Idiot golfer orders a set of blades

Hook DeLoft

That right.  I ordered a set of PXG 0211 ST's, 6 thru gap.  Given my ball striking, the likelihood of me playing them more than a few times a year is slim but I just sold some stuff and couldn't resist.  I have an old set of Wilson FG17 Staff irons that I hit occasionally which are surprisingly forgiving for a blade but I need graphite.  I'm hoping the new irons will have that pure feel we all crave.

• Like 8

14 of the following:

Ping G425 Max

Callaway Epic Max 5 wood

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

PXG 0311P Gen. 3  6-GW

PXG 0211 5-GW

PXG 0211 sand wedge bent to 53 degrees

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Not a idiot. I had cobra amp cell pro irons as my main set for a long time and was about a 15 or so hdcp. For me learned a lot and loved the feel and look of them. May have not suited me the best but man I loved playing them.

• Like 6

⛳🛄 as of April 15, 2022

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero - Set at 9.5* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 

Not an idiot. I've thought of having a set of all out blades because I had persimmons and blades for the first 20 years I played so I know how good they feel when you pure one (and more rewarding), and I prefer what I call traditional lofts. But I know I would be punished severely from a scoring perspective (and stinging hands from time to time) without something more forgiving, so I play a club that falls somewhere between both extremes. Everyone should play what they want to, whether it makes sense to others or not - it's your money. Many pros don't even play all out blades like muscle backs any more...so there's room for all choices.

• Like 4
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B Fit@TrueSpec ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Adidas Codechaos, FJ DryJoys

I think the graphite shafts will take out most of the sting from bad shots.  I saw a couple of things on line recently that showed that blades lose very little on heel contact and I thought, "Hey, I can miss it on the heel!"  As much as I complain about my ball striking, it has been slowly improving for the last 18 months.  After decades of not taking divots, I'm now hitting down on the ball and getting a better ball flight.  The big fight is mental.  I have to be very disciplined to make the right swing.

• Like 6

14 of the following:

Ping G425 Max

Callaway Epic Max 5 wood

PXG 0311P Gen. 3  6-GW

PXG 0211 5-GW

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Nothing will bring me more joy playing golf than a flushed 7 iron blade. Not even lower scores as I’ll never be as good as I once was. Plus my short game and driver is what cost me shots. Not my iron play. If a more forgiving iron would be beneficial I think the advantage is most noticeable in the long irons. So I have decided to throw in the bag irons 4-6 of T100. 

On 3/26/2022 at 9:03 AM, Hook DeLoft said:

That right.  I ordered a set of PXG 0211 ST's, 6 thru gap.  Given my ball striking, the likelihood of me playing them more than a few times a year is slim but I just sold some stuff and couldn't resist.  I have an old set of Wilson FG17 Staff irons that I hit occasionally which are surprisingly forgiving for a blade but I need graphite.  I'm hoping the new irons will have that pure feel we all crave.

... Yup I agree, you are an idiot ... but probably a happy idiot. Not much is more fun than playing MB's IF you don't care about your score. This game is much more simple than most of us make it out to be. Kinda like pronating when walking and an orthopedic or after market shoe insert can help you walk with feet more neutral but you buy those very cool looking shoes. Look great and make you happy but your feet suffer and by the end of the round walking isn't an easy endeavor. But get the right insert and the right shoes and walking is virtually pain free even if they don't look nearly as cool. Same reason that someone battling a fade or slice can buy a draw biased driver. 

... That said, I think everyone serious about golf should have a set or have at least played one set of MB's in their golfing life. I know some like to claim nirvana on a perfectly struck MB but I cannot tell the difference between a perfectly struck MB or a perfectly struck CB as long as they are both a soft carbon steel. MB's are just fun and remind you why you don't play them. 🤪

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Driver:     :cobra-small: LTDx 10.5* ... AD-IZ 6SR
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/16.5/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
                 :taylormade-small: DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
                  :taylormade-small: Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:        :cobra-small: 4-Pw MIM Tour ... Steelfiber i95R
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 50*/MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber i95R
Putter:      :cleveland-small: Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:           :taylormade-small: Maxfli Tour '22/TP5x '21

I am a 6 handicap and am currently playing a set of Titleist 718 MB's and they are goddam glorious. Fine....I am not good enough to play these but I can confirm that I maybe 1 to 2 strokes better on a bad day with my T100's.... can I use those 1 or 2 strokes..... absolutely but I'll won't be told what to do....and you are NOT an idiot. Also, it's true you concentrate way more using the MB's. 

40 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Yup I agree, you are an idiot ... but probably a happy idiot. Not much is more fun than playing MB's IF you don't care about your score. This game is much more simple than most of us make it out to be. Kinda like pronating when walking and an orthopedic or after market shoe insert can help you walk with feet more neutral but you buy those very cool looking shoes. Look great and make you happy but your feet suffer and by the end of the round walking isn't an easy endeavor. But get the right insert and the right shoes and walking is virtually pain free even if they don't look nearly as cool. Same reason that someone battling a fade or slice can buy a draw biased driver. 

... That said, I think everyone serious about golf should at least have a set or at least played one set of MB's in their golfing life. I know some like to claim nirvana on a perfectly struck MB but cannot tell the difference between a perfectly struck MB or a perfectly struck CB as long as they are both a soft carbon steel. MB's are just fun and remind you why you don't play them. 🤪

The feel and flight of the MBs are exactly why I play them. Now I will admit I do not hit or play my 62 FC Macs as well as the signature set but I love those things especially playing my vintage rounds with persimmon too where scores do not matter. But when it comes down to brass tacks the signature set is on the line. And that is not because I am macho but those work best for me and I have all the confidence in the world in them

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 3

Driver ---- Honma G1_X Stock tuned Honma R shaft---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label R-- PW M-85 Macgregor 48* S-400 Sensicore --- SW  Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- LW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Original Reuter Bulls Eye Standard---. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand

Hi, I actually play the PXG 0211 irons,,,have no fear-they are really NOT a true blade. I have played true blades for years and dropped back to these because they do look like a blade but they play much more forgiving. And you are not an idiot for wanting new clubs-just a realist....technology improves the breed and will improve your outcome! 

• Like 1

Golf Gear Head

Bought ST 211 also a few months back: 6 - W Nippon 850 steel shaft, even though have Gen 3 T & P sets. Only was able to play a few rounds with them on Nov - Dec for various reasons. Got them out Jan & still think there great even tho only did couple 9 holers.  They look & especially , feel so good. Hoping to get to playing in April & getting that feeling again.  And yes I am an iron junkie. But, think Ive found MY SET!

4 hours ago, chisag said:

... That said, I think everyone serious about golf should at least have a set or at least played one set of MB's in their golfing life. I know some like to claim nirvana on a perfectly struck MB but cannot tell the difference between a perfectly struck MB or a perfectly struck CB as long as they are both a soft carbon steel. MB's are just fun and remind you why you don't play them. 🤪

What's bad is when you still slice the ball with that draw bias driver that you paid $549 for. 😬

• Haha 6

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  7 - PW T100S, 4 -6 T200 all with Nippon NS Pro 880 AMC Chrome Stiff 

Irons: :cobra-small: 4 - PW King Forged Tec with Aerotech Steelfiber I95 Stiff

Wedges:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 56*, 60*  Standard Wedge Shafts   

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5           
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1 or Maxfli Tour

Your not an idiot.  A couple of members at my club bought 0211 ST and love them, too.  I cannot believe the significant drop in price for the 0211 STs.

Enjoy the new clubs!

:titelist-small: Linksmaster bag or MacKenzie golf baggolf bag:

:titelist-small: TSi2 11° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6 stiff A1 setting Tour Velvet grip

:titelist-small:   TSi2 16.5°and 21° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7 stiff A1 setting Tour Velvet grip

:titelist-small:  T200 Utility Build 22° Graphite Design Tour AD 85 HY stiff 1.5° flat Tour Velvet grip

:titelist-small:  2021 T200 5-W (48°) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 105 stiff 1.5° flat Tour Velvet grip 

:vokey-small:  SM9 48.10F Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 105 stiff 1.5° flat 52.12F and 58.10S Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 stiff 1° flat Tour Velvet grip

Scotty Cameron   2020 Special Select Newport 34" 350g

ArccosSig.jpg.ebcfd079607adabd46a71d6125ee2ab6.jpg P3 sensor, Caddy Smart grips and Apple Watch

:titelist-small:  ProV1x

Just got notification that they are shipping today. Scheduled delivery is Friday. Woo hoo!

• Like 6
  • Love 2

14 of the following:

Ping G425 Max

Callaway Epic Max 5 wood

PXG 0311P Gen. 3  6-GW

PXG 0211 5-GW

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Have fun with those! And to clarify, we are all idiots... just in different areas 😄

I played Mizuno MP59 when I was still shooting 110 🥰

• Like 3

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I love the thought of having blades again but my propensity to hit in the heel of the golf club lately would just mean that I was paying for sore hands from all the vibration.

I'm lazy at interneting...

There was a time when I would have agreed with you mainly because I couldn't understand not caring about shooting the lowest score possible.

I now realize that the object of the game is to have fun.  There is something to be said for having clubs in your bag that you like.  Enjoy them!

• Like 1

Taylor Made Stealth 10.5  Aldila Ascent Red R flex

Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 5-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Still on that elusive hunt for a 3 wood that I'm able to hit - I don't know why, I crush the 5 wood and it's really a 4 wood anyway. 

I bought the new PXG driver a month ago. Love it!  Getting a new PXG putter Thursday.  It's the annual rite of spring because you know.  It's not my swing!  😎.  It's what we do.  Amirite?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

PXG GEN 4 Driver 0811 X

:cobra-small:  Cobra F8 Fairway Woods, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8

:mizuno-small:  Mizuno Hot Metal JPC 921 Irons

PXG O211 V42 Putter

Maxfli Tour X Golf Ball

🇺🇸

I saw this topic thread and thought I had posted it lol. Just snagged some Mizuno JPX 919 Tours on eBay thinking they were a cavity backed iron, but not quite in the “Game Improvement” category. They come in Wednesday or Thursday. Hopefully I can hit something longer than an 8 iron. Good luck with your blades as well!

• Like 1

Jordan Vollmar Conley