TESTERS WANTED! ×

Wilson/Staff D9 Forged - oh baby

russtopherb

I've tried these at a couple of demo days I've done. They are ridiculously easy to hit. I was bundled up with multiple layers, a winter coat and some thinner under armour winter gloves (welcome to demo days in Michigan!) and I could still find the middle or close to it with these things.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

Taking these out again tomorow.  Temps are supposed to be in the 70’s.  So I should get a better “feel” for them.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I attended a Wilson demo day yesterday just to see and hit the D9 forged.  My first impression, WOWIE, ZOWIE !!! 

Indoor Trackman simulator, so take it for what it's worth.  Beautiful looking to boot.

For context, I should share that I just purchased new PXG 0211 DC irons over the winter, so I probably should not have even gone.   Hitting them side by side, 7 iron only of course, the Wilson's won on distance and feel.  Forgiveness was neck and neck.  All close to be sure, but Wilson had the edge.

I gamed the C200's for a few years, just really loved them, but they no longer match my swing.  I have a buddy trying them out right now who has been struggling with his iron play for years, and so far, he is gushing about what he's seen so far.

Suffice it to say, I'm trying to figure out how I can convince my wife that I need to get rid of my new clubs, and buy new, new clubs.  Fat chance of that happening.

Is it bad form to nominate myself to be an official tester (if one comes out) for these irons?  I know my specs from the demo day, so it would be an easy order.  Just saying.

Of course it is bad form, but let's just call it "campaigning".   That way I can assuage my guilt, and make it sound better. 

Would that be fair  ??????

:srixon-small:      ZX7 Driver 9.5 Stiff flex Smoke Black shaft

:taylormade-small:   3HL 17 Rocketballz Matrix Ozik Stiff

:wilson_staff_small: C300 Hybrids 20. 23 Fujikura Speeder Stiff

:taylormade-small:   Stealth 5- GW Ventus Red 6-R

(Sorry, no Edison logo as of yet)   Edison 49 and 55 degree wedges                                                               :cleveland-small: RTX 4 56/8  64/6 Raw Wedges

:EVNROLL:  ER5 CS 35 in putter

:ShotScope:  V3 GPS Shot tracker watch

:OnCore:   OnCore Elixr

1 hour ago, sellemental said:

I attended a Wilson demo day yesterday just to see and hit the D9 forged.  My first impression, WOWIE, ZOWIE !!! 

Indoor Trackman simulator, so take it for what it's worth.  Beautiful looking to boot.

For context, I should share that I just purchased new PXG 0211 DC irons over the winter, so I probably should not have even gone.   Hitting them side by side, 7 iron only of course, the Wilson's won on distance and feel.  Forgiveness was neck and neck.  All close to be sure, but Wilson had the edge.

I gamed the C200's for a few years, just really loved them, but they no longer match my swing.  I have a buddy trying them out right now who has been struggling with his iron play for years, and so far, he is gushing about what he's seen so far.

Suffice it to say, I'm trying to figure out how I can convince my wife that I need to get rid of my new clubs, and buy new, new clubs.  Fat chance of that happening.

Is it bad form to nominate myself to be an official tester (if one comes out) for these irons?  I know my specs from the demo day, so it would be an easy order.  Just saying.

Of course it is bad form, but let's just call it "campaigning".   That way I can assuage my guilt, and make it sound better. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

@Golfspy_CG2is about 9 days from putting up a very lightly used set for sale. I hear he has queued up an order for a set of cobra Forged tecs 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

16 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

@Golfspy_CG2is about 9 days from putting up a very lightly used set for sale. I hear he has queued up an order for a set of cobra Forged tecs 

Well maybe not that fast, and those damn Stealths are still living in my head as well.  I hope @sellemental isn't the same specs as me as a solid offer could catch my ear...ha

About the only brand new release I have ruled out are the 525.  I hit a friends and didn't like them at all, fortunately I hit them before he traded them back in 2 days after buying them...ha   Just don't have the feel of the I500 from what I recall. 

2 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Well maybe not that fast, and those damn Stealths are still living in my head as well.  I hope @sellemental isn't the same specs as me as a solid offer could catch my ear...ha

About the only brand new release I have ruled out are the 525.  I hit a friends and didn't like them at all, fortunately I hit them before he traded them back in 2 days after buying them...ha   Just don't have the feel of the I500 from what I recall. 

Too scared to even mention I even went to the wife yet, but since she's out of the room, my best numbers were with the regular flex Dart shaft, standard length, loft, and plus 1 degree lie angle.  I'll check back in 9 days, LOL !

(Sorry, no Edison logo as of yet)   Edison 49 and 55 degree wedges                                                               :cleveland-small: RTX 4 56/8  64/6 Raw Wedges

Too scared to even mention I even went to the wife yet, but since she's out of the room, my best numbers were with the regular flex Dart shaft, standard length, loft, and plus 1 degree lie angle.  I'll check back in 9 days, LOL !

In the words of the late great Alex Trebek.  “Oh so Clooose”

so if you are OCD about your specs.  You’re probably safe. These are 

Nippon Modus 105 R 

1/2 long 

2 degrees up 

recoil dart was the 2nd recommendation thst the shaft analyzer suggested. If I hadn’t had good success with Nippon before..I would have gone Dart 

44 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

In the words of the late great Alex Trebek.  “Oh so Clooose”

so if you are OCD about your specs.  You’re probably safe. These are 

Nippon Modus 105 R 

1/2 long 

2 degrees up 

recoil dart was the 2nd recommendation thst the shaft analyzer suggested. If I hadn’t had good success with Nippon before..I would have gone Dart 

Sooooooooo how are the D9's!?

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

1 hour ago, JohnSmalls said:

Sooooooooo how are the D9's!?

Jury is still out.  Solid strikes are oh soooo nice.  Misses are not as forgiving as I had hoped being they are part of the D9 family.  But still better than the 223.  

I hit a handful of just pured shots with them in my 2nd round.  But too many thin noises for my liking. 

• 1 month later...

Haven't seen any new comments on how they are performing for you.   Probably hitting them so well you won't leave the course, right ?  If you get a rainy day to jump on and provide some new info, well, that would be cool.

As for me, I'm scavenging anything I can trade in to Rock Bottom to get enough of a balance to order the D9's at little to no cost out of pocket.  I'll still get a "Are you kidding me look", but easy enough to explain.  Will probably have enough by the time  the D10 forged irons come out.  Fingers are still crossed for a MGS testing opportunity, but beginning to cramp up a bit.

On 5/29/2022 at 7:58 AM, sellemental said:

Haven't seen any new comments on how they are performing for you.   Probably hitting them so well you won't leave the course, right ?  If you get a rainy day to jump on and provide some new info, well, that would be cool.

As for me, I'm scavenging anything I can trade in to Rock Bottom to get enough of a balance to order the D9's at little to no cost out of pocket.  I'll still get a "Are you kidding me look", but easy enough to explain.  Will probably have enough by the time  the D10 forged irons come out.  Fingers are still crossed for a MGS testing opportunity, but beginning to cramp up a bit.

Obviously you haven’t browsed the Buy/Sell/Trade section lately 😏

I’m sorry to say, it’s safe to uncross those fingers😒

8 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Obviously you haven’t browsed the Buy/Sell/Trade section lately 😏

I’m sorry to say, it’s safe to uncross those fingers😒

I forgot about that section completely, but saw your listing now.  For my own safety and checking account, I'm going to re-forget that section exists, lol.  Good luck with the sale.