Cleveland Launcher xl halo hy-wood 18 Degree

ole gray

29 minutes ago, Chris M said:

Thanks Ole Gray and russtopherb for the responses!

Have room for 1 more club in the bag and no other areas of concern, plus it's a very good price for a top brand.
So definitely seems worth a try come next payday!

Definitely try giving it a few swipes before you buy it, I know when I demo'd it I was striping it off a mat, however that thankfully transferred to the course also. 

I will say that I do have concerns over the face; after a few range sessions off grass the black face is already really scraped up. Most likely not anything that'll impact performance, but something I definitely noticed.

• Like 1

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:callaway-small: Mavrik Max 10.5* R Flex Evenflow RipTide
:cleveland-small: Hy-Wood
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact

I am enjoying the  Hy-wood so much that I decided to put the Launcher XL Halo 7 -wood in my bag.  I will be putting it in play tomorrow at our weekly dogfight.

• Like 5

Cleveland Launcher XL 10.5 Driver
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 7- wood
Cleveland Launcher XL Irons 5 - PW 
Cleveland CBX 2 50 & 54 Degree Wedge
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier 11

On 3/22/2022 at 4:57 PM, ole gray said:

Well I picked up one of these fancy halo hy-wood hicky bobs yesterday. I've been having too many misses to the right with my Maverick 3 hybrid lately so after reading reviews and watching some videos, I took the plunge. Let me tell ya, this joker ain't no joke! Like ole George Jones sang "she's hotter than a two dollar pistol" is a fact Jack.  Check out the specs below and we'll chew the wad more on this puppy.

CLUB LOFT HEAD SIZE LIE ANGLE LENGTH SWINGWEIGHT
3+ Hy-Wood 18.0° 143cc 60.5° 41.5" D1 S/R/A

They claim it's a cross between a hybrid and a fairway wood.  It's what comes out after Lassie is bo-hawged by a wolf. It's smart with plenty of bad arse under the hood. It sets up great behind the ball and inspires all kinds of confidence. Then you take your first swing with it and your eyes light up like a june bug in a bass pond. This dawg will hunt! The ball comes off the face quicker than cake off a folk after Fat Albert's starvation diet.

I seriously wonder why Cleveland Golf doesn't have more interest in their hybrids, fairways, and drivers. They're such a big deal when it comes to wedges and I have three of my own so I know they make good stuff. Anyways I'll throw in a few pics and if anyone else owns one of these please share your thoughts in this thread.

Top.jpg

Bottom.jpg

face.jpg

Toe.jpg

shaft.jpg

headcover.jpg

Nice review!  At first glance, the face view and, to a lesser extent, top down profile looks really similar to my G400's.  I think these "morph's" are pretty ingenious actually; trying to leverage the best of and throttle the worst of two club types.  Curious, for comparison with mine, what is your driver or 3w swing speed?  

• Like 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

What are those dimple shaped markings in the middle of the face?  I've never seen those on any of my clubs.   😝

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

:callaway-small: Epic Max Driver, 9*, Project X HZRDUS Smoke 50g

:callaway-small: Epic Max 3-wood,  Project X HZRDUS Smoke 

:ping-small: G425 Max 7-wood

:mizuno-small: Hot Metal 921, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Graphite

:Sub70:       286 Forged Wedges, 52* and 56*

:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Buckingham putter

I hit the 17 degree Apex UW today.  That club is long and forgiving.  Couldn’t try the Hywood as they didn’t have it in stock.  If it’s one and the same the Hywood is the better value. 

• Like 2

Driver: Cobra LTDx 9*

3W TM Mini 300 11.5*

Apex UW 17* and 21 *

5H Callaway BB21

7-PW Callaway Rogue ST Max Elevate 85 shafts

Wedges:  Cleveland CBX zipcore 46*, 50*, CBX 54*, CBX2 58*

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Ten

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft X 

14 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Nice review!  At first glance, the face view and, to a lesser extent, top down profile looks really similar to my G400's.  I think these "morph's" are pretty ingenious actually; trying to leverage the best of and throttle the worst of two club types.  Curious, for comparison with mine, what is your driver or 3w swing speed?  

Thanks buddy !   My driver swing speed is in the upper 80's to low 90's depending on how much tylenol/aleve I ingest prior round. Getting old at 71 however getting smarter selecting clubs that fit my swing. 

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

My new 7 - Wood  is the bomb! 💣    It's going to be a mighty little weapon for me on par fives as it launches far and high in the sky then lands like a butterfly with sore feet. 🥰😍

• Like 1

The 7-wood topic got me wondering: what's the difference between the Hy-Wood and a 7-wood? Just loft/head-size? I've got room for another club - no longer need/never hit my 4-iron (GI Sim Max), and was thinking about some kind of hybrid, but have been loving my 7-wood (about 200-210 yards-ish), so not sure I need anything else. 

Absolutely love the look of the 3-hy-wood, fwiw

• Like 2

Driver - :cobra-small: King Speedzone, 9 degrees, HZRDS Smoke 65g / Lag Shot driver, lol
3/5 Wood - Warrior Golf (don't ask)
Utility - :cobra-small: King Utility - 2 Iron
Irons (4-PW) - :taylormade-small:- SIM Max, Nippon Modus Tour 105 Stiff
Wedges (52, 56, 60) - Kirkland Signature 
Putter - :1332069271_TommyArmour: 303 Milled Series - Serrano
Ball - Snell MTB Black/Kirkland Signature 2.0

11 hours ago, Samsonite said:

The 7-wood topic got me wondering: what's the difference between the Hy-Wood and a 7-wood? Just loft/head-size? I've got room for another club - no longer need/never hit my 4-iron (GI Sim Max), and was thinking about some kind of hybrid, but have been loving my 7-wood (about 200-210 yards-ish), so not sure I need anything else. 

@ole gray can probably answer this one with a lot more clarity since he has both, but I replaced my Heavenwood (21*) with the HyWood (18*). I get a wee bit more yardage with the HyWood but I have MUCH better forgiveness with the rails helping out on any heavy shots. My Heavenwood was my safety blanket and I have had no reservations about putting it out to pasture in favor of the HyWood so far.

• Like 3

On 5/11/2022 at 9:35 PM, Samsonite said:

The Hy-Wood at 18 degree loft has a more piercing flight and roll out where as the 7-wood has a beautiful high ball flight.  I am able to fade the ball where needed with the Hy-Wood and the 7 - wood has more of draw bias.   Love both of em! 😍

• Like 2

Great info everyone! I was wondering how these played. This just moved them up the list!

• Like 2

Dsweet the hack

On 5/12/2022 at 8:45 AM, russtopherb said:

@ole gray can probably answer this one with a lot more clarity since he has both, but I replaced my Heavenwood (21*) with the HyWood (18*). I get a wee bit more yardage with the HyWood but I have MUCH better forgiveness with the rails helping out on any heavy shots. My Heavenwood was my safety blanket and I have had no reservations about putting it out to pasture in favor of the HyWood so far.

Russ, I have always felt the heavenwood was an awkward club, meaning it has a long shaft (5w) with a small head (7w). Does the Hy-Wood give you that same feeling? Like the shaft is too long for the size head? 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, NC Golfer said:

Russ, I have always felt the heavenwood was an awkward club, meaning it has a long shaft (5w) with a small head (7w). Does the Hy-Wood give you that same feeling? Like the shaft is too long for the size head? 

Heck I cut an inch off mine and it didn't affect anything other than a very accurate and easy to hit club! I removed the 8 gram counter weight in the butt end of the club as it sucked for me.   Love it now 😍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NC Golfer said:

Not at all. On the opposite side of OG I love the counterweighting in the shaft. Makes it feel so smooth for my swing. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I hit this club 3x today. One was a dead pull, which was 100% operator error. I was so worried about going right due to water I way overcompensated. 

The other two times I put the ball exactly where I wanted. One was a par 4 where my driver shot ended in the adjacent fairway to the left (man I hate it when groups let me play through 🤣) , my second shot with the HyWood put me 55yards out for a short pitch, right in line with the flag. The other was a par 5 where I had to hit an 8i after my initial driver shot in order to get the trees on the dogleg out of play, I hit the HyWood dead at the flag and ended up 15 feet away from the pin after rolling out.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I’m enjoying my Cleveland 3 Wood , I’m super impressed by this 3 wood . If you’re interested in there woods .

Its the first time I have been on 2 in a long longtime.

It actually went over the green and into a bunker, that I was fortunate to get up and down for bird.

I did have there 3 regular hybrid but didn’t keep it because I like my 4 stealth hybrid more.

image.jpg.55ca8cd25a42e9cc39af22c861e2d722.jpg

• Like 2

Ping G 400 Max 10.5   
willwood irons 4 to pitching wedge Edisonwedges 49 53 57

taylormade big toe 60

Toulon design Las Vegas 

•  

Reading this post and resulting comments triggered my impulse buying response, and I’m very happy with the outcome! Found a Hy-Wood with my desired specs on sale at an online retailer, delivered two days later. Took it to work with me, hit 30 shots on the range before my caddie loop. 28 of 30 went 200-plus yards, with a slight draw or fade. I chunked one, topped the other. Four days later, played 18 with the Hy-Wood in use on almost every hole. Boom! Deep rough? No problem. Uphill, downhill, side hill lie? 95% success rate. It’s in my bag from now on, including during my upcoming two-week golf trip to Ireland this summer!

Thanks to all y’all for publicizing the existence of this awesome club! 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Fighting Leprechaun said:

Reading this post and resulting comments triggered my impulse buying response, and I’m very happy with the outcome! Found a Hy-Wood with my desired specs on sale at an online retailer, delivered two days later. Took it to work with me, hit 30 shots on the range before my caddie loop. 28 of 30 went 200-plus yards, with a slight draw or fade. I chunked one, topped the other. Four days later, played 18 with the Hy-Wood in use on almost every hole. Boom! Deep rough? No problem. Uphill, downhill, side hill lie? 95% success rate. It’s in my bag from now on, including during my upcoming two-week golf trip to Ireland this summer!

Thanks to all y’all for publicizing the existence of this awesome club! 

Welcome to the club brother!  Cleveland is definitely a sleeper for the masses and they have no clue how well these clubs work.   Love em! 😍

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I'm liking the Hy-Wood. A perfect fit for a half set between driver and strongest iron/weakest hybrid. Excellent off the fairway, smaller head and rails help if one goes astray ...

• Like 2

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo Driver 12* 44.5"

:cleveland-small: Launcher XL Halo Hy-Wood 18*

:ping-small: G425 5H 26*

:cleveland-small: Launcher XL Halo 8I 34.5*

:cleveland-small: Launcher XL Halo PW 44*

:cleveland-small: CBX2 SW 54*

:odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Rossie P 33*

:ping-small: Craz-E-Lite bag 

On 3/22/2022 at 6:57 PM, ole gray said:

It's what comes out after Lassie is bo-hawged by a wolf.

I stopped reading there - I was laughing too hard!!

But seriously... Now you've got thinking about one of these bad boys!

• Haha 1

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Big Bertha B21 driver (Recoil ES 450/F3)
..Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 (UST ProForce V2-HL 5/F3)
..Callaway Epic Max 5W (PX Cypher 50/5.0)
..Callaway Big Bertha 4H and 5H (both Recoil ZT9/F3)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT 60/A) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
..EvnRoll ER5 or MLA XDream (Edel EAS 4.0 on the bench)
..all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)