TESTERS WANTED! ×

Cleveland Launcher xl halo hy-wood 18 Degree

ole gray

Well I picked up one of these fancy halo hy-wood hicky bobs yesterday. I've been having too many misses to the right with my Maverick 3 hybrid lately so after reading reviews and watching some videos, I took the plunge. Let me tell ya, this joker ain't no joke! Like ole George Jones sang "she's hotter than a two dollar pistol" is a fact Jack.  Check out the specs below and we'll chew the wad more on this puppy.

CLUB LOFT HEAD SIZE LIE ANGLE LENGTH SWINGWEIGHT
3+ Hy-Wood 18.0° 143cc 60.5° 41.5" D1 S/R/A

They claim it's a cross between a hybrid and a fairway wood.  It's what comes out after Lassie is bo-hawged by a wolf. It's smart with plenty of bad arse under the hood. It sets up great behind the ball and inspires all kinds of confidence. Then you take your first swing with it and your eyes light up like a june bug in a bass pond. This dawg will hunt! The ball comes off the face quicker than cake off a folk after Fat Albert's starvation diet.

I seriously wonder why Cleveland Golf doesn't have more interest in their hybrids, fairways, and drivers. They're such a big deal when it comes to wedges and I have three of my own so I know they make good stuff. Anyways I'll throw in a few pics and if anyone else owns one of these please share your thoughts in this thread.

Top.jpg

Bottom.jpg

face.jpg

Toe.jpg

shaft.jpg

headcover.jpg

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I’ve only had mine on the range a few times but so far it’s been nothing but straight ropes. I can’t wait to get it out on the course. I’m already liking it so much that I’m considering a Halo 5h. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

8 hours ago, russtopherb said:

I’ve only had mine on the range a few times but so far it’s been nothing but straight ropes. I can’t wait to get it out on the course. I’m already liking it so much that I’m considering a Halo 5h. 

Yea I'm totally blown away at how easy this club is to hit off the deck and the ball flight is money 😍

Cleveland

A lot of people see non-wedge Cleveland products as the cheaper sibling of Srixon or as a product for worse golfers. As someone who loves my CBX irons and HB hybrid, I understand where some are coming from that they're a little less workable than other products. At the same time, I've seen so many mid to high handicappers who just need more launch and an easier, straighter shot, which Cleveland does so well. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

15 minutes ago, MNUte said:

A lot of people see non-wedge Cleveland products as the cheaper sibling of Srixon or as a product for worse golfers. As someone who loves my CBX irons and HB hybrid, I understand where some are coming from that they're a little less workable than other products. At the same time, I've seen so many mid to high handicappers who just need more launch and an easier, straighter shot, which Cleveland does so well. 

My son's been to the range once with his CBX irons and already loves them. Great gear. And I totally agree - I don't need workable. I need high, straight, and reliable like so many other golfers. Cleveland seems to have that in spades. The Hy-Wood is no joke, I replaced my old Heavenwood with it and so far I'm not regretting that decision one bit.

42 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

My son's been to the range once with his CBX irons and already loves them. Great gear. And I totally agree - I don't need workable. I need high, straight, and reliable like so many other golfers. Cleveland seems to have that in spades. The Hy-Wood is no joke, I replaced my old Heavenwood with it and so far I'm not regretting that decision one bit.

I have my Callaway Maverick 3 hybrid 18 degree for sale on marketplace.  I'm a Hy-Wood Ho!💣

Cleveland

I decided to remove the counter balance weight by cutting off an inch and blowing the grip back on.  I was knocking the snot out of this club however I and more consistent with a shorter club plus I don't see any distance lost. In fact I'm more confident with this change which makes me put a smoother swing on the club. Wonderful results as I believe in shorter with more control. I'm 6'2" with long arms so I can get pretty wild with longer clubs. Anyways I am loving the accuracy and solid contact I am seeing with my recent modification.  Loving this club! 😍

Cleveland

3 hours ago, ole gray said:

I decided to remove the counter balance weight by cutting off an inch and blowing the grip back on.  I was knocking the snot out of this club however I and more consistent with a shorter club plus I don't see any distance lost. In fact I'm more confident with this change which makes me put a smoother swing on the club. Wonderful results as I believe in shorter with more control. I'm 6'2" with long arms so I can get pretty wild with longer clubs. Anyways I am loving the accuracy and solid contact I am seeing with my recent modification.  Loving this club! 😍

Sounds like the Accuracy Build may have been a better option for ya with both this and the irons, but either way glad to hear you're getting along with it!

Ole Gray, this space interests me when I go in for my next fitting to finish up with the bag ad I am the type of player who these clubs exists for. This is definitely under consideration as the blender from fairway wood to irons, as long as I can get it flatter as that lie angle is a bit upright for me

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

On 3/30/2022 at 9:42 AM, Berg Ryman said:

Ole Gray, this space interests me when I go in for my next fitting to finish up with the bag ad I am the type of player who these clubs exists for. This is definitely under consideration as the blender from fairway wood to irons, as long as I can get it flatter as that lie angle is a bit upright for me

I played with it in the Georgia mountains the last couple of days and it was solid! Long, easy to elevate, super easy to hit and it wants to go straight at the target. I would buy this club again in a heart beat. 

Cleveland

On 3/30/2022 at 8:55 AM, russtopherb said:

Sounds like the Accuracy Build may have been a better option for ya with both this and the irons, but either way glad to hear you're getting along with it!

I've been spooning it in my bed the last few nights. 😉   Cutting it down an inch brought me instance success with it.  It sets up beautifully and says let's whack the hell of that ball. 💣

Cleveland

• 5 weeks later...

Great post Ole Gray!
Did you find that the Hy-wood gave you any more distance than the Mavrik 3 hybrid?
Recently purchased the regular 3 hybrid in this Launcher XL lineup, loving it so far and carrying 200 yards.
So was wondering if the Hy-wood could give me an extra 10-20 yards to fill the gap between that and my driver, despite being the same loft (18°).
Sadly the Cleveland rep didn't have one for me to try and standard Fairway Woods are not my friend…

3 hours ago, Chris M said:

Great post Ole Gray!
Did you find that the Hy-wood gave you any more distance than the Mavrik 3 hybrid?
Recently purchased the regular 3 hybrid in this Launcher XL lineup, loving it so far and carrying 200 yards.
So was wondering if the Hy-wood could give me an extra 10-20 yards to fill the gap between that and my driver, despite being the same loft (18°).
Sadly the Cleveland rep didn't have one for me to try and standard Fairway Woods are not my friend…

Yes it's longer than my Mavrik was and just as easy to launch. It's like having a suped up hybrid on steroids.  The shaft length is longer which in it self will give you more distance however I didn't care for the counter balance.  It could work well for you however once I removed an inch off the butt end it was just as long because I like the look and feel of a shorter club which inspires confidence which improves center strikes. If you have the extra bucks I really don't think you will be sorry as this little dude is dynamite. 💣

Cleveland

Good afternoon OG,

After trimming the shaft and removing the counterweight, did you readjust the swing weight? Best to you.

:ping-small: G425 Max D 44" set to 13*

:ping-small: G430 SFT HL  5W set to 20.5*

:ping-small: G430 HL 5 Hybrid set to 27.5*

:cleveland-small: Launcher XL HALO Full Face 9I 38*

:cleveland-small: CBX2 ZipCore Full Face 54*

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach Soft Premiere 11S 34"

:ping-small: Hoofer Craz-E Lite

1 hour ago, WhoaNellie said:

Good afternoon OG,

After trimming the shaft and removing the counterweight, did you readjust the swing weight? Best to you.

No sir I left it as is.  I play my driver at 44.5 and never bother to try and change the swing weight back.  As long as it's working  I see no need to try and bring it back to factory specs. 

Cleveland

Any comparison to the Apex UW?  Seems like same type of Hywood.  

Driver: Cobra Aerojet 9* Ventus Red 5S shaft

3W: Cobra Aerojet Max 

Cobra LTDx 3H-5H

7-PW Callaway Rogue ST Max Elevate 85 steel shafts

Wedges:  Cleveland CBX zipcore steel 46*, 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey Tri-hot 5K Rossie

Ball:  Titleist ProV1 or AVX

8 hours ago, Shinnman said:

Any comparison to the Apex UW?  Seems like same type of Hywood.  

I can't comment on the Apex as I have no experience with it. 

Cleveland

I hit multiple shots in a scramble this past weekend with the HyWood and it was flat out awesome. Great trajectory, and very consistent. I tend to hit a baby fade with fairways and hybrids off the deck and this club was no exception - every shot went around 210-215 with a tiny fade at the end. 

I tried to hit a safe tee shot on a dogleg where I needed to be 190 out, so I choked up and tried to take a little off. I ended up blowing right through the bend and was in the rough. That's how easy it is to make shots with this club. As someone who never really got along with hybrids and preferred fairway woods, this club is the ultimate combo of both. And the rails on the bottom are no joke when it comes to helping you get through the turf. 

12 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

I hit multiple shots in a scramble this past weekend with the HyWood and it was flat out awesome. Great trajectory, and very consistent. I tend to hit a baby fade with fairways and hybrids off the deck and this club was no exception - every shot went around 210-215 with a tiny fade at the end. 

I tried to hit a safe tee shot on a dogleg where I needed to be 190 out, so I choked up and tried to take a little off. I ended up blowing right through the bend and was in the rough. That's how easy it is to make shots with this club. As someone who never really got along with hybrids and preferred fairway woods, this club is the ultimate combo of both. And the rails on the bottom are no joke when it comes to helping you get through the turf. 

I agree 100% on his comments as this club is the real deal!

Cleveland

17 hours ago, ole gray said:

Yes it's longer than my Mavrik was and just as easy to launch. It's like having a suped up hybrid on steroids.  The shaft length is longer which in it self will give you more distance however I didn't care for the counter balance.  It could work well for you however once I removed an inch off the butt end it was just as long because I like the look and feel of a shorter club which inspires confidence which improves center strikes. If you have the extra bucks I really don't think you will be sorry as this little dude is dynamite. 💣

Thanks Ole Gray and russtopherb for the responses!

Have room for 1 more club in the bag and no other areas of concern, plus it's a very good price for a top brand.
So definitely seems worth a try come next payday!

29 minutes ago, Chris M said:

Thanks Ole Gray and russtopherb for the responses!

Have room for 1 more club in the bag and no other areas of concern, plus it's a very good price for a top brand.
So definitely seems worth a try come next payday!

Definitely try giving it a few swipes before you buy it, I know when I demo'd it I was striping it off a mat, however that thankfully transferred to the course also. 

I will say that I do have concerns over the face; after a few range sessions off grass the black face is already really scraped up. Most likely not anything that'll impact performance, but something I definitely noticed.

I am enjoying the  Hy-wood so much that I decided to put the Launcher XL Halo 7 -wood in my bag.  I will be putting it in play tomorrow at our weekly dogfight.

Cleveland

On 3/22/2022 at 4:57 PM, ole gray said:

Well I picked up one of these fancy halo hy-wood hicky bobs yesterday. I've been having too many misses to the right with my Maverick 3 hybrid lately so after reading reviews and watching some videos, I took the plunge. Let me tell ya, this joker ain't no joke! Like ole George Jones sang "she's hotter than a two dollar pistol" is a fact Jack.  Check out the specs below and we'll chew the wad more on this puppy.

CLUB LOFT HEAD SIZE LIE ANGLE LENGTH SWINGWEIGHT
3+ Hy-Wood 18.0° 143cc 60.5° 41.5" D1 S/R/A

They claim it's a cross between a hybrid and a fairway wood.  It's what comes out after Lassie is bo-hawged by a wolf. It's smart with plenty of bad arse under the hood. It sets up great behind the ball and inspires all kinds of confidence. Then you take your first swing with it and your eyes light up like a june bug in a bass pond. This dawg will hunt! The ball comes off the face quicker than cake off a folk after Fat Albert's starvation diet.

I seriously wonder why Cleveland Golf doesn't have more interest in their hybrids, fairways, and drivers. They're such a big deal when it comes to wedges and I have three of my own so I know they make good stuff. Anyways I'll throw in a few pics and if anyone else owns one of these please share your thoughts in this thread.

Top.jpg

Bottom.jpg

face.jpg

Toe.jpg

shaft.jpg

headcover.jpg

Nice review!  At first glance, the face view and, to a lesser extent, top down profile looks really similar to my G400's.  I think these "morph's" are pretty ingenious actually; trying to leverage the best of and throttle the worst of two club types.  Curious, for comparison with mine, what is your driver or 3w swing speed?  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

What are those dimple shaped markings in the middle of the face?  I've never seen those on any of my clubs.   😝

:callaway-small: Rogue ST MAX, Project X Cypher Black 40 Graphite 5.5

image.png.5437ebe1f69b3330b39e21119440731c.png G425 Max 5-wood

:ping-small: G425 Max 7-wood

:mizuno-small: Hot Metal 921, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Graphite

image.png.6d1f61c2c733ddfac4c3094a971ed4fb.png CBX ZipCore Chrome 52* 56* 60* Wedges

:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Buckingham putter

I hit the 17 degree Apex UW today.  That club is long and forgiving.  Couldn’t try the Hywood as they didn’t have it in stock.  If it’s one and the same the Hywood is the better value. 

Driver: Cobra Aerojet 9* Ventus Red 5S shaft

3W: Cobra Aerojet Max 

Cobra LTDx 3H-5H

7-PW Callaway Rogue ST Max Elevate 85 steel shafts

Wedges:  Cleveland CBX zipcore steel 46*, 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey Tri-hot 5K Rossie

Ball:  Titleist ProV1 or AVX

14 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Nice review!  At first glance, the face view and, to a lesser extent, top down profile looks really similar to my G400's.  I think these "morph's" are pretty ingenious actually; trying to leverage the best of and throttle the worst of two club types.  Curious, for comparison with mine, what is your driver or 3w swing speed?  

Thanks buddy !   My driver swing speed is in the upper 80's to low 90's depending on how much tylenol/aleve I ingest prior round. Getting old at 71 however getting smarter selecting clubs that fit my swing. 

Cleveland

My new 7 - Wood  is the bomb! 💣    It's going to be a mighty little weapon for me on par fives as it launches far and high in the sky then lands like a butterfly with sore feet. 🥰😍

Cleveland

The 7-wood topic got me wondering: what's the difference between the Hy-Wood and a 7-wood? Just loft/head-size? I've got room for another club - no longer need/never hit my 4-iron (GI Sim Max), and was thinking about some kind of hybrid, but have been loving my 7-wood (about 200-210 yards-ish), so not sure I need anything else. 

Absolutely love the look of the 3-hy-wood, fwiw

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

11 hours ago, Samsonite said:

The 7-wood topic got me wondering: what's the difference between the Hy-Wood and a 7-wood? Just loft/head-size? I've got room for another club - no longer need/never hit my 4-iron (GI Sim Max), and was thinking about some kind of hybrid, but have been loving my 7-wood (about 200-210 yards-ish), so not sure I need anything else. 

@ole gray can probably answer this one with a lot more clarity since he has both, but I replaced my Heavenwood (21*) with the HyWood (18*). I get a wee bit more yardage with the HyWood but I have MUCH better forgiveness with the rails helping out on any heavy shots. My Heavenwood was my safety blanket and I have had no reservations about putting it out to pasture in favor of the HyWood so far.

On 5/11/2022 at 9:35 PM, Samsonite said:

The Hy-Wood at 18 degree loft has a more piercing flight and roll out where as the 7-wood has a beautiful high ball flight.  I am able to fade the ball where needed with the Hy-Wood and the 7 - wood has more of draw bias.   Love both of em! 😍

Cleveland