TESTERS WANTED! ×

End of range of motion putting

I suspect some of you are already familiar with this concept. It's most notable proponent is Bryson, who has been one of the very best putters on Tour the past couple of years. And it's not limited to arm lock putting.

The basic idea is related to our normal understanding of strong and weak grips. A strong grip typically encourages the face to close through impact; a weak grip the opposite.

What Bryson does is turn his lead arm as weak as possible and his trail arm as strong as possible. If you try this, you'll see that it makes it really hard to move the face around.

Most of us have a predominant miss when putting. For me, it's a pull. And so this morning, I experimenting with turning my lead hand (I putt slightly left-hand low) very, very weak.

The immediate results were quite promising. I felt like I could make a very free stroke without any fear of a left, pull miss.

Has anyone else experimented with this?

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

33 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Has anyone else experimented with this?

Yep.  Lots of ways to move a putter and take a stance and as part of the lesson I took we talked about sources of motion and how these things influenced the stroke.  Part if the decision process was experimenting to make informed choices and find correct matchups.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Nope.  I have a very short followthrough... not Snedeker short, but close.  My right hand guides the stroke; left hand is along for the ride, so best for me is to get palms facing each other.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

17 hours ago, Haro said:

Is that the idea for the claw? 
When I turn my trail arm to claw I don’t think I can pull the putt as much or at least takes one variable out for pulling.
The trail hand turning over too much  

It's related, but in some sense, even more extreme. The claw works by reducing the influence that the trail hand has on the stroke. End-of-range-of-movement would mean that you take your trail arm, turn it as far as possible in one direction, and then take your grip. For instance, this image from golf.com shows how Bryson turns his lead arm as counterclockwise as possible and his trail arm as clockwise as possible:

image.png

If you try this, you'll see that your ability to rotate the face of the putter at becomes very restricted, which is the point. It's also why I get how someone like @jlukes would quickly find it intolerable. It's very mechanical.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

It does seem like an interesting idea and of course is something that Bryson would come up with. I saw it in one of his videos on YouTube a while back. have not given it a try, but if things go south you never know might be worth a shot.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

On 3/24/2022 at 9:51 AM, jlukes said:

Tried it and it is disaster for me. Putting is the strongest part of my game and I’m a right hand dominant putter that releases the putter head through the stroke 

this method felt absolutely awful and I had absolutely no feel or distance control with this setup and subsequent stroke

lol, who messes with the strongest part of their game?   If it ain't broke, blah blah blah..

Paul Runyan, (aka "Little Poison"), who had the best short game on tour for many years, advocated this kind of grip, though he did it with his arms quite bent. He sort of bent over with really bent arms and his hands both turned under the bottom of the shaft/grip. Bryson does it with straight arms, Runyan with very bent arms. There are a lot of youtube videos on him and putting and the short game. 

Driver: TM M1 9.5*

4W: Wishon bent FLAT

Irons: Mizuno MP20MB

Wedges: 50/55/60 Mizuno

Putter: Evnroll ER2