in from the minor leagues, you heard the same thing many players did. “How are Korn Ferry players supposed to get access?” one current tour player who is currently in the 51-to-125 category asked in a conversation with Golf Digest. “They could have increased the purses and just kept the schedule the way it was. The tour is more than just 15 guys.” Another player currently outside the top 125 said the plan could be an extinction event for many players who had consistently finished in the 75-to-125 range, with so many more players going to war in the shorter span of that fall status-setting season.”

I do think the changes are good for golf fans, as more events will have most of the top players which is fun to watch. 

40 minutes ago, LICC said:

“If it sounds like life just got tougher for mid-tier players, non-winners and young players trying to break in from the minor leagues, you heard the same thing many players did. “How are Korn Ferry players supposed to get access?” one current tour player who is currently in the 51-to-125 category asked in a conversation with Golf Digest. “They could have increased the purses and just kept the schedule the way it was. The tour is more than just 15 guys.” Another player currently outside the top 125 said the plan could be an extinction event for many players who had consistently finished in the 75-to-125 range, with so many more players going to war in the shorter span of that fall status-setting season.”

Could be exactly what the LIV tour wants.  I have always thought that the long term success of the LIV will fall to the up and comers.  As the PGA tour potentially pushes them aside with these big money top 50 events the LIV tour can potentially poach the future of the PGA tour with smaller guaranteed salaries.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

9 hours ago, MattWillGolf said:

I realize that the thread contains “No Politics” in the title but the sole reason for LIV Golf is politics. I think we must remain cognizant of the fact this tour exists not because the Saudis love the game or wish to advance the game inasmuch as the game helps improve their image on the world stage. The league is not financially viable other than the fact that those who run it have access to an incredible amount of wealth to back it and sponsorships and broadcasting deals are not required to fund the appearance fees and prize pools.
The golfers certainly have the right to play where they wish but the PGA Tour also has the right to to place rules around it’s membership. I do wish the players though were more honest about why they are joining LIV, just say they are paying me a ton of money to work less hours under less pressure to perform. It’s insulting when they say, it’s growing the game and “I’ve seen women eating in restaurants so the things are improving in Saudi Arabia”. I won’t conflate doing business with Saudi Arabia due to national security interests with doing business with Saudi Arabia to play a game.

I agree with that and also wish those against LIV wouldn't equate the players who went there to everything bad that any Saudi citizen has ever done. That strong handed tactic moved me from being neutral / leaning toward the PGA on the topic to actively hoping that LIV produces some good golf content. 

Mostly :taylormade-small: ITB. SIMMs, P790s...etc

Won't you pour me a Cuban Breeze, Gretchen?

5 hours ago, Bang60 said:

Pretty sure, some of this is the TV deals that have been in the works for the past few years and his ability to get additional sponsor $$. My assumption is that sponsors will be willing to give more for PGA events to avoid a LIV/Saudi takeover.

One of the toughest things he has done has been to commit that legal costs will come from the PGA pension fund. I imagine this will really start causing a stir.

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

48 minutes ago, Ohms said:

I agree with that and also wish those against LIV wouldn't equate the players who went there to everything bad that any Saudi citizen has ever done. That strong handed tactic moved me from being neutral / leaning toward the PGA on the topic to actively hoping that LIV produces some good golf content. 

This is exactly why sportswashing works so well.

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

1 hour ago, Ohms said:

No one is equating the LIV players to the worst of the Saudis committing atrocities. People are equating the LIV players to being sell-out stooges for the Saudis that are committing the atrocities.

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Could be exactly what the LIV tour wants.  I have always thought that the long term success of the LIV will fall to the up and comers.  As the PGA tour potentially pushes them aside with these big money top 50 events the LIV tour can potentially poach the future of the PGA tour with smaller guaranteed salaries.  

I think LIV wants to damage the PGA Tour and become a major entity in world golf mainly for sportswashing, however it happens.