Liv Golf Central Thread: Events and News

Thin2win

50 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Exactly. No idea how much money goes out in expenses. All that and he still has to pay for his house and all related expenses, vehicles, whatever else the family needs. 

He’s been a pro for 25 years, so if we use the $26million stated earlier it’s just over $1million gross/year average. It’s not as much a some people think it is. 

Then factor in his age and that his earning potential on the pga tour is going to drop every year and he would probably need to play the champions tour to have some form of money coming in which means more time on the road and away from family.  Now with live he’s probably going to get that $26million and possibly more for signing with them plus his earnings from no cut events, less time. Way from family and may not have to play the champions tour if he doesn’t want to. So even more time with the family 

There is a disconnect here. You make it sound like he would be having trouble making a mortgage payment and paying the electric bills. The biggest expenses are taxes and his caddy (which is probably tax deductible). The rest (travel expenses, lawyer fees, etc.) is relatively small. 

The $1 million is not disappearing by any means. At a minimum after taxes and expenses $1 million would translate into netting $650k.

• Hmmm 1

14 minutes ago, LICC said:

There is a disconnect here. You make it sound like he would be having trouble making a mortgage payment and paying the electric bills. The biggest expenses are taxes and his caddy (which is probably tax deductible). The rest (travel expenses, lawyer fees, etc.) is relatively small. 

The $1 million is not disappearing by any means. At a minimum after taxes and expenses $1 million would translate into netting $650k.

What I’m saying is you don’t get to determine what is enough money that someone has already made or what they think they need to secure their families future.

How do you know what he pays for his lawyers, attorney, or any other expenses he has related to being a self employed person. Most of those things range in the 10+% range.

It’s none of your business what his financials are or what he needs. That’s just being petty and jealous of another persons success. 

by your logic athletes in other sports shouldn’t leave the team they are with or take more money from their current team because they’ve already made enough money and staying at the current pay is more than enough.

Hes choosing the best situation that gives him the freedom of how he wants to spend his time.

🏻

• Like 3

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Legit question - are there equipment trucks from the major OEMs there? I know for some of the smaller tourneys and LPGA they have a few general equipment guys but not necessarily OEM specific.

Interesting angle as Phil is tinkerer, P Reed seems like someone who would want to try out multiple custom grinds etc.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

7 minutes ago, TBS said:

Legit question - are there equipment trucks from the major OEMs there? I know for some of the smaller tourneys and LPGA they have a few general equipment guys but not necessarily OEM specific.

Interesting angle as Phil is tinkerer, P Reed seems like someone who would want to try out multiple custom grinds etc.

No.  There was a story on WRX about this.  There is a trailer there from a non equipment company that is taking care of any club building needs.

• Like 7

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:  logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1

Backups:  :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2,

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

22 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

What I’m saying is you don’t get to determine what is enough money that someone has already made or what they think they need to secure their families future.

How do you know what he pays for his lawyers, attorney, or any other expenses he has related to being a self employed person. Most of those things range in the 10+% range.

It’s none of your business what his financials are or what he needs. That’s just being petty and jealous of another persons success. 

by your logic athletes in other sports shouldn’t leave the team they are with or take more money from their current team because they’ve already made enough money and staying at the current pay is more than enough.

Hes choosing the best situation that gives him the freedom of how he wants to spend his time.

🏻

I and anyone else can easily determine that $26 million in career earnings is well more than enough to provide a secure lifestyle for anyone’s family. 

I’m not jealous of anyone. I’m just not ignoring the fact that these players are choosing to be stooges for the Saudis fir the sole reason of making more money. I’m not falsely justifying it by saying they have to do this to avoid family financial struggles. 

Athletes who switch teams aren’t sportswashing stooges. 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, cnosil said:

No.  There was a story on WRX about this.  There is a trailer there from a non equipment company that is taking care of any club building needs.

https://www.golfwrx.com/680317/inside-scoop-heres-how-the-liv-golf-tour-will-handle-on-site-equipment-needs-for-players-at-each-u-s-event/

Here's the link if anyone is curious. I wonder how the golfers feel about it when they are used to multiple equipment trucks. They may not care tbh.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

My goodness I despise this whole topic. 

They as individuals can choose what they want. We don't have to like it or agree with it, but our opinions are quite frankly not going to make a dent in what happens. 

Don't like it or like it, care or not care this thing is going forward. 

For all, feel free to state opinions as this is what the forum is for, both also recognize members are going to have theirs which may not line up with another members. That is okay.

Added to the that the chance of anyone changing anyone's mind here is slim to none. Find a way to accept that and move on.

image.png.27c49e9aa8a7e026229d675bd9f80810.png

• Like 3

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 1ef73718.png Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - 1ef73718.png Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - default_ping-small.jpg Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - default_titelist-small.jpg Tour Soft

3 minutes ago, shootmyage said:

i do not blame any player for going to the liv tour , good for them , its their life , i would do the same thing ., everyone keeps saying how bad the saudi government is , i agree  , we import 550,000 barrels of oil a day ( 55 million $$ ) from the saudi's , i guess i will have to start riding my bicycle .

china has worse human rights than any country on earth , i guess i will throw my golf clubs in a lake and shop for persimmon or laminated walnut driver , old wilson irons .

as far as the idiot reporters asking the stupid questions , there is not one of them that would not quit his job if he was offered 3-5 times the money he is making now and work around 50 days a year .and get a great sign in bonus .

its just a golf game , golfers are people just trying to live their life .

This type of argument has been discussed at length earlier in the thread. Let's try to keep comments new/fresh and differing perspectives.

• Like 4

Looks like a hybrid setup. Having played both courses this will be interesting to see. Might just watch to see the courses again. 

F6379BCC-2CFE-4ED1-89D4-B00AF662DDC6.jpeg

• Like 3

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F5 hybrid soft stepped

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long 

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1:2021 Phantom X5 35"

Ball:    :srixon-small: Z Star XV (back up balls :titleist-small:ProV1 Left Dot,  :OnCore:Vero X1, :titelist-small: proV1)

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer lite

My Reviews:

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

1 hour ago, TBS said:

This type of argument has been discussed at length earlier in the thread. Let's try to keep comments new/fresh and differing perspectives.

Unfortunately this whole thread has become an exercise in beating POVs to death over and over - and bickering. Add new entrants who are just jumping in to “discover” their POV, and it’s tiresome. There’s not much new of significance now, all we can do is see how it plays out over the years ahead. What are the only possibly newsworthy inflections to come besides:

• Major eligibility,
  • sponsors moves,
  • OWGR or
  • several truly current marquee PGA players defecting

I’m not following this thread much anymore - for those who will undoubtedly tell me to just quit reading/posting.

• Like 1
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B Fit@TrueSpec ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Adidas Codechaos, FJ DryJoys

40 minutes ago, Middler said:

Unfortunately this whole thread has become an exercise in beating POVs to death over and over - and bickering. Add new entrants who are just jumping in to “discover” their POV, and it’s tiresome. There’s not much new of significance now, all we can do is see how it plays out over the years ahead. What are the only possibly newsworthy inflections to come besides:

• Major eligibility,
  • sponsors moves,
  • OWGR or
  • several truly current marquee PGA players defecting

I’m not following this thread much anymore - for those who will undoubtedly tell me to just quit reading/posting.

I feel ya. Let's commit to calling out recurring posts. This is a fun topic to talk about but not when its the same arguments for/against constantly.

Only thing to add to @Middler's list is

- LIV event coverage

- Player statements on either side

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BIG STU said:

From reading some of my feeds honestly one does not know what is true or not. Shots being fired from both sides. And yes like on here and any other social media platforms they are various opinions.

Stu, there is always 3 sides to every story.

• Like 4

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  7 - PW T100S, 4 -6 T200 all with Nippon NS Pro 880 AMC Chrome Stiff 

Irons: :cobra-small: 4 - PW King Forged Tec with Aerotech Steelfiber I95 Stiff

Wedges:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 56*, 60*  Standard Wedge Shafts   

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5           
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1 or Maxfli Tour

5 hours ago, LICC said:

I’m no CPA but I have no idea how you came up with that number of netting $650k. You’re in the 30+% federal tax rate. Add in state taxes and that could get you close to 40-50% taxes. I don’t know what a caddy makes as far as percentages but I’d guess it would be around 10%?

all of his expenses are tax deductible but they are still expenses. 

• Like 3

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 10.5º (Mitsubishi Diamana PD Stiff)

3 Wood: Taylormade Stealth 15º (Fujikura Ventus Red 5 Stiff)

Driving Iron: Taylormade Stealth DHY 2 (Aldila Ascent Graphite Stiff)

Irons: Taylormade Stealth 4-Gap (Fujikura Ventus Blue Graphite 7S Stiff)

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 52º (True Temper Tour Issue S200) Vokey SM8 56º 10S (AMT Black Wedge Flex)

Putter: Odyssey Eleven Stroke Lab (Center Shaft)

Ball: MaxFli Tour X CG, Taylormade Tour Response Stripe, Titleist AVX

Fitted for all clubs from irons on up.

Tested: Tommy Armour Impact No. 3 (LINK)

Unofficially Tested: Odyssey One Black (LINK)

Shot Tracking App: Golf Pad GPS

So who else plans to watch the Pumpkin Ridge event?  I missed most of the London YT feed but plan to watch this event so I can get a better perspective on how this format and coverage compares.  

Just poking around the LIV website, I can say that they have lots of improvement opportunity... kind of kludgy and unimpressive. For instance, you need a magnifying glass to read much of the subtext.  When clicking the "watch" link, it takes you too the London event.  Granted the event hasn't yet started (still and hour to go), but at least a "stay tuned" screen would be nice.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

47 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

So who else plans to watch the Pumpkin Ridge event?

Watching now but have no idea what's going on.  LIV website says coverage starts @ 4:00pm EST but there is feed on YouTube as I type and some kind of countdown timer on the screen.  Confusing.

edit...maybe that was first event in London🤣

Edited by MacTourney
  • Haha 1

:macgregor-small:  :benhogan-small: :cobra-small:

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

So who else plans to watch the Pumpkin Ridge event? 

Honestly, I have no interest in watching the events from LIV at this point, and it has nothing to do with my thoughts on the controversies surrounding the funding or the players themselves.  It just doesn't jack my interest. 

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBSTour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

2 hours ago, PeterHenric said:

I’m no CPA but I have no idea how you came up with that number of netting $650k. You’re in the 30+% federal tax rate. Add in state taxes and that could get you close to 40-50% taxes. I don’t know what a caddy makes as far as percentages but I’d guess it would be around 10%?

all of his expenses are tax deductible but they are still expenses. 

That 30%+ is a marginal rate, not effective rate. At that income, less the expense and other deductions, an effective rate would be closer to 25%

it varies depending on performance but generally caddies get 5%. 

52 minutes ago, MacTourney said:

Watching now but have no idea what's going on.  LIV website says coverage starts @ 4:00pm EST but there is feed on YouTube as I type and some kind of countdown timer on the screen.  Confusing.

edit...maybe that was first event in London🤣

It started on the horn - that's weird.  I will say that it is non-stop shot after shot after shot.  I like that you basically see almost every player on the course making shots as they rotate through the field.  I've already seen Na and Poulter go OB; Na just smoking one over the grandstand, and Poult's ball hitting a fan and careening OB 😆. Pumpkin Ridge looks pretty awesome.  It would be fun to see a PGA event played there.  Definitely lots of patrons on the grounds; will be interested to see the gate attendance totals.

I've heard two f-bombs in the first few minutes (player/caddy exchange)... guess they don't care about tape delay 😱.

Don't know for sure, but it looks like PReed may have signed the first LIV logo deal as his hat and shirt are both sporting the logo.  I wonder if that was a contract bonus option? 

The teams for this event are group by nationality which gives it a little RC vibe.

• Like 3

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

Haha yeah I've heard two f-bombs from Wolff's caddie, and the one was really obvious - "that thing came out really f-ing flat!". Commentators noted it but didn't apologize for it at all (fine by me, just used to tv broadcasts where they right away apologize for any profanity).

I really enjoyed the quick segment with DJ from Troy Mullins - a chat about his equipment, shaft weights and swing weights, 9-wood vs 3-iron, etc.

• Like 4

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
4 Hybrid - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Mitsubishi MMT 80 S

Irons - :cobra-small:Radspeed 5-GW, KBS $-Taper Lite S
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV