TESTERS WANTED! ×

Cleveland Launcher xl halo hy-wood 18 Degree

ole gray

On 5/12/2022 at 8:45 AM, russtopherb said:

@ole gray can probably answer this one with a lot more clarity since he has both, but I replaced my Heavenwood (21*) with the HyWood (18*). I get a wee bit more yardage with the HyWood but I have MUCH better forgiveness with the rails helping out on any heavy shots. My Heavenwood was my safety blanket and I have had no reservations about putting it out to pasture in favor of the HyWood so far.

Russ, I have always felt the heavenwood was an awkward club, meaning it has a long shaft (5w) with a small head (7w). Does the Hy-Wood give you that same feeling? Like the shaft is too long for the size head? 

40 minutes ago, NC Golfer said:

Russ, I have always felt the heavenwood was an awkward club, meaning it has a long shaft (5w) with a small head (7w). Does the Hy-Wood give you that same feeling? Like the shaft is too long for the size head? 

Heck I cut an inch off mine and it didn't affect anything other than a very accurate and easy to hit club! I removed the 8 gram counter weight in the butt end of the club as it sucked for me.   Love it now 😍

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

1 hour ago, NC Golfer said:

Not at all. On the opposite side of OG I love the counterweighting in the shaft. Makes it feel so smooth for my swing. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

• 2 weeks later...

I hit this club 3x today. One was a dead pull, which was 100% operator error. I was so worried about going right due to water I way overcompensated. 

The other two times I put the ball exactly where I wanted. One was a par 4 where my driver shot ended in the adjacent fairway to the left (man I hate it when groups let me play through 🤣) , my second shot with the HyWood put me 55yards out for a short pitch, right in line with the flag. The other was a par 5 where I had to hit an 8i after my initial driver shot in order to get the trees on the dogleg out of play, I hit the HyWood dead at the flag and ended up 15 feet away from the pin after rolling out.

I’m enjoying my Cleveland 3 Wood , I’m super impressed by this 3 wood . If you’re interested in there woods .

Its the first time I have been on 2 in a long longtime.

It actually went over the green and into a bunker, that I was fortunate to get up and down for bird.

I did have there 3 regular hybrid but didn’t keep it because I like my 4 stealth hybrid more.

image.jpg.55ca8cd25a42e9cc39af22c861e2d722.jpg

Ping G 400 Max 10.5   
willwood irons 4 to pitching wedge Edisonwedges 49 53 57

taylormade big toe 60

Toulon design Las Vegas 

•  

Reading this post and resulting comments triggered my impulse buying response, and I’m very happy with the outcome! Found a Hy-Wood with my desired specs on sale at an online retailer, delivered two days later. Took it to work with me, hit 30 shots on the range before my caddie loop. 28 of 30 went 200-plus yards, with a slight draw or fade. I chunked one, topped the other. Four days later, played 18 with the Hy-Wood in use on almost every hole. Boom! Deep rough? No problem. Uphill, downhill, side hill lie? 95% success rate. It’s in my bag from now on, including during my upcoming two-week golf trip to Ireland this summer!

Thanks to all y’all for publicizing the existence of this awesome club! 

47 minutes ago, Fighting Leprechaun said:

Reading this post and resulting comments triggered my impulse buying response, and I’m very happy with the outcome! Found a Hy-Wood with my desired specs on sale at an online retailer, delivered two days later. Took it to work with me, hit 30 shots on the range before my caddie loop. 28 of 30 went 200-plus yards, with a slight draw or fade. I chunked one, topped the other. Four days later, played 18 with the Hy-Wood in use on almost every hole. Boom! Deep rough? No problem. Uphill, downhill, side hill lie? 95% success rate. It’s in my bag from now on, including during my upcoming two-week golf trip to Ireland this summer!

Thanks to all y’all for publicizing the existence of this awesome club! 

Welcome to the club brother!  Cleveland is definitely a sleeper for the masses and they have no clue how well these clubs work.   Love em! 😍

Cleveland

I'm liking the Hy-Wood. A perfect fit for a half set between driver and strongest iron/weakest hybrid. Excellent off the fairway, smaller head and rails help if one goes astray ...

:ping-small: G425 Max D 44" set to 13*

:ping-small: G430 SFT HL  5W set to 20.5*

:ping-small: G430 HL 5 Hybrid set to 27.5*

:cleveland-small: Launcher XL HALO Full Face 9I 38*

:cleveland-small: CBX2 ZipCore Full Face 54*

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach Soft Premiere 11S 34"

:ping-small: Hoofer Craz-E Lite

On 3/22/2022 at 6:57 PM, ole gray said:

It's what comes out after Lassie is bo-hawged by a wolf.

I stopped reading there - I was laughing too hard!!

But seriously... Now you've got thinking about one of these bad boys!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

@ole gray - question: when you removed the counterbalance weight was it actually in the end of the grip or was it inside the end of the shaft..?? Thx

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

24 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

@ole gray - question: when you removed the counterbalance weight was it actually in the end of the grip or was it inside the end of the shaft..?? Thx

The counter balance weight is inside the butt end of the shaft. 

Cleveland

2 hours ago, NC Golfer said:

@ole gray Which XL Halo club is easier to elevate off the fairway, a hy-wood or 5 wood? 

I only have the hy-wood so I have no comparison to share. In my opinion the 5 wood would elevate the ball a bit higher as it has a 21 degree loft as opposed to the hy-wood at 18 degrees.   From my experience, any choice you make of this model Cleveland will be highly satisfactory!

Cleveland

I probably pulled this club out 7-8 times easily today and it didn't fail me a single time. Best was a 233 yard approach from the rough on a par 5. It came out low but straight and ran up to the green giving me a shot at birdie. My putt ran just past the hole but I wouldn't have even had a chance without the Hy-Wood.

2 hours ago, russtopherb said:

I probably pulled this club out 7-8 times easily today and it didn't fail me a single time. Best was a 233 yard approach from the rough on a par 5. It came out low but straight and ran up to the green giving me a shot at birdie. My putt ran just past the hole but I wouldn't have even had a chance without the Hy-Wood.

All I can say is amen bruther! 💣  Well I will add that every single Cleveland club in my bag has exceeded my expectations. 😍

Cleveland

On 6/4/2022 at 6:45 AM, NC Golfer said:

@ole gray Which XL Halo club is easier to elevate off the fairway, a hy-wood or 5 wood? 

On 6/4/2022 at 9:38 AM, ole gray said:

I only have the hy-wood so I have no comparison to share. In my opinion the 5 wood would elevate the ball a bit higher as it has a 21 degree loft as opposed to the hy-wood at 18 degrees.   From my experience, any choice you make of this model Cleveland will be highly satisfactory!

I think @ole gray might have made a mistake here. His 7 wood is probably 21* and that is what he thought you were referring to? The 5 wood is either 18 or 19, I can’t remember which.

As for which one will hit the ball higher, I think the Hy-wood is designed to give the higher ball flight, but will give you a bit less distance than two comparably struck shots.
If you follow such things, Rick Shiels does an excellent comparison between the two clubs on his YouTube channel breaking down all his numbers with both.
I stink with FWs, so for me the Hy-wood is the much better option. I find it much easier to elevate than my regular 3 hybrid. Distance depends on strike quality. As far as forgiveness I’m not sure, the shorter the shaft the better I hit a club (except driver). If I had to choose, I’dsay that in order, I prefer Hy-wood, 3 hybrid, 5 wood.
The reason I give the Hy-wood the nod is my 18* club is often used on either par 5’s or long par 4 second shots, and a lot of times those need to carry either water or waste areas where I play, so I need the carry distance. If I were playing more links style, wide open courses I’d go with the 3 hybrid for the low bullets that run out forever.

Edited by Grand Stranded

Driver:          :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:      :ping-small: G425 Max 14*5* & 17.5*

Hybrids:      :ping-small: G425 Max 22* & 26*

Irons:           :callaway-small: Apex DCB 6-AW

Wedges:      :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:         :EVNROLL:  ER7  34”

11 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

I think @ole gray might have made a mistake here. His 7 wood is probably 21* and that is what he thought you were referring to? The 5 wood is either 18 or 19, I can’t remember which.

As for which one will hit the ball higher, I think the Hy-wood is designed to give the higher ball flight, but will give you a bit less distance than two comparably struck shots.
If you follow such things, Rick Shiels does an excellent comparison between the two clubs on his YouTube channel breaking down all his numbers with both.
I stink with FWs, so for me the Hy-wood is the much better option. I find it much easier to elevate than my regular 3 hybrid. Distance depends on strike quality. As far as forgiveness I’m not sure, the shorter the shaft the better I hit a club (except driver). If I had to choose, I’dsay that in order, I prefer Hy-wood, 3 hybrid, 5 wood.
The reason I give the Hy-wood the nod is my 18* club is often used on either par 5’s or long par 4 second shots, and a lot of times those need to carry either water or waste areas where I play, so I need the carry distance. If I were playing more links style, wide open courses I’d go with the 3 hybrid for the low bullets that run out forever.

You are correct sir!  7 wood is 21 degrees and Hy-wood 18.

Cleveland

19 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

Thanks @Grand Stranded  that helps. I have the XL Halo irons and thought either of these would be a nice option. Also, what flex do you play in the hy-wood? I have a Sr in the irons. But, was thinking regular shaft for the hy-wood.

Edited by NC Golfer

1 minute ago, NC Golfer said:

Thanks @Grand Stranded  that helps. I have the XL Halo irons and thought either of these would be a nice option. Also, what flex do you play in the hy-wood? I have a Sr in the irons. But, was thinking regular shaft for the hy-wood.

I play the Senior flex in my Halo irons also. I had the regular flex Hy-wood, but switched it to Senior once Cleveland had the LH heads available a few weeks ago. I haven’t been able to hit the Senior flex yet because sciatica has kept me from playing recently.

If I were you, I’d go the Senior also. 1. I’m not a fan of having two different flexes unless it’s absolutely necessary, and 2. when I hit both, the salesman said with my SS I was right on the edge and could play the regular flex, but “ none of us are getting any younger or faster”. That remark hit home with me.

Driver:          :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:      :ping-small: G425 Max 14*5* & 17.5*

Hybrids:      :ping-small: G425 Max 22* & 26*

Irons:           :callaway-small: Apex DCB 6-AW

Wedges:      :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:         :EVNROLL:  ER7  34”

On 6/13/2022 at 6:16 PM, NC Golfer said:

How are you liking your irons?  I absolutely love mine  😍.   At one time I had them up for sale due to the counter balance however after a slight modification they are gold!

Cleveland

They are growing me. I believe going from a stiffer regular shaft to the light and more flexible shaft was an adjustment. But, with each game, it gets better. The club head itself just works. Also, I had the club ordered plus a half inch and there was no counter balanced weight. There not much talk about the weight from all players. 

On 6/13/2022 at 6:25 PM, Grand Stranded said:

I play the Senior flex in my Halo irons also. I had the regular flex Hy-wood, but switched it to Senior once Cleveland had the LH heads available a few weeks ago. I haven’t been able to hit the Senior flex yet because sciatica has kept me from playing recently.

If I were you, I’d go the Senior also. 1. I’m not a fan of having two different flexes unless it’s absolutely necessary, and 2. when I hit both, the salesman said with my SS I was right on the edge and could play the regular flex, but “ none of us are getting any younger or faster”. That remark hit home with me.

Thanks, for the feedback. Good point, we're not getting any younger. I was figuring I would eventually grow into these sr shafts. It's funny I used to overswing on the backswing and, looking like John Daly, now I can barely get the club to 3/4's.

6 hours ago, NC Golfer said:

They are growing me. I believe going from a stiffer regular shaft to the light and more flexible shaft was an adjustment. But, with each game, it gets better. The club head itself just works. Also, I had the club ordered plus a half inch and there was no counter balanced weight. There not much talk about the weight from all players. 

I'm 71 and play the regular flex 1/2 inch shorter than standard.  I cut them down to remove the CB weight as it did not work for me. I'm 6'2" with long arms and the shorter clubs work very well for me.  I'm hitting the center of the face better so that's what it's about. 

Cleveland

This Hy-wood is AWESOME!  Knocked one close on a par 5 today for eagle. Hit two more pro like shots that had my playing partners drooling like a new coon pup on his first treeing! 😍

Cleveland

I hit some great second shots with the Hy Wood today.

I also came in FAT 3x on some uphill lies (very hilly course) and even the rails can't help you when you hit 2"+ behind the ball. 

My regular playing partner noted how well I was hitting the HyWood and told me to stick with it. 

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, NC Golfer said:

Hywood ordered! Used the 2X Golf Galaxy rewards points bonus and free shipping. Sr shaft.

One of the best clubs I've ever had the pleasure to hit! Enjoy !!

Cleveland

On 7/14/2022 at 6:10 AM, ole gray said:

One of the best clubs I've ever had the pleasure to hit! Enjoy !!

Thanks, @ole gray. I demo'd them on a range at a demo day and compared it to the 5 wood. The 5 wood was longer with some left to right. But, the hy-wood was much easier to launch and it went straight. I've always strugged with fairway woods. Looks like this club will solve the problem. Plus, a nice match to my XL Halo irons.

4 hours ago, NC Golfer said:

Thanks, @ole gray. I demo'd them on a range at a demo day and compared it to the 5 wood. The 5 wood was longer with some left to right. But, the hy-wood was much easier to launch and it went straight. I've always strugged with fairway woods. Looks like this club will solve the problem. Plus, a nice match to my XL Halo irons.

Enjoy and post up after you've had some on course time.

Cleveland