TESTERS WANTED! ×

Liv Golf Central Thread: Events and News

Thin2win
Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

We haven't had to say this in a while, but as a reminder to all that we are keeping this thread to the golf/signings and related content.

We are not going to get into the politics of it all and where the money is coming from etc.

If you wish to comment on that aspect of it all please feel free to do so on other platforms. Not here.

While much of LIV has become more accepted over the years there are still those who feel strongly against it and the backing. We respect all those who are both for and against LIV, however will not tolerate going into the weeds of all the "other stuff"

If you are not sure whether you should post something either ask a mod or don't post it. 

As we have before we will continue to moderate, remove or edit posts that go against our moral code and members will receive alerts or warnings to follow.

Thank you

Forum Staff 

Just watched the LIV interesting format with team event. Party atmosphere. Wonder if it will survive. Golf wasn't the best, but I say give it a chance. 

It's great for the golfers to only have to play 8 events and have a home life. Especially for the about to me senior guys, no way they would make this money on the Champions tour. 

Take it back and let it go

I watched the entire final round and I enjoyed it. I like the shotgun start and liked the team aspect. Considering this was there 1st event, I'd say it was well done.

Driver: :cobra-small: LTDx
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 5 Hybrid

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 6-AW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   
bloodline(2).png.8f7245797de1f39b93a647d0292c1b2b.png Vale
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

I enjoyed what I saw of it. Shwartzel was definitely playing better than anyone and deserved the win.

One thing has been nagging me a bit- with a field of 48 do they boot the underperforming players to make room for Dechambeau, Reed and Perez? Honestly, that would make it a bit more interesting for me. Sure you're guaranteed $120k for being in the field, but you're not guaranteed a spot next time. There's a bit of drama if Koepka or Na gave up tour status for 1x checks....

Mostly :taylormade-small: ITB. SIMMs, P790s...etc

Won't you pour me a Cuban Breeze, Gretchen?

From golfers only point of view, obviously most lucrative, many are getting paid more signing bonus money than their lifetime golf earnings in golf and top prize money for individuals and teams for each event. Great place for golfers to go who want to reduce time away golfing with the very restricted eg. 8 events a year and multiple times earning vs PGA.

Great for golfer viewer because it is totally free to watch and you can watch it whenever you want, don't have to watch it live so you can go golfing on weekends and then watch it at night.

LIV never has to make money so it will be around forever because of the wealth of the backers and reason for its creation.

Have to give a big admiration to Tiger for turning down likely close to billion dollars to be on this tour and to Jack for turning down $100M. The reduced schedule of 8 events and only 3 days (54 holes) with shot gun starts would be perfect for Tiger because of all of his injuries and inability to play regular PGA golf.

Having Bryson will be good for this tour since he can be a big draw to watch him be the big hitter and risk taker. Having Patrick Reed is also a big bonus as he is the bad boy cheater of golf and obviously will continue with all that money on the line so again will draw viewers.

Another great example of why LIV showing more shots is such a big deal... Switched from featured group coverage to the broadcast and missed out on numerous shots while Faldo and Nantz pontificated about LIV and then switched to course details, to show 2 shots of Thomas (who was co-leader until a few minutes ago) before breaking to commercial. UGH...

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

2 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

Another great example of why LIV showing more shots is such a big deal... Switched from featured group coverage to the broadcast and missed out on numerous shots while Faldo and Nantz pontificated about LIV and then switched to course details, to show 2 shots of Thomas (who was co-leader until a few minutes ago) before breaking to commercial. UGH...

As much as i get that. I watch on Eurosport and yeah it's in Italian or German, but there is maybe one commercial per hour. 

Sky is much better so well.

Sucks for everyone in US and Canada who get 3 commercial breaks every 12 minutes, but that isn't the viewing experience worldwide.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

As much as i get that. I watch on Eurosport and yeah it's in Italian or German, but there is maybe one commercial per hour. 

Sky is much better so well.

Sucks for everyone in US and Canada who get 3 commercial breaks every 12 minutes, but that isn't the viewing experience worldwide.

I am from Canada and watched LIV on their website yesterday no commercials, I watched it not live, best way to watch don't have to waste your weekday/ weekend days to watch all the golf coverage. Good for viewers, free to watch.

Here's the next wave of players; based on reports:

Rickie Fowler, Matthew Wolff, Pat Perez, Jason Kokrak

https://progolfweekly.com/rickie-fowler-matthew-wolff-among-latest-names-to-join-liv-golf/

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Just now, Hacker1 said:

Great thing about LIV is you will likely be able to binge watch it on free streaming, like TV now a days who watches live TV when you can stream it at your convenience.

Bases on the above I guess LIV will grow the game because if you like LIV golf you will golf more on weekends etc. instead of staying at home and watching the PGA on TV.

Again no comment or opinion on why it started and the reason for its existence and if it should exist or why it exists (excessive greed on all parties) because per the thread and moderators that topic is off limits.

4 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

Watched James Wiltshire's latest video from LIV and a few things stuck out to me:

#1 There's a lot of interest in seeing these guys play regardless of the funding.

#2 The potential for viewership and reach far exceeds that of the PGA Tour due to the welcoming of personalities such as James posting content to their own channels. Obviously, if you follow James at all you know he was invited and granted special access by LIV, but allowing him to create his own content rather than having him as a "guest" on their programming is different and something I quite enjoy.

#3 This course does not look easy. I don't actually know anything about it, but based on what I've seen from the LIV feed and JW's channel there are some remarkably tough tee shots with trouble on both sides, native grass areas that IMO are much more penal than the even cut rough at the RBC and the wind has been blowing quite a bit from my understanding. I think I am more surprised by Schwartzel playing at -9 than I am by the number of players who are over par.

#4 (Watching the LIV feed) We get to see a LOT of golf from golfers I've never heard of, can't pronounce half their names, and that's kinda cool. I'd hate to watch featured group type coverage of a bunch of golfers I don't know, but getting to see snippets of them is great IMO.

#5 (Related to #4) I like the updated scoring on the left of the screen, but I find it difficult to understand who's who sometimes based on how they shortened the names. I'd love to seem them play around with this a bit more.

I'm not saying I am pro-LIV, but I'm certainly not against some of the things they are trying. Would love to see some of these attempted on the PGA Tour.

I like this concept because it's so different, tbh I'm really pissxx at what is the current PGA setup video with the comment by the same guys. I've just watched Mrshortgame Inside the ropes which was good and a different view.

16549831855551790543373.jpg

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

10 hours ago, LICC said:

It’s all new and something like this hasn’t happened in golf before. By the fourth or fifth event let’s see how much coverage and discussion LIV gets. Unless it gets more top players I’m guessing the interest, coverage, and discussions will subside. 

I agree with you there--- Right now it is THE hot button topic----- 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

Here's the next wave of players; based on reports:

Rickie Fowler, Matthew Wolff, Pat Perez, Jason Kokrak

https://progolfweekly.com/rickie-fowler-matthew-wolff-among-latest-names-to-join-liv-golf/

Let’s be real, no one’s going to miss them from the PGA Tour since they haven’t been seen on a Sunday in ages. 

For all this talk about money and how amazing the tour is they’re still not getting any names aside from DJ. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

52 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Let’s be real, no one’s going to miss them from the PGA Tour since they haven’t been seen on a Sunday in ages. 

For all this talk about money and how amazing the tour is they’re still not getting any names aside from DJ. 

Bryson and Reed aren’t just nobodies. They may not be liked by a segment of the population but Bryson did bring attention to the single length irons and from what I’ve read helped cobra in iron sales that were already mediocre at best. For Reed those who hate him changed that mindset even if for a little bit during the Ryder Cup.

DJ, Bryson and Reed jumping ship will have an impact on others joining. If they get Rickie it’s another name. Yes he’s struggling but you take away the stress of trying to make a cut, less holes to play and less tournaments he can easily sneak up on the leaderboard and win some events, but he will bring more eyes. He is carrying Puma golf and his approach to the game and how he acts created a big Rickie fan base.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

39 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Bryson and Reed aren’t just nobodies. They may not be liked by a segment of the population but Bryson did bring attention to the single length irons and from what I’ve read helped cobra in iron sales that were already mediocre at best. For Reed those who hate him changed that mindset even if for a little bit during the Ryder Cup.

DJ, Bryson and Reed jumping ship will have an impact on others joining. If they get Rickie it’s another name. Yes he’s struggling but you take away the stress of trying to make a cut, less holes to play and less tournaments he can easily sneak up on the leaderboard and win some events, but he will bring more eyes. He is carrying Puma golf and his approach to the game and how he acts created a big Rickie fan base.

Never said they were nobodies - but they are second tier at best when compared to the PGA field. So again - if this league is so great we’ll see when the names that are real draws jump over. If that even happens. Until then it’s all B listers in the grand scheme of things. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

6 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Next years PGA Tour is going to look much much different… I bet a record number of KFT players earn their “card”… kind of scary to think about.  If I were the PGA Tour, I would have a team working on how to make it better… and fast.  Real fast.

My thought is that after year 1 this is who LIV goes after.   Start trying to get some of the bigger names and them take the up and comers and dry up the talent feed to the PGA tour.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

My thought is that after year 1 this is who LIV goes after.   Start trying to get some of the bigger names and them take the up and comers and dry up the talent feed to the PGA tour.  

I'm betting Liv already have plans for a second level tournament play, they must realize if Liv is to be successful they will have too many players and or expand the field size. The one thing I love about the Liv setup is paying the caddies, I've not seen any numbers just seen comment on this. Can't wait to what the future holds and not paying skysport lol, priceless...

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

Only about halfway through James Wiltshire's latest, but I'm loving his inside-the-ropes perspective. Of particular note, seeing Phil and DJ from this angle really highlights how good the pros putt. Seems like most angles on PGA Tour feeds wash out all the slopes and it just doesn't translate quite as well. We all know they're good, but some of these putts just look next-level.

EDIT: He also has a brief exchange with Mr. Short Game which is pretty cool.

13 hours ago, Bang60 said:

I like this concept because it's so different, tbh I'm really pissxx at what is the current PGA setup video with the comment by the same guys. I've just watched Mrshortgame Inside the ropes which was good and a different view.

Just watched this and one thing he said early on that really struck a chord is when he talked about never having done a pro-am before despite being invited or having pitched ideas to "the other tour" because they always denied him the ability to film his own content. He said, "I have tried to do this kind of stuff on the other places before. The sad thing is it's just all be denied, but here everything's been yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. I haven't had one no yet! It may come, but it just hasn't happened."

40 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

Only about halfway through James Wiltshire's latest, but I'm loving his inside-the-ropes perspective. Of particular note, seeing Phil and DJ from this angle really highlights how good the pros putt. Seems like most angles on PGA Tour feeds wash out all the slopes and it just doesn't translate quite as well. We all know they're good, but some of these putts just look next-level.

EDIT: He also has a brief exchange with Mr. Short Game which is pretty cool.

And looking at some of those pins from the perspective of the players is WAY more impressive than typical TV coverage. I can't imagine the course is set up much different than a typical tour event, but seeing from the player's perspective was eye opening for me.

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

7 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

And looking at some of those pins from the perspective of the players is WAY more impressive than typical TV coverage. I can't imagine the course is set up much different than a typical tour event, but seeing from the player's perspective was eye opening for me.

Agree. I wish the normal coverage would leave the views of approaches and pitch shots from the angle behind the player through the end of the shot. They always cut to the green midway. 

LIV Golf

• 48 players
  • 14 name players (others who?)
  • 40 average age (lots of has beens)
  • 100th average world ranking
  • These 48 managed 12 top tens in 178 PGA starts this year.

per Brandel Chamblee https://danpatrick.com/2022/06/09/br...i-golf-league/

yawn…

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

I watched 90% of the three rounds on Youtube. I enjoyed the format and i hope the major tours will adapt it. What i did not like, was the regular mentioning about the price money and this live changers for the players by the commentators. I will watch the next tournament for sure. 

• Cobra Radspeed Driver 12 degree, adusted down to 11 degree loft stiff shaft
  • Cobra Radspeed 3 Wood stiff shaft
  • TaylorMade GAPR Mid stiff shaft
  • Mizuno JPX Hote Metal 921 3-PW Steelshaft regular
  • Taylor Made Milled Grind 2 50,54,58 loft wedges
  • Evnroll ER1.2 blade Putter
  • Seed SD01 Balls and when i am playing bad Srixon AD-333. I won a pack of Wilson Staff Triad and played it the last four rounds. This could be my choice for the near future.

Didn’t watch a shot, won’t watch a shot in the future. 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

After digesting this whole LIV Tour… I hate it.  It is exactly what golf does not need.  We don’t need louder, more pompous golf… all this does is open the door for the golf bro’s and their stupid antics on the course.

Shut it down.

The Wasted Management events planning group has probably been called in ahead of schedule to begin working on a counter-response.  Nobody's gonna just waltz in and take over their #1 position in pro golf. 

I'm as old school on protecting the "yesteryears" of golf as anyone, but this seems to be what the modern fan base wants, so go with the flow.  If this is LIV's format, I just won't attend their events - leaving them to those who like the party atmosphere. Certainly the PGA and their event hosts won't feel compelled to follow LIV's lead, right?  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

3 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

The Wasted Management events planning group has probably been called in ahead of schedule to begin working on a counter-response.  Nobody's gonna just waltz in and take over their #1 position in pro golf. 

I'm as old school on protecting the "yesteryears" of golf as anyone, but this seems to be what the modern fan base wants, so go with the flow.  If this is LIV's format, I just won't attend their events - leaving them to those who like the party atmosphere. Certainly the PGA and their event hosts won't feel compelled to follow LIV's lead, right?  

Right.  But this game needs to be protected from what “the fans” want…  everything doesn’t need to be a party all the time.

5 hours ago, Shankster said:

Right.  But this game needs to be protected from what “the fans” want…  everything doesn’t need to be a party all the time.

That hasn't worked very well for most all other pro sports.  I went to my one and only FIFA soccer game in Unna, Germany... those fans make the WM look like a knitting circle. 🙂

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.