TESTERS WANTED! ×

Liv Golf Central Thread: Events and News

Thin2win
Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

We haven't had to say this in a while, but as a reminder to all that we are keeping this thread to the golf/signings and related content.

We are not going to get into the politics of it all and where the money is coming from etc.

If you wish to comment on that aspect of it all please feel free to do so on other platforms. Not here.

While much of LIV has become more accepted over the years there are still those who feel strongly against it and the backing. We respect all those who are both for and against LIV, however will not tolerate going into the weeds of all the "other stuff"

If you are not sure whether you should post something either ask a mod or don't post it. 

As we have before we will continue to moderate, remove or edit posts that go against our moral code and members will receive alerts or warnings to follow.

Thank you

Forum Staff 

Great ROI - LIV, Norman, Trump…

Tickets for Trump's Saudi-backed golf tournament were selling for $1 as crowds stayed away: WSJ

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/tickets-for-trumps-saudi-backed-golf-tournament-were-selling-for-dollar1-as-crowds-stayed-away-wsj/ar-AA108GaA

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

50 minutes ago, chisag said:

It just bogles my mind that many want to ignore the Saudi involvement and "just talk about the golf" 

We have been asked to do so.  This is a golf forum not a political forum.  Talking about LIV golf (and many other forum topics) without going down the political path is completely possible.

image.png.1b0ffbe34562437b96ee8e85c30ce269.png

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

It’s easy to leave politics out of it. Just talk about the event like it’s any other PGA event. How the players played, equipment changes, etc.

Driver: Titleist TSr 2 @ 10.5º (Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore TR Stiff)

4 Wood: Titleist TSr 2 @ 14.5º

Driving Iron: Ping iCrossover 17º (Project X HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 80 Stiff)

Irons: Taylormade Stealth 4-P (Fujikura Ventus Blue Graphite 7 Stiff)

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 48º, 52º, 56º (TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue)

Putter: Taylormade GT Max

Ball: Titleist ProV1X, MaxFli Tour X 2023, MaxFli Tour 2023

Tested: Tommy Armour Impact No. 3 (LINK)

Tested: Titleist Prototype Balls (LINK)

Tested: Stitch Golf SL2 Golf Bag (LINK)

Unofficially Tested: Odyssey One Black (LINK)

Shot Tracking App: Golf Pad GPS

deleted

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

deleted

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

24 minutes ago, chisag said:

Politics:

1. the activities associated with the governance of a country or other area, especially the debate or conflict among individuals or parties having or hoping to achieve power.
2. the activities of governments concerning the political relations between countries.

... I get you don't want to talk about it. But just because you don't like it, that doesn't make it about politics by the very definition of the word. Just like the PGA that is freely mentioned, the owners of the LIV tour are just as important as the players and a huge part of the LIV story. Trump as a business man, not his political career, are also a big part of the story this weekend. If virtually every publication covering LIV mentions the Saudi's involvement as well as Trump this weekend, why should it not be mentioned here? Not taking them into account reminds me of  "Other than that Mrs Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?" 

11 minutes ago, chisag said:

... But Peter that is the problem, it isn't like any PGA event. You are probably too young to remember when The Masters or more specifically Augusta National was protested because they didn't allow women members and the PGA was caught in the middle even though they have nothing to do with the Masters. You have players and sponsors furious about LIV for many different reasons. I clearly don't like LIV on several levels and would never watch one second of it. Yet the great thing about living in a free country is I respect your right to watch and enjoy LIV with no judgement. That said you can't pick and choose what elements of the LIV tour you want to talk about and expect everyone else to feel the same way. 

Good grief Sam, give it a break.  Your inability to follow the forum rules and poor attempt to rationalize why you continue to break them is coming across poorly.  If you cannot discuss LIV happenings without repeatedly getting on your political soap-box, please don't participate in it.  

History!

Every body on the planet has some, I try to treat everything that happens in my day as if I like it I partake if I don't I don't....

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

3 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Good grief Sam, give it a break.  Your inability to follow the forum rules and poor attempt to rationalize why you continue to break them is coming across poorly.  If you cannot discuss LIV happenings without repeatedly getting on your political soap-box, please don't participate in it.  

To be fair, chisag didn’t open the door for this latest round.

WITB 2024

DRIVER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png AEROJET 10.5°  |  FAIRWAY Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png ROGUE ST MAX 3/15°
HYBRID Pinglogo.png.11947cc88c8641d62e0a99c26da08b18.png G410 21°  |  UTILITY Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 U 5/23°
IRONS Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 6-PW
WEDGES Clevelandgolflogo.png.9b2e702587cd5230010a835ced0f97a0.png CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58° PUTTER Untitled-8.png.42ad9734db415b5a132df0574137f4f0.png KS1

BALL WilsonStafflogo.png.d0d70a74fad1e8f9c4d9f0581e24d31e.pngMODEL | Vicelogo.png.ac8ca0040252d91a9cdaef9d94e6284b.png PRO | Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png SUPERSOFT
BAG Sunmountainlogo.png.2555e0c0e8e49c09ea72c6df224aa0f2.png 3.5 LS  |  PUSHCART Roviclogo.png.ebc800ac4238271b0253c238793522de.png RV1S

Please to all abide by the top note. This thread is the discuss LIV golf as the entertainment product and it's golfers. Discussion that revolves around the political background, the other stuff behind the scenes of it's backing which will lead into the debate that has nothing to do with the golf will be hidden, deleted and the posters given warnings.

We are a golfing forum and there are other platforms to discuss the other topics that go along with LIV. There is also enough LIV topics which fit within our moral code to discuss and talk about. 

This will be the last message about this and if we continue having things run down this path we will turn to other means such as post approval in order to keep this thread to where it needs to be for our forum.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

12 hours ago, BIG STU said:

They were manulipulated by the press and left wingers and of course that got the PGAT involved

Please give examples of this. Because it’s quite offensive to say the motivations of  families of those killed on 9/11 aren’t pure but rather they are brainwashed by the PGA Tour. 

6 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

He is not the one who brought up the 9/11 families. There shouldn’t be an issue responding when someone else posts what Big Stu posted 

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Please to all abide by the top note. This thread is the discuss LIV golf as the entertainment product and it's golfers. Discussion that revolves around the political background, the other stuff behind the scenes of it's backing which will lead into the debate that has nothing to do with the golf will be hidden, deleted and the posters given warnings.

We are a golfing forum and there are other platforms to discuss the other topics that go along with LIV. There is also enough LIV topics which fit within our moral code to discuss and talk about. 

This will be the last message about this and if we continue having things run down this path we will turn to other means such as post approval in order to keep this thread to where it needs to be for our forum.

I didn’t see this before my responses above. Hopefully all abide. 

3 hours ago, berkeleybob said:

To be fair, chisag didn’t open the door for this latest round.

Nope I did but I did state for all to see if it was offensive or a violation of forum rules for the mods to take it down. Nope I was not trying to start an arguement I was just stating my opinion. Sam and I have known each other for years on here and WRX and sometimes we have different opinions but respect each others opinions and still remain friends. And Moderator APH is on here and if he sees fit to take my comments down he will not offend me if he does. As I stated I did try to tiptoe through the tulips but thought I needed to say what I said

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

44 minutes ago, LICC said:

That article has zero facts to support the conjecture. As a basis for your claim that article is garbage. 

Ok I can respect your opinion in this case I just read what he posted and drew my own conclusions which is my opinion right or wrong

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

7 hours ago, chisag said:

... But Peter that is the problem, it isn't like any PGA event. You are probably too young to remember when The Masters or more specifically Augusta National was protested because they didn't allow women members and the PGA was caught in the middle even though they have nothing to do with the Masters. You have players and sponsors furious about LIV for many different reasons. I clearly don't like LIV on several levels and would never watch one second of it. Yet the great thing about living in a free country is I respect your right to watch and enjoy LIV with no judgement. That said you can't pick and choose what elements of the LIV tour you want to talk about and expect everyone else to feel the same way. 

And you had the same sorta deal at Shoal Creek I think it was in Alabama involving non admittance of certain members because of Race. It was either the PGA or USGA that was not going to play any more events there because of that. 

G

3 hours ago, Bang60 said:

Looks like it's a Stenson Reed toss up to who wins tomorrow, I'm rooting for Stenson...

I think a few others may very well have something to say about the ending but yes, Henrik appears to be on a mission...even brought the game face. 😆

Henrik Stenson confirms LIV switch but hopes to represent Team Europe at  future Ryder Cups | Golf News | Sky Sports  

Thanks @GolfSpy_APH.  MGS is one of the few places where one can find a reprieve from politics.  Sure, we see an occasional toe dipped in that lake (I'm guilty), but let's please do each other a favor and not let that happen here.  

On 7/30/2022 at 6:50 AM, LICC said:

What are you talking about? You think those families were manipulated by the PGA Tour to go protest? It’s not the PGA Tour that brought a Saudi event to New Jersey. 

If you think that organizations don’t use people for agendas and that the people the use aren’t paid to be sued then you are sleeping under a rock

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

3 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

If you think that organizations don’t use people for agendas and that the people the use aren’t paid to be sued then you are sleeping under a rock

What you said is irrelevant to the baseless statement that 9/11 victims families were manipulated by the PGA Tour to feel the way they do. 

16 minutes ago, LICC said:

What you said is irrelevant to the baseless statement that 9/11 victims families were manipulated by the PGA Tour to feel the way they do. 

It’s not. I’m telling you that if you think the pga isn’t using these family members to help them and that the family members aren’t being paid by the pga for being used then you aren’t living in reality. 

The manipulation isn’t of the family members it’s about the pga manipulating the emotions of the viewing audience.

This happens in all areas. Organizations of all kinds pay people including those of tragedies to use their stories to tell a narrative to get the viewers on their side. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

19 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It’s not. I’m telling you that if you think the pga isn’t using these family members to help them and that the family members aren’t being paid by the pga for being used then you aren’t living in reality. 

The manipulation isn’t of the family members it’s about the pga manipulating the emotions of the viewing audience.

This happens in all areas. Organizations of all kinds pay people including those of tragedies to use their stories to tell a narrative to get the viewers on their side. 

And none of that changes the underlying point of the 9/11 families. Why shouldn’t someone help their voice be heard? It doesn’t change the truth of things. 

So, after watching the 3 different events, I’ve come up with an ongoing list of things that I like and dislike about LIV Golf and the format. In no particular order, here they are. 
Shotgun start: I have mixed emotions about this. I like that they pack the entire field in at the same time so it isn’t drawn out and everyone plays under the same conditions. I love watching golf but I can’t dedicate 8-10 hours to watch all the players I want to see. I don’t think they do a better or worse job showing the entire field. They show the big names and a few others but if I was interested in a lesser known guy, I’d probably be SOL. Same thing with PGA.

Microphone in the cup: Its just gimmicky and adds nothing. 

Mic’d up caddies: This reminds me of the short lived XFL where they had microphones in the huddles. I didn’t watch the XFL so I can’t speak for it but I do love this feature in LIV. I’d love to see this more often.

Youtube coverage: My ONLY complaint about this is that the YouTube apps on iPhone and iPad don’t have PiP option. I LOVE the lack of commercials. 

Team format: I’m still mixed on this. Adds an extra element but isn’t a game changer for me. 

54 hole no cut format: My only complaint about this is that it isn’t a 72 hole no cut format. When I’m watching a PGA event and the field is a little thin, if/when my favorite players get cut, my level of interest drops accordingly. I love that I can plan on seeing my favorite players every single day. There have been times I have watched for hours on a Thursday and Friday and then almost none on Saturday and Sunday because of who did/didn’t get cut. 

What say you?

2 hours ago, LICC said:

And none of that changes the underlying point of the 9/11 families. Why shouldn’t someone help their voice be heard? It doesn’t change the truth of things. 

To respect that this thread and forum is to be politics free I’ll avoid getting into things but know that lots of things aren’t as they seem and this is from someone who lost friends that day in the pentagon, have friends who had to go in afterwards for both environmental stuff and recovery. Also from someone who lost a friend fighting in Afghanistan in 2010 on his third different tour to either Afghanistan or Iraq.

25 minutes ago, PeterHenric said:

So, after watching the 3 different events, I’ve come up with an ongoing list of things that I like and dislike about LIV Golf and the format. In no particular order, here they are. 
Shotgun start: I have mixed emotions about this. I like that they pack the entire field in at the same time so it isn’t drawn out and everyone plays under the same conditions. I love watching golf but I can’t dedicate 8-10 hours to watch all the players I want to see. I don’t think they do a better or worse job showing the entire field. They show the big names and a few others but if I was interested in a lesser known guy, I’d probably be SOL. Same thing with PGA.

Microphone in the cup: Its just gimmicky and adds nothing. 

Mic’d up caddies: This reminds me of the short lived XFL where they had microphones in the huddles. I didn’t watch the XFL so I can’t speak for it but I do love this feature in LIV. I’d love to see this more often.

Youtube coverage: My ONLY complaint about this is that the YouTube apps on iPhone and iPad don’t have PiP option. I LOVE the lack of commercials. 

Team format: I’m still mixed on this. Adds an extra element but isn’t a game changer for me. 

54 hole no cut format: My only complaint about this is that it isn’t a 72 hole no cut format. When I’m watching a PGA event and the field is a little thin, if/when my favorite players get cut, my level of interest drops accordingly. I love that I can plan on seeing my favorite players every single day. There have been times I have watched for hours on a Thursday and Friday and then almost none on Saturday and Sunday because of who did/didn’t get cut. 

What say you?

Agree on the mic-in-the-cup... kind of novel at first but a bit gimicky as times rolls along.

I also like the mic'd up caddies.  It's fun listening to their discussions.  Like Stenson yesterday with he and his caddie going back n' forth over taking an unplayable or going back to the tee.  Also fun hear Brook's f-bomb himself on a wayward shot. 😆

Like the team format because it does add a game inside the game.  It also adds more motivation to players to play well.  Plus, I do think this is going to evolve into a pseudo Ryder Cup like contest.  For some reason, their format and overall vibe has likeness with FIFA soccer... and we know how popular that is on the world stage.

I think their broadcast team is doing a great job and the addition of Feherty is huge IMO. Free, commercial-free... pinch me 👍.

I have no issue with a 54 hole format.  I enjoy watching Champions Tour events as much or more than tour events and, except for majors, think a 3 day test is just fine.  I would like to see a Friday "make the cut or go home" and I suspect LIV will eventually move to that format once they have enough players on the tour.  

The shotgun start is good too.  I watched all of yesterday's round in 5 hours... awesome!  It also makes playing conditions much fairer... game is hard enough w/o a bad draw on tee time and inclement weather.  That said, if they move to a Friday cut format, it will put a wrinkle in this.

The background music is a meh for me... but I'm an old Curmudgeon. 

3 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

The background music is a meh for me... but I'm an old Curmudgeon. 

So I hadn’t actually noticed the background music but I’ll keep an ear out for it. 

I do think that a lot of times golf is too “stuffy” and proper. I wish, maybe more than anything, that people were allowed to just talk as they please. Few sporting events require absolute silence when people are playing. If it was just the new norm, it wouldn’t be an issue. In my rounds with my buddies, music and talking is encouraged as long as it isn’t malicious. I am sure I am in the minority on that last part but it makes the game more fun. I hate trying to have a conversation with friends and keep having to pause every time someone steps up to the box. Hate me if you want. 😂

43 minutes ago, PeterHenric said:

So I hadn’t actually noticed the background music but I’ll keep an ear out for it. 

I do think that a lot of times golf is too “stuffy” and proper. I wish, maybe more than anything, that people were allowed to just talk as they please. Few sporting events require absolute silence when people are playing. If it was just the new norm, it wouldn’t be an issue. In my rounds with my buddies, music and talking is encouraged as long as it isn’t malicious. I am sure I am in the minority on that last part but it makes the game more fun. I hate trying to have a conversation with friends and keep having to pause every time someone steps up to the box. Hate me if you want. 😂

With some of players here I think there’s something wrong when they stop talking!!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Pat Perez gonna get traded off of 4aces if he keeps this play up. All of them at 5 under them PP at 5 over. Yikes.

24 minutes ago, Rickp said:

With some of players here I think there’s something wrong when they stop talking!!

RU saying the Bacon Boyz are rowdy and loud on the course? 😆

14 minutes ago, PeterHenric said:

Pat Perez gonna get traded off of 4aces if he keeps this play up. All of them at 5 under them PP at 5 over. Yikes.

Could be. He just cannot seem to keep any positive momentum going.  But, his score counts today and he's one under thus far. This is the aspect of the team play that makes it interesting... the game within the game.  Even a player out of the individual contest can be the difference in a team win.  And all of these guys are pre-wired to be competitive.

I think I read that next years teams will be locked with no roster changes (maybe short of injury?). Not sure how that will play out or if it's a good change.  There is a whole lot about the team format and rules that will be interesting to follow.

This kid from Thailand sure has game.  I've not heard of him before and it's cool getting to see new world class players.

image.png.12a35a1b3e13ef7b180bbf05ff48ca53.png

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

RU saying the Bacon Boyz are rowdy and loud on the course? 😆

Could be. He just cannot seem to keep any positive momentum going.  But, his score counts today and he's one under thus far. This is the aspect of the team play that makes it interesting... the game within the game.  Even a player out of the individual contest can be the difference in a team win.  And all of these guys are pre-wired to be competitive.

I think I read that next years teams will be locked with no roster changes (maybe short of injury?). Not sure how that will play out or if it's a good change.  There is a whole lot about the team format and rules that will be interesting to follow.

This kid from Thailand sure has game.  I've not heard of him before and it's cool getting to see new world class players.

image.png.12a35a1b3e13ef7b180bbf05ff48ca53.png

Some of the Boyz NEVER shut up. Of course they have no clue on what they’re talking about….

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list